No graphics / USB / Audio after wake

anor4k

586 posts in this topic

Is it true that success with Radeon+Intel wakeup is possible only with legacy Clover?

Here it works in UEFI mode, but not with UEFI only, where i see the aptiofixdrv screen and those pluses then again black screen until desktop appears

I have same success.

1. Legacy clover boot.

2. CSM enabled.

3. IGFX primary.

4. Memory for IGFX = 32Mb. Not more! This is the key.

5. VGA monitor connected to Intel HD3000. It shows me BIOS, Clover GUI and verbose messages (-v).

6. DVI monitor connected to Radeon HD6670. It shines up only when enter desktop.

When I go to sleep first Radeon switched off. Screen from Intel remains on the monitor at least 20 seconds. Then all sleeps.

When I wake up first Intel monitor shows something then DVI monitor wakes up to desktop.

It's a pity this is legacy Clover. Anyway it works as swiss clocks.

I went by the same approach to the problem, good idea. I've got multi monitor setup, but the difference is both my displays are digital. So I changed HD4600 framebuffer from 0 outputs (0x04120004) to 3 outputs (0x0d220003) and decided to see what will happen when I plug main display to the Radeon and second to the HD4600.. Guess what. I don't have to do a blind boot anymore (since I have output from HD4600 on second monitor), sleep works without a problem (but I don't have that delay you have on HD3000). What's more interesting, when I run Unreal Heaven benchmark I can move the window across these two displays and framerate does not change a bit. So it would mean, that OS X is getting computing power from Radeon and transfers generated image to the HD4600. Unfortunately that way doesn't work on Windows, so when you run graphical app on HD4600 display it just takes HD4600 computing power which means low fps. Anyway, it works for me, since second monitor is only the extension of my workspace. 

About Legacy, you mean running Clover traditional way (MBR boot)? If it's the case I run it by UEFI boot.

@edit: Checked what happens with CSM=off. As expected CSM=off <=> SetPowerState fail on both GPUs <=> black screen on wake

Unfortunately useless for me and most users.

I am not sure about "most users". Your CPU also has Intel HD Graphics.

I agree we need better solution. If someone found new appoarch I will join to research.

@edit: Checked what happens with CSM=off. As expected CSM=off SetPowerState fail on both GPUs black screen on wake

Somehow setPowerState depends on CSM presence. It is strange as Mac OSX shouldn't depend on legacy BIOS.

Somehow setPowerState depends on CSM presence. It is strange as Mac OSX shouldn't depend on legacy BIOS.

Well, not really strange as Apple added a CSM to their EFI years ago. My 2011 Mac mini's EFI has CSM enabled because it is able to boot DOS from a USB pen drive. The only strange fact is the question why they decided to depend on it with El Capitan whereas everybody else is moving away from legacy BIOS.

Mieze

Updated 10.11.3 El Capitan and radeon awake without problems.
My configuration:
1. bios main onboard, and always active.
2. Secondary Radeon.

The start will be blind,, but I've had success with this configuration. As for the acceleration I unplugged the onboard, and perfect.
I restarted only plugged Radeon and wake up smoothly and acceleration ok. Only I had plugged during migration to El Capitan Yosemite the Onboard.
USB, sound, everything ok.

Cheers

After updating the BIOS of my Asrock B85 Killer to version 1.90 I decided to give the Radeon R9 270X another try because the BIOS now respects the choice you made with regard to the primary GPU and I have good news to report: The Radeon cards wakes up now with El Capitan 10.11.3!

This is the BIOS configuration I used:

• Primary GPU: Onboard
  • Fast Boot: Fast
  • CSM: Enabled
  • Launch Video Op ROM: Legacy only

I'm using system definition iMac15,1 and added the following properties to the "Graphics" section of Clover's config.plist:

<key>ig-platform-id</key>
	<string>0x0412000b</string>
	<key>FBName</key>
	<string>Namako</string>
	<key>Inject</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Intel</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ATI</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

I also had to patch framebuffer Namako with the data of Futomaki in order to make it work with my graphics card as this framebuffer is crucial for a 4k display to wake up properly with this card.

Mieze

Well, I tried this, and I can confirm my screen now wakes up from sleep! But there's a problem: I get horizontal distorted strips everywhere when I move windows around.

This happened to me before when I used the wrong framebuffer, but I've tried Radeon, Namako and Futomaki and they all glitch the same way.

When I'm not using this workaround for sleep, Radeon and Namako do work properly so I'm not sure of what's wrong...

Thanks, but I'm not sure of what that means. Am I supposed to change something inside AMD8000Controller.kext? The plist? And in that case, is it possible to do it from Clover or something like that so it survives updates? Thanks.

Ah, found out by myself. Yes it can be patched using Clover. I'll test it. Thanks.

I confirm the success also with UEFI boot.

So the working combination is

1. CSM enabled

2. Intel graphics set to primary and memory for it=32Mb.

I set Inject: Intel=NO, ATI=YES

My intel graphics is not working in OSX, it shows something only at boot time, and verbose messages from kernel at boot. It means kernel knows Intel video memory address, but uses for desktop ATI graphics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New observation.

With this working configuration I notice that Intel screen keep verbose text until...sleep. After wake the screen is clear.

It is bad. It means RAM state after wake is not exactly the same as before. It explains why Radeon is not waking being main screen.

It is the framebuffer pointed by BootArg that kernel uses to show verbose messages or to draw Apple.

Something like "the memory is free and can be reused". In case of Nvidia it is safe but Radeon no.

• Like 1

Has anyone yet tried 10.11.4, it has new Drivers? Came out yesterday.

If not, I will try now and report back if any differences occur.

same. I am in 10.11.4 from first beta up to yesterday update.

I confirm the success also with UEFI boot.

So the working combination is

1. CSM enabled

2. Intel graphics set to primary and memory for it=32Mb.

I set Inject: Intel=NO, ATI=YES

My intel graphics is not working in OSX, it shows something only at boot time, and verbose messages from kernel at boot. It means kernel knows Intel video memory address, but uses for desktop ATI graphics.

Hi Slice,

My CPU is E3-1230 V2 that no iGPU inside, What am I gonna do?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just upgraded from Yos to Capitan latest 10.11.5.

I have a P9X79 with 3930K (no iGPU) and a R9 280x.

Besides the Asmedia USB3 controller, wake/sleep won't work.

Everything was working fine in Yos.

I think I have to rollback to Yos, I rely a lot on sleep for power saving, maybe Big Sur will somehow address this issue...

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my Club 3D Radeon R9 280X 3GB (royalQueen) card with Asus GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB card. Asus GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB card is ery stable compared to Club 3D Radeon R9 280X, sleep, wake, restart etc works really fine! Asus GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB works really fine with FCPX, After Effects etc.

Unfortunately no wake up from sleep with AMD cards @macOS 10.12  :(

Take it easy, 10.12 is still 6 month away from being ready for productive use and new solutions are just waiting to be found. After all, the same procedure as last year...  :lol:

Mieze

I don't get any ATIFramebuffer error entries in the log, I only get this one: "AMDRadeonX4000_AMDAccelDevice: IOUserClient outputCount count mismatch" and only video doesn't work after waking from sleep, everything else works ok.

GFX injection via DSDT, btw.

Sidequestion: what's the problem of my card being shown as "AMD Radeon HD Pitcairn PRO Prototype OpenGL Engine" on OpenGL Extensions Viewer? In system information it shows correctly as I wrote on my DSDT.

EDIT:

I fixed my USB with DSDT and now, when I wake up from sleep using my USB mouse, I don't get any console errors referring to my graphics card. I only have this:

20/06/16 05:24:40,000 kernel[0]: 002575.172334 AppleUSBEHCIPort@fd400000: AppleUSBHostPort::setPowerStateGated: kPowerStateOn -> kPowerStateSleep

20/06/16 05:24:40,000 kernel[0]: 002575.246984 AppleUSBEHCIPort@fd400000: AppleUSBHostPort::setPowerStateGated: kPowerStateSleep -> kPowerStateOn