OS X El Capitan Test Thread

456 posts in this topic

so should i try to update to dp4? i just did a backup clone from the working dp2.. or what "extra/custom kext/s" do i have to copy where exactly?

Maybe don't update quite yet. In terms of which kexts where, if you're using Clover as bootloader, the ones from EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 into Library/Extensions or System/Library/Extentions of your El Capitan partition (never tested it so I have no idea if that actually works).

I found that you can also revert to DP3 by installing it separately, on top of DP4, from a healthy, bootable OS X partition. Or, in your case, I guess you could just restore your backup. However, I would stay away from DP4 for now, until the issues regarding Clover injection of custom kexts is sorted out and fixed.

the catch is to install the kexts inside L\E or S\L\E before the update. 

Good to know. However I guess you can do it after the fact, as well, from another bootable OS (Yosemite in my case), assuming you installed El Capitan on a separate partition and you did NOT simply replace Yosemite. Right?

I'm on DP3 actually (reinstalled it over DP4, from Yosemite) and I think I'm gonna wait a little bit for an official fix on Clover side, before upgrading to DP4.

• Like 1

install of dp4 got me an error at the end of the installation "installation failed" and destroyed my system (yes i copied a few kexts/not all to s/l/e and l/e..probably wrong way?!) i restored a dp2 backup + updated to dp3 ..seems to be running fine now - i get alot of "symbol not found /cant find symbol errors" while booting btw.. since im booting with usb stick, which version of clover should i install (uefi) and how to to match my working config+smbios with the new ones? i have to reconnect the usb cable of the apple keyboard + pcmouse on the first boot after power off to get it working.. thanks in advance

assuming you installed El Capitan on a separate partition and you did NOT simply replace Yosemite. Right?

yes, I rescued my DP4 install by booting into my Yosemite partition and moving the kexts from EFI/CLOVER into /S/L/E (plus chown root:wheel on them)

DP5 didn't require any post-update maintenance, but other people are reporting DP5's rootless is preventing boot . . .

After restarting the install for PB3 on PB2 (which I only got to work by placing kexts into L/E), the install itself went fine, but afterwards from now on when booting the loader it takes minutes to complete the process bar and stops when it's full. Even with -x. Verbose stops at "Missing Bluetooth Controller" after throwing a bunch of Sandbox System Policy Deny Errors (which don't seem to affect anything). I can boot into Recovery though (where I can see clearly that the update isn't finished still, since I get the "choose language" screen and in DiskUtility the BaseSystem and folders for the installer are still mounted). Do I have to fix USB necessarily to get this to work like explained by pokenguyen?

Update:

I got PB3 to boot after disabling the "Security configuration" option in recovery partition. I bet this ain't good practice? Also anybody here who can tell me where I would access this option from inside OS? Cannot find it myself.

disabling the security in the recovery partition is the safest thing you can do, unless and until bootloader hackers perfect unsigned kext injection into the prelinkedkernel (in /System/Library/PrelinkedKernel), which IMV is not a path I'd willingly go down.

after everything is installed and the prelinkedkernel is updated, you could reenable security. But I've been using OS X since 2000 and I don't see a big need for this level of lock-down. I never install anything that needs my admin password.

let's just hope Apple keeps this security disable option open for us . . . if we lose this, things get hairier.

It's ok. I solved it on my own.

I successfully upgraded my Yosemite to el Capitan via direct upgrade. After install, everything worked including TP Link wireless WIFI. The weird thing was when the Green lan utility started up to connect, it's icon did not appear on the dock. Instead it used the maps icon to visually indicate it was connecting(bounces up and down).

Later I had issues after updating some software and I lost the wireless Ethernet connection. I have been unable to reestablish this. So I upgraded my Yosemite backup with Ethernet done with CC cloner to el Capitan in the hopes of regaining Ethernet connectivity. When I try to connect the Green Lan app has chosen the finder as its dock icon to show connectivity. This did not work.

This is a weird one I know. Any suggestions? I am using a base Optiplex 760 as my hackintosh.

Cheers, Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, the Installer doesn't even start for me :P I created the USB using the createinstallmedia and when I select it from Clover gui it just reboot instantly, my config works with any OS X version from Yosemite and blow, I donno what's wrong :/ Do I have to try the manual USB creation instead of createinstallmedia?

Guys, the Installer doesn't even start for me :P I created the USB using the createinstallmedia and when I select it from Clover gui it just reboot instantly, my config works with any OS X version from Yosemite and blow, I donno what's wrong :/ Do I have to try the manual USB creation instead of createinstallmedia?

Have look here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/448-universal-os-x-installer/

• Like 1

tried it (this tool and the other one in the 10.11 sub-forum) and they both fail, the same thing happens, I just click on the Logo, 2 secs after that a line appears quickly (really quick I can't read it) then reboots.

Did you try to put your current Yosemite config.plist and just ad boot args rootless=0 ?

Edit*** and also  ad your DSDT to the patched folder  ;)

there has been lots of discussion around SIP for El Capitan in the clover thread so i won't ellaborate.  this worked well for me:

1) use clover version 3253 or later (I'm am on 3261)

2) then add this your config.plist - which is effectively is like using args kext_dev_mode=1 and rootless=0 (mode/allow unrestricted filesystem and untrusted kexts)

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>

<string>0x3</string>

</dict>

• Like 1

Didn't work, and here is the "mysterious line", a simple panic line:

OK FIXED!!

I found it was RAM problem (as I have a 8GB faulty RAM, it doesn't show correct freq, but other than that it's working), So I manually written RAM values in Clover.

(Dumb OS).

• Like 1

Hello, I've installed El Capitan finally on my PC, its a pretty old budget PC, with Silicon Integrated System, Core 2 Duo and no graphic card supported by Mac, but it run El Capitan.

My thoughts are that El Capitan is way, way faster than Yosemite, since now that Apple use GPU to build core UI, everybody that use GraphicsEnabler=No as stad quo won't have a good experience with Mac, i will stop with Mavericks on this PC.

Yosemite UI is lagly, buged and El Capitan UI difference is on rendering speed is noteable, theres this new feature that auto-hide menubar that i find interesting, split view its interesting too. Now i made a backup with Time Machine, because I'm gonna test some kexts and I'm still trying to find one Atheros AR9285 that going to work in El Capitan, i found only one that worked, where i could see Wifi icon on Login Screen, but after 10 seconds, it kernel panics, but thats it gogogo test.

Screenshot.png

Why would AR9285 give you a KP, i'm using one too, if you have kext inject, I recommend patching DSDT for your card to let it work oob (the patch is in rehabman's repo, may need editing depending on your HW).

Good luck.

Hello, I've installed El Capitan finally on my PC, its a pretty old budget PC, with Silicon Integrated System, Core 2 Duo and no graphic card supported by Mac, but it run El Capitan.

My thoughts are that El Capitan is way, way faster than Yosemite, since now that Apple use GPU to build core UI, everybody that use GraphicsEnabler=No as stad quo won't have a good experience with Mac, i will stop with Mavericks on this PC.

Yosemite UI is lagly, buged and El Capitan UI difference is on rendering speed is noteable, theres this new feature that auto-hide menubar that i find interesting, split view its interesting too. Now i made a backup with Time Machine, because I'm gonna test some kexts and I'm still trying to find one Atheros AR9285 that going to work in El Capitan, i found only one that worked, where i could see Wifi icon on Login Screen, but after 10 seconds, it kernel panics, but thats it gogogo test.

Screenshot.png

Yeah i took AR9285 from a Sony Vaio :< , never gave me problems, I'm not a DSDT user, i can't use actually, i gotta find manually a compatible kext for Capitan, but ty anyway!

Ty all for support,i now can use my AR9285 on El Capitan smoothly, i just needed to boot with kext-dev-mode=0x67 and USBBusFix=No.

Actually, everytime u manage extensions folder u gotta use kext-dev-mode=0x67 :( , damn this new security stuff.

Now fix your graphics! ;)

• Like 1