nothing interesting here

Vitaliy

209 posts in this topic

Also I wanted to note that this is not a race or competition between the two kernel devs,just two ppl taking different approaches to the problem.it's not about who is better.

And also it´s better to have two teams working towards one solution (in different approaches as you said) than none!

We hope you suceed!

But my question is, will this "new" kernel somehow help in using Leopard in Hackintohes?

But my question is, will this "new" kernel somehow help in using Leopard in Hackintohes?

If the method for cracking the 10.4.8 kernel is published, it will go a long way toward helping someone to crack the 10.5 kernel when it is released.

If the method for cracking the 10.4.8 kernel is published, it will go a long way toward helping someone to crack the 10.5 kernel when it is released.

And that could also mean Apple will have every resource needed to further lock down their kernel in the future to prevent such a thing from happening to Leopard.

I'm sure the method will be given to capable people who will safeguard it incase it needs to be implemented for future work. But I doubt it'd be completely public with a full tutorial on how to compile your own kernel. 95% of the people here, including myself, lack the expertise to do that... so it's really not necessary.

Following is my System Log.

My CPU did not support HPET?

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: HTT: 1 core per package; 1 logical cpu per package

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: CPU extended features: XD EM64T

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: [RTCLOCK] frequency 2660000000 (2659753920)

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=2 LocalApicId=129 Disabled

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=3 LocalApicId=130 Disabled

Oct 21 00:20:52 localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=4 LocalApicId=131 Disabled

It will not effect anything,the check has been disabled in the kernel we are all using now

and it has been working.

I have a modded version of Vitality's kernel booting to single user mode on

Intel D865GBF Motherboard / ICH5

Intel Pentium 4 HTT 3.0E CPU / NO NX

HPET is motherboard specific, not processor.

No HPET is south bridge dependend. It had been introduced first in Intel ICH4 southbridge. There are a lot info about HPET in Linux kernel. Since version 2.6.17 supports HPET on nForce5 MoBo’s too. I’m not so expirienced in this theme, but I think, that we can emulate HPET using old 8254 and rtc.

No HPET is south bridge dependend. It had been introduced first in Intel ICH4 southbridge. There are a lot info about HPET in Linux kernel. Since version 2.6.17 supports HPET on nForce5 MoBo’s too. I’m not so expirienced in this theme, but I think, that we can emulate HPET using old 8254 and rtc.

Actually I think has been intruduced since ich5, anyway if you don't have HPET enabled on bios, the kernel will :D

Also on his blog he has stated that SSE2 support depends on how you compile the kernel. If you compile the kernel on SSE2 hardware then you should have an SSE2 compatible kernel without any problems. SSE3 users use one compiled on an SSE3 platform and everyone is happy. It is also worth noting that should you want a feature that is not in the "ultra-compatible" kernel then you can compile your own with flags to tell it to add things like NX support. Also note that Semthex is still owrking with a 10.4.7 kernel and Mifki is using 10.4.8 so you can't really compare the projects that closely. However both are doing a good job, and I look for ward to Semthex's source!