nothing interesting here

Vitaliy

209 posts in this topic

the point people are missing is that Vitaliy/mifki has released the source of his modified kernel, and (i assume) will continue to do so. if he gets it working (booting to gui) on his hardware, then there' s NO REASON other people cant pick up his source and work on it to, for example, remove HPET, or patch for SSE2 or whatever. just because he's willing to work on this doesnt mean he is obliged to provide a working kernel for every damn hw configuration out there.

the fact he has proven he is willing to share his source speaks volumes - he's done more than anyone else in this regard.

we are still very early in the process - certainly booting to single user is a great achievement, and it sounds like he is having some success with the new Rosetta as well, but we're still a long way off booting to GUI.

baby steps, people!

BRAVO!! I agree with everything you said - we, as a community, can decide on our destiny because we have a lot more control than ever before.

Good work :)

Personally I don't see that much of an issue with the approach, theres nothing stopping people using their older OSX kernels on their older hardware.

6-12 months time, most people will be running the newer hardware anyway.

nah no probs i know wat the problem is anyway, you know how on some boards you need the sse2 kernel to boot even tho u have sse3, well thats it for me (same on 10.4.4)

Here is one fix that I figured out for my motherboard (Asus P5GV-MX) and SSE2/SSE3 problems:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=202604

Basically it was a bios setting for Max CPUID Value Limit - Mine was enabled.

My older motherboard (ECS RS400-A) had a similar problem and fix, but I don't remember exactly what the setting was called.

On topic - Getting the kernal updated for performance issues is exactly what we need. You can't expect to run mac-like performance on a 1.7 Ghz P4 or similar AMD processor or expect an offbeat sound card or nic to work at all. That's like people who complain that WinXP runs too slow on their 5 or 6 year old relic that came with Win98.

Those people who want to run a fast, reliable, and capable hackintosh will need to upgrade their hardware to something made in the last year or so. Apple has never designed their OS to be run of the mill. The OS pushes the chip's abilities pretty hard. They did wonders working with the old chips they used but even my older dual G4 1.42 tower with 10.4.8 has needed an aftermarket video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/512) and a boot raid setup to help performance.

Jas and Kiko, you've done wonders already. Jas, the PayPal was sent a minute ago. Kiko - get setup for donations and see some real appreciation for all your work. We gotta keep you guys interested in dealing with all this "free" tech support...

I'll keep reading. I understand about 25% of this stuff. I guess that's how I got a 91% benchmark :whistle:

So now we're not waiting for a 10.4.8 kernel to be released that will work on a broad range of hardware. We're basically waiting for Vitality to get the kernel to work with his specific hardware setup, and then possibly somebody will take his work and do the extra steps to broaden support.

As long as the bulk of the hardest work is done when Vitality's personal kernel is complete, getting a generic kernel shouldn't be hard. :)

On topic - Getting the kernal updated for performance issues is exactly what we need. You can't expect to run mac-like performance on a 1.7 Ghz P4 or similar AMD processor or expect an offbeat sound card or nic to work at all. That's like people who complain that WinXP runs too slow on their 5 or 6 year old relic that came with Win98.

Those people who want to run a fast, reliable, and capable hackintosh will need to upgrade their hardware to something made in the last year or so. Apple has never designed their OS to be run of the mill. The OS pushes the chip's abilities pretty hard. They did wonders working with the old chips they used but even my older dual G4 1.42 tower with 10.4.8 has needed an aftermarket video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/512) and a boot raid setup to help performance.

I somewhat agree with you. But, not all of us are made of money. Some of us can't even get 1 upgrade a year. Thats why alot of people run OSX86, we want a mac, but can't afford it. And now your telling us, that people with 2.6 ghz p4, now have to go out and upgrade just to update our hackentoshes? If we can hack the kernal in the 1st place, whats stop us from adding sse2 support and support for people without htpd. Honestly a 400 mhz powerpc machine can run osx, yet a much newer machine can't. 1st Itunes, then Quicktime, now 10.4.8. Sheesh, give us sse2 users a break.

Its not like I don't appriciate the contributions of Jas and Kiko. Or anyone who works on this. But everytime something new comes out, us sse2 users suffer. I'd rather wait extra time for working sse2 on the 10.4.8 kernal than having the whole idea thrown out. Alot of my fellow sse 2 users would agree.

Whats the use of calling it progress, if everytime, we have to throw a chunk of users out. We are doing exactly what apple does to its old users, throw them out. I thought the osx86 project was about not doing what apple does.

I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, its just I think we should try more to work on getting stuff to work for all users, instead of some of them. I honestly appriciate the work Vitaliy has done..

well i dont know about you guys but i looked in my local sellers web site and i can buy an unopened imac core duo 1.83 ghz and all the other stuff for $700. thats pretty good becuase the college here in town is selling them for like $500 to get rid of them and get in the new core 2 duo's. the college kids sell them and make a profit of 150-200. today i am meeting the guy to buy it. i will still be using osx86 on my laptop. but now i will have a real mac desktop. thanks everyone for all the help i have been given and i will still be around becuase of my laptop.

Oh dont get me wrong i absolutley agree with the way this kernel is being made i really dont give a {censored} about older hardware such as sse2 at the moment, all my pc's are new they are all core 2 duos and prescotts so im not bothered about "zOMG My Sempron only has sse can you pleeeeeeze make me a kernal for sse, pleeeese" at the moment, sse2 is exteinct after this release anyways as far as i am concerned unless someone wants to extend maxxuss emulator to emulate more than 2 sse3 calls lol,

Im going to force the sse3 check in my kernal to return a true so i will be able to see if i can get it working further on my main hacki.

eXellente Guys !

Please keep us updated on hardware requirements.

If ever this is a 10.4.8 with the OpenGL updates etc I'll be totally overjoyed (even send money)

I'd consider buying a Mac-Mini if they Apple didn't patent zoom panel Icons -- something from Enlightenment and now KDE can't use it. I've always perfered BSD to Linux but after Jordan left for Apple FreeBSD seemed to have lots of politcal issues.

Wish I could HELP

All the best .

Oh dont get me wrong i absolutley agree with the way this kernel is being made i really dont give a {censored} about older hardware such as sse2 at the moment, all my pc's are new they are all core 2 duos and prescotts so im not bothered about "zOMG My Sempron only has sse can you pleeeeeeze make me a kernal for sse, pleeeese" at the moment, sse2 is exteinct after this release anyways as far as i am concerned unless someone wants to extend maxxuss emulator to emulate more than 2 sse3 calls lol,

Im going to force the sse3 check in my kernal to return a true so i will be able to see if i can get it working further on my main hacki.

Wow, Dude talk about mean

{censored}, your freaken self centered. What ever happened to doing things for the community. We arent talking about sse here, everyone knows that has no combatablitiy. I am not asking for much, just to atempt to develope a sse2 kernal, but after your response, I might want to consider even running osx86.

I have been testing some kernels with semthex today,he has removed HPET and is working on removing no execute,if he can get this worked out , I assume that covers it for most of us except those with pentium M's that have broken PAE( these are sse2 ).Next would be getting to the GUI , then it would be on to sse2 emulation.

I have been testing some kernels with semthex today,he has removed HPET and is working on removing no execute,if he can get this worked out , I assume that covers it for most of us except those with pentium M's that have broken PAE( these are sse2 ).Next would be getting to the GUI , then it would be on to sse2 emulation.

Thats good to hear, thanks for the good news Jas :2cents:

i don't think it's a SSE2 or SSE3 problem either mac never concern about SSE instruction (CMIIW) but if we can run hackintosh on sse2 the preformance will be much better when it's run on sse3 right? (again CMIIW)

so me (and any other sse2 user) still hoping some one like jas, maxxus (God knows where), kiko, etc still supporting us :)

again many thanks to all that make hackintosh come to reality

*Jas i wish i could paypall you but paypall won't accept my cc :2cents:(

Wow, Dude talk about mean

{censored}, your freaken self centered. What ever happened to doing things for the community. We arent talking about sse here, everyone knows that has no combatablitiy. I am not asking for much, just to atempt to develope a sse2 kernal, but after your response, I might want to consider even running osx86.

+.

WHOA

You take things to seriously all im saying is that at the moment a working kernel is priority. Then after that we work on sse2 and stuff like that, its better ot have one stream o f work which works than having little offshoots onto other projects and none of the kernels work. im not being self centered im being realistic. We work for the communtiy but isnt making a sse3 kernel working for the community as well?. Oh and i forgot, your "not asking for much" just a sse2 kernel, do you know how much work it takes to make a sse2 kernel + system , obviously not or you wouldnt have said that. I dont want this thread to turn into a flamewar, but really look at yourself.

What i said about sse is true it will happen, especially when people see that we have the source, im not making fun of you i dint even see your post (if you had one), sse2 is going to be hard to support, unless like i said in my post someone extends the sse3 emulator, Im all for having a sse2 kernel im just sayin gits not a n0. 1 priority for me atm

so next time READ THE WHOLE POST before replying with your ill-informed opinion

I support both kiko and Jas obviously their aproaches are diferent but both are good, i wish i could help, i still think the most important thing is to keep updated with apple releases, if staying for ever with kernel 10.4.4 is the cost of not letting the old hardware go, i frankly oppose to it, but if the brilliants guys here can make it then ENHORABUENA!, and keep the good work.

Anyway if we keep this aproach of one developer getting kernels for the most compatible hardware in less time and the other(s) doing it later with more work for the not so compatible ones that, i think is a win win situation.

One thing bothers me, Jas nearly dropped the ball last time after 10.4.7 because his releases supported old and not too compatible hardware (prone to mayor problems) and he was flamed and atacked by ppl asking him for help with things that probably he wouldnt be bothering to resolve cause they were resolvered already at the forums, but some ppl, usualy the ppl who keep pestering the developers, dont want to use the search function, or manually search the forums for their problems. So Jas you are again grabing the Hot part of the rod.

just my two cents.

Cheers all

long live to osx86

vitality - you think you could maybe "leak" the torrent file for this kernel.

that way other users will be able to see which hardware works, and which doesn't.

kinda make a HCL of sorts.

or torrent the code so others can start working on more hardware reliablilty and other features, maybe it would help just a little bit.