Mac OS X 10.4.8

calmesal

468 posts in this topic

Anybody know if Nforce SATA improved any in this release? I know Apple didnt do any type of improvements to something they dont support, but there really isnt much idea as to why Nforce SATA doesnt work all too well and I was hoping it was some ill written code, or something that indirectly musses the kext up a lil after reboots. Hopefuly this would be straightened out in a later release of OS x, so that our kext rewrite would play more nicely... AND I GET MY DAMN SATA BACK! Ok, ok, Ive let it out.. I feel.. better...

Edit: oh yeah you guys wouldnt know, JaS released an INTEL only deal. Dammit JaS! I mean.. REALLY! :compress:

nForce4 SATA doesn't work because there is no driver for it. Apple has provided drivers for a few other SATA controllers, but not nForce4 and I don't ever expect them to.

The only support for the nForce4 SATA has come from someone hacking the VIA SATA driver. A driver that isn't designed to work with nFroce4. And as a result, the hack doesn't work very well for the few who got it to work and for most people, not at all.

You are stuck using a PATA drive unless some genius somewhere comes out of the shadows and writes an nForce4 SATA driver basically from scratch.

Rammjet, can you please tell me which kext is responsible for my Laptops's SATA bus (see sig)? I should be getting much better results with my new Seagate 5.400 than what XBench indicates. I am quite unhappy with that and am considering to test kexts (probably a symbiotic combo of kexts which is necesssary to swap) from 10.4.8 but do not want to do that randomly.. :D

can you please tell me which kext is responsible for my Laptops's SATA bus

It depends upon what chip you have controlling your SATA. To the best of my knowledge, only Intel and VIA are supported natively. You would have to go to Windows Device Manager and track down your SATA controller to find what brand it is.

Via is handled by the AppleVIAATA.kext

Intel is handled by one embedded in the IOATAFamily.kext in the plugins folder.

Often, SATA has to be used in the ATA compatibility mode (it is treated as an ATA drive) in order to not cause a kernel panic. But compatibility mode is slower. AHCI mode is the preferred mode for speed. That is handled by the AppleAHCIPort.kext and the IOAHCIFamily.kext

There are also the AppleK2SATA.kext and AppleK2SATARoot.kext which I have not seen come into play on a Hackintosh

jbond i repeat u need :

Used 10.4.8 Kext for Video

--- ATINDRV.kext Version 10.4.5

--- ATIRadeonX1000.kext Version 10.4.7

--- ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle Version 10.4.8

--- ATIRadeonX1000GA.Plugin Version 10.4.8

--- ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle Version 10.4.8

Frameworks:

OpenGL.framework used was from 10.4.8

enjoy my fix :D

would you please be so kind to a give me information on

a) the exact versions (1.4.32 / 1.4.40 etc.)?

:D if / what has been altered to the versions to obtain on the apple-site?

c) what version of quartz.framework and quartzcoreframework are being used?

d) what exact 10.4.8. opengl framework version?

e) if an update_prebinding is necessary?

f) if there are any plans on a new installer like neos?

Thank you!

Not well imy HDD dies and im gonna buy a new one, but i promise it will be out tonite

Thats nice, but first we must find a sollution for pro apps(FC,Aperture) failure first.

Logicexpress works with iokit 10.4.7 but others pro audio/video apps doesn't....

we must figures out what frameworks caused the issues.

Not well imy HDD dies and im gonna buy a new one, but i promise it will be out tonite

Am I wrong or other day was your processor that passed away????

Maybe time to change your supplier! :)

jbond i repeat u need :

Frameworks:

enjoy my fix :lol:

So If I´m running a JAS 10.4.8 upgraded machine I only need to use pacifist and install the 10.4.8 kexts from Apple´s Combo update?

well aperture works with me and im updated to 10.4.8

Glad you got it working :lol:

Am I wrong or other day was your processor that passed away????

Maybe time to change your supplier! :)

So If I´m running a JAS 10.4.8 upgraded machine I only need to use pacifist and install the 10.4.8 kexts from Apple´s Combo update?

I have to tell you that some games like Q4 and doomsday engine for all the old ID hits like doom and hexenl stop working.

Plus after using that mix of kexts it took me a good two hours to fix the issues.

So use them at your own risk

I have talked to koverg about taking a look at the ATIRadeonX1000.kext and see if it needs to be patched like the 9700 kext does.

He made no promises but said he would take a look.

And thats good enough for me.

Hi dudes

I have not installed yet 10.4.8, however Cyclonefr claims that this combination of kext's works ok:

Frameworks:

Anyone can be kind enough to confirm that they work with a Radeon ATI x1600 AGP pro.

And can someone who has them zips them and makes them available...

Cheers

And thanks to JAS I am using your 10.4.7 & its cool...

Billy

Glad you got it working ;)

I have to tell you that some games like Q4 and doomsday engine for all the old ID hits like doom and hexenl stop working.

Plus after using that mix of kexts it took me a good two hours to fix the issues.

So use them at your own risk

I have talked to koverg about taking a look at the ATIRadeonX1000.kext and see if it needs to be patched like the 9700 kext does.

He made no promises but said he would take a look.

And thats good enough for me.

You´ve said all that I need to hear!

Thnx

RitZ .. The DVDPlayer Framework needs to be replaced with the 10.4.7 version, just did it and it works.

Logic Express however, does not work with the iokit.framework from 10.4.7 either.

Strange, dvd player is working for me with the new framework ....

sry it wasn't for you.

I've had success with JaS.10.4.8.SSE3 release also. Thanks a bunch JaS & Kiko for your work guys...you are the best.

Is it just my install or does anyone else see that the 'CPU Features' line in the Hardware Overview section of System Profiler is gone after applying the 10.4.8 update?

Yah that is gone as well, but i will be able to get it back with a older systemprofiler i think

There is a new version of /System/Library/SystemProfiler in the stock 10.4.8 Apple update. I tried using this version but then the 'Hardware Overview' doesn't show up. This is the known problem with the SPPlatformReporter.spreporter. The CPU Features are still listed out in the system.log though.

RitZ .. The DVDPlayer Framework needs to be replaced with the 10.4.7 version, just did it and it works.

Logic Express however, does not work with the iokit.framework from 10.4.7 either.

below is the thread of excluded Frameworks that allow SSE2 users to install 10.4.8 update. basically everything just works.

Logic Express is reported to work, DVD, Disk mounting etc, etc. :lol:

SSE2 fixes aren't precluded on SSE3 capable computers.

10.4.8 SSE2 excluded Frameworks

guess some of them should/could be excluded from SSE3 as well. don't reinvent the wheel, check them out.

if you exclude these frameworks, please report what doesn't work, as we might get a fully working

10.4.8 wrapped up before 10.4.9. :P