Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, prcmelo said:

Thank you, iCanaro!!!!

Looks like today you learned two things. :) How to navigate in Shell, in order to find your Clover boot drive. And learned about the existence of a Clover builder github page. Pretty cool knowledge for one day. :) 

Personally, I prefer to build it myself. The Dids builds, while very useful, seem to use some weird parameters to uncheck some of the default drivers in the installer (not sure why), which I don't particularly like. But if you're careful during installation, and check those boxes back again, you should be good to go.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

Just to throw my 2 cents into the chime discussion:

I put AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeDxe.efi from the AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE into both the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI folders, and have PlayASYNC=False in config and I get the classic Mac boot chime right when I see the Apple logo appears on screen. Exactly the behavior I want!

Not sure I actually need the PlayASYNC switch but it works so I won’t touch it. :) Maybe I will test it later.

If you look at my signature you will see I am on an old non-UEFI motherboard.

13 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

I put AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeDxe.efi from the AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE into both the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI folders, and have PlayASYNC=False in config and I get the classic Mac boot chime right when I see the Apple logo appears on screen. Exactly the behavior I want!

Not sure I actually need the PlayASYNC switch but it works so I won’t touch it. :) Maybe I will test it later.

Almost the same as you...

- I have AudioDxe-64.efi (from clover r4870), and BootChimeDxe.efi from AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE only at Drivers64UEFI...

- BootChimeCfg.efi and  HDACodecDump.efi (I'm not sure if I need this last one) from AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE at Clover\Tools...

- And no PlayASYNC in config.

With that I have the Mac Boot Chime only when I see the Apple Logo on screen. So, I think you don't need PlayASYNC at config.

45 minutes ago, prcmelo said:

Almost the same as you...

- I have AudioDxe-64.efi (from clover r4870), and BootChimeDxe.efi from AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE only at Drivers64UEFI...

- BootChimeCfg.efi and  HDACodecDump.efi (I'm not sure if I need this last one) from AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE at Clover\Tools...

- And no PlayASYNC in config.

With that I have the Mac Boot Chime only when I see the Apple Logo on screen. So, I think you don't need PlayASYNC at config.

1 hour ago, pkdesign said:

PlayAsync actually doesn't have anything to do with any of that.

Play Async only refers to the portion before the Apple logo and the loading animation (before Clover UI to be precise), and consists of two modes:

1. in Sync -> the sound is played before Clover GUI and the UI is displayed after the sound has finished playing -> PlayAsync=False

2. Async -> the sound is played before the Clover GUI and continues to play when the UI is ready. -> PlayAsync=True

This is with Clover's implementation. What you guys are using right now is GoldFish's implementation, which will play the sound (packed into the BootChimeDxe.efi file) when selecting a boot drive (so AFTER the Clover GUI is loaded). So, for this case, PlayAsync = True or False will actually make no difference whatsoever, since you're not using Clover's implementation.

To me, what Clover did is closer to what's happening on real Macs. And I personally prefer it this way. But if that doesn't work for you guys, or if you prefer it after the Clover GUI, when the Apple logo is displayed, that's definitely an option.

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

asradu,

Thanks for the clarification :D

I'm thinking about to try "Sync" to see the result! :whistle:

After using Mac Boot Chime I have noticed an increased time until reaching the Clover GUI, and also at the end of the boot, it seems that the progress bar, just below the Apple logo, is stopped for a longer time until it reaches the Desktop.

Don't know if it's normal or only with me.

26 minutes ago, prcmelo said:

asradu,

Thanks for the clarification :D

I'm thinking about to try "Sync" to see the result! :whistle:

After using Mac Boot Chime I have noticed an increased time until reaching the Clover GUI, and also at the end of the boot, it seems that the progress bar, just below the Apple logo, is stopped for a longer time until it reaches the Desktop.

Don't know if it's normal or only with me.

Now that you know your way around the GoldFish method, why not give Clover implementation a try?

For this, you don't need BootChimeCfg or BootChimeDxe. You only need AudioDxe, added by Clover during installation.

All you need is the sound.wav file, configured correctly, placed inside your selected theme folder. The attached file works perfectly fine for me. So you can use it if you want to. The volume can be adjusted from Clover GUI -> Options -> Startup Sound. For 60%, you should type 0060. Also here you should be able to select the output device (you should already know which one it is from configuring it from Shell). After that, select Return to go back to main screen, Restart, and...hopefully it should work.

Now, in case the device output selection didn't go so well for you, you can still configure it from Shell, using BootChimeCfg.efi. Just the way you did before. The difference is that, if you removed BootChimeDxe, you should only have one startup sound, the one from the theme, and it should be played before the UI is loaded. You can still keep BootChimeDxe if you want...but it will play both sounds. :)) Which...well, I don't know why would you want that.

By default, PlayAsync should be OFF, so it will be "in Sync", meaning the UI will wait for the sound to finish playing before getting display. Personally, I prefer PlayAsync=True for two reasons: it takes less time to boot (since the UI usually finishes loading faster than the sound finishes playing), and it's closer to real Macs experience, in my opinion. But nobody's stopping you from trying both, if you want. As I said, by default, it will be the one you want, meaning "in Sync"

sound.wav

Edited by arsradu

15 minutes ago, ktwist said:

Is something significant has changed since clover v 48xx? I can't update clover past version 479x and get mojave to boot properly.

Not that I know of. I mean, there shouldn't be any significant changes that would cause boot issues... But if you could provide more information on what happens exactly, that might help. Maybe a boot log. You could boot in verbose mode and see where does it get stuck. You might need to update your drivers, in case you haven't already. So...there could be multiple issues. But I personally haven't encountered such issues. So...maybe you can also upload your Clover folder for a deeper analysis? You can remove the serials from your config.plist/smbios.

Also, I think it might help a lot to know which hardware are you using. Could you, please, update your signature to include this information?

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ktwist said:

Is something significant has changed since clover v 48xx? I can't update clover past version 479x and get mojave to boot properly.

with mojave 10.14.4beta the kernel has been changed and to start it it is necessary to at least clover 2.4_4862 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been trying to get the boot chime using the goldfish method but can't get it to work.

In the clover gui under startup sound output, I only have options for HDMI out through my GPU.

My realtek codec is ALC891 and I'm using layout=13 in my config.plist

I also tried updating clover to v4870 but I get the same result.

Startup sound output.png

Audio Tuning.png

5 hours ago, arsradu said:

Now that you know your way around the GoldFish method, why not give Clover implementation a try?

Thanks, asradu!

I did the "Clover way", and I must confess, it's better! From now I'm leaving Mac Boot Chime before Clover GUI :D

But my boot time is still taking a long time since the implementation of Boot Chime, takes age at something like "gtrace synchronization point" or something like that.

Thank you again!!!!

I just tried to configure using bootchimecfg in shell, same result. Only shows HDMI outputs, no realtek outputs.

Do you have audio in macOS?

If so upload ioreg and screenshot of audio I devices panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, isleeptill12 said:

ALC3863 is what it says on the HP website for my mobo: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05838790

I google'd ALC3863 when I was setting up my install and found that ALC891/ALC867 would work for my audio with layout=13

What are you using to get sound in the OS? AppleALC + Lilu or a different approach?

15 hours ago, arsradu said:

Not that I know of. I mean, there shouldn't be any significant changes that would cause boot issues... But if you could provide more information on what happens exactly, that might help. Maybe a boot log. You could boot in verbose mode and see where does it get stuck. You might need to update your drivers, in case you haven't already. So...there could be multiple issues. But I personally haven't encountered such issues. So...maybe you can also upload your Clover folder for a deeper analysis? You can remove the serials from your config.plist/smbios.

Also, I think it might help a lot to know which hardware are you using. Could you, please, update your signature to include this information?

Thanks arsadu, i made updates to my signature. Here is attachment of my current EFI folder (for Dell Vostro from signature with intel HD 620 graphics). I am trying to boot from external SSD attached to USB (It boots up fine with clover 4798, but problematic with latest version 4862)

14 hours ago, iCanaro said:

with mojave 10.14.4beta the kernel has been changed and to start it it is necessary to at least clover 2.4_4862 

My version of Mojave is 10.14.2 (but similar situation is happening on desktop with update 10.14.3 i.e. boot not possible after clover update)

I've made attempts to make screenshots with my phone, but it happens really fast so i don't know if screens are usable to conclude something. Also i have attached my efi folder.

Thank you for help.

Regards

BootSCR01.jpg

BootSCR02.jpg

BootSCR03.jpg

BootSCR04.jpg

BootSCR05.jpg

BootSCR06.jpg

BootSCR07.jpg

BootSCR08.jpg

EFI.zip

2 hours ago, ktwist said:

Thanks arsadu, i made updates to my signature. Here is attachment of my current EFI folder (for Dell Vostro from signature with intel HD 620 graphics). I am trying to boot from external SSD attached to USB (It boots up fine with clover 4798, but problematic with latest version 4862)

My version of Mojave is 10.14.2 (but similar situation is happening on desktop with update 10.14.3 i.e. boot not possible after clover update)

I've made attempts to make screenshots with my phone, but it happens really fast so i don't know if screens are usable to conclude something. Also i have attached my efi folder.

Thank you for help.

Regards

BootSCR04.jpg

EFI.zip

Kernel panic VoodooHDA

Edited by HmO
  • Thanks 1