Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

VirtualBox is also able to detect Audio device on preboot, using Host Audio Driver: Core Audio | Audio Controller: IntelHD under VM's Settings, as SigmaTel STAC9920/9921. HDA Codec (0x7680) is should be supported by AudioPkg as well.

So, having no sound is bcoz VirtualBox doesn't support Native NVRAM?

Device Description	Intel 82801FB(M) ICH6(-M) - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
Bus Type	PCI
Bus / Device / Function	0 / 5 / 0
Device ID	8086-2668
Subsystem ID	8384-7680
Revision	01
Hardware ID	PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668&SUBSYS_76808384&REV_01

Device Properties	
Device Description	SigmaTel STAC9220 A1
Device Type	Audio
Bus Type	HDAUDIO
Device ID	8384-7680
Subsystem ID	8384-7680
Revision	1034
Hardware ID	HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7680&SUBSYS_83847680&REV_1034

Screenshot 2.png

Edited by Badruzeus

I'm still having problem using "PlayAsync" no matter what Clover revision I'm on. While it's working great when entering the GUI (the sound starts to play just before it reaches GUI and stops), when there is no timeout set, no GUI invoked and Clover is booting directly to Mojave, the sound keeps looping through the 1st stage - until RX580 is initiated.

Thanks @Slice

"PlayAsync=true" is now working fine with r4866, currently.. using provided AudioDxe-64.efi from SF, but only with UEFI (also no more stuck on Apple logo if BootChimeDxe.efi is loaded). Still I get no idea how to make it works with Legacy; I've cleared NVRAM several times, reconfiguring AudioIO through Clover's Startup Sound Option or even with ..\tools\BootChimeCfg, with no success. Not a big deal for me, though.

And about r4866 commit (it' s bit sensitive area to discuss related to licensing, but..) I've to tell that all sound*.wav files provided with my uploaded Clover themes on repo were taken from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) notification audio located on \system\media\audio\notifications:

Antimony
Capella
Castor
Deneb
Highwire
KzurbSonar
MoonBeam
OnTheHunt
Palladium
PixieDust
Pizzicato
Polaris
Pollux
Procyon
SpaceSeed
Voila
Xenon

Correct me if I'm wrong.

preboot.log_a43sj_r4866.zip

Edited by Badruzeus

Thanks [mention=112217]Slice[/mention]
"PlayAsync=true" is now working fine with r4866, currently.. using provided AudioDxe-64.efi from SF, but only with UEFI (also no more stuck on Apple logo if BootChimeDxe.efi is loaded). Still I get no idea how to make it works with Legacy; I've cleared NVRAM several times, reconfiguring AudioIO through Clover's Startup Sound Option or even with ..\tools\BootChimeCfg, with no success. Not a big deal for me, though.

And about r4866 commit (it' s bit sensitive area to discuss related to licensing, but..) I've to tell that all sound*.wav files provided with my uploaded Clover themes on repo were taken from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) notification audio located on \system\media\audio\notifications:
  Antimony
Capella
Castor
Deneb
Highwire
KzurbSonar
MoonBeam
OnTheHunt
Palladium
PixieDust
Pizzicato
Polaris
Pollux
Procyon
SpaceSeed
Voila
Xenon

Correct me if I'm wrong.
preboot.log_a43sj_r4866.zip

Did you have to reconfigure audio after switching from goldfish’s AudioDxe to clovers? Did you keep or remove BootChimeDxe? Sound when entering Mac drive or before GUI? I just installed 4866 and no sound that’s why I ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, SavageAUS said:

Did you have to reconfigure audio after switching from goldfish’s AudioDxe to clovers? Did you keep or remove BootChimeDxe? Sound when entering Mac drive or before GUI? I just installed 4866 and no sound that’s why I ask.

I've tried all of them and having no issue with Realtek ALC269-VB:

1. Keep prev. nvram vars + Goldfish64's AudioDxe = Success

2. Clear prev. nvram vars + Clover's AudioDxe = Success

3. Using Goldfish64's AudioDxe + BootChimeDxe = Success

4. Using Clover's AudioDxe + BootChimeDxe = Success

5. Configuring AudioIO via Clover Startup Audio Options = Saved

6. Configuring AudioIO via Shell > efi\clover\tools\bootchimecfg = Saved.

Only AudioDxe with Legacy is not working (yet) on my case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Only AudioDxe with Legacy is not working (yet) on my case.

Strange.  With r4866, boot chime now working on my legacy machines with native Clover AudioDxe-64.efi (sound before Clover GUI).  Previously, only worked with self compiled Goldfish64's AudioDxe + BootChimeDxe (sound after selecting/booting macOS entry).

Boot log...

8:333  0:000  found 2 handles with audio
8:333  0:000  got index=1
8:333  0:000  got volume 85
8:333  0:000  === [ InitTheme ] =========================================
8:333  0:000  use night theme
8:346  0:013  Using theme 'BGM' (EFI\CLOVER\themes\BGM)
8:347  0:000  OS main and drive as badge
8:347  0:000  file sound read: sound_night.wav Not Found
8:357  0:009    Channels: 2  Sample rate: 44100 Hz  Bits: 16
8:357  0:000  output to channel 1 with volume 85, len=560896
8:357  0:000   sound channels=2 bits=16 freq=44100
11:977  3:620  free sound
11:977  0:000  sound play end with status=00000040
11:978  0:001  Loading font from ThemeDir: Success
11:979  0:000  theme inited
11:979  0:000  Chosen theme BGM

• Like 1

@Slice I have tried almost everything and still the same. The sound keeps looping. Clover 4866, AudioDxe R1, PlayAsync.
Here's a video that will hopefully explain the issue. There are two parts. At the beginning of the video I'm invoking GUI by a keypress. The sound plays nicely. After the reboot I'm letting clover to automatically boot to MacOS - and here is where the fun begins ;) By the way, AudioDxe adds around 3 seconds extra to the boot time <_<

22 minutes ago, fusion71au said:

Strange.  With r4866, boot chime now working on my legacy machines with native Clover AudioDxe-64.efi (sound before Clover GUI).  Previously, only worked with self compiled Goldfish64's AudioDxe + BootChimeDxe (sound after selecting/booting macOS entry).

If only you told me how to make it works with Legacy -_- I meant; on a Legacy BIOS with Clover installed w/o mac.. having (Apple Like) Chime is cool isn't it? Hah haa

44 minutes ago, bidero said:

@Slice I have tried almost everything and still the same. The sound keeps looping. Clover 4866, AudioDxe R1, PlayAsync.
Here's a video that will hopefully explain the issue. There are two parts. At the beginning of the video I'm invoking GUI by a keypress. The sound plays nicely. After the reboot I'm letting clover to automatically boot to MacOS - and here is where the fun begins ;) By the way, AudioDxe adds around 3 seconds extra to the boot time <_<

Your issue seems about BootChimeDxe (sound that we hear when loading boot.efi / Apple Logo)

This is actually, out of discussion here. But try using this previous version:

BootChimeDxe-64.zip

18 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

Your issue seems about BootChimeDxe (sound that we hear when loading boot.efi / Apple Logo)

This is actually, out of discussion here. But try using this previous version:

BootChimeDxe-64.zip

Unfortunately not. I'm not using BootChimeDxe. With BootChimeDxe the sound is played exactly the moment the apple logo appears and it's working OK. When using PlayAsync + AudioDxe only, the sound is played much earlier (much closer to the real mac) and continues to GUI, or starts looping when timeout is set to 0.

3 minutes ago, bidero said:

Unfortunately not. I'm not using BootChimeDxe. With BootChimeDxe the sound is played exactly the moment the apple logo appears and it's working OK. When using PlayAsync + AudioDxe only, the sound is played much earlier (much closer to the real mac) and continues to GUI, or starts looping when timeout is set to 0.

Give us preboot.log (or debug.log).

8 minutes ago, bidero said:

Here it is. But like I said, when entering Clover GUI, the sound plays perfectly. It only loops (and a bit at the end is cut off) when the GUI is not invoked.

OK, I just watched your video once more. Have you tried with PlayAsync=false under GUI?

Edited by Badruzeus

3 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

OK, I just watched your video once more. Have you tried with PlayAsync=false under GUI?

With PlayAsync turned off everything is OK, but you have to wait almost 4 seconds for the sound to be played. The reason I would like to use async is that the sound starts playing much earlier and the apple logo shows up during the chime. This way I can shave few seconds of the boot time. With BootChimeDxe the problem is only partially solved, as AudioDxe still needs to load and it also takes a bit. So with PlayAsync this first part of boot (where you see black screen with all the logos removed) takes almost half the time compared to BootChimeDxe and double that with Async turned off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bidero said:

With PlayAsync turned off everything is OK, but you have to wait almost 4 seconds for the sound to be played. The reason I would like to use async is that the sound starts playing much earlier and the apple logo shows up during the chime. This way I can shave few seconds of the boot time. With BootChimeDxe the problem is only partially solved, as AudioDxe still needs to load and it also takes a bit. So with PlayAsync this first part of boot (where you see black screen with all the logos removed) takes almost half the time compared to BootChimeDxe and double that with Async turned off.

Is this issue occurred after r4866 only or..? You may try rolling back to attached r4864 below (+ Goldfish64's AudioDxe): 

r4864_AudoDxe_Goldfish64.zip

@slice

Is it possible to use a different sound.wav file when using the embedded theme, it always seems to use the embedded sound (sound.c) even when a sound.wav file is placed in the embedded theme folder

Thanks!

No, embedded theme assumes ThemeDir=NULL. The folder exists for Clover.PrefPane to choose embedded theme.

I think you have no problem to compile Clover with other sound.

any.wav 16bit/8000Hz

xxd -l any.wav sound.c

Edit the name of the array and the name of the length. Replace in clover source and compile.

r4866, report.

PlayAsync=TRUE, scan drive with play sound, then enter GUI. and i have a timeout 3, 3 -> 2 -> 1  freeze system.

PlayAsync=FALSE, scan drive after play sound, then enter GUI. there is no problem.

Edited by Sherlocks
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

r4866, report.

PlayAsync=TRUE, scan drive with play sound, then enter GUI. and i have a timeout 3, 3 -> 2 -> 1  freeze system.

PlayAsync=FALSE, scan drive after play sound, then enter GUI. there is no problem.

You may try again with AudioDxe-64.efi from AudioPkg repo?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

no. i always use AudioDxe
efi in Clover without BootChimeDxe.efi.

Yeah, no idea then.. I previously had similar issue; and it' s solved by using AudioDxe from this one.

Interesting is; I just tried with ridiculous test on my mac.. removing prelinkedkernel && kernelcache from System (w/o rebuilt). What I got? Sound was looping like music DJ on Apple Boot if PlayAsync=true, sweet. A little problem is I just can't boot into it. What verbose log told?

"Error loading kernelcache".

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Is this issue occurred after r4866 only or..? You may try rolling back to attached r4864 below (+ Goldfish64's AudioDxe): 

r4864_AudoDxe_Goldfish64.zip

I have started testing AudioDxe since r4849. I suppose around that one I found Slice's post about PlayAsync and since then have tried to fiddle with it. I have also checked both AudioDxe versions. No matter what, when the GUI is not invoked the sound loop appears.