Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Yes, bought two channels kits at different times. But all are the same brand and model. There is a solution?

You just have two different kinds of RAM, you need to set them up how you want in firmware then in the end they should get that speed because of SMBIOS tables.

Kinda with apianti, you don't seem to understand the protocol, like, at all.

Ok, I made one incorrect statement because he said a bunch of confusing stuff. First, I thought he was talking about reading a key from the keyboard buffer. And second, I immediately looked at the code, saw how it worked, and fixed what I said. Huge difference.

EDIT: Oh, and I see finally what he wants. Whenever you are loading a driver that is a keyboard driver, it's reconnected and the previous key buffer is lost. So you need to actually check when loading each driver if a keyboard driver is loaded and if it is, check if it has any keys before reconnecting. I completely misunderstood you before, lol. I thought he was trying to get PS2 support for Filevault....

• Like 1

Ok, I made one incorrect statement because he said a bunch of confusing stuff. First, I thought he was talking about reading a key from the keyboard buffer. And second, I immediately looked at the code, saw how it worked, and fixed what I said. Huge difference.

You thought he misunderstood it and I think he misunderstands it. Or phrased differently: "I am with you [...]" lol.

Sorry if this was already discussed but I'm wondering it it's possible to change the black boot screen(white apple/black background) to the gray one like real macs.

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<true/>

??
  • Like 1

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<true/>

??

I just tried it and it changes the background and apple logo to gray but the loading bar isn't appearing and then the screen flickers for like 30 seconds then it boots with a very low resolution, this doesn't seem to be a good option for my hack :D

• Like 1

Sorry if this was already discussed but I'm wondering it it's possible to change the black boot screen(white apple/black background) to the gray one like real macs.

SMBIOS?

Also, depending on Mac model and OS version, that boot screen IS actually black. So it's not like "real Macs" get a grey screen, and hacks get a black screen.

I personally don't like the grey one. I prefer the black one. But I know it's a matter of taste. :)

• Like 2

SMBIOS?

Also, depending on Mac model and OS version, that boot screen IS actually black. So it's not like "real Macs" get a grey screen, and hacks get a black screen.

I personally don't like the grey one. I prefer the black one. But I know it's a matter of taste. :)

Now I'm using MacPro5,1, iMac10,1 is black too and I tried more but I don't remember now, suggest me one smbios with grey background.

Now I'm using MacPro5,1, iMac10,1 is black too and I tried more but I don't remember now, suggest me one smbios with grey background.

Well that's the thing. It's not just the SMBIOS. It's also the OS. So I'm not sure there's any way to have the grey boot screen with the latest OS... I could be very much wrong here though.

iMac10,1 should probably be ok in terms of SMBIOS, but, as I said (and as you could see that for yourself), it also depends on the OS.

Also, my personal opinion, I'm not sure it's really worth it to change the SMBIOS to something farther away from your actual hardware configuration. I'm not sure it's a good idea. And all that just to have the grey boot screen...in my opinion, it's not worth it. Especially since, as I said, BOTH real Macs and hacks have the same black screen. There is no difference there. It's just older models, with older OSes, still have a grey screen. That's all.

Also, there could be third party apps/scripts to do this without messing with the SMBIOS. Unfortunately I can't recommend one, since I never attempted to switch back to grey...

Anyway, maybe there's an option to get it done from Clover (aside from the SMBIOS thing). So I'd say let's see what other people have to say about it.

• Like 1

Well that's the thing. It's not just the SMBIOS. It's also the OS. So I'm not sure there's any way to have the grey boot screen with the latest OS... I could be very much wrong here though.

iMac10,1 should probably be ok in terms of SMBIOS, but, as I said (and as you could see that for yourself), it also depends on the OS.

Also, my personal opinion, I'm not sure it's really worth it to change the SMBIOS to something farther away from your actual hardware configuration. I'm not sure it's a good idea. And all that just to have the grey boot screen...in my opinion, it's not worth it. Especially since, as I said, BOTH real Macs and hacks have the same black screen. There is no difference there. It's just older models, with older OSes, still have a grey screen. That's all.

Also, there could be third party apps/scripts to do this without messing with the SMBIOS. Unfortunately I can't recommend one, since I never attempted to switch back to grey...

Anyway, maybe there's an option to get it done from Clover (aside from the SMBIOS thing). So I'd say let's see what other people have to say about it.

I think I'll just let it black, I just wanted to know if it's possible, but it seems to be more complicated than it should be, thanks for answer anyway.

I am having issues with KextToPatch. Bootlog shows this:

0:107  0:000   - [0]: System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\Intel82574L.kext
0:107  0:000  KextsToPatch: 1 requested
0:107  0:000   - [00]: Intel82574L (Add on-board ethernet device)[ERROR] bin2hex '0x10f68086' syntax error
0:107  0:000  [ERROR] bin2hex '0x10d38086' syntax error
0:107  0:000   - invalid Find/Replace data - skipping!

the KextToPatch section and ForceKextToLoad section look like this in config:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ForceKextsToLoad</key>
		<array>
			<string>\System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\Intel82574L.kext</string>
		</array>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Intel82574L</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Add on-board ethernet device</string>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<string>0x10f68086</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<string>0x10d38086</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

What is wrong?

been there lol.... you need to convert 0x10f68086 and 0x10d38086 to ascii for plist edits

Ummm afaik a string is a string (ie... already ascii) unless I am wrong. Could you explain this please?

Ummm afaik a string is a string (ie... already ascii) unless I am wrong. Could you explain this please?

Just change the find/replace patterns into ASCII form, that's all.

(0x10f68086 is 30783130663638303836, and 0x10d38086 is 30783130643338303836, use these two instead. Both are little endian, yet I don't think you'll need to mess with these thingies.)

I think I'll just let it black, I just wanted to know if it's possible, but it seems to be more complicated than it should be, thanks for answer anyway.

You need 10.10+ for the black Apple logo. Plus a relatively new SMBios model is supposed to be set. (Cannot remember the exact border unfortunately) As for Mac Pro series, black logo will only appear on MacPro6,1.

Even if on older Mac with 10.10+, the logo is also grey with white background. Thus you may not really need to let you hack be "more like the real Macs".

Maybe there's a way to patch boot.efi for the older models...

• Like 1

Just change the find/replace patterns into ASCII form, that's all.

(0x10f68086 is 30783130663638303836, and 0x10d38086 is 30783130643338303836, use these two instead. Both are little endian, yet I don't think you'll need to mess with these thingies.)

Yeah tried that, I don't think ForceKextsToLoad is working correctly. I am assuming that Clover takes whatever is in the list of ForceKextsToLoad first and loads them and then KextsToPatch to patch them since KextsToPatch only patches kexts that are in cache.

I am having issues with KextToPatch. Bootlog shows this:

0:107  0:000   - [0]: System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\Intel82574L.kext
0:107  0:000  KextsToPatch: 1 requested
0:107  0:000   - [00]: Intel82574L (Add on-board ethernet device)[ERROR] bin2hex '0x10f68086' syntax error
0:107  0:000  [ERROR] bin2hex '0x10d38086' syntax error
0:107  0:000   - invalid Find/Replace data - skipping!

the KextToPatch section and ForceKextToLoad section look like this in config:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ForceKextsToLoad</key>
		<array>
			<string>\System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\Intel82574L.kext</string>
		</array>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Intel82574L</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Add on-board ethernet device</string>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<string>0x10f68086</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<string>0x10d38086</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

What is wrong?

Remove the 0x prefix from the string. By specifying <string> you say the string is hexadecimal encoded binary, by specifying <data> you say the string is base64 encoded binary.

You just have two different kinds of RAM, you need to set them up how you want in firmware then in the end they should get that speed because of SMBIOS tables.

EDIT: Oh, and I see finally what he wants. Whenever you are loading a driver that is a keyboard driver, it's reconnected and the previous key buffer is lost. So you need to actually check when loading each driver if a keyboard driver is loaded and if it is, check if it has any keys before reconnecting. I completely misunderstood you before, lol. I thought he was trying to get PS2 support for Filevault....

:D Oh I have AptioInputFix now, Why do I need a PS2 Driver anymore? :) What I'm trying to get now is to get the Alt/Option (modifiers) is recognized when pressed just that key. I think it is possible because in the keyboard viewer, when you pressed a modifier, it still show it.

EDIT: Currently I worked around by holding another key with alt(Alt+C) for GUI, what do you think?

cmd+R: boot.efi doesn't chain-load to the Recovery's boot.efi. Maybe we have to find a way for it to find the Recovery partition when found the cmd+R

DDR Corsair  is exactly the same for each channel. SMBIOS tables show good frequency: 1866Mhz. But ScanSPD not as I wrote before.

Thanks

We don't know the rule why black or gray.

• Like 1

We don't know the rule why black or gray.

Apple decided to add a black version of this boot screen to newer Macs. But Mid-2012 for example, boots with a white background and grey Apple logo/progress bar.

• Like 2

Apple decided to add a black version of this boot screen to newer Macs. But Mid-2012 for example, boots with a white background and grey Apple logo/progress bar.

Nope. My MacPro4.1 (Firmware Upgrade to 5.1, macOS.10.12) does the same, white logo on a black background.

• Like 1