Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, TheBloke said:

HWMonitor, as bundled with RehabMan's version of kozlek's FakeSMC.

yevaWjl.png

EDIT: Another way to see them is iStat Menus (although the info is slightly odd, in that the listed frequencies don't match the listed multipliers on a core-by-core basis, and, at least for me, one of the cores is called 'Core 18'. But the listed multipliers do generally match what HWMonitor is showing):

Reveal hidden contents

XIcALPZ.png

Oh okay, that is how I check speedsteps. I miss DPCIManager's ability to show you speedsteps. Anyone going to fix that?

Is there any way to get Clover to block loading of a Kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other?

For example if I want to make two config files, one that loads WhateverGreen and one that does not.

I have read through the Wiki and can't find such an option.  But when I go to Options in the boot GUI, there is an option with a name that seems to suggest it might do this.

I know Clover can't stop loading of kexts on the OS drive, but presumably it could theoretically prevent them loading from EFI/CLOVER/kexts?  

If it can't do this now, this would be a nice feature to add I think.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Is there any way to get Clover to block loading of a Kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other?

For example if I want to make two config files, one that loads WhateverGreen and one that does not.

I have read through the Wiki and can't find such an option.  But when I go to Options in the boot GUI, there is an option with a name that seems to suggest it might do this.

I know Clover can't stop loading of kexts on the OS drive, but presumably it could theoretically prevent them loading from EFI/CLOVER/kexts?  

Thanks.

Type space 

screenshot1.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

Type space 

Ahh yes that's the name - thanks.  But do you know if there is a config.plist name for "Block injected kexts" ?    So that kexts can be disabled permanently in a config file?

I think maybe this Block option is only available from Boot menu, and can't be configured in config.plist?  At least I can't find any name for this option in the Wiki or via Google.

18 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Ahh yes that's the name - thanks.  But do you know if there is a config.plist name for "Block injected kexts" ?    So that kexts can be disabled permanently in a config file?

I think maybe this Block option is only available from Boot menu, and can't be configured in config.plist?  At least I can't find any name for this option in the Wiki or via Google.

I dont think its possible from config.plist, not sure ?

37 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Thanks.

Use the -radoff boot arg.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, el_charlie said:

Use the -radoff boot arg.

Oh yeah!  Of course, that would work fine for WEG.  Thanks, I forgot about that.

I still think it would be helpful if Clover had this option in config.plist for other kexts - but yeah, no need for WEG :)  Which is the only kext I need to do it for at the moment anyway.

• Like 1

Use the \EFI\CLOVER\OEM\SystemProduct\ (where SystemProduct is one of the two things given in your boot.log as to what system product [motherboard] you are running) folder as root instead of just \EFI\CLOVER if you want different configurations for different machines, otherwise just disable the kext injection from the options. There is already this capability, please do not open tickets because you did no research, or even waited long enough for an answer......

17 minutes ago, apianti said:

Use the \EFI\CLOVER\OEM\SystemProduct\ (where SystemProduct is one of the two things given in your boot.log as to what system product [motherboard] you are running) folder as root instead of just \EFI\CLOVER if you want different configurations for different machines, otherwise just disable the kext injection from the options. There is already this capability, please do not open tickets because you did no research, or even waited long enough for an answer......

1. I wanted variable kext loading for the same machine, not two different machines. 

2. I wanted to disable loading of specific kexts, but not all.  Disabling all kext loading will not help, in fact it would stop me booting at all.

I won't open a ticket but I believe the feature request is valid - in the case of WEG it is possible to disable it via a boot flag, but this does not help in the case of other Kexts.  For example, yesterday I wanted to test loading with and without FakeSMC_GPUSensors.  As there is no way to do this via different config files, I must either delete this kext from EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other, or else continually interrupt boot to choose Block Kexts.   It would definitely be useful to have this in a config.plis variable.

15 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

1. I wanted variable kext loading for the same machine, not two different machines. 

You can load another config from the options menu....?

15 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

2. I wanted to disable loading of specific kexts, but not all.  Disabling all kext loading will not help, in fact it would stop me booting at all.

This is already a feature as I said, you can disable individual kexts from being injected in the options menu. Putting this in the config serves no purpose, just move it from kexts injection folder if you don't want it injected then.

16 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

I won't open a ticket but I believe the feature request is valid - in the case of WEG it is possible to disable it via a boot flag, but this does not help in the case of other Kexts.  For example, yesterday I wanted to test loading with and without FakeSMC_GPUSensors.  As there is no way to do this via different config files, I must either delete this kext from EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other, or else continually interrupt boot to choose Block Kexts.   It would definitely be useful to have this in a config.plis variable.

HOW? Then you would have to edit your config.plist constantly instead which is infinitely more wasteful then just choosing not to inject a kext from an already available options menu....

9 minutes ago, apianti said:

You can load another config from the options menu....?

This is already a feature as I said, you can disable individual kexts from being injected in the options menu. Putting this in the config serves no purpose, just move it from kexts injection folder if you don't want it injected then.

HOW? Then you would have to edit your config.plist constantly instead which is infinitely more wasteful then just choosing not to inject a kext from an already available options menu....

Having the ability to block specific kexts in config.plist means I can save configuration files with certain sets of multiple config for testing which includes whether kexts are loaded or not:  configA = setting1 + setting2 + kextA loaded; configB = setting1 + setting2 + kextA not loaded;  configC = setting3 + kextA loaded; configD = setting3 + kextA not loaded.  etc.

Then each test can be run just by putting the next config in, and any past test can be repeated just by copying a single file that is already prepared.  The configs can be named exactly for everything that is tested, so when I copy "config.setting2.setting3.kextA-notloaded.plist" I know everything it does - there is not required a separate external step (modifying kexts/Other, or interrupting boot to disable the kext) required to make this test correct.

I know the manual methods to do this, that's what I have been doing recently - eg scripting the copying of kexts in and out of kexts/Other along with copying a specific config.plist (or an alternative - make multiple USB sticks with varying kext/Other folders.)  I just feel that it would be a little cleaner and more manageable to be able to control everything from config.plist. 

Obviously you do not agree and I do not want to argue with you.  Certainly it is not hugely important.  But I know that if it existed I would definitely make use of such a feature next time I needed to debug my system with/without kexts.

9 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Having the ability to block specific kexts in config.plist means I can save configuration files with certain sets of multiple config for testing which includes whether kexts are loaded or not:  configA = setting1 + setting2 + kextA loaded; configB = setting1 + setting2 + kextA not loaded;  configC = setting3 + kextA loaded; configD = setting3 + kextA not loaded.  etc.

Then each test can be run just by putting the next config in, and any past test can be repeated just by copying a single file that is already prepared.  The configs can be named exactly for everything that is tested, so when I copy "config.setting2.setting3.kextA-notloaded.plist" I know everything it does - there is not required a separate external step (modifying kexts/Other, or interrupting boot to disable the kext) required to make this test correct.

I know the manual methods to do this, that's what I have been doing recently - eg scripting the copying of kexts in and out of kexts/Other along with copying a specific config.plist (or an alternative - make multiple USB sticks with varying kext/Other folders.)  I just feel that it would be a little cleaner and more manageable to be able to control everything from config.plist. 

Obviously you do not agree and I do not want to argue with you.  Certainly it is not hugely important.  But I know that if it existed I would definitely make use of such a feature next time I needed to debug my system with/without kexts.

This is irrelevant, you are basically just asking to complicate something you could already do just by moving the files (in the EFI shell). I don't think any developer is going to put time into this. But if any one out there wants to do that, please be my guest, just know that currently the behavior of any arrayed setting is to be merged not replaced.

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Clover is injecting these values by default, is there a way to tell it not to?

I already have InjectATI=True and I already selected the Orinoco as the default framebuffer but it and macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (5,6,7) detect my GPU as an AMD RX 480 instead to RX 580.

I don't use WEG or a SSDT.

screenshot0.png

9 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hi guys,

Clover is injecting these values by default, is there a way to tell it not to?

I already have InjectATI=True and I already selected the Orinoco as the default framebuffer but it and macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (5,6,7) detect my GPU as an AMD RX 480 instead to RX 580.

I don't use WEG or a SSDT.

They have the same device id, 0x67DF, as RX470/480/570/580 are modified ellesmere architecture, so the code needs to be rewritten to determine the revision id. There are a lot of cards that can only be determined by the revision id.... I somewhat suspect that maybe this has something to do with why polaris cards have a lot of trouble in macOS, the card probably needs revision id injected as well but I don't know how a real mac actually does this. Is there anyone that has the External Graphics Development Kit that can provide the dumps for the RX580 card that it uses?

EDIT: This may be an interesting read, https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/guide-radeon-rx-580-identification-is-macos/. That guy modified the VBIOS to be exactly what the EGDK has to get the card to work, yet some people experience black screens in windows after..... Also the second to last post may be of some interest.

EDIT2: WhateverGreen injects the revision id, it's just "revision-id" property. So I would think that you should get proper graphics with WhateverGreen.kext...?

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, apianti said:

They have the same device id, 0x67DF, as RX470/480/570/580 are modified ellesmere architecture, so the code needs to be rewritten to determine the revision id. There are a lot of cards that can only be determined by the revision id.... I somewhat suspect that maybe this has something to do with why polaris cards have a lot of trouble in macOS, the card probably needs revision id injected as well but I don't know how a real mac actually does this. Is there anyone that has the External Graphics Development Kit that can provide the dumps for the RX580 card that it uses?

EDIT: This may be an interesting read, https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/guide-radeon-rx-580-identification-is-macos/. That guy modified the VBIOS to be exactly what the EGDK has to get the card to work, yet some people experience black screens in windows after..... Also the second to last post may be of some interest.

EDIT2: WhateverGreen injects the revision id, it's just "revision-id" property. So I would think that you should get proper graphics with WhateverGreen.kext...?

Thanks apianti but what is interesting is that if I only injectATI and don't select the Orinoco as the framebuffer or any other framebuffer, macOS detects it as RX 580 but I lose one of my displays, what I forgot to mention is that I'm conducting these tests under macOS 10.13.4 (Beta 4,5,6,7) which as you know doesn't need WEG or RadeonDeInit to make AMD GPUs work.

Edited by Cyberdevs

3 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

I forgot to mention is that I'm conducting these tests under macOS 10.13.4 (Beta 4,5,6,7) which as you know doesn't need WEG or RadeonDeInit to make AMD GPUs work.

Apple has proprietary identification for AMD and a PC card with OEM identification will never fully just work, no matter what is being reported. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joe75 said:

Apple has proprietary identification for AMD and a PC card with OEM identification will never fully just work, no matter what is being reported. 

I've been using DP cables for both monitors and I just swapped the DP cable that wasn't working with an HDMI cable and now it works. It detects my RX 580 correctly and both displays work.

I only have InjectATI=True and no other settings, no WEG, no SSDT or DSDT patch.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.21.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.21.22 PM.png

P.S:

Sleep/wake also works fine with the exception of having no sound after wake which I guess can be resolved with CodecCommander and changing the darkwake settings.

Edited by Cyberdevs
  • Like 1

I have a strange issue that I'm not sure is related to clover.

In MacIASL, I have 2 FACS tables. I tried to have clover drop FACS with no difference.

Another possibly related issue. System POST takes very long after a shutdown from Mac. I tried RTC patch (binary and DSDT), but same. InsydeH2O legacy. Restart seems to work fine.

Edited by Dr. Hurt

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

I've been using DP cables for both monitors and I just swapped the DP cable that wasn't working with an HDMI cable and now it works. It detects my RX 580 correctly and both displays work.

I only have InjectATI=True and no other settings, no WEG, no SSDT or DSDT patch.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.21.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 5.21.22 PM.png

P.S:

Sleep/wake also works fine with the exception of having no sound after wake which I guess can be resolved with CodecCommander and changing the darkwake settings.

what is your motherboard?

Just now, xtddd said:

@Cyberdevs i think it may be the problems with mb..my mb is z270..no need inject=ati

How does the macOS detect your GPU? is the naming correct? If I don't inject ati I get the black screen. I haven't tested the HDMI port without the InjectATI yet.

1 minute ago, Cyberdevs said:

How does the macOS detect your GPU? is the naming correct? If I don't inject ati I get the black screen. I haven't tested the HDMI port without the InjectATI yet.

mac os detects rx580 without any other kext and parameters and it displays name of radeon rx580 on 10.13.4.   please check disable internal graphic in bios

• Like 1