Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So, long story short: I'm trying to put Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) to a friend's laptop using Clover as bootloader (preferably in UEFI mode)

It's an ASUS X552LDV-SX470D.

Specs:
CPU: i5 4210U
GPU: GeForce 820M
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Problem: after selecting the boot drive (USB pen drive) the computer just reboots. Booting in verbose mode shows no log, no nothing whatsoever. It's like it doesn't even try to load the OS.

Any idea how to fix this? Is it fixable?

If you need the config or something to take a look, please, let me know, and I'll upload it here.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Clover itself or on my end of things. If someone could please help I'd appreciate; I'd create a thread here but I'm not allowed (even though I have passed both the quizzes and can post everywhere else)

The error is Clover isn't appearing, and that trying to access it through the BIOS boot menu ("Mac OS X") doesn't work and instead just pulls up whatever other bootloader seems to be default at the time (Windows Boot Manager or GRUB for Antergos Linux)

What makes you think "Mac OS X" is Clover? It isn't. Also, instead of creating topics stating already in the title what a pain Clover is, you could get to know you stuff and create a boot option for it like the UEFI spec requires you to (use UEFI Shell).

Hey guys,

So, long story short: I'm trying to put Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) to a friend's laptop using Clover as bootloader (preferably in UEFI mode)

It's an ASUS X552LDV-SX470D.

Specs:

CPU: i5 4210U

GPU: GeForce 820M

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Problem: after selecting the boot drive (USB pen drive) the computer just reboots. Booting in verbose mode shows no log, no nothing whatsoever. It's like it doesn't even try to load the OS.

Any idea how to fix this? Is it fixable?

If you need the config or something to take a look, please, let me know, and I'll upload it here.

Enable CSM might help, as I know some laptops reboot with it disabled. Also if you can, hardcode your RAM's info into config.plist

@arsradu - have you examined all the XD/NX/DEP/memory execution ... in the BIOS options under Security or where ever it is on ASUS? not clear how far into the OSX boot process it gets or not?

Well, I don't think I have. Not that I know exactly what you're talking about, to be honest. :)) Uhm... I'll check this tomorrow. I don't have the laptop near right now. And since it doesn't even start loading the verbose log when you're booting in verbose mode...I think I'm not getting too far into the OS X booting process.

Enable CSM might help, as I know some laptops reboot with it disabled. Also if you can, hardcode your RAM's info into config.plist

It's enabled by default. I haven't tried disabling it yet... I'll see about that tomorrow. Also I'll follow your advice and try to hardcode the amount of RAM in config, although, for as far as I know, that information is purely cosmetic for OS X. I might be wrong though. And since I've got nothing to lose, I'm gonna try it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

What makes you think "Mac OS X" is Clover? It isn't. Also, instead of creating topics stating already in the title what a pain Clover is, you could get to know you stuff and create a boot option for it like the UEFI spec requires you to (use UEFI Shell).

What is "Mac OS X" then? Sorry for my misunderstanding with that.

How do I create a boot option for it then? No where in the countless guides for Clover have I seen to create a UEFI listing for it. The title has been changed and I apologize if you didn't like it. However I have spent time trying to "get to know my stuff" and would appreciate if you didn't make comments like that and instead tried to help. I've looked all over other forums trying to find a solution but none of the others seem to be working for me. I haven't just created this thread without looking through some others first.

So how do I create a UEFI listing for Clover, and again how can I get Clover to appear? It doesn't appear without the USB, though it did appear when I put Cloverx64.efi in the EFI\Microsoft Folder and renamed it to bootmgfw.efi however then Windows wouldn't boot out of Clover, only Mac would. Also, Linux still isn't appearing in Clover. I returned the bootmgfw.efi to its original file now but now I'm faced with Clover yet again not appearing. 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I put Cloverx64.efi in the EFI\Microsoft Folder and renamed it to bootmgfw.efi

Clover started? OK, next use a tool in second row: Add Clover as boot option

MainMenu.png

I returned the bootmgfw.efi to its original file now  

Now Clover will be in your F12 start menu.

So how do I create a UEFI listing for Clover, and again how can I get Clover to appear? It doesn't appear without the USB, though it did appear when I put Cloverx64.efi in the EFI\Microsoft Folder and renamed it to bootmgfw.efi however then Windows wouldn't boot out of Clover, only Mac would. Also, Linux still isn't appearing in Clover. I returned the bootmgfw.efi to its original file now but now I'm faced with Clover yet again not appearing. 

Well you replaced the Microsoft boot loader with it of course windows will not boot that file is needed to be there for widows to load in efi mode. Now you obviously got the clover efi from somewhere if it was from the usb key then you know that it was in the Clover folder in the EFI partition where it should go on the hard drive in fact you should just copy the entire usb folder to the hard drive EFI partition and see how that goes. You really need to read up on how efi booting works.

It's enabled by default. I haven't tried disabling it yet... I'll see about that tomorrow. Also I'll follow your advice and try to hardcode the amount of RAM in config, although, for as far as I know, that information is purely cosmetic for OS X. I might be wrong though. And since I've got nothing to lose, I'm gonna try it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I thought it was cosmetic, until I try to install El Capitan onto my mother's Sony Vaio. Their ram info was mysterious, therefore cause many bugs in both El Capitan anh previous OS X version. Hardcoding them into config.plist helps me get pass the error you mentioned ( if you record your laptop screen when booting, you will see one line that said something about alloc memory zone )

Well I thought it was cosmetic, until I try to install El Capitan onto my mother's Sony Vaio. Their ram info was mysterious, therefore cause many bugs in both El Capitan anh previous OS X version. Hardcoding them into config.plist helps me get pass the error you mentioned ( if you record your laptop screen when booting, you will see one line that said something about alloc memory zone )

Ok, two things:

1. I managed to make it boot by checking Kernel Pm option in Clover

2. How exactly do I add that info (RAM value)? I know how to add VRAM. But not the amount of system RAM.

Also, any idea which drivers do I need for trackpad and keyboard? None of them seem to be working right now. I used external ones connected via USB to install the OS. But that's not quite the way you use a laptop. :)

Ok, two things:

1. I managed to make it boot by checking Kernel Pm option in Clover

2. How exactly do I add that info (RAM value)? I know how to add VRAM. But not the amount of system RAM.

Also, any idea which drivers do I need for trackpad and keyboard? None of them seem to be working right now. I used external ones connected via USB to install the OS. But that's not quite the way you use a laptop. :)

You can use "ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext" by Emly Dinesh for Trackpad and keyboard

• Like 1

attachicon.gifMainMenu.png

Wasn't that replaced with OS-specific entries pre-3000? I mean, like "Boot OS X with Clover", "Boot Windows with Clover" or whatever they are named.

@Feliks I just wondered why you call Clover such a pain while it isn't even executed because you didn't complete all necessary steps for your mobo. Most UEFIs auto-detect stuff, but yours simply does not, so you need to create an option. Either via what Slice said or, if that doesn't work out, via 'bcfg' of the UEFI Shell. If you don't want sarcastic comments, don't use sarcastic thread titles.

EDIT: "Mac OS X" is what the name says: OS X. But because this isn't Ozmosis, you need to launch Clover first to boot into it.

Wasn't that replaced with OS-specific entries pre-3000? I mean, like "Boot OS X with Clover", "Boot Windows with Clover" or whatever they are named.

It is not replace anything.

I remember one more trick possible with Clover.

Rename \\EFI\\Microsoft\\Boot\\bootmgfw.efi to \\EFI\\Microsoft\\Boot\\bootmgfw-orig.efi

and be happy. New name is understandable by Clover. 

4315/4312 was working with kext from 10.6 by replacing DeviceID and put a scotch on Pin20 (I am not sure, google about it). I am sure about 4315, it is my working WiFi in Dell Inspiron.

Scotch as in scotch tape? :))

From what I read online, people were saying that this particular chipset BCM43142 is simply not supported. So I was kind of giving up.

I saw some discussion about this chip here. But no one seem to have gotten it to work so far. Also, right now I've got video issues due to the graphics card (something with Optimus chipset) which is supposed to work in cooperation with the iGPU, if I got this right, but..in most cases, it just doesn't. And you can't even disable the iGPU. Not to mention the iGPU is detected as having only 4MB of VRAM...not sure why. And animations are really choppy (as if the acceleration was disabled). Not sure how to fix that. I enabled Inject Intel in Clover, but with or without that, the VRAM is still 4MB. The only difference is that, with it, the Intel HD 4400 also gets detected.

..inject metioned ids (a lot of broadcom and Atheros)

I'll check this out! Thank you!

• Like 1

Well you replaced the Microsoft boot loader with it of course windows will not boot that file is needed to be there for widows to load in efi mode. Now you obviously got the clover efi from somewhere if it was from the usb key then you know that it was in the Clover folder in the EFI partition where it should go on the hard drive in fact you should just copy the entire usb folder to the hard drive EFI partition and see how that goes. You really need to read up on how efi booting works.

Clover is already installed in my EFI partition. Maybe if you'd actually read my question you'd realize that. Please, seriously stop with comments like that, they're not helpful and I have already done reading on how EFI booting works, I am not an idiot. And I was following a solution I saw somewhere BECAUSE I read up on this.

attachicon.gifMainMenu.png

Remember how I said Clover wasn't appearing? Are you suggesting I get it to start using the USB drive? (it will boot off of that)

Clover is already installed in my EFI partition. Maybe if you'd actually read my question you'd realize that. Please, seriously stop with comments like that, they're not helpful and I have already done reading on how EFI booting works, I am not an idiot. And I was following a solution I saw somewhere BECAUSE I read up on this.

Remember how I said Clover wasn't appearing? Are you suggesting I get it to start using the USB drive? (it will boot off of that)

Yes you have grasp on it alright you replace the windows boot loader then ask question why does it not appear/boot into it...

Yes you have grasp on it alright you replace the windows boot loader then ask question why does it not appear/boot into it...

bro, I admit there's more experienced people out there on this which is why I tried that. That solution was for someone else who also had a dual boot system and they had rep. It worked for a bunch of people but not for me, so...

Instead of arguing can we please devise a solution? Cheers :)

This is Clover ESP,and I got this,can anyone help me?

liuyanjun0826s-MacBook-Pro:~ liuyanjun0826$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS liuyanjun0826           127.7 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS backup                  999.9 GB   disk1s2

liuyanjun0826s-MacBook-Pro:~ liuyanjun0826$ diskutil mount disk0s1

]Volume on disk0s1 failed to mount

liuyanjun0826s-MacBook-Pro:~ liuyanjun0826$ 

I remember you said

it did appear when I put Cloverx64.efi in the EFI\Microsoft Folder and renamed it to bootmgfw.efi however then Windows wouldn't boot out of Clover, only Mac would.

What is you question now? Mac is loaded by Clover? So the Clover appeared?

• Like 1