Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,869 posts in this topic

Hi smeisner777,

You can always create a log by running from terminal:

bdmesg > ~/Desktop/boot.log

This will put it on the desktop.

Also, I don't understand exactly what you mean: You say that the HDEF/HDAU worked with previous Clover and doesn't work now? Or it also didn't work for you before.

Hi Pene,

I knew dmesg, but next time I'll remember bdmesg.

When I forgot to copy r2235 CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi, I had r2217 Clover in EFI/BOOT/ and r2235 Clover in EFI/CLOVER/.  This combination caused the DSDT patch for HDEF and HDAU to fail/not work (maybe other patches too but I did not look for others).  It was my error as I forgot that my test installation does not have Clover added to the UEFI boot entry. As such it defaults to the EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi loader.  I don't know why that caused the patching failure.  When I copied r2235 CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi (thus r2235 in both locations) all was perfect again.  Sorry for my error.

HI Expert with Clover   :D  I have a questions for you Guys  !  What is the choice I have to do with Clover_v2k_r2236.pkg  on that configuration .

GA Z87M-D3H / i7 4770k /ssd 120gig Kingston /Graphics  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 /16 gig RAM 1600 mhz ???

for os x Mavericks GM thanks  B) 

@Slice So that post in my blog is for Mavericks DP1 - DP5, which uses this:

Offset i: 0x65 0x8B 0x04 0x25 0x14 0x00 0x00 0x00  
Offset i + 0x1F: Call to kernel panic (5 bytes set 0x90)  
Offset i + 0x24: 0x65 0x8B 0x04 0x25 0x14 0x00 0x00 0x00  

And for DP6 - GM it's this: (there's an 0x1C instead of 0x14)

Offset i: 0x65 0x8B 0x04 0x25 0x1C 0x00 0x00 0x00  
Offset i + 0x24: 0x65 0x8B 0x04 0x25 0x1C 0x00 0x00 0x00  

Thanks for updating Clover :D

• Like 1

Thanks for your post donovan6000!

Yes I see the pattern, but with v0.7 you are not patching the 5 bytes of GM to 0x90, but to eb 03 44 36 4b

Could you please explain?

• Like 1

Hi again.

I really can't think how "failed to load library dependencies" can be the result of anything that Clover does...

There indeed was an error before, which could cause all kexts to fail with "invalid magic number" in some cases (bad detection of architecture), and it happened here also, but that seems solved now with r2135.

I tried with kozlek's latest FakeSMC from https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/releases - it works fine here with 10.6.8 64-bit, but it doesn't work with 32-bit.

A compatible 32-bit version would be the FakeSMC binary contained in Clover source (edk2/Clover/CloverPackage/CloverV2/ThirdParty/kexts/Other/FakeSMC.kext).

Anyway, you should put your FakeSMC in your 10.6 kexts dir under your Clover dir (/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.6/).

A few questions:

- Are you using 10.6.8? I understand kozlek FakeSMC can't work in early 10.6 releases (probably only 10.6.2+).

- Perhaps you somehow end up not booting with the x86_64 architecture? You can easily know this in verbose mode by one of the first lines which will be either:

"Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0 .... xnu_1504... RELEASE_I386" or "Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0 .... xnu_1504... RELEASE_X86_64", depending on the architecture you are currently booting.

- Are you totally sure that your kext if OK for 10.6? Perhaps you updated it or now use a version which is not properly compiled for 10.6 support?

Anyway, if you are using 10.6.8 and a good FakeSMC, I will really need a log to debug what happens for you, as I can't reproduce it anymore.

To create a log you need to set in your config.plist, under <Boot>, <key>Log</key> to </true>, and it will be created in your EFI/CLOVER/misc directory when you are booting.

Note that with log enabled, Clover will be very slow to boot, it can even take a few minutes, so you need to be patient.

If this is a problem for you, I can understand, but as I cannot reproduce the problem anymore on any of my systems, and as it works in all cases I test, for all architectures, I don't know what I can further check.

Edit: added more information about kozlek FakeSMC, a few more questions, and instructions for creating Log.

Thanks for your detailed reply Pene. I downloaded the installer for 2236 and tried to update my existing clover installation. This failed so i backed up my kexts, config and acpi and did a fresh install, selecting all the extra drivers in custom install as well as the af bootloader install option. 10.6 boots fine now so i suspect this problem is fixed in 2236.

Great work! Thanks

HI Expert with Clover   :D  I have a questions for you Guys  !  What is the choice I have to do with Clover_v2k_r2236.pkg  on that configuration .

GA Z87M-D3H / i7 4770k /ssd 120gig Kingston /Graphics  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 /16 gig RAM 1600 mhz ???

for os x Mavericks GM thanks  B) 

well the wiki page needs updating to include kext injection. in the meantime download mackie100's clover configurator and select the options that apply to you

Thanks for your detailed reply Pene. I downloaded the installer for 2236 and tried to update my existing clover installation. This failed so i backed up my kexts, config and acpi and did a fresh install, selecting all the extra drivers in custom install as well as the af bootloader install option. 10.6 boots fine now so i suspect this problem is fixed in 2236.

Great work! Thanks

Good to hear. There is nothing new about this in r2236 (relevant fix was in r2235), so you probably ended up somehow not using r2235 before.

Anyway, great that it's ok now.

Yes. Thanks again. I did replace the file as you suggested into /EFI/CLOVER to update it to 2235 so no idea why that wouldnt work unless it was the wrong file or maybe I just needed one of the optional drivers i just installed? no idea but it's great to have the latest release working on 10.6 !

Great work! Thanks

well the wiki page needs updating to include kext injection. in the meantime download mackie100's clover configurator and select the options that apply to you

Ok Thanks hoctorez  :) but what  I have to choose on the Installer  :blush:

for my build on Mavericks

clover10.png

I'm still trying to install Windows 8 and OS X next to each other, in which Clover acts as a general bootloader (both in UEFI) and where I can use the Startup Disk Preference Pane. I have two separate SSD's.

I already tried:

- Install Windows and OS X each on their own SSD's with the other SSD plugged out (this works ok, but as soon as I choose Windows EFI it overrides Clover completely with the Microsoft directory in the ESP);

- Install OS X and then with that SSD plugged in, install Windows. This overrides the EFI partition just like above;

- Install Windows with only the MSR partition and no own EFI, result is that Windows can't boot.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

I'm still trying to install Windows 8 and OS X next to each other, in which Clover acts as a general bootloader (both in UEFI) and where I can use the Startup Disk Preference Pane. I have two separate SSD's.

I already tried:

- Install Windows and OS X each on their own SSD's with the other SSD plugged out (this works ok, but as soon as I choose Windows EFI it overrides Clover completely with the Microsoft directory in the ESP);

- Install OS X and then with that SSD plugged in, install Windows. This overrides the EFI partition just like above;

- Install Windows with only the MSR partition and no own EFI, result is that Windows can't boot.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

But what is the problem?

After Windows is installed, you can add Clover to same EFI partition where windows EFI files are. There is no contradiction.

Windows is in \EFI\Microsoft and Clover is in \EFI\CLOVER.

As soon as I use Startup Disk from OS X to boot to Windows (for example via a remote session), Clover won't start after that. The EFI partition that was primary in bios is then gone. Only after removing or renaming the Microsoft folder it gets back, but Windows then doesn't know how to boot up anymore.

Thanks for your post donovan6000!

Yes I see the pattern, but with v0.7 you are not patching the 5 bytes of GM to 0x90, but to e8 f1 0b f4 ff

Could you please explain?

Lol I've been waiting months for someone to notice this. I'm actually putting my signature in the patch as an easteregg :hysterical:  So the 5 bytes are changed to:

0xEB 0x03 0x44 0x36 0x4B

So 0xEB 0x03 is an unconditional jump 3 bytes forward, which skips the 0x44 0x36 0x4B bytes so they never interfere with the kernel's execution.

And 0x44 0x36 0x4B in ascii is D6K, which stands for donovan6000 :P

• Like 5

Lol I've been waiting months for someone to notice this. I'm actually putting my signature in the patch as an easteregg :hysterical:  So the 5 bytes are changed to:

0xEB 0x03 0x44 0x36 0x4B

So 0xEB 0x03 is an unconditional jump 3 bytes forward, which skips the 0x44 0x36 0x4B bytes so they never interfere with the kernel's execution.

And 0x44 0x36 0x4B in ascii is D6K, which stands for donovan6000 :P

Easter eggs are so 1990 :P

• Like 1

:)  what  I have to choose on the Installer  :blush:

for my build on Mavericks

thanks

clover10.png

Nobody knows  ??

See here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?p=1852956

You should install to a USB first to test. Then after it is working install to HDD.

what I have to choose, on the Installer ?? this is my question and nobody have the respond for that question

X-TRIAL you told me  to follow  the old thread and Clover is updated 50 time after this thread, this is not a  same bootloader  :blush:  :hysterical:

• Like 1

As soon as I use Startup Disk from OS X to boot to Windows (for example via a remote session), Clover won't start after that. The EFI partition that was primary in bios is then gone. Only after removing or renaming the Microsoft folder it gets back, but Windows then doesn't know how to boot up anymore.

I don't know about that - I never used the prefpane. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

But - why do you need to use it?

I always just select Windows or OSX from Clover menu, without selecting Startup Disk from OS X.

what I have to choose, on the Installer ?? this is my question and nobody have the respond for that question

X-TRIAL you told me  to follow  the old thread and Clover is updated 50 time after this thread, this is not a  same bootloader  :blush:  :hysterical:

You are right it is now different, but for what you want (choosing what options to have for installation) it will be more or less the same. 

For UEFI Booting select the following: 

- Install for UEFI motherboards

- Install Clover in the ESP

- Themes >

- - - Black_Green

- Drivers64UEFI >

- - - 1st) select none

- - - 2nd) If not boot then select, OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi

- - - 3rd) If not boot then select, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (Do not use with OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi) 

- - - 4th) If not boot then select, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

- Install RC scripts on target volume

Remember to test this first on a USB and then install after you have it working. Of course do not forget that you will you will have to create your own config.plist, even though Clover should select what options are best for you automatically. 

Here is the link to the WIKI which should help you: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

• Like 1

You are right it is now different, but for what you want (choosing what options to have for installation) it will be more or less the same. 

For UEFI Booting select the following: 

- Install for UEFI motherboards

- Install Clover in the ESP

- Themes >

- - - Black_Green

- Drivers64UEFI >

- - - 1st) select none

- - - 2nd) If not boot then select, OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi

- - - 3rd) If not boot then select, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (Do not use with OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi) 

- - - 4th) If not boot then select, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

- Install RC scripts on target volume

Remember to test this first on a USB and then install after you have it working. Of course do not forget that you will you will have to create your own config.plist, even though Clover should select what options are best for you automatically. 

Here is the link to the WIKI which should help you: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

Thank you verry mutch X-TRIAL I will try monday at   home  B)  :lol:

and I post the result !

@christ1111 - in general, the same config.plist (entire /EFI/CLOVER folder for that matter) will work for the installer as for your hardrive OS installation. for me the basic difference is that for a USB installer, i inject some basic kexts (FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller) whereas on my HD, i prefer to replace and add kexts in /S/L/E.  my laptop is using UEFI and if it helps, i post my EFI zip as well as some tips etc here: #486

• Like 1

@christ1111 - in general, the same config.plist (entire /EFI/CLOVER folder for that matter) will work for the installer as for your hardrive OS installation. for me the basic difference is that for a USB installer, i inject some basic kexts (FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller) whereas on my HD, i prefer to replace and add kexts in /S/L/E.  my laptop is using UEFI and if it helps, i post my EFI zip as well as some tips etc here: #486

tiuck Thanks you   B)  precious info for me on that thread  :D

I am look your efi folder attentively  ;)

Just to share my setup which is working until today. I installed Clover in EFI partition that contains Windows loader. Rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi as bootmgfw-orig.efi. Next move CLOVERX64.efi here and rename it as bootmgfw.efi.

• Like 1

Now I see more then ten places with such combinations.

• Like 1

@Slice That sounds right, that's why you've got to make sure it's the one with the same sequence exactly 0x24 bytes ahead of it. Gsly's code in the kernel_patcher.c can easily be changed to incoporate merverick's lapic patch. Here's what he did for the 64 bit mountain lion patch:

if (bytes[i+0] == 0x65 && bytes[i+1] == 0x8B && bytes[i+2] == 0x04 && bytes[i+3] == 0x25 &&
bytes[i+4] == 0x14 && bytes[i+5] == 0x00 && bytes[i+6] == 0x00 && bytes[i+7] == 0x00 &&
bytes[i+35] == 0x65 && bytes[i+36] == 0x8B && bytes[i+37] == 0x04 && bytes[i+38] == 0x25 &&
bytes[i+39] == 0x14 && bytes[i+40] == 0x00 && bytes[i+41] == 0x00 && bytes[i+42] == 0x00)
{
patchLocation = i+30;

So just add something like:

else if (bytes[i+0] == 0x65 && bytes[i+1] == 0x8B && bytes[i+2] == 0x04 && bytes[i+3] == 0x25 &&
bytes[i+4] == 0x1C && bytes[i+5] == 0x00 && bytes[i+6] == 0x00 && bytes[i+7] == 0x00 &&
bytes[i+36] == 0x65 && bytes[i+37] == 0x8B && bytes[i+38] == 0x04 && bytes[i+39] == 0x25 &&
bytes[i+40] == 0x1C && bytes[i+41] == 0x00 && bytes[i+42] == 0x00 && bytes[i+43] == 0x00)
{
patchLocation = i+31;
  • Like 2

Hi, I am on GA-X79-UD3 latest BETA BIOS F16 which has UEFI rev.2.3.1 and latest Clover as of 1 week ago. My setup is 1 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB on Intel Sata Port 0, and 1 WD 2TB Caviar Blue on a GSATA Port(Marvell 91xx 6G). I use the SSD for Windows only and the 2TB for OS X and data. The drives are all GPT. Disk layout for the WD is Part0: ESP Part1: 2GB Linux Swap Part2: 200GB HFS+ Part3:128MB Unallocated Part4: 1,6 NTFS. My problem is clover can see all my partitions EXCEPT the HFS+ one! Both in UEFI and BIOS mode(boot0->....->cloverx64.efi). It can see NTFS on WD but not HFS+(10.9.0 GM). I don't know what to do, tried with 3 different hfs+ efi drivers, still the same... When booting via Chameleon(leftover from previous install on MBR WD 2TB, stayed there when I converted to GPT) on WD 2TB it can see the Mavericks HD partition. I am clueless now, Any help? I would like to replace the windows 8 efi bootloader with clover to boot everything.