Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,872 posts in this topic

Hi SoThor!

What you just fixed and this are actually two different issues...

The reason I don't do boot.efi reading during scan is because I prefer to avoid reading larger files (boot.efi is about 0.5 meg) during scan.

We could do all the OS X detection using boot.efi, as it's the most reliable, but it does add an overhead, and I don't think it's worth it.

Regarding Recovery - you can check yourself - com.apple.recovery.boot\SystemVersion.plist was removed from recovery partition as of 10.9.

We always got version for Recovery partitions using this file, it existed before, and we could successfully retrieve version using it.

I confirmed on multiple systems that SystemVersion.plist exists for 10.7 and 10.8 recovery partitions (and contains the proper version) but doesn't at all for 10.9 recovery. If you know of a case where this is not true, please do let me know. Additionally Clover completely relies on this file for detecting versions for all OSX, and this currently seems the only case where it's not there.

Honestly, I don't like these kinds of heuristics either, and actually Clover contained similar assumptions about Installer, which I removed when I added boot.efi version detection.

For Installer I think it's OK to just use the "mac" icon type in menu (as it's a one-time boot which disappears after). But for Recovery - as it stays there - I think it's better to actually have the OS version so it is displayed properly in menu.

And regarding assuming too much - what's the risk? Worst case scenario is ending up with the wrong icon for Recovery (which shouldn't happen anyway). So I think that overall this is currently the best solution for this. And I will keep an eye open to see if anything changes in this regard. ;)

Okay, I just wasn't sure if it was just an attempt to fix the issue with the wrong Volume icon or not. So was just making sure. You have checked everything out so all is good :)

You are right there isn't much harm in doing it like that. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and don't want to make any assumptions we don't have to.

I think clover has done something to my bios.

I used the option to add clover to EFI when booting from UEFI and then the option to boot this device has gone.

I didn't realise this was what happened until I booted another usb key with different version of clover and it was available for UEFI boot, but when adding to efi it again disappeared.

also, my bios now reports 8gb ram where 12gb was installed. the board and ram are fine. it seems that maybe clover changes something in nvram?

how can I boot into uefi clover and revert the changes?

I did not know where else to post this message :(

okay I've solved the missing UEFI boot options, looks like lenovo hides any efi boot option in nvram that isn't 'windows boot loader' or 'red hat linux' or a couple of other 'supported' bootloaders. I used an Ubuntu to remove the entries and it's all good.

but the memory limit thing is still an issue. I think it may be the aptiofix/ aptiolowmem driver overwriting something in the NVRAM. its related to the dim slots rather than the physical ram, I can get 12 or 16gb by using 8gb modules. but it seems to limit the banks in concurrent use from 4 to 2.

booting into bios or windows shows 8gb ram, booting into os x shows the correct 12gb, but it wont boot without aptiofix / aptiolowmem.

is there somewhere else I need to discuss this? i'm new to clover. are the aptiofix drivers maintained by someone else? is there source code?

thanks!

I'm having trouble getting custom entries to show up at all on r2217 (or any revision for that matter). I followed the wiki. Here's that part of my config.plist. (Ignore the empty volume UUID)

DMaCpyJ.png

Any chance you could share a boot.log (or preboot.log)? It is difficult to know what the problem is otherwise.

okay I've solved the missing UEFI boot options, looks like lenovo hides any efi boot option in nvram that isn't 'windows boot loader' or 'red hat linux' or a couple of other 'supported' bootloaders. I used an Ubuntu to remove the entries and it's all good.

but the memory limit thing is still an issue. I think it may be the aptiofix/ aptiolowmem driver overwriting something in the NVRAM. its related to the dim slots rather than the physical ram, I can get 12 or 16gb by using 8gb modules. but it seems to limit the banks in concurrent use from 4 to 2.

booting into bios or windows shows 8gb ram, booting into os x shows the correct 12gb, but it wont boot without aptiofix / aptiolowmem.

is there somewhere else I need to discuss this? i'm new to clover. are the aptiofix drivers maintained by someone else? is there source code?

thanks!

?

AptioFixDrv is essential part of Clover. It created by dmazar and supported by rest developers.

Here is the sources

OsxAptioFixDrv         

Hi Slice

Yes. That's because the icon uses the newer os type ic07 format introduced in OS X 10.7.

This is the problem that Clover (or rEFIT load_icns.c) has - it doesn't know about the newer os type.

attachicon.gifv2.4.png

You compressed the image as JPEG2000?! It's too complex to release in Clover.

No. ic07 supports either JPEG2000 or PNG.

I've used PNG. 

post-331032-0-14782800-1381319031_thumb.jpg

EDIT: No need to add support for JPEG, load_icns.c just needs to identify ic07 os type then try to read the .PNG data and decode it. I did try and managed to add identification for ic07 but failed with trying to pull out the PNG data as my coding skills are not good enough.

Other possible idea to keep all themes as archives. The EFI folder will be significant reduced without quality lost

Screen shot 2013-10-09 at 15.47.53.png

PS. But slow start to unpack all.

Hi SoThor!

What you just fixed and this are actually two different issues...

Yes, I wrote the boot.efi version reading. But he reason I don't do it for all cases is because I prefer to avoid reading larger files (boot.efi is about 0.5 meg) during scan.

We could do all the OS X detection using boot.efi, as it's the most reliable, but it does add an overhead, and I don't think it's worth it.

Regarding Recovery - you can check yourself - com.apple.recovery.boot\SystemVersion.plist was removed from recovery partition as of 10.9.

We always got version for Recovery partitions using this file, it existed before, and we could successfully retrieve version using it.

I confirmed on multiple systems that SystemVersion.plist exists for 10.7 and 10.8 recovery partitions (and contains the proper version) but doesn't exist at all for 10.9 recovery. If you know of a case where this is not true, please do let me know. Additionally Clover completely relies on this file for detecting versions for all OSX (regular+server+recovery), and this currently seems the only case where it's not there.

Honestly, I don't like these kinds of heuristics either, and I added it without liking it :) Actually Clover contained similar assumptions about Installer, all of which I removed when I added boot.efi version detection.

For Installer I think it's OK to just use the "mac" icon type in menu (as it's a one-time boot which disappears after). But for Recovery - as it stays there - I think it's better to actually have the OS version so it is displayed properly in menu.

And regarding assuming too much - what's the risk? Worst case scenario is ending up with the wrong icon for Recovery (which shouldn't happen anyway). So I think that overall this is currently the best solution for this. And I will keep an eye open to see if anything changes in this regard. ;)

That's why I can't create a proper recovery partition by RecoveryHDUpdater for Find My Mac. The partition structure has changed.

P/S: I have created Recovery HD 10.9, and it has com.apple.recovery.boot\SystemVersion.plist

Other possible idea to keep all themes as archives. The EFI folder will be significant reduced without quality lost

attachicon.gif Screen shot 2013-10-09 at 15.47.53.png

PS. But slow start to unpack all.

I don't think that's necessary. As you say, there would be a noticeable delay in loading the GUI which I think would be detriment to the process.

Don't get me wrong, Clover's GUI is great and fine as it is. Overall, I'm happy for the Clover theme files to remain as they are. I was just highlighting that if desired, there is an option to reduce the size of the graphic files, of which the smaller PNG files can already be read by Clover. 

The benefits of doing so would be to maybe increase theme loading time (albeit only by maybe fractions of a second), speed up checkout, reduce total repo size and the package installer. Nothing major, but an option never the less.

The only downside is with the .icns files as the newer type is not supported by load_icns.c. Which brought up the question of 1) would it be worth trying to add support for the new .icns type? and 2) why use .icns for the os icons and not just stick with PNG for all theme files?

Hi, we need one more features to prevent duplication of "Install OS X Mavericks". createinstallmedia tool from apple make USB key with Mavericks but it make \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi and \.IABootFiles\boot.efi. Clover should show only one of these.

30:752  0:000  18: 'Install OS X Mavericks'
30:754  0:001  partial volumetype match for path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1D,0x0)\USB(0x1,0x0)\USB(0x6,0x0)\HD(4,GPT,2B9AB233-22D3-4117-9AFB-7B0773AA97BA,0x3078920,0xAF76B8)\\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi` and custom entry 0, path did not match
30:767  0:013      Added 'Boot Mac OS X from Install OS X Mavericks': OSType='1', OSVersion='10.9'
30:767  0:000  partial volumetype match for path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1D,0x0)\USB(0x1,0x0)\USB(0x6,0x0)\HD(4,GPT,2B9AB233-22D3-4117-9AFB-7B0773AA97BA,0x3078920,0xAF76B8)\\.IABootFiles\boot.efi` and custom entry 0, path did not match
30:776  0:008      Added 'Boot OS X Install from Install OS X Mavericks': OSType='11', OSVersion='10.9'

preboot.log.zip

The only downside is with the .icns files as the newer type is not supported by load_icns.c. Which brought up the question of 1) would it be worth trying to add support for the new .icns type? and 2) why use .icns for the os icons and not just stick with PNG for all theme files?

1) Looks to be impossible as JPEG2000 codec is very complex.

2) It is possible but requires careful checking all codes so that old style with icns also will be possible.

@Slice Please  i have a little question to ask you,

but clover applies by default cstate and pstate ?

Carmine

Yes. As well as if not then BIOS proposes you some tables for p and c -states. Other tables but also they presents by default.

Clover proposes you to replace BIOS SSDT table by artificial created.

Why do you can't say directly that you are not contented?

1) Looks to be impossible as JPEG2000 codec is very complex.

2) It is possible but requires careful checking all codes so that old style with icns also will be possible.

Yes. As well as if not then BIOS proposes you some tables for p and c -states. Other tables but also they presents by default.

Clover proposes you to replace BIOS SSDT table by artificial created.

Why do you can't say directly that you are not contented?

Sorry blackosx, I missed your post about your image is png not jpeg2000. Yes, it is possible to make.

Update my Bios on my ga-x79a but i have Restart & Shutdown problem using Clover.. with Chameleon no problem.

Any pointer slice? thanks

47 factors influent on this.

• Like 1

Referring to my previous post, I think I found the problem, but I'm not sure how to solve it. I got the UUIDs of the partitions with the diskutil command, but my boot.log is showing the target partition as something else. I'm not sure how it displays, but the other entries have a "normal" looking UUID. (Maybe because these partitions are all active?)

(below is Windows 8.1, which I have the UUID to be 6F8E7C9A-0666-481F-B069-5782E7FC72B7)
Checking volume "Legacy HD2" (PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(2,MBR,0x2D9BD451,0x59A88D3,0xA7A3588))

Hi Slice and devs, as ProjectOSX is down I guess here is the next best thing. 

Got a few issues... last night I updated from rev. 1995 to rev. 2184. I was having a problem with a system error upon logging in saying that the system did not shutdown correctly (looks fine though). I saw that this was 'fixed' in revisions past 1995 but I'm still getting the same problem.

To me it looks like something to do with my nvram because 

When I first moved from Chameleon to Clover dmazar helped me configure Clover so that I could save rt variables in my nvram. I created a test variable to check if it was being saved or not after a reboot this is what it was "Test  |   Variable". The reason I think my issue is related to here is because this variable is still here after I clear my nvram using 'nvram -c' and then rebooting. It seems that Clover has saved its own old nvram somewhere (inside of emuvariableuefi-64.efi) and is not updating it. I say this because the error that I'm getting when logging in shows what kernel version I have and it says '10.8.4' along with kexts that I don't have installed, I now don't have mountain lion installed any more and have wiped the partition (just running 10.9 GM).

I use rt scripts which was fine but from releases leading up to 1995 I got this error when logging in. 

So how can I stop this error from showing each time I log in its getting really annoying now? 

Also I wasn't able to install Clover on 10.9 but last night it installed. I'm now trying to install rev. 2217 but I'm getting installation failed. I have enough space on my EFI partition and its formatted to FAT32. I don't know whats wrong with the installer? 

Thanks

Hi, we need one more features to prevent duplication of "Install OS X Mavericks". createinstallmedia tool from apple make USB key with Mavericks but it make \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi and \.IABootFiles\boot.efi. Clover should show only one of these.

30:752  0:000  18: 'Install OS X Mavericks'
30:754  0:001  partial volumetype match for path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1D,0x0)\USB(0x1,0x0)\USB(0x6,0x0)\HD(4,GPT,2B9AB233-22D3-4117-9AFB-7B0773AA97BA,0x3078920,0xAF76B8)\\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi` and custom entry 0, path did not match
30:767  0:013      Added 'Boot Mac OS X from Install OS X Mavericks': OSType='1', OSVersion='10.9'
30:767  0:000  partial volumetype match for path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1D,0x0)\USB(0x1,0x0)\USB(0x6,0x0)\HD(4,GPT,2B9AB233-22D3-4117-9AFB-7B0773AA97BA,0x3078920,0xAF76B8)\\.IABootFiles\boot.efi` and custom entry 0, path did not match
30:776  0:008      Added 'Boot OS X Install from Install OS X Mavericks': OSType='11', OSVersion='10.9'

attachicon.gifpreboot.log.zip

OK, done with r2226.

• Like 1