[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Just reporting in on what I've got here.. installed just last night.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

2x Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 @ 800 MHz (SPD timings unknown.. i didn't see where to modify it in BIOS)

eVGA 7300GT 256MB (titan from the JaS installer)

USB DVDRW + IDE DVDRW

Seagate 80GB SATA (SATA0)

4x 400GB WD4000KS Drives (all visible but 1.. might be a filesystem thing.. all use NTFS)

Seagate 200GB PATA

Using JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 with v1p patch. I installed the gigabyte DS3-4 package with all the known fixes for audio, ethernet, etc. Most things worked. I want to point out though, that if you are using the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 distro, DO NOT install the ICH8 compatibility fix from Pion's gigabyte package. I ended up reinstalling OSX again every time I did (for verification).

I have some drives not showing up, but I can probably attribute that to problems reading the NTFS data on those drives. So far so good here... ethernet working, audio is untested since it was already late at night, file sharing within my LAN works excellent. Much thanks for all the info in this forum and in this thread in particular :lol:

Just wanna share my experiences with my GA-965P-S3 (rev1.0, F8 BIOS).

Followed the guide and got LAN and Audio working post-install (Marvell8053 to Marvell8056 trick; ALC883 3ports - stereo only working now), BUT strangely enough, I had to set the JMicron controller to AHCI when installing to avoid the "waiting for root device" error BUT I can only boot into OSX with the JMicron at IDE mode. It's perfect as I don't want to enter BIOS to change AHCI to IDE when booting into XPSP2 (installed it using IDE before OSX, booting with AHCI on results in BSOD). I installed JaS 10.4.8 SSE2.SSE3 with ppf1, Intel Packages and TITAN/NATIT for NV40 on a different disk from my XPSP2 and use the F12 POST keypress option to boot (i don't like messing with bootloaders, though I perfectly know how to use them). F8 BIOS for the GA-965P-S3 also includes AHCI mode for the ICH8 controller, but haven't tried those ports yet. All NTFS partitions can be read, not write of course. Got my Samsung ML-1610 laser printer to work with ML-1710 SPL2 drivers. BT878 tuner doesn't work (iTV panics), Audigy2ZS TI firewire chip is detected and working. Had to install Intel ProKit for Aperture to work.

Now working on non-destructively resizing my partitions and getting multi-channel audio to work (i want my 5.1).

This is making me crazy. I got 10.4.8 to install on my GA-965p-S3, dvd install booted up etc...The installer finishes and the system restarts. Thats where I'm stuck. I get the Grey Apple logo screen, spinning process wheel for about 10 seconds and blamo, black screen, nothing, monitor tells me no input from system. Heatsink and harddrive is still running through, just not doing anything...It happens with all of these BIOS settings:

- SATA Native Port 0-3 Active, SATA cntrl Mode - IDE (system dies)

- SATA Native Port 0-3 Active, SATA cntrl Mode - AHCI (Blinking _ than boots to Grey Apple Screen - fade-to-black)

- SATA Native Port 0-3 Disabled, SATA cntrl Mode - AHCI (Blinking _ than boots to Grey Apple Screen - fade-to-black)

- SATA Native Port 0-3 Disabled, SATA cntrl Mode - IDE - (system dies)

This is all with the SATA converted IDE DVD, and SATA HD connected to the purple ports.

Ok, so lets try it with the devices on the orange ports...

- SATA HD on Purple / SATA converted DVD on orange - System wont even boot to Apple Logo screen, hangs at "Boot from CD/DVD - blinking "_".

- HD/DVD connected both on orange ports...same boot from cd/dvd problem from above.

- Port 03 Native Mode Enabled / Ctrl Mode set at AHCI and DVD connected to Purple and HD to Orange the same stuff, but I will get a difference with the Grey Apple Logo screen hanging, and the Stop Sign (circle with line through it) will appear, and the process meter on the bottom will just spin forever...About 10 seconds into the process wheel, my DVD rom spins like crazy but stops.

When I boot using -v to see what the hell is going on, the last time I can see before the screen goes black, is something about a "diskmsg" (cant read it, goes too fast) and the next line is about here being no airport driver..

Heres my DVD Install:

JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 + v1p + Defaint v2p patch

Hardware:

Intel Core 2 Duo

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3

1 (2x512) GIG Geil 240-DDR

NEC IDE DVD burner with Rosewill RC204 to convet from IDE to SATA

Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB SATA

I'm at the point I may just try 10.4.7...

I just wanna say that I was really apprehensive about installing OSX, hearing about all the things that could go wrong, how my IDE DVD drive wouldn't work, etc. - well I thought I'd share my experience.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (F8 BIOS)

2GB RAM

7900GS graphics card

Seagate 320GB SATA drive

I used the JaS SSE2/3 AMD/Intel ISO, with the ppf (v1p or whatever it's called) applied.

Now I know you're gonna think I'm crazy, but installation was absolutely painless.

My BIOS settings for hard drives/IDE/etc. are all default - ie. native mode off, control mode IDE. Hard drive plugged into Intel (orange) ports. I popped in my DVD, restarted, booted into setup just fine, everything installed fine and dandy - with DVD running from a DVD-writer (BenQ DW1640) attached to the IDE port. Don't ask me how, it's just plugged in there (I have a DVD-reader running as slave as well) - I didn't expect it to work either. Setup finished, restarted, OS X sitting there and working just fine. Don't ask me how, it just is. Maybe the IDE thing is a DS3 only problem?

Anyway, now all that's left is to get my LAN and audio working. I also heard you can read (but not write) from NTFS partitions - is this true?

Edit: It doesn't seem to do anything bad, but every time I start up, I get "Errors encountered when starting up the computer", and then something like "Pause 5 seconds" - is this normal?

Also, I'm a little confused by this titan/natit business - are these graphics card drivers? What should I be using for my 7900GS?

Edited by Zeef

I just wanna say that I was really apprehensive about installing OSX, hearing about all the things that could go wrong, how my IDE DVD drive wouldn't work, etc. - well I thought I'd share my experience.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (F8 BIOS)

2GB RAM

7900GS graphics card

Seagate 320GB SATA drive

I used the JaS SSE2/3 AMD/Intel ISO, with the ppf (v1p or whatever it's called) applied.

Now I know you're gonna think I'm crazy, but installation was absolutely painless.

My BIOS settings for hard drives/IDE/etc. are all default - ie. native mode off, control mode IDE. Hard drive plugged into Intel (orange) ports. I popped in my DVD, restarted, booted into setup just fine, everything installed fine and dandy - with DVD running from a DVD-writer (BenQ DW1640) attached to the IDE port. Don't ask me how, it's just plugged in there (I have a DVD-reader running as slave as well) - I didn't expect it to work either. Setup finished, restarted, OS X sitting there and working just fine. Don't ask me how, it just is. Maybe the IDE thing is a DS3 only problem?

Anyway, now all that's left is to get my LAN and audio working. I also heard you can read (but not write) from NTFS partitions - is this true?

Edit: It doesn't seem to do anything bad, but every time I start up, I get "Errors encountered when starting up the computer", and then something like "Pause 5 seconds" - is this normal?

Also, I'm a little confused by this titan/natit business - are these graphics card drivers? What should I be using for my 7900GS?

Use Titan and you can get your 5.1 audio working by installing the drivers (ALC883) by skippyretard from this thread.

Edited by chelhydra

Nobody's heard from me for awhile, but I've been quietly working in the background that last few days. Here's a writeup that should go somewhere at the front of the tutorial.

AHCI and NCQ in 10.4.8 (faster hd speeds)

NOTE: If XP is not running in AHCI, then you might not want make this modification because you will have to switch back and forth in the bios when you want to switch operating systems.

1.Get the F10 Bios

The easiest way to do this is to use the @bios utility in XP. If you don't have XP, then you're probably smart enough to figure out how to flash your own bios =). You can find @bios on the install cd that come with the motherboard or download it from the gigabyte site here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTec...tech_a_bios.htm

When you connect to a server, make sure that you are getting F10 or higher bios. The American server currently only has F7 so you might want to try the Taiwan Server. Of course, if you're living in Taiwan, that didn't really occur to you did it? =)

After you breathe a sigh of relief that you haven't ruined your motherboard with a Bios flash, you'll be treated to a nifty new splash screen on your next boot.

2.Enable AHCI

Now then hold the "Delete" key while booting in order to boot into Bios.

1. Enable SATA Native

2. Enable SATA AHCI

reboot

3. Modify AppleAHCIPort.kext

1. Boot OS X

2. Launch Terminal (It's under utilities)

3. Use the following code:

sudo -s

(enter your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/

emacs Info.plist

(Go down to the area marked <key>ICH7MAHCI</key>. About 9 lines under insert 0x28248086 in place of the old number in the section between <string> and </string>. After you insert the id, hold Ctrl, then press x, then c. When you are prompted whether you would like to save, press y)

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairPermissions /

That's it. Thanks goes to Stiffy for this. If anyone wants to make a quick installer or something, I think we'd all be grateful. BTW, with AHCI enabled, my Xbench disk test (WD SATA) went from 7 to 65.

Edited by Conroe Mac

Alright so another quick writeup for DS3 owners, and probably quite a few others:

Getting the correct time to display in OS X

If you're dualbooting, you probably noticed that your time keeps changing and it's really annoying. First, I'll explain why it happens, then some options I've found.

Why oh Why?

Basically, when XP starts up it uses the local time. So if your motherboard says it's 6pm, then XP says it's 6pm.

When OS X starts up, it adds from another time to get your local time. So if your motherboard says it's 6pm, and you live on the other side of the world, then your time goes wacky.

So, how do I fix it?

Two solutions: Neither perfect

1. I have found the simplest way to fix the problem is to open the date and time in OS X. Deselect "set date and time automatically" and then set your time to London GMT time. Reset your computer and set the motherboard time to the correct time.

Downside: According to your computer you live in London. You actually live somewhere really lame. You are living a lie.

2. Grab the script from this thread and run it in windows:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=wrong+time

Downside: It takes longer, you have to run something every time you boot windows, and I am not quite sure this will work if you are triple booting.

Disclaimer: All information shamefully stolen from the above thread for the glory of Gigabyte users.

Edited by Conroe Mac

This thread feels like it's slowly dying. Did we figure everything out? At any rate, I'm not going to write this up completely, but I will mention that XP and Vista also work in AHCI mode. You must modify the Intel Matrix drivers to get Windows to work with AHCI. It's probably a good idea to do that when you format for a fresh install. Here are some directions from Stiffy to get Windows working without reinstalling:

To get the AHCI work and w/o reinstall XP, you need 2 hdd drives and following this:

1, BIOS setup ICH8 to none-AHCI mode and JMB to IDE mode

2, Plug your main hdd which installed XP system to 1st port of ICH8 and the second hdd to JMB363 port

3, Boot XP form main hdd, and let the XP system auto install the driver of JMB port/second hdd(standard IDE port)

4, Plug the main hdd to JMB port, the second hdd to ICH8 1st port

5, BIOS setup the ICH8 to AHCI mode

6, Boot XP from main hdd on JMB port

7, When XP system booted and find the new hardware, give it the modified AHCI driver

8, After AHCI driver installed, in hardware device manager, you can see your second hdd on "ICH8 AHCI port"

9, Now, plug back your main hdd on 1st port of ICH8, reboot it (do not care about the second hdd, where ever you plug it to any port or just drop it to trash can :-) )

Thanks again to Stiffy on this one. The ability to run both operating systems in AHCI is a huge benefit.

Easier way if you don't mind using only the JMB ports for AHCI and have only one HDD (OS X seems to run fine from the jmicron). Set everything to IDE, non-native for ICH8 - make sure drive is on ICH8 port. Boot into windows, install the SATA driver from the jmicron site (the Gigabyte driver may also work), choosing the first option when installing (not the IDE one). Shut down instead of reboot, plug HDD into one of the jmicron (purple) ports, turn on, go straight to BIOS, set to AHCI, let Windows start, let it finish installing driver, done.

Edited by Zeef

Anyone got a working raid0 system with mac os x?

recently i got a new hd, and setup a raid 0.. but i cant get max os x working with raid.. the installation cant boot with RAID in SATA Control Mode, DVDRW in IDE port, using 10.4.8 Patched (thedguy JMicron Patch)

i can boot using 10.4.7 and a sata converter (10.4.8 doesnt work with my sata converter), but no hdd displayed in disk utility.. i think i cant use mac os x in raid here..

Hello, first post. I've studied the forums before building my new rig (see sig). I am having a hard time getting a stable 10.4.8 load (JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.v1p ppf). First attempt was smooth-I have 2 separate HDs, 1 for Vista and the other for OS X. I had my 2 SATA HDs and my SATA DVD all hooked up to the yellow ports (ICH8). Both SATA settings in the bios were enabled and set to ACHI/native mode.

I was able to boot the DVD and successfully install OS X (I already had Vista installed on the other drive along with EasyBCD). It booted up fine (dual boot was working great also) I still had to patch my Yukon network controller, and add Natit for dual display. I also installed Pion's patch. So far so good. I tried everything to get my ALC888 to work through SPDIF. The only way to get it to work was to install the DaemonES kernel, and use the AppleHDA patcher. Now everything was working great.

I started having problems with an IDE drive and my external Firewire drive not mounting (they would be mounted till the next restart). I would be fine till maybe another restart, then I would get the white screen hang (waiting for boot device). So I decided to reinstall OS X, only this time I had to move my HD to the purple port and leave my DVD drive on the yellow otherwise I would get the same "waiting for boot device" error. I just installed over my previous install and was back up running.

This time I decided to update to the latest Semthex kernel after fixing my audio problem. I was working fine for a while until I had the same problem with drives and booting. I've reinstalled about 5 times trying different things (for instance, without Pion's patch) and still am having no luck. This is driving me insane! I can sometimes startup by switching to the backup kernel in verbose mode, other times not. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try? Are there patches I should have stayed away from with the version of my install disk?

Another thing was weird, at some point during my first install, my SATA read "ICH7-M ACHI" in system profiler. All of the other installs I did they listed under "Generic ACHI". Could either of these issues be a cause of my problems? I also have an Sil 3132 SATA2 controller coming from Newegg that I will also try. I've also read somewhere that this could be a corrupted partition causing this problem. Should I reformat? Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Soprano

I spent all weekend but got my system going, it was well worth it.

Here's my parts, settings, and how I did it:

E4300 Core2 Duo (Overclocked to 3.34ghz @ 372fsb)

GA-965p-DS3 Rev2, flashed to F10 Bios

Sapphire ATI Radeon x1600 256mb

WD SATA HD

2gb Corsaire 5-5-5-12 DDR2 800mhz

Generic DVD Drive

PS/2 Microsoft Keyboard, Logitech Wireless Mouse

Bios:

Disable AHCI, set SATA to IDE.

SATA HD into the purple port, DVD-IDE worked fine.

Used the JAS-SSE2-SSE3-PPF1 install dvd, installed with only the Intel SSE package.

Made 3 partitions: one to work on, one to emergency boot from, one for Programs.

With an extra copy of OSX installed, you can make an image of your working OSX in Disk Utility, then restore it to the main partition any time fast an easy.

Putting all your programs in their own partition makes it easy to keep programs between Image restores as well.

PS/2 Keyboard worked for me right from the start, but the alt key is the Apple key, which you can apparently change by downloading the Microsoft Keyboard driver/program to remap keys.

I tried Psion's package originally but it didn't work so well for me (maybe because i have a Rev2 board?). The only thing that worked for sure was sound, but that only had output. Network didnt work. USB and IDE-DVD worked for me from the original DVD install so I didn't see the need to install the other packages.

Anyway, to enable the onboard ethernet, you have to do the original post's network fix where you change 0x53 to x56 in the AppleYukon kext.

For sound (in/out, I haven't tried the other ports yet but I assume they work), I installed the Realtek 888 Package. I don't remember if I picked the 6-port digital or 6-port regular option, I think I picked both and crossed my fingers :)

For Video, I had to install Diabologik's x1600 installer. World of Warcraft loaded fine and looked awesome, way better than it does on XP which I find really odd. It just looks 'crisper', I dont know how else to describe it. The only nuance so far is you need to have 2 monitors plugged in when you boot. If you only have one plugged in (regardless of the DVI or VGA port), it'll boot to a blank blue screen that is sometimes sheared.

General Oddities:

If I had a USB HD plugged in, it would make the mouse wonky and very slow.

Sometimes, the finder randomly crashes. (I know it can't be helped!)

Aside from that, it works like my mac mini from work..but faster!

Thanks to everyone that posted their solutions, workarounds, and tips =]

This was the most fun I had with my computer in a long time, I'm really glad I got everything working.

General Oddities:

If I had a USB HD plugged in, it would make the mouse wonky and very slow.

Sometimes, the finder randomly crashes. (I know it can't be helped!)

I was having this problem with my Firewire drive. Check the console log when this is happening. I was also unable to launch Disk Utility unless I unmounted the drive. This was the start of my problems with drives disappearing. I was hoping to keep AHCI on for Vista to get the fastest HD speeds (I have SATA2 drives). I also tried the Realtek package but it didnt work (maybe due to one of the several kernels I was trying?)

For the keyboard, try remapping it in the Keyboard+Mouse control panel. I was able to change those 2 keys around. Not sure on PS/2 keyboards.

Edited by Soprano

Ok ... Here the specs for my rig ...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

GA-965p-DS3

EVGA nVidia 7900GS

WD PATA HDD

1GB Cosair

DVD-RW DVR-109

PS2 Keyboard and USB Mouse

Ok here is my case ... i used an external 3.5" HDD drive to change my IDE DVD Drive to usb so that i can install this OS. Note: I didn't change my PATA HDD to usb or sata because the disc i am using is patch beforehand so that it can boot into OSX after installation.

Then, i have set “Sata Port0-3 Native Mode” to “Disabled”, Onboard SATA/IDE Device” to “Enabled” and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode” to “AHCI.”

After that, the problem is why do I still get the message

“System config file ‘/Library/Peferences/System Configuration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found’ when i am trying to boot my cd during startup to format my hdd and install the osx.

Thanks in advance..

• 1 month later...

After reading many post, I feel a little bit confused. Hope there is still someone that reads this thread and can help me!

I've just bought everything to create a full working Hackintosh, here are my specs:

Gigabyte DS3 + E6400

Seagate SATA2 320GB 7200.10 on ORANGE port 1 (IHC8, I presume)

Samsung DVD+RW original SATA on ORANGE port 2

Sapphire X1950XT

MacOSX Jas 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/Intel/AMD

The main problem regards the 128GB limit. In fact, I installed WinXP on a first 150GB partition, the boot using OSX DVD, but Utility Disk sees only the first 128GB of my hard drive. As far as I understood, I need to enable AHCI to see the full HD, and it works. Obviously, at this point Win doesn't boot anymore, but I see there could be a solution (I will try it asap). Here are my questions:

1. Is it correct to plug the HD in the ORANGE port? Many of you suggested to plug it into the PURPLE port, once you enable AHCI, but mabe this applies to 10.4.7. So, I don't understand if it is AHCI On -> purple and AHCI Off -> orange, or always orange, purple, or what else!!!

2. Where should I plug my DVD to get best support? Orange or Purple?

3. Could it be dangerous for HD or DVD?

Thanks in advance

It is IMPOSSIBLE to use or install OSX on an IDE drive with the onboard IDE

There are no exceptions to this rule until the kernel is modified with the code. No amount of kernel extensions will fix this either.

You just can't boot OSX from it. OSX doesn't support it, no matter if it's an HD or a dvd.

The IDE is only usable after it is installed, kexts modified, and only after you get to the desktop.

Maybe things have changed but I installed from a DVD drive (IDE) onto my WD SATA drive (in the yellow ports.)

I later moved the SATA cable to the purple ports, which worked only after I disabled RAID and turned on AHCI.

I have winXP installed on the 1st drive and OS X on the 2nd drive, aand everything works fine. Current install:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

GeForce 7800GTX (using nvidia driver)

Sony DVD

Netgear WGT311 (Does not work!)

2 x WDC2500-KS (250MB SATA Drive)

JaS 10.4.8 "ALLPACH" DVD (got it from some russian links on rapidshare)

On board networking with the Marshall Yukon kext ID change made works

Many of you suggested to plug it into the PURPLE port, once you enable AHCI, but mabe this applies to 10.4.7. So, I don't understand if it is AHCI On -> purple and AHCI Off -> orange, or always orange, purple, or what else!!!

2. Where should I plug my DVD to get best support? Orange or Purple?

3. Could it be dangerous for HD or DVD?

AHCI On, put SATA disk on the 1st purple port, DVD on the other.

I don't own a SATA DVD drive so I can't confirm that it is possible to install that way. Maybe if you put HD on purple port (AHCI ON) and SATA DVD on the 1st yellow port with the onboard SATA to IDE conversion turned on this will work.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got it to install with my plexter IDE optical. and with HDD in orange slot... then I installed all the latest updates and did the audio set in the terminal. then I rebooted and it went on this perpetual re-boot. It woulnt load osx now when I try to reinstall it says its going to take 3 hours and its 84% done!!!!