[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Which package did you use? The (newer) DS3 boards use ALC888, but there is not a patch specifically designed for that.

I have the Gigabyte DS3 (I think its a rev 1 model, im 90% sure of it) I did try the ALC888 package, but again that only gave me green jack stearo sound. So, I installed ALC883, again only green jack sound.

I then came across this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...59&hl=SPDIF

and followed the instructions for ALC883, using his 10.4.9 compatible installer. Now I have SPDIF support.

I've installed following the guide.. sata native disabled mode ide for install..after I put sata native enabled,ahci..

but it is not working. with the dvd (without pressing anything) I get /com.apple.boot.plist not found.. without the dvd it seems to hang waiting for ..??

do I have to download the version ppf1 ppf2? try something? help

(ds3 gigabyte, 160sata on purple)

alexandros7, well i tried installing osx last night, the JAS AMB/Intel SSE2/3 PPF1+PPF2 version and it was working almost fully on my DS4 motherboard (which is very similar to DS3), except Audi and LAN were not working which was an easy fix. I had the SATA HDD and the SATA DVDRW plugged into the first 2 yellow slots, with both AHCI and Native mode disabled.

But I formatted because I want to dual boot with Vista and OSX too..so i need to know what to do first. And when to change settings in BIOS.

ok! I will try.. but how have you set your bios? sata native? ide or ahci? thanks

Set this BEFORE you install os x:

sata Port0-3 Native mode [Disabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl mode [iDE]

set this AFTER installation:

Sata Port0-3 Native mode [Enabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

all i have done is followed the guide i linked you to in an earlier post to the letter. Im not sure why your getting these problems Alexandros7. As I said last post try ur SATA HDD & DVD in the orange ports.

Ragged:

Install guides are here, on the insanely mac sister site:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page This site is also a fantastic resource!

I personally followed this guide, having used linux / Grub before I found it straigh forward, remeber take your time reading :(

http://cybernet1.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-...s-mac-os-x.html

Hope this helps u both

Oxymoron: Thanks for those links, and I haveread the installations guides in the Wiki's, but they all offer really differentmethods of installations and it's confusing..what do you suggest? Vista first or OSX first? If i install Vista first, under AHCI and Native mode..then will I be able to disable those options and install OSX after that? or will that mess up the harddrive or something? I just wantto make sure I install both of them and they work fine. ;)

And also, I'd much rather prefer having the Darwin bootloader of the Vista bootloader (maybe even Acronis OS Selector..but I hate having 3rd party boot apps)..GParted is quie a linux thing and I don't think i'mtoo comfortable with that :( Plus, I don't think i'll be installing Linux right now.

alexandros7: yes, I installed in yellow slots with BOTH AHCI and Native mode disabled :) Yes I have a 320GB western digital (osx was seeing only 128 GB..but i guess that will be fixed with other patches).

hhhmmm,

I would install Vista 1st, Having tried vista before i ran ubuntu & os x im not sure how the boot loader effects it. There is a guide in that link i sent you which describes quad booting vista/xp/osx/linux i think. Read the section where they tell you how to fiddle with the vista boot loader & apply the principle they suggest for just installing vista & osx.

Hope that is clear.

I personally would use Gparted (I think its an amazing program tbh) It will allow you to set you drive partitions up properly. It is nothing to be scared off.

What i will say, if you ever stuff up os x so much in the future so much that u cant even get into XP (may work for vista) but ur xp disk in boot from it, enter recovery mode & type

fixmbr

fixboot

This has saved my xp partition many a time.

If im not helping tell me to shut up :(

Set this BEFORE you install os x:

sata Port0-3 Native mode [Disabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl mode [iDE]

i've tried plugging the 2 IDE (hard disk(WD 80gig + dvd rom using those convertor) to 2 orange sata port. darwin runs, but after awhile , it shows "Still waiting for root device"

I try to change another brand hard disk, totally cannot boot up.

:)

Oxymoron

Okay Here's the thing with me, I run the DS4 motherboard, not the DS3. The DS3 has ICH8, but the DS4 has ICH8R ;)

But, before we talk about patches, here's another thing: The OSx86 10.4.8 Install dvd that I have..when I set my rive to have native SATA mode enabled and AHCI mode enabled..then I boot with the dvd and go into osx86 install..the Disk Utility in osx CAN SEE my hard drive!! What does that mean? Does that mean that the DVD has support for ICH8R already and that it can see my hard drive? Or does that mean that my hard drive would not be supported after install?

The gigabyte ds3/ds4 pack has the ICH8 listed..but not ICH8R..so I dont know if i can install that? Or I dont know maybe the DVD i have aleady has ICH8R support? (since it can see my drive in the disk utility)

Please help! And btw for your info, I think the dvd that i'm suing is the JaS 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 with PPF1+PPF2

So my Xbench numbers are around 50 for my Samsung 500GB Sata drive, if I plug into orange or purple slots, using the Pion Jmicron or ICH8 patches and the patches listed in this thread. Are people getting speeds faster than this? If so, how?

Hi I need some help.

I can manage to boot the 10.4.8 DVD, I can go through the install but once it's done it says "error occurred with installation" - so I view the log and apparently there are lots of errors with everything, can't remember what it lists exactly but it's a lot of stuff starting with something error...

I'm installing on a SATA partition (10g), never had a problem with my old AMD but recently upgraded to Q6600 and all these problems start :/

I am using the 10.4.8 JAS DVD, the other one (10.4.6??) won't recognize ANY of my drives, only my USB CD drive - so I have to use the JAS one.

hi everbody:

I`m chinese. i`m using a Gigabyte 965P-S3(v3.3). Intel Conroe E4300 XFX 7300GT Seagate 320G SATA II Samsung DVD-RW(IDE)

i got everything works well. but i couldn`t start my Mac os x when the first time i open my computer everyday.i have to reset my computer for times.or using Xp for a while .then i can start my Mac os x .

i using "-v" to check . i found i ofen view: AppleVIAATADriver:VIA 8237 SATA(CMD 0x9000,CTR 0x9400,IRQ19,BM 0xa000)

sometimes ,it shows somethings else error.

i don`t know . anybody know that?