[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Just so you guys know, I have the DS3 with F10 BIOS and I downloaded the latest JaS iso, v1p PPF and Disk Utility PPF patch.

First time install was perfect, JMicron fully working as with Ethernet, PS/2, USB and QE/CI for my GeForce 7900 GS using Titan.

I installed Pions patch afterwards only to get stereo sound working.

Get the JaS iso and v1p PPF patch from Demonoid and click here to get the Disk Utility PPF patch.

The HFS+ Partition Error still occurs, but I bypassed that by letting it use the boot loader from the DVD, at least all the hardware works.

Would the Linux Live CD correct my issue? or am I stuck with booting from the DVD?

Semthex's Kernel update script doesn't seem to work properly with the v1p iso, but works fine with the re-seed version on my gf's hackintosh.

I tried re-installing with AHCI disabled, but when it came to formatting with Disk Utility, I could format it but the disk wouldn't mount at the end, and if I use first aid to verify the disk it would produce an error(?). It does that both with/without the Disk Utility PPF iso.

I chose to fix the error and then manually mount the drive by pressing the button at the top of the window.

The HFS+ Partition Error still occurs even with AHCI and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode 'Disabled' :hysterical:

Edited by devilhood

Hello,

i can't download the Patch from Demonoid because the registration is closed and I'm actually not registered. Does someone has the opportunity to download the Torrent-File or does someone has the file and can send it to my mail addy: ChiefShadow@gmx.de

Thx, kind regards, BoLzI

Some folks may not have a spare hard drive to load separate OS's onto. If this is the case, Windows won't boot when SATA Ctrl mode is set to AHCI. Linux supports AHCI as of recent kernels (2.6.18+) but you must compile the support in.

Also, the vendor and device ID for ICH8 controllers is the same regardless of which motherboard you use.

It's just a fix for persons in the same boat as myself. If it doesn't apply to you, that's cool. Not everyone has a dual hard drive configuration. Besides, who wants to run OSx86 off a slow 7200 RPM HD when you can load all your OS's onto a nice 10k RPM raptor =)

Just re-edited my post:

I originally stated that you could use AHCI mode with ICH8 (orange ports) using the Intel Matrix Storage drivers, however as you stated, this is not possible.

I was under the impression that AHCI mode was supported with ICH8 but it would seem that it is only supported under ICH8R.

The GA-965P-DS3 is only ICH8, so AHCI mode under Windows wouldn't work.

The odd thing is, that under AHCI mode, the System Profiler on the Mac states that NCQ mode is active, so this has led me to believe that ICH8 is the same as ICH8R but minus the RAID.

I'm in the process of putting together a hacked ICH8 (Floppy Installable) AHCI Intel Matrix Storage driver. I'll attach it to the next post and also test it myself.

On this mobo, I think AHCI mode would be natively compatible with the Jmicron controller (purple ports), seeing as it supports RAID :D

Edited by devilhood

Hi Guys.

My config:

Core 2 Duo 6400

GA-965G-DS3 board

WD 250 GB SATA HD

IDE DVDRW

JaS 1.4.8 reseed with Jmicron patch

I recently installed the JaS 1.4.8 reseed with Jmicron patch on my GA-965G-DS3. Afterwards I installed Pion's patch (all except for USB, because USB 2.0 already seemed to work).

I installed OS X on a 12 GB partition of a WD 250 GB SATA HD, leaving the rest for FAT32. However now I do not want FAT32 because of the maximum size of a single file ... 4 GB.

So I want to partition the rest of the disk ... But you cannot partition the disk you booted from so you need to startup from another disk. And this is where I get stuck. I cannot boot off the OSX install DVD anymore because it doesn't recognize it anymore... I keep getting the Still waiting for root device error.

Maybe I am not connecting my disk properly?

Don't understand because I have tried every Bios combination...

(Purple/Orange SATA, Sata 0-3 enabled/disabled, IDE/ACHI).

Or maybe it wont boot because my HD no longer has the right partition map?

(free unformatted partition with AF id)?

Is there any other way to format a partition on your startup disk?

I have also found that OSX on my x86 does not recognize ANY bootable DVD's as a Startup Disk (System Preferences -> Startup Disk) so I cannot select it there and simply startup from it.

I have also tried cloning my OSX partition to my Firewire External HD...

hoping to be able to select it as Startup Disk but no luck.

Hopefully someone knows more about this then me and can give me a few tips.

Oh yeah and my clock is really bad, it hangs and goes totally out of sync!

(I have a spare Maxtor 200 GB SATA disc, could it be used to resolve my issue?)

Otherwise... :) I ditched XP! OSX is so smooth. Mad props for the guys doing all the work.

Ok guys, I made an ICH8 AHCI compatible Intel Matrix Storage driver for use with XP and Vista.

You must copy it to a floppy and load the driver via F6 (during XP Install Disc boot) for Windows XP OEM driver support, or 'Load Driver' with Vista.

I edited all the right bits so it should work perfectly. You can even integrate the driver using nLite.

TIP: For the installation to actually start, make sure you delete all the currently made partitions!

ich8_ahci.zip

Edited by devilhood

Hi Guys.

My config:

Core 2 Duo 6400

GA-965G-DS3 board

WD 250 GB SATA HD

IDE DVDRW

JaS 1.4.8 reseed with Jmicron patch

RE:RE:RE:RE:

:thumbsup_anim: I got around to it with the new JaS 10.4.8 Intel & AMD iso ... which is available on the torrents. Booted great and finally wiped that empty space on my HD next to my startup partition.

But whats the deal with the clock? Its running so out of sync.

Anyone else have this?

No problemo, I just tested it out and it seems to work with Vista.

I have no idea if it works with XP, so I'm expecting someone to either report back with a horror story, or with a successful attempt.

I mirrored the ICH8 AHCI driver on my band site in-case anyone wants it: Click Here

Edited by devilhood

Hmm, I just figured out how to solve the HFS+ Partition Error using the information provided in this thread.

I'll put together a little simplified Vista Dual-Boot guide covering all these main issues and post it up as a new thread later on.

Edited by devilhood

Ok guys, I made an ICH8 AHCI compatible Intel Matrix Storage driver for use with XP and Vista.

You must copy it to a floppy and load the driver via F6 (during XP Install Disc boot) for Windows XP OEM driver support, or 'Load Driver' with Vista.

I edited all the right bits so it should work perfectly. You can even integrate the driver using nLite.

TIP: For the installation to actually start, make sure you delete all the currently made partitions!

I'll try win XP tonight.

What do you mean by

I tried to install modified drivers you make, here is overview (MB P5B).

SATA HD 80GB in AHCI on ICH8, with Mac OX disk utility divided in 3 parts one Mac OS, one formated in FAT32, rest left unpartitioned.

Installing WinXP with F6 loaded "Desktop ICH8" HD is seen by instalation, formated unpartitioned spaceinstall asked to restart.

Restarted did F6 again, now NTFS insted of unpartitioned space, winxp install copyed files and restarted to go on with install (floppy is removed just before restart)

After restart get message Disk error press any key

Looks like your drivers were not transfered (or whatever it might be called) to installation folder.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Vasiliy

PS. Looks like I might have found the problem

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry356029

Edited by vasiliy

Hm, most odd. Unless Vista has Native ICH8 AHCI compatibility, it should work on XP with this driver.

The controller is showing the right name in Device Manager and there were no errors for me.

When you try without F6, do you see the partitions? if you don't, then try using nLite to merge the driver into an XP installation disc, that way the drivers would be forced over into the installation.

The TIP bit was if your MBR/partition info gets screwed over (happened once to me).

Edited by devilhood

Without drivers modified by you I don't seeany SATA on ICH8 in AHCI mode

Burning nLite winXP with ICH8 integrated

will let you know if it worked

I was able to see HD but same result after files copied and restart - "Disk error"

Se la vie :D

Edited by vasiliy

Without drivers modified by you I don't seeany SATA on ICH8 in AHCI mode

Burning nLite winXP with ICH8 integrated

will let you know if it worked

I was able to see HD but same result after files copied and restart - "Disk error"

Se la vie :dev:

Try this one.

If this doesn't work then I don't really know what to do without backwards engineering the driver, which will be quite impossible for me seeing as I have almost no programming experience :)

Edited by devilhood

If I plug it to the jmicron I get "IOATAController device blocking bus" a few dozen times before I get the diskarb error message. I am not very knowledgeable on this so I have no clue of what to do. For now living with just the diskarb when connected to the ICH8 is a better deal as I am still too delighted with the dual monitor support I got from Natit.

i'm in the same situation, i get a bunch of the blocking bus messages, then diskarb and "waiting, will try again" msg. then it boots. i wish i could avoid that. also, i want to use two PATA-->SATA-converted drives on the orange ports, but it will only recognize one at a time :unsure:

Try this one.

If this doesn't work then I don't really know what to do without backwards engineering the driver, which will be quite impossible for me seeing as I have almost no programming experience :D

I was able to use your previous hacked driver with windows 2003 standard with no problems.  Listen to this!

I had installed the OS onto the jmb363 using the ahci driver.

added a drive to the ich8, showed up during post but nothing in windows.  Device manager showed ! for unknown pci device.

then I updated the driver for the unknown device with the hacked driver.  Presto drive showed up just fine.

Here's the crazy part.  I simply swapped the os drive from the jmb363 to the ICH8 and rebooted, and it came up without a problem.  HDtach showed all ports functioning at sata2 speeds.

Now all I have to do is tackle the nvidia driver problem I am having.

Thanks again!

i did this this morning, however i edited the floppy F6 drivers, i did this as follows:

1) took the ich8_ahci drivers from this site

2) Took the drivers for the jmicron controller

3) put each set in a folder

4) combined the two textsetup.oem files

5) put all files on a floppy disk

6) set F10 bios to ahci native on both controllers

7) installed xp using the floppy disk drivers (set up 250GB ntfs for xp, left the rest of 320GB for OSX)

8) installed all drivers in xp

9) rebooted, set ich8 to non-ahci and the jmicron to ide

10) installed osx (jmircon patched jas 1048 intel sse3)

11) installed ds3 package, colonels system profiler, new kernel, and natit

12) rebooted, set both controllers back to ahci

Setup:

C2D 6300

DS3

1GB RAM

320GB Seagate 7200.10

IDE Pioneer DVR-111L

Speedtouch 510 modem for ADSL connection

I tried your updated drivers, when I did F6 I didn't see as before ICH8 Desktop, there was ICH8R so I assumed that's the one edited by you. Well after all I get same message "disk error". So I thought no big deal I just reset HD boot order to boot back another HD where I have aconis (or whatever it's called). I restart PC and BIOS was stack on detecting HD (on ICH8 in AHCI mode the one with OSX and the one where I wanted to install winXP). To make story short no matter what I tried that drive still hangs BIOS on HD detecting (ICH8 in AHCI) before there was no problems. Well now interesting staff switched 80GB with OSX to JM363 SATA in IDE mode and the other one 250GH (with original winXP) to ICH8 IDE mode. Booted of 250GB HD in OS selector chosen MAC OCX with no hope (at this moment I thought I will have to reinstall it) AND it did booted perfectly normal on JM363. The only guess I have in the installation DVD "JaS 10.4.8.AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 + patch v1p" JM363 problem was fixed.

i did this this morning, however i edited the floppy F6 drivers, i did this as follows:

1) took the ich8_ahci drivers from this site

2) Took the drivers for the jmicron controller

3) put each set in a folder

4) combined the two textsetup.oem files

5) put all files on a floppy disk

6) set F10 bios to ahci native on both controllers

7) installed xp using the floppy disk drivers (set up 250GB ntfs for xp, left the rest of 320GB for OSX)

8) installed all drivers in xp

9) rebooted, set ich8 to non-ahci and the jmicron to ide

10) installed osx (jmircon patched jas 1048 intel sse3)

11) installed ds3 package, colonels system profiler, new kernel, and natit

12) rebooted, set both controllers back to ahci

So as I understood you managed to install WinXP on HD in ICH8 AHCI mode OR was it JM363 AHCI mode?

And then you switched to IDE mode to install OSX?

For me there was no way OSX would laod in IDE mode, I installed on HD n ICH8 AHCI mode.

Please comment on my first "?"

I installed xp on a drive on the ich8 (with ahci on), i then attempted to boot the install dvd, it never works if i try and install with bios set to ahci on the jmb, so i set that to ide, set the ich8 to non-ahci mode, installed osx installed all the patches i needed then changed the 2 back to achi, now i have osx and windows on ahci harddrive and the ide dvd burner set on ahci on jmb

I installed xp on a drive on the ich8 (with ahci on), i then attempted to boot the install dvd, it never works if i try and install with bios set to ahci on the jmb, so i set that to ide, set the ich8 to non-ahci mode, installed osx installed all the patches i needed then changed the 2 back to achi, now i have osx and windows on ahci harddrive and the ide dvd burner set on ahci on jmb

At the moment as long as my Mac OS X works in IDE mode I'm ok. The purpose of getting WinXP installed in AHCI mode was to get Mac OSX and WinXP working on same HD drive. I didn't have time to install winXP on JM363 in IDE mode but I assume there will be no problems, and late when I finally chose which linux to use I'll add linux to same drive.

But still please post drivers you used,

Still I’m interested in getting WinXP installed and functioning on ICH8 in AHCI mode.

So just to summarize you had ICH8 in AHCI and you managed to install winXP there with F6 floppy (with drivers you took here and modified yourself). Before installing Mac OX were you able to use WindowsXP normally? The JM363 settings should have no affect on ICH8 but still what was it set to?

Thanks

Vasilii

Edited by vasiliy

windows was working perfectly before OSX install, and is still working perfectly... the jmb was in ahci mode on my ds3, i think the big stumbling block is that you have to load two sets of F6 drivers, so you have to sort of hack them onto one floppy...

Additional: the dvd is very intermittant in osx, plus ive done all the updates so its maybe broken it

i also destroyed all lines in txtsetup.oem that were not needed for my system (all the older ich7/6 and ich8r etc.)

Edited by thegafferazzasatz