[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

My experience with OSX has shown that running the SATA DVD on the purple ports isn't the best idea. Try plugging it into 1 of the top 2 orange ports (the bottom 2 don't work). That may help some.

Hmmm but my DVD is on USB not SATA.Generally my setup is:

External DVD-rom connected via USB.

SATA harddisk connected via purple port.

So do i connect the hdisk to the orange or purple port cause the guide on 1st page says to use the purple.

I just hope that from the error im seeing it's not my dvd-rom which is not supported.

Your issues appear to be dvd related. The Hard drive is fine where it is. With 10.4.8 it's more-so a matter of prefrence as to where it gets plugged in.

You could try burning another copy of the disc, at a slower speed. If your using nero, turn on the Verify feature if you have it (there should be a check box when nero starts burnging the DVD).

Hello,

i took out the dvd-rom connected on ide and switch it with the external dvd-rom. Now it's able to install but it is still quite erratic. After installing i got this error msg that usbhub bus2 etc etc has an error. I did a hard reset and boot up osx with a kernel panic i think it has a "Stop" sign. I hard reset once more and it boot up to the wekkomen screen everything all nice but then it couldn't detect my keyboard. Switch to a Microsoft keyboard but to no avail.

Im pretty sure i installed all the packages cept for those ATI packages.

So i thought i did an bad installation. Boot up dvd and got to installation screen but now my SATA drive is not detected. :)

update:

finally installed successfully. With the SATA hdisk connected via purple port i had to set bios to disable 0-3 native and ctrl mode to AHCI else it won't works. :D

However more headaches ahead....dwl-g510 wifi adapter and my pci-e 7600GT graphic card. :)

Ok I'm not sure on your exact setup, but I only install

10.4.8 combo update

Semthex Kernel

ICH8 sata fix

DO NOT use the USB fix, it causes loads of problems.

After you get the OS installed, grab PION's patch and install everything but the ICH8 fix if you used the one on the disc.

guys i need some help ive been reading what u guys have to say about the 10.4.8 instalation and im having no luck at all.

ive got the 10.4.8 jasDVD the one from demonoid ive burnt it and it says its all good i pop it in after i disconect my SATA HDD which has XP on it leaving it to install to a IDE HDD through a IDE DVD rom... ive been reading about this IDE patch but i cant get it because 1 cant download more than 3 demonoit torrents a week so if i can have a invitation code or some one kind enough to upload it on something else id be so happy... anyway i pop the DVD in and every thing works great i get all the grey apple, then the blue screen, then the instalation this is what i dont get it installs perfectly no errors at all but when it restarts it wont work, it will come up saying running darwin wont give me any otions to hit f8 etc then it will take me to the grey apple screen then after a min or two i get a stop sign and i have to restart....... what am i doing wrong guys... im desperate now

im going into the customize thing and i click on the jas list with out clicking jas and the options underneath it are greyed out with skip next to them i click on it and it wont change from grey??? how am i meant to do it

see on the pic u showd me how they are full black underneath the list, mine are grey and with no options to change them... its either all or nothing

I will try to use RAID 1 with 2*250GB WD disks.

Report comming as soon as I have received the rest of my hardware.

I am however a complete n00b at this, so if it doesnt work, i dont realy know what settings/parameters to mess with.

And thank you very much fo rthis brilliant howto.. now i dont have to re-read the hole thread 1000 times to try to understand every step included.

Does raid work.

I am interested on raid 0.

Have anibody Tested it?

ok after some re installing and re installing the best combo i have found is using the mifki kernal with the combo update and the windowlogin thing. if i use any thing else my USB ports dont work and natit wont enable QE/CI so now with this set up i have my USB audio working but the sound quality is shocking i mean the sound is choppy. ive been to the console and it shows up with this error

Dec 11 14:36:33 alex-gs-computer kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x3472100]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (3,3c46)->(5,413).

this error repeats its self over and over. ive looked around for the solution but to no avail so does any one know how to fix this

Thanks to all the people who developed tis thing.

What extensions/patches did you use while the installation?

This is what i have:

-JAS 10.4.8 Reseed

-Gigabyte DS3 witht F7 bios.

-E6400 @ 3Ghz, VT enabled, EIST enabeld, execute bit enabled, works like a charm 24h prime.

-Sapphire X1900GT 256MB

-Samsung 400GB SATA 16MB Cache Storage connected to purple port, AHCI, native support disabled

-2 IDE DVD Burners connected to purple ports, IDE enabled.

-older PCI TI Firewire card.

-S1 Sleep mode enabled cause S3 did not work (a bit pitty).

What i like to reach:

-Full runing system IDE/DVD, FW, SATA HD, etc.

-2 Display support ( should be possible with this card with natid_edited)

Maybe someone have a similar config and can tell me what to do exactly.

My efforts so far, this is what works best for me till now:

Jas 10.4.8 Reseed, 10.4.8 Update,Mkfi Kernel, ICH8 Patch, Login window Patch, ATIX1000PCIE Patch.

Pion 1.2 Installer, without ICH8 Patch (cause i did it before)

DeamonES Kernel (cause of the FSB auto detection)

Natit Auto installer, after that changeg to natit_edited.

Dual Display work, but only VGA.

One bigger Problem is the suspend mode, even in S1 mode, when the Harddrive goes to sleep, the system hangs.

What Power Managment Bios settings you have?

Which Kernels you use?

@evlspcmk try the DaemonES Kernel on MACGEEK, your problem is maybe FSB related.

Edited by goofy

What i like to reach:

-Full runing system IDE/DVD, FW, SATA HD, etc-2 Display support ( should be possible with this card with natid_edited)

Maybe someone have a similar config and can tell me what to do exactly.

My efforts so far, this is what works best for me till now:

Jas 10.4.8 Reseed, 10.4.8 Update,Mkfi Kernel, ICH8 Patch, Login window Patch, ATIX1000PCIE Patch.

Pion 1.2 Installer, without ICH8 Patch (cause i did it before)

DeamonES Kernel (cause of the FSB auto detection)

Natit Auto installer, after that changeg to natit_edited.

Dual Display work, but only VGA.

One bigger Problem is the suspend mode, even in S1 mode, when the Harddrive goes to sleep, the system hangs.

What Power Managment Bios settings you have?

Which Kernels you use?

I have same video card.It works fine, dual display, but I have vga monitors so cant tell you about dvi. Sata hdds work just fine connected to ich8 ports 1 and 2 with JaS ich8 fix from reseed and with pion's fix of the jmicron my dvd roms are connected to the ide with no need to adapters. All at full good speed. I use semthex, but i read somewhere that mifki is better for overclocking. Not sure though.

No success with my DS3 (F8a bios), installing on a blank SATA HD :

CPU: C2Duo E6400 Memory: 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) [Not overclocked]

Seagate SATA HD on Orange port 0

LiteOn SATA DVD-RW on Orange port 1

Mouse and Keyboard connected via PS2

"Jas 10.4.8 Reseed: JaS 10.4.8 Combo.Update, SSE3.Semthex Kernel, ICH8 Support, Azalia Support, VIA.ULi.Support, ATIX1x00.pcie Support."

Also tried: SSE3.Mifki kernal, and: neither Mifki nor Semthex kernals, with same results.

Installation proceeds without error until: "system will reboot in 30 seconds": the automatic reboot never happens.

After manual reset: Darwin text mode boots to: full monitor blank blue screen, with no mouse cursor.

Reboot with installer disc and repair permissions.

Reboot HD to same blank blue screen.

Help!

Edited by richtig

goofey i could kiss you :2cents: i installed that kernal and it all works fine now no more choppy audio and ive got QE & CI enabled soim one happy camper.. thanks to you and a verry big thank you to rammjet i wish you guys a merry christmas and a happy new year

i am glad i could help you :rolleyes:

@ richtig, have you tried less patches? i would not take Azalia and Uli.

I have same video card.It works fine, dual display, but I have vga monitors so cant tell you about dvi. Sata hdds work just fine connected to ich8 ports 1 and 2 with JaS ich8 fix from reseed and with pion's fix of the jmicron my dvd roms are connected to the ide with no need to adapters. All at full good speed. I use semthex, but i read somewhere that mifki is better for overclocking. Not sure though.

Only VGA os ok, it is just a little problem.

I also have my IDE DVD Drives directly connected.

I like to use the orange port instead of the purple but it wont work without diskarp errors, which causes a 30 sec. boot delay.

But the purple one is okay with psion installer, i dont use the ich8 patch from psion cause i installed the one from JAS DVD before.

My biggest problem is that i dont get sound in Quicktime, musicMP3 etc. works?

It doesnt matter which kernel and which Midi-Sezup setting i use? EDIT:

just update Quicktime

Also sleep mode is a problem, has anyone S3 working on DS3?

At the momnet also S1 is a bit buggy ,please see below.

I now use:

Hardware:

HDD connected to purple port, Ide DVD drives directly.

Install from USB DVD.

JAS Reesed 10.4.8 with

Update, Semthex Kernel, ICH8, login patch, ATIx1000pcie

Pion 1.2 Installer

updated to newest Semhex kernel BETA via online script.

Natit Auto installer, then before reboot exchanged natid to natid_edited.

Went into single user mode, did the sudo cmds

repaired permissons.

After reboot i edited the Radeonx1000.kext, i copied the info.plst to the desktop, edited it, copied it back into the Radeonx1000.kext, edited owner and access to system and wheel, repaired permissons.

Graphics seems to work fully, even Dual Display but only VGA .

Strange

Dont know why but after i switched to S3, the system hangs several times while booting, only -v option worked.

After several boots the normal boot did worked again.

But he freezes after wake up from sleep.

So i switched back to S1, now no start problems, S1 sleep works.

The System was installed in S1 mode, does this make the difference?

So maybe it is worth to install the System again in S3 Mode?

Edited by goofy

Re: "i would not take Azalia and Uli."

Tried that: still no luck.

With SATA HD on purple port, SATA DVD-RW on orange port 1:

Now getting the gray screen with Apple logo , rotating gear icon, and after a few minutes: the "stop" slashed circle icon.

Question: does OSX boot up completely on your DS3, on the first boot after installation?

Or: are any text-mode commands entered while in the Darwin text-mode (pre-OSX boot)?

My biggest problem is that i dont get sound in Quicktime, musicMP3 etc. works?

It doesnt matter which kernel and which Midi-Sezup setting i use?

When I had that problem with my latest install, going to Software Update and installing the latest Quicktime version fixed it.