[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Thanks Rammjet, your hint worked for me.

it booted up after first install.

restart after installation will not work properly.

But after the finished install i reseted amnaually and it booted without any options.

try the -v option (f8 before boot then enter -v)

See what OSX say.

What components you use?

Edited by goofy

i am glad i could help you :)

@ richtig, have you tried less patches? i would not take Azalia and Uli.

Only VGA os ok, it is just a little problem.

I also have my IDE DVD Drives directly connected.

I like to use the orange port instead of the purple but it wont work without diskarp errors, which causes a 30 sec. boot delay.

But the purple one is okay with psion installer, i dont use the ich8 patch from psion cause i installed the one from JAS DVD before.

My biggest problem is that i dont get sound in Quicktime, musicMP3 etc. works?

It doesnt matter which kernel and which Midi-Sezup setting i use? EDIT:

just update Quicktime

Also sleep mode is a problem, has anyone S3 working on DS3?

At the momnet also S1 is a bit buggy ,please see below.

I now use:

Hardware:

HDD connected to purple port, Ide DVD drives directly.

Install from USB DVD.

JAS Reesed 10.4.8 with

Update, Semthex Kernel, ICH8, login patch, ATIx1000pcie

Pion 1.2 Installer

updated to newest Semhex kernel BETA via online script.

Natit Auto installer, then before reboot exchanged natid to natid_edited.

Went into single user mode, did the sudo cmds

repaired permissons.

After reboot i edited the Radeonx1000.kext, i copied the info.plst to the desktop, edited it, copied it back into the Radeonx1000.kext, edited owner and access to system and wheel, repaired permissons.

Graphics seems to work fully, even Dual Display but only VGA .

Strange

Dont know why but after i switched to S3, the system hangs several times while booting, only -v option worked.

After several boots the normal boot did worked again.

But he freezes after wake up from sleep.

So i switched back to S1, now no start problems, S1 sleep works.

The System was installed in S1 mode, does this make the difference?

So maybe it is worth to install the System again in S3 Mode?

I am not sure about the S1 S3 issue, my motherboard has the default S1 selected. Sleep is not a big issue for me, I just selected HDDs always on in osx. There is a fix for the diskarb error by Stiffy, post #431, here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6858&st=420

Thanks for the hint.

But do you think it will give much more speed.

i dont like he disabeld native mode.

Ok my Xbench Result is not very high, low OpenGL 67.21 with X1900GT! Quartz is ok 228,76.

My Samsung 401LJ get 55 points, but this seems to be normal even with ICH8 ( i think).

goofey i could kiss you :D i installed that kernal and it all works fine now no more choppy audio and ive got QE & CI enabled soim one happy camper.. thanks to you and a verry big thank you to rammjet i wish you guys a merry christmas and a happy new year

If you go into IRC and grab Semthex's latest bios, that should fix the choppy audio as well. It's what I use. I can't get the overclock you have with my current chip though.

Thanks for the hint.

But do you think it will give much more speed.

i dont like he disabeld native mode.

Ok my Xbench Result is not very high, low OpenGL 67.21 with X1900GT! Quartz is ok 228,76.

My Samsung 401LJ get 55 points, but this seems to be normal even with ICH8 ( i think).

once you have the ich8 fix intalled you can use the sata native mode enabled. Thats what I have and my benchmark for the hdd gets around 58 which is a couple more points than the jmicron.

once you have the ich8 fix intalled you can use the sata native mode enabled.

Not all SATA hard drives are capable of sata native mode.

Some of the earlier SATA HD models were basically IDE drives with a built-in SATA adapter.

And incapable of "sata native mode".

If you go into IRC and grab Semthex's latest bios, that should fix the choppy audio as well. It's what I use. I can't get the overclock you have with my current chip though.

yea whats up with that over clock? i just ran a xbench and i got a score of 72 :happymac: where as with the senthex or mifki i got a 117 so thats a dramatic increase? with the deamon kernal my sys info says its a 4.0 where as with the others its a 4.3Gh which i think is a load of {censored} since its only a 3.2gh celeron D?? so is that extra power worth the upgrade to the latest semthex kernal?

Thanks, orange port is faster.

Its a brand new 401LJ Samsuns 400gb HDD, should be native capable,

But when i make stiffy´s ioata.kext mod my ide dvd drives disappear!

No disarrp error but also no ide DVD drives amymore.

Also have problems with QE with also disappears after it was working, but i dont exactly when, will go on testing (install,install,install :):unsure: .

No workaround till now, very frustrating.

Am i the only one with this problem?

Edit:

i reinstalled, it is a bit strange that i dont have to edit my grafic card device id, QE is supported without it! i only changed to natit_edited after i installed natit auto installer.

DVD still not present after i moded the IOATA.kext like stiffy said.

I will try to connect them via SATA Adaptors.

But the two problems are strange.

Edit: After tired a IDE-SATA Adaptor drives still not working in purple ports?

Diskarp fix kills my Jmicron Controller any Solution?

Thanks for help

Edited by goofy

think I MIGHT know what your problem is. In the /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

search for "0x2363197B" (no quotes) and delete just that. Save it, repair permissions, etc... reboot and see what happens.

When putting in PIONS fix for ICH8, it adds that number in there. That number is for the Jmicron controller. I think for some reason that file is being triggered because you run the jmicron controller as well.

This seems to be the solution when your DVD drives disappear.

Thanks Thedguy

All Controllers working now

Edited by goofy

This seems to be the solution when your DVD drives disappear.

Thanks Thedguy

All Controllers working now

I dont have the problem of the dvd disappearing. I didnt use pions fix for the ich8, i used the one on the 10.4.8 reseed dvd. I installed the whole thing with the Sata mode enabled and the hd connected to the ich8 1st port, the dvd connected to the ide, using 10.4.8 reseed patched with thedguy's patch. I fixed audio, yukon, jmicron, and system profiler with pions patch. I installed the Natit-edited for the dual display. I used stiffy's method to fix the diskarb error. I updated to the latest samthex to fix reboot.

Thanks JP.

As i wrote, thedguy´s tip did it.

Before i installed Via UliAta support manually fron jas reseed dvd.

And also, after this ont worked , again the pion jmicron fix.

But this all does not matter.

The 0x2363197B was the problem, it seems.

QE support is also enabled dont know why, only applied the patches in different order.

So everything is fine now

Ok he crashes sometimes when i open system profiler and click the burning devices.

But thats all.....so far.

I guess we got to such a stable osx environment that we are not posting anymore.

Not for my DS3 (F8 bios) board.

The 10.4.8 JaS Intel SSE3 installer DVD won't recognize any SATA hard drive when plugged into a purple port.

It only recognizes SATA HD's when plugged into an orange port. So then, OSX install goes thru to completion, but the HD can't

boot afterwards.

Not for my DS3 (F8 bios) board.

The 10.4.8 JaS Intel SSE3 installer DVD won't recognize any SATA hard drive when plugged into a purple port.

It only recognizes SATA HD's when plugged into an orange port. So then, OSX install goes thru to completion, but the HD can't

boot afterwards.

Tinker with your bios settings (for the 2 different SATA options in the bios) AFTER you install. I've had weird issues where I can install to the drives and then not boot from them, but changing the native mode setting or the raid/ide setting would fix it. No reason for it, it just fixed it.

I guess we got to such a stable osx environment that we are not posting anymore.

I got kind of bored with it. I was able to get everything working I wanted to, or at least what I was capable of (my tv card isn't support in osx).

Edited by thedguy

I got kind of bored with it. I was able to get everything working I wanted to, or at least what I was capable of (my tv card isn't support in osx).

I know what you mean, the process to make it work was exciting, the moment we have it ''all'' it got kind of just a computer, a fun one though. I was going to suggest you to update your install guide to the latest steps all in one place but I thought better and it might be more exciting to go through the tread and look for the answers that are all here ;) . Thanks for keeping up with us, you made it all way very easy!

I'm having trouble installing the reseed of JaS 10.4.8 with the following hardware:

• Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
  • E6400 Core 2 Duo
  • 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM
  • Radeon X1900XT 512 MB PCIE
  • WD Raptor 10,000RPM HD
  • LG EIDE DVD-ROM

I was able to boot up from my IDE DVD using thedguy's patch, but the computer stops responding during the install when it gets to "preparing installation". I've tried switching my HD from the orange to the purple ports with no effect and playing with the SATA options in the BIOS, no combination seems to work. The HD has three partitions on it. 2 of the 3 are empty and 1 is blank formatted for OSX w/ journaling. In the installer I've selected the ICH8 Patch and the ATI pcie card patch as well as several other combinations with no luck.

I'd appreciate any ideas anyone with a bit more experience than myself may have.

Thanks

10.4.8 is probelmatic, as someone mentioned before it is more buggy than 10.4.7.

in my case Missing Sync is not working.

Anybody got Missing Sync with 10.4.8 and this board working?

It is not only with the P965 chipset, also 945 is problematic with 10.4.8.

With 965 chipset and X1900 missing sync opens and closes 1 sec. later, with 945 chipset and onboard graphic he opens but can not sync anymore.

I tested with a 10.4.6 install and updated to 4.7 and 4.8, with both it worked bt not with 4.8.

Many people will say, only this app, it doesnt matter, but i think this is a very bad sign.

So i have to go back to 10.4.7, i think, till 4.8 gets better, but maybe it never gets.

I dont think so, but will ich8 patch work with 10.4.7?

Edited by goofy

Im having problems booting OS X after install. Everything installs fine, but once the pc is restarted after the installation, OS X will not boot, i just get a blinking dash after post screen. I have tried playing around with the orange or purple ports and the bios settings, but nothing works. By the way, I have JAS OS X 10 4 8 intel iso and during installation when I press "customize" there are no ICH8 packs or drivers. I have the seperate drivers which I can only install if OS X boots, which it doesnt.

Guys help me out. Im tired of bil gates windows.

Im having problems booting OS X after install. Everything installs fine, but once the pc is restarted after the installation, OS X will not boot, i just get a blinking dash after post screen. I have tried playing around with the orange or purple ports and the bios settings, but nothing works. By the way, I have JAS OS X 10 4 8 intel iso and during installation when I press "customize" there are no ICH8 packs or drivers. I have the seperate drivers which I can only install if OS X boots, which it doesnt.

Guys help me out. Im tired of bil gates windows.

Double check the MD5 sum of the iso file.

JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso

MD5: a1960475511ffb5ecc7447ac7d71d44c

Burn the iso (at lowest speed possible), using Nero, and let the program double-check the burned disc for any errors.

QUOTE(jp266one @ Dec 23 2006, 07:35 AM) *

I was going to suggest you to update your install guide to the latest steps.

I've been meaning to do it, just haven't been able to give myself the proper swift kick in the ass to do it.

If you could, include specific "foolproof + repeatable + known good" DS3 (F8 bios) bios settings (that is: any changes from default/Cleared CMOS) as well as purple vs. orange SATA ports.

For example: when I'm booting the 10.4.8 install disc (burned from the "JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso") the SATA HD is only recognized when

plugged into an orange SATA port. The page one instructions (in this thread) say to connect the HD to a purple port. What's the difference in my system that a SATA HD connected to a purple port is not recognized by the OSX 10.4.8 install DVD?

In bios setup, you recommend using "AHCI", but booting from the install DVD with that setting results (for me) in the slashed circle "halt" icon. So, it would be very helpful if you fully document any variables. Including such items as keyboard and mouse connection (PS2 vs. USB), exact type of SATA HD (Seagate 7200.7 vs. 7200.10, for example). If the installer says that "reboot will occur in 30 seconds", yet doesn't actually reboot, then document that fact also.

Thanks!

Edited by richtig