thedguy

348 posts in this topic

Set this BEFORE you install os x:

sata Port0-3 Native mode [Disabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl mode [iDE]

set this AFTER installation:

Sata Port0-3 Native mode [Enabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

No need! I installed 10.4.6 on AHCI drive Seagate SATA connected to purple port. Only that I need is to connect USB-to-IDE for my DVD. No change in BIOS.

Sound works in full mode (5.1 + input) but ONLY after upgrading the system to 10.4.8 with kernel 8.8.1 and kexts v.1.4.40.

The same about nVidia. Titan.kext works only in new system.

Some trick. I have many experiments with kexts and many times the system gone dead. I installed it again and again until I installed the clean system to new small partition (logical drive in extended partition). I can boot into the second system by pressing F8 while boot to MacOS. And then I can repair main system from new one.

My hackintosh:

Intel Core 2 duo E6300 1.8GHz overclocked to 2.8GHz.

Gigabyte 965P-S3 BIOS F8

Gigabyte nVidia 7300LE

RAM PC2-5300 (667MHz) 2x512Gb dual channel

Seagate 200Gb SATA

Optiarc DVD-RW AD7170A ATA - works only after intall the AppleVIAATA.kext as mentioned above.

i have a ds3/s3 and after the 1st mod for getting audio to work it doesnt.. before i go trying the 2nd (harder) option for getting sound im wondering what other people with the s3 boards did to get sound? maybe i put the wrong device id in? is the device id on the s3 and non s3 boards the same? because i dont have xp to test and get the id. maybe thats why? i recently upgraded to 4.9 and everything still works fine but still no sound.

"is the device id on the s3 and non s3 boards the same?"

I have S3 board and DevID is 883.

I have sound to work with package ALC883.mpkg found at the forum.

Why do all of you guys connect hard disks to the purple ports? I don't understand..is it farter than the yellow ports or what??

Because I installed osx86 from my yellow ports right away andeverything worked fine...

because i tried the yellow and i was getting a 5 in my xbench tests for hd speed when normal systems are getting @ 60-70. sorry but 5 is like basically not functioing and not usable, so im trying to find another solution to get my system working

because i tried the yellow and i was getting a 5 in my xbench tests for hd speed when normal systems are getting @ 60-70. sorry but 5 is like basically not functioing and not usable, so im trying to find another solution to get my system working

I wondered this also, Ive been using the yellow and the speed seems fine. I'll change to the purple and see if i notice a difference.

i'll google xbench and test it

edit: so i updated to 10.4.10 and kept getting waiting for root device, switched to the purple ports and it loaded right up. i guess that answers the other question i had :P

• 2 weeks later...

I am having some problems with this setup, and I have created a thread detailing the issues.

Could some of you who have had experience with setting this up correctly please lend me a hand?

The thread can be found here.

In a nutshell, I am trying to install the Jas 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Re-Release, and when I get to the white screen with the gray apple, after a minute or two, I get a white square with a circle and a line through it (like a no smoking sign). The thread above details my specs and everything I have tired to resolve it.

Thanks a lot guys!

I'm looking at a DS3 but, after reading this thread and HCL, I'm still unclear. Do the orange sata ports work or not? I'm buying a sata DVD writer, will this work on the orange ports?

I've read in one place that everything works and in another place that pata and the orange sata ports don't work. If someone that knows could summarize the sata and pata issues I would truely appreciate it.

Thank you!

Found my own answer. Don't know why I didn't see this thread before. Anyway, the upshot is that this board appears to be working pretty well.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=ga-965p-ds3

My understanding from a quick read of this thread is: PATA does work (after a patch I think) and the yellow sata ports work as well although some are faster than others.

* NOTE - don't take my word for this. There are a lot of notes in that thread so I was skimming pretty quickly. I post here just in case someone else is having trouble finding that thread. Go read before you buy!

Have fun

quick and goofy question, does anyone knows why after installing |uphuck 1.3| after the first restart nothing happens? no error, no nothing, black screen and the bios resume on the upper screen. No blink cursor, nor nothing.

thanks for any hint.

So I had installed 10.4.9 but am unable to OC -- I was able to in 10.4.8. My OCed PC is rock stable in XP. Is this a function of the kernel or the OS version? Will upgrading to 10.4.10 fix the problem? How do I obtain and upgrade to the latest kernel?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 and am unable to get the integrated ethernet working. I tried Jas 10.4.8 and uphucks 10.4.9, plust tried adding the gigabyte ds3-4 pack 1.2 on both with no luck. Do I have to enter device ID in some kext file for mine to work? Thanks for any help with this guys.

Hi, I have the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 and am unable to get the integrated ethernet working. I tried Jas 10.4.8 and uphucks 10.4.9, plust tried adding the gigabyte ds3-4 pack 1.2 on both with no luck. Do I have to enter device ID in some kext file for mine to work? Thanks for any help with this guys.

I have the same issue you do and spent quite a while searching to figure it out. Take a look at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=246932. I changed the post however to reflect the correct file that needs to be edited.

To get your Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet to work, you need to add your device id to the AppleYukon.kext. Go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions											 <-- changes directory
sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist   <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)
  (to:			  <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>)	   <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)
  (to:			  <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>)	   <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)
  (to:			  <string>0x436411AB</string>)	<-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O)								   <-- saves changes
(press Y and Enter)								 <-- accepts saving to existing file
(press Control-X)								   <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext	<-- repairs permissions
cd /System/Library								  <-- changes directories
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache   <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

Then reboot.

I did this last night and it works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Why do all of you guys connect hard disks to the purple ports? I don't understand..is it farter than the yellow ports or what??

Because I installed osx86 from my yellow ports right away andeverything worked fine...

how did you get your sata dvd-rom to work in the yellow ports. mine is not reckognized....

After trying multiple installation options and following this guide word for word, i've come to recieve different errors every time.

When connecting my SATA hd to the purple port

and my usb-dvd drive

i boot and instantly recieve to shutdown and restart.

when i change my bios settings im able to get to instal, but not to see my hard drive.

does maxtor sata hd not work?

can anyone give a break down for the ds3p with uphuck 1.3ir4?

UPHUCK 1.4i r3 did not work.

jas does!

After trying multiple installation options and following this guide word for word, i've come to recieve different errors every time.

When connecting my SATA hd to the purple port

and my usb-dvd drive

i boot and instantly recieve to shutdown and restart.

when i change my bios settings im able to get to instal, but not to see my hard drive.

does maxtor sata hd not work?

can anyone give a break down for the ds3p with uphuck 1.3ir4?

UPHUCK 1.4i r3 did not work.

jas does!

I had the exact same experience, JAS 1.4.8 worked like a charm for me and then upgraded to 1.4.9 from wiki.

Two questions I REALLY need help on. I've read and read and still can't get my Linksys wmp54g version 4.1 Wireless card to work or even show up. Has anyone run across a specific driver/fix for this version of the card? I tried the Device ID edit in the network.kext file but wasn't sure which ID i should try. I think i did ID's 0302 and 4320 but w/ no luck.

Also, I have the popular EVGA 7600GT Video card and while the display worked on first boot up, I've noticed two issues. One is that when I scroll up and down in the finder, or itunes or anything really that allows scrolling up and down, it doesn't refresh. Its like you see where the original list of files and to view the refreshed list after scrolling i have to click around to get the view to refresh (like clicking on file names). Same goes for moving a window around, it leaves a nasty trail of stacked window frames all over the desktop. Also, I just purchased a 24" screen and was wondering if it was AT ALL possible to run a better resolution than 1024x768 (my only option now; however I really want 1920x1200). I installed natit on installation but Im not sure how to install the latest natit version and can't find guides to it. Thank you for any responses, this has been a learning experience for sure :2cents: but I'm getting there bit by bit.

PS: Thanks for the integrated internet fix a few posts above, can't wait to try this b/c mine wasn't working either!!

I had the exact same experience, JAS 1.4.8 worked like a charm for me and then upgraded to 1.4.9 from wiki.

Two questions I REALLY need help on. I've read and read and still can't get my Linksys wmp54g version 4.1 Wireless card to work or even show up. Has anyone run across a specific driver/fix for this version of the card? I tried the Device ID edit in the network.kext file but wasn't sure which ID i should try. I think i did ID's 0302 and 4320 but w/ no luck.

Also, I have the popular EVGA 7600GT Video card and while the display worked on first boot up, I've noticed two issues. One is that when I scroll up and down in the finder, or itunes or anything really that allows scrolling up and down, it doesn't refresh. Its like you see where the original list of files and to view the refreshed list after scrolling i have to click around to get the view to refresh (like clicking on file names). Same goes for moving a window around, it leaves a nasty trail of stacked window frames all over the desktop. Also, I just purchased a 24" screen and was wondering if it was AT ALL possible to run a better resolution than 1024x768 (my only option now; however I really want 1920x1200). I installed natit on installation but Im not sure how to install the latest natit version and can't find guides to it. Thank you for any responses, this has been a learning experience for sure :) but I'm getting there bit by bit.

PS: Thanks for the integrated internet fix a few posts above, can't wait to try this b/c mine wasn't working either!!

LOL I HATE THE REFRESH RATE!

Okay a few things I have figured out.

First, use these steps to get a decent resolution:

Open Treminal from the Utilities Folder,

sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

the system ask for your password, then add it after the

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280×1024×32"</string>

save and reboot

Now for the bad semi good news, if your card has 512mb you will have to flash the rom, but it will work.

i have not done this as im current searching for a floppy drive...who knew?

here is the link

hxxp://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nvidia512cardrom.html

I just got the sound to work also by using ktexthelper and jberg's azilla ktext her modified!

Hope this helps, and hope the inet works!

This worked for me on the first instal

RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg.zip

updated my 10.4.8 JaS installation with Koolkal combo 10.4.10 update, everything works fine, just need to reinstall Pion's patch and in my case re-edit the apleyukon.kext (8053 to 8056, and 4362 to 4364). and nothing else! great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was hoping to get some insight/clarifications on the osx85 install process on a ga-p965-ds3 rev 3.3. - which i purchased after reading great things in this thread :)

1) Do i have to have SATA AHCI :Enabled in the BIOS?

2) Do i have to have SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI in the BIOS?

3) If yes to 1 & 2, has anyone been able to dual boot into osx86 and windows. I cannot install windows xp/vista if AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. Do i have to supply SATA windows drivers during install to get this to work? (ive tried several to no avail, anyone have a link possibly?)

I have been able to install uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3 when SATA AHCI: Disabled but i cannot get it to boot (halts at loading the kernel).

JAS 10.4.8 will not run the installed unless i have SATA AHCI: Enabled in the BIOS - but this prevents me from using/installing windows.

I need to be able to dual boot into windows (preferably XP) so I am trying to find a osx86 install that will let me do this w my HW.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Empire29, I have the same problem as you with uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3. It took a few attempts to get it installed (the HDD had to be attached to a yellow SATA port). But whenever I boot, after a few moments it tells me that I have to restart the PC...

OS X and Windows are on separate disks on my PC, but like you, if I want to boot back to Windows, it crashes unless I turn off all the ACHI settings in BIOS.

Any advice on the correct BIOS settings for booting up would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Headcell

I have partially set up my system (GA-965P-DS4 ver3.3). Still unable to get the ACL888 audio to work.

Anyway, I go ahead and run Xbench 1.3. The result for my Disk Test was very low (e.g at 4.6 MB/s). I wonder is it because I have wrong setting in my BIOS, or I am missing some drivers.

My HDD is connected to the ICH8R SATA port. My BIOS setting, I have

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode = Disabled

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode = Disabled

I install the system using JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & 2.

Thanks.