[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

The JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & 2 installer, I believe, has support for IDE built-in, which makes things much easier. I had downloaded uphuck's installer, which is causing me problems.

I've been trying to download JaS 10.4.8 with the 10.4.9 update, but it's soooo slow - I'm told it will take 5 days to download!

Still, it will probably be worth it if it work.

Headcell, I was finally able to install using Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].Using the aforementioned installer I installed w/ AHCI turned OFF in the BIOS. After installation the machine rebooted and i was able to boot into OSX86 without issue. I ended up turning AHCI back ON in the bios because disk speeds were very slow (3-4 MB/s) and improved significantly (30-40 MB/s) after turning AHCI on in the BIOS.

Empire29, I have the same problem as you with uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3. It took a few attempts to get it installed (the HDD had to be attached to a yellow SATA port). But whenever I boot, after a few moments it tells me that I have to restart the PC...OS X and Windows are on separate disks on my PC, but like you, if I want to boot back to Windows, it crashes unless I turn off all the ACHI settings in BIOS.Any advice on the correct BIOS settings for booting up would be very welcome.Many thanks,Headcell
I have partially set up my system (GA-965P-DS4 ver3.3). Still unable to get the ACL888 audio to work.Anyway, I go ahead and run Xbench 1.3. The result for my Disk Test was very low (e.g at 4.6 MB/s). I wonder is it because I have wrong setting in my BIOS, or I am missing some drivers.My HDD is connected to the ICH8R SATA port. My BIOS setting, I haveSATA RAID/AHCI Mode = DisabledSATA Port0-3 Native Mode = DisabledI install the system using JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & 2.Thanks.
MacKnight, In your BIOS set:SATA AHCI :Enabled SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCIThis will speed up your disk access times to 30-40 MB/s.Note you will not be able to boot into Windows after doing this -- you will either have to revert your BIOS settings or re-install Windows (supplying AHCI SATA Controller drivers during the installation process).
I have partially set up my system (GA-965P-DS4 ver3.3). Still unable to get the ACL888 audio to work.Anyway, I go ahead and run Xbench 1.3. The result for my Disk Test was very low (e.g at 4.6 MB/s). I wonder is it because I have wrong setting in my BIOS, or I am missing some drivers.My HDD is connected to the ICH8R SATA port. My BIOS setting, I haveSATA RAID/AHCI Mode = DisabledSATA Port0-3 Native Mode = DisabledI install the system using JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & 2.Thanks.

Thank you for that. i was wondering about the ACHI setting.

As soon as I have successfully downloaded the JaS installer I'll give it a go. Depite having 30% downloaded, last night the ETA increaded from 2 days to 1 week! Slowly but surely the download makes progress.

I have noticed that if I have ACHI turned on, Windows won't boot. So I guess I'll have to reinstall it...

thanks again, empire 29. Very helpful information.

Not a problem,

I am currently experimenting with installing windows on the ga-p965-ds3 in AHCI mode.

in my BIOS (i have the lastest, F11 or 12 i believe) i have:

Integrated Peripherals

SATA AHCI: Enabled

SATA/IDE Control Mode: AHCI

Using these settings I am able to install Vista Ultimate without extra drivers -- though im not sold on Vista yet -- there seems to be alot of HDD activity even whenever i do anything in it - and in my book silence is next to godliness.

I am able to install Windows XP using a Floppy Disk containing the ICH8 SATA AHCI Drivers. To do this I have to plug my HDD into the Jmicron (Purple) Sata Ports and use the drivers from the Gigabyte Windows XP Driver/Utility DVD.

To create the driver disk

1) get a blank floppy

2) boot into a a valid windows install

3) run GigaByte Driver/Utility DVD/BootDrv/Menu.exe

4) Choose option (E) -- Gigabyte SATA Raid 32bit drivers.

5) The required drivers will be written to the floppy.

6) Boot your WinXP CD, hit F6 to load other drivers, and put the floppy in.

7) You will have 4 driver choices, pick the AHCI version (not the RAID) of the first set (If memory serves its the driver version that ends w a '3'). 8) You will then be able to install WinXP to your HDD and avoid the BSoD.

I haven't had any luck installing WinXP to the ICH8 Intel Sata Ports (orange/yellow) in SATA AHCI mode.

My next step is to try switching the WinXP install over to the Intel (yellow/orange) SATA ports to see if I can boot the AHCI WinXP installation off those.

Also - re: your download speed. I know there are several BT sites that have this iso. I was able to DL mine in 5-6 hours. If you are using Azerous setting your max connections to unlimited. This may slow your computer down considerably but your download rate should skyrocket (as long as you have the bandwidth and peers to support it)

Thank you for that. i was wondering about the ACHI setting.

As soon as I have successfully downloaded the JaS installer I'll give it a go. Depite having 30% downloaded, last night the ETA increaded from 2 days to 1 week! Slowly but surely the download makes progress.

I have noticed that if I have ACHI turned on, Windows won't boot. So I guess I'll have to reinstall it...

thanks again, empire 29. Very helpful information.

I'm considering it -- I read a rumor in another thread that a user was having crashes when he got to 3.2 GB memory usage no matter what. So I wanted to survey other folks and see. I have been having random crashes as well but it's been a while since I played with the hackintosh and I did got up to 10.4.10 with patches so I was thinking it could also have been a flaw with the patches as well.

So I guess the true test would be to go back to JAS 10.4.8, test for crashes with 4 GB, then test with 2 GB, before bumping to .9 or .10.

But I am curious if there is anyone here running panic-free in any version on this board with 4 GB.

Also - re: your download speed. I know there are several BT sites that have this iso. I was able to DL mine in 5-6 hours. If you are using Azerous setting your max connections to unlimited. This may slow your computer down considerably but your download rate should skyrocket (as long as you have the bandwidth and peers to support it)

Thanks for the tip. I've been using uTorrent. For the Jas Download I'm lucky if I can connect to five peers. Usually it's just 2 or three. And looking at the stats, I've uploaded more than I've download, and the upload speed is greater than the download!

I'll check Azerous, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

i read the totally of this topic...

I HAVE A QUESTION

YOU REALLY RECOMMEND TO BUY THE 965P-DS3 MOTHERBOARD????

i'm going to buy a new mobo, and this one is a possibility....

THIS MOBO IS 100% COMPATIBLE WITH OSX?

i have the JAS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 WITH PPF1&PPF2 ISO, and i use with a E-4300 CORE 2 DUO.

finally...THIS MOBO IS FULLY COMPATIBLE ON IDE DRIVES/LAN/AUDIO???

thanks for the answers.--

Enema, This motherboard works very well with OSX86.

My JAS 10.4.8 w SSE2/SSE3 with PPF1 and PPF2 install worked great.

After installation I had to edit 3 lines in the LAN device's Info.plist and installed a Audio Driver package (both described earlier in this thread) - very easy - this will take you all of 10 minutes to due including reboot time. The IDE worked without any patching.

I will warn you, to get reasonable HDD speeds in OS X you will have to enabled SATA AHCI in the BIOS which causes problems installing Windows XP.

This is an EXCELLENT motherboard to buy if:

1) you are ONLY going to be running OS X

2) dual booting OS X with Vista

3) dual booting OS X with Windows XP AND have a floppy drive hooked up to the computer (and currently have the ability to write to a floppy disk)

Hope this helps.

i read the totally of this topic...I HAVE A QUESTIONYOU REALLY RECOMMEND TO BUY THE 965P-DS3 MOTHERBOARD????i'm going to buy a new mobo, and this one is a possibility....THIS MOBO IS 100% COMPATIBLE WITH OSX?i have the JAS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 WITH PPF1&PPF2 ISO, and i use with a E-4300 CORE 2 DUO.finally...THIS MOBO IS FULLY COMPATIBLE ON IDE DRIVES/LAN/AUDIO???thanks for the answers.--

I would like to explain how I was able to dual boot OSX86 with WindowsXP on the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard.

** NOTE: devilhood posted similiar content on Page 9 of this thread - he also includes a link to the updated drivers ***

I wanted to dual boot OSX86 and WindowsXP and ran into some serious problems getting both to run on my GA-965P-DS3. The following is how I finally got everything working.

In order to achieve reasonable Hard Disk speeds in OSX you must enable SATA AHCI in the BIOS. (with SATA ACHI disabled I was getting 3-5 MB/s HDD access speeds, with it enabled I am getting 30-40 MB/s HDD access speeds). After enabled SATA AHCI, installing WindowsXP suddenly become a giant pain. (WindowsXP installed in with SATA AHCI disabled will not boot when SATA AHCI is enabled and vice versa).

In order to install WindowsXP in SATA AHCI mode you must supply the correct drivers for the ICH8 chipset to run in SATA AHCI mode. Unfortunately the Intel supplied drivers do not work for this.

The original solution was documented on kerneltrap.org (http://kerneltrap.org/node/7582) and explained more concisely on sniping.org (sniping.org ). I suggest your read through both.

The following paraphrases what you must do.

Use Intel's floppy disk creation tool (link on sniping.org) and then copy the two new files (iaahci.inf, txtsetup.oem, also links on sniping.org) onto the floppy. Enable SATA ACHI in the BIOS, boot of your WindowsXP CD, hit F6 during the loading process and supply the drivers on the floppy to the Windows Installer (use the ICH8 ACHI Drivers). During the WindowsXP install you may receive warnings that unsafe drivers are being used - ignore them and continue.

Note, if you have an existing WindowsXP install you MAY be able to:

1) Boot into your WindowsXP with SATA AHCI disabled and in IDE mode.

2) Update your "Ide/atapi controllers > 82801hb sata ahci controller" drivers using the drivers on the floppy disk created above. (you maybe be able to use this package (or the drives supplied by devilhood on Page 9 of this thread) if you dont have a floppy disk, though i have not tried this -- dont forget to use the updated iaachi.inf and textsetup.oem)

3) Reboot

4) In the BIOS change enabled SATA AHCI and change the SATA Controller mode to AHCI.

5) You should now be able to boot into WindowsXP.(I have not verified this method -- read over the comments on kerneltap and sniping.org for more details).

Hope this helps all you dual booters out there.

i read the totally of this topic...

I HAVE A QUESTION

YOU REALLY RECOMMEND TO BUY THE 965P-DS3 MOTHERBOARD????

i'm going to buy a new mobo, and this one is a possibility....

THIS MOBO IS 100% COMPATIBLE WITH OSX?

i have the JAS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 WITH PPF1&PPF2 ISO, and i use with a E-4300 CORE 2 DUO.

finally...THIS MOBO IS FULLY COMPATIBLE ON IDE DRIVES/LAN/AUDIO???

thanks for the answers.--

My name is Conroe Mac and I recommend this board. You know, when I was a younger man (about a year ago) people told me I was a fool for trying to get OS X working on the 965P-DS3. They're probably right about me being a fool, but I did manage to get OS X running perfectly (as a hackintosh can expect that is). If you have the time and patience, 98% of the work has already been done by the industrious people of this forum. The next time you boot up your computer, think to yourself, "Wouldn't it be nice if this was a Mac?" If you answered yes, then you should try the Gigabyte 965p-ds3. I'm Conroe Mac and I endorse this message.

Individual user experience vary. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Thinking may be required. Please refrain from shouting while asking questions.

Gee, has anyone tried to dual-boot this board? It says on the box it is 64bit compatable but everytime I try to install a 64bit installation of Vista, I get stuck wih the install drivers screen. I can never seem to get it to read any of the drivers that came with the board so I am at a lost as to how to install windows with this thing. OSX works great though thanks to the tutorial.

I'm sorry if this is a n00b kinda question but I swear I looked a lot of places to find the answer. What custom packages need to be installed with this board, if any, during the install? I swear I found a place once that told me but I must have lost it.

Hey all! New member here. I've got a problem that I'm having during the middle of the install process, and I haven't actually seen anyone else describe it, although I haven't looked everywhere. I apologize if this has already been addressed, though.

I have the GA-965P-DS3, with a SATA HD (Western Digital 120GB; possibly useless info)

I setup all the required BIOS settings..

I'm trying to install 10.4.8 JaS

The author mentions you MUST have a SATA adapter for your IDE DVD drive, but I was able to boot with an IDE and have it read the install DVD just fine; all the way up to the middle of copying the installation files (Essentials Package).

When it gets to copying the 'Essentials', I basically get "Install Error, Restart", or something like that. Now, I was able to use the SAME DVD, and install it on an older machine, and it had no problem at all.. Infact, after I did the first step of the install, I put the harddrive back in my own machine and it worked fine. However, I'm reinstalling it and I don't have access to that older machine anymore.

I tried a couple different DVD copies, same problem.. My machine has never had problems reading this particular brand of DVD disk before, so I'm at a loss here. Obviously, the setup boots, starts installing, etc.. What would be failing in this case? Just some crazy problem with my DVD or something?

Great thread.. And great work so far guys. This is a community just bursting with people that are incredibly helpful.

Thanks for your time

<edit>

I put in another DVD drive, and it installs -- But now once I start booting into the OS, it never gets past the gray bootup screen (Crossed out overlay; Kind of an opaque overlay; Very unapple-like) .. Any ideas?

Also -- This particular DVD has installed just fine on this system before, so no CLUE how I'm getting this now.. Maybe it's a package I selected? I did select the Titan NVIDIA Driver. I do have an NVIDIA card as well, but I believe its far newer (8800GTS) than this driver. That is the one piece of hardware that has changed in my system.

</edit>

i've installed uphuck 1.2 10.4.9 on my ga965G - ds3 succes!!! dvd was on ata, wd hdd on purple and another hdd on yellow. this MB has onboard intel x3000 graphics(got nvidia 7600gs 512 need to flash bios,so i didn't try). BIOS was in IDE NOT AHCI, but DVD was recognised as SATA, HDD on yellow AS ATA, and purple SATA(INSTALLED ON THIS ONE). Stereo audio, LAN, USB no patch. X3000 just 1024x768, no QE. I've a problem USB doesn't recognize my SAGEM USB ADSL? PLEASE HELP!!

I put in another DVD drive, and it installs -- But now once I start booting into the OS, it never gets past the gray bootup screen (Crossed out overlay; Kind of an opaque overlay; Very unapple-like) .. Any ideas?

First - the problem you were having with the install is most likely an incompatibility of the burned DVD with that drive or the burn rate or just a flakey disc. It just means that the disk couldn't be read.

Next, you should boot with the -V option, then you'll probably see that it's not booting because you've got the dreaded "Waiting for Root device"

Personally, I've only been able to consistently use the purple controller for my HDs and the yellow/orange one in Legacy IDE mode. I hope to figure out another way, but right now, that's what's working for me.

Patrick

Well, I'm booted into the OS, but everythings now rotated 90 degrees ;) .. The video driver fails to load on my 8800GTS (Can't boot), but when I put my 6600GT in, it's all rotated. Using the Titan drivers of course. Crazy stuff!

It's also listing my resolutions in this format:

1200x1920

768x1024

.. etc, they're reversed

Anyone know the solution to this?

If you're referring to the driver it loads when you uncheck Titan, then it basically just locks the screenbuffer when its supposed to load the desktop. So I guess that means it didn't load the video driver successfully in that case. My guess is I should just try another video adapter. This is some Gigabyte 6600GT..

If theres actually another driver I can load in somehow after the initial setup, then I'd like to know how to do that.