[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

[edit] scratch this post. trying to d/l jmicron patch to have a go...

Hi folks, I tried booting jas 10.4.8 sse3 dvd though a usb dvd drive. the booting process hangs after it detects the gfx card (using a gf 7600gs). it says "still waiting for root device". i've done the config changes in the bios as instructed in the thread. anything else i'm missing?

Edited by boink2k

I'm having trouble installing the reseed of JaS 10.4.8 with the following hardware:
  • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
  • E6400 Core 2 Duo
  • 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM
  • Radeon X1900XT 512 MB PCIE
  • WD Raptor 10,000RPM HD
  • LG EIDE DVD-ROM

I was able to boot up from my IDE DVD using thedguy's patch, but the computer stops responding during the install when it gets to "preparing installation". I've tried switching my HD from the orange to the purple ports with no effect and playing with the SATA options in the BIOS, no combination seems to work. The HD has three partitions on it. 2 of the 3 are empty and 1 is blank formatted for OSX w/ journaling. In the installer I've selected the ICH8 Patch and the ATI pcie card patch as well as several other combinations with no luck.

I'd appreciate any ideas anyone with a bit more experience than myself may have.

Thanks

I was able to get the install working by setting the paramter cpus=1 at startup. That fixed the random crashing I was experiencing. Also, now that my install is working, I need to boot with cpus=1 every time or else a black window comes up telling me to reboot. My cpu is detected as 1 CPU at 4 GHz in the system profiler. I wonder if I'm getting a performace hit from this and if anyone else has run into this problem.

I've got a number of other things up and running (i.e. IDE, Purple Ports, clock not keeping time, reboot crash) and the only two things left I'd really like to get working are a microphone input and my ATI x1900xtx. I've installed pion's patch to get the sound output working, but I don't know if anything can be done about the microphone. For the graphics card I've tried installing dm_webd's natit, but I only get a black screen at boot (the monitor goes into power save mode).

Thanks

Hi folks,

I've patched the 10.4.8 ISO with JMICRON patch. However, during bootup (I used the -v option to view the logs), there are 2 lines saying still waiting for root device, but after that, it was able to locate the boot device.

However, it got stuck there. There was continuously the error message "found a transaction past completion at bus xx, timing out".

Any idea what I missed out?

BTW, I'm booting off a USB-DVDROM. Using a GeForce 7600GS, Core2Duo 6300, 1GB RAM, 250GB SATA HDD; connected to the orange port.

Thanks.

The new DVD booted natively without any weird hacks to get it to boot because of device issues.

I'm on a DQ6 though.

Everything is working for me, DVD reading/writing (which is an IDE device), and all of my HDD's are SATA as well, so the controller is correctly addressed.

I'm still trying to get my sound working though. I have AdiumX and VirtueDesktops installed running fine along with Growl and Synergy iTunes controller.

Newsfire worked as well.

Umm, that's all I got right now, besides XSlimmer and Monolingual working perfectly as well.

Thanks

I mean my old JAS is working, but i have still little problems.

My m-audio audiophile is a little bit buggy, also missing sync not work.

The system got very little hangs, sometimes.

So i maybe try the new DVD.

Hi,

yesterday i installed OSX 10.4.8 with additional pion package for audio support.

It wroks great!

One Problem is left.

If go to sleep mode the board does not shutdown the coolers. I think it goes to S1 not to S3.

If i define the Powermanagement mode S3 the board beeps an i have to pull the power coard out.

My Bios Version is F6.

Has anybody the same problems?

riscpower

hi

first sorry if my english would be bad

finally i managed to install osx, 10.4.8 amd (that's all what i know from the torrent and iso file, and it has the titan drivers built in). I tried to fix the audio as written on the first page, but there is no AppleAzaliaAudio.kext . Is it related to the particular install dvd (probably to amd cpus, but i was able to get this one only) or did i screw something? If i copy the file from 10.4.8 jas iso (which couldn't boot up, btw), would it work? dont want to reinstall the whole thing...

thx

alex

@ tuareg, look for pions package !

I tried the new JAS.

Hmm, took me some hours.

First installed sytem over purple port with AHCI enabled.

only installed Packages for intel, loginwindow, and atix1000.

Did not work on Yellow ports, with Native mode enabeld he did not found a HD, with native disaled he only could manage 128GB.

After sucesfull install i installed ich8 support from pions package.

Then i switched to yellow port, set bios to native, and ide instead of ahci (not needed anymore).

It works but i got DISKARB ERRORS

Anybody else got this with the new JAS???

Hello All,

I got a Ds3 and c2d just a few weeks ago for Christmas. It's great and overclocks like a champ. Windows flies, but I miss osx86 so I have tried several different installs all without any luck. Last one I tried was the 10.4.8 reseed along with the Jmicron Patch. Burned with 4x speed and installed without a hitch. The problem I have is that my sata pioneer dvdrw is not recognized. I need this to apply pion's patch and get everything else working rite? Networking is a no-go even with the optional .99c nic i got working with 10.4.3-10.4.7 from fry's. I have read that i need to replace this with an earlier version of IONETWORKING but without cd-rom access... arghh! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a step somewhere I missed? Thanks in advance...

bdo

DS3 Bios F10

1. Enhance FSB frequency flexibility

2. Fix OC für Allendale CPUen

3. Micron D9 1000 MHz 4-4-4-12 2.2V

3. Micron D9 1100 MHz 5-5-5-15 2.3V

3. Micron D9 1200 MHz 5-8-8-20 2.35V

4. Fix Kaltstart (cold start)

5. Fix Vdrop in C1E Funktion

6. Neues Features ´High Speed DRAM DLL Setting´

7. Intel® HPET Support

8. FSB 1333 MHz support (Auto ab Rev.3.3)

9. JMicron ROM update

10. BIOS Profilspeicherung möglich (Profile storage)

11. Q-Flash jetzt mit USB-Stick möglich (flash now with USB-stick)

Hello All,

I got a Ds3 and c2d just a few weeks ago for Christmas. It's great and overclocks like a champ. Windows flies, but I miss osx86 so I have tried several different installs all without any luck. Last one I tried was the 10.4.8 reseed along with the Jmicron Patch. Burned with 4x speed and installed without a hitch. The problem I have is that my sata pioneer dvdrw is not recognized. I need this to apply pion's patch and get everything else working rite? Networking is a no-go even with the optional .99c nic i got working with 10.4.3-10.4.7 from fry's. I have read that i need to replace this with an earlier version of IONETWORKING but without cd-rom access... arghh! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a step somewhere I missed? Thanks in advance...

bdo

I heard that only the two first sata (ich8-orange) port work. I also read about a new version of JaS osx 10.4.8 but I didnt try it since my reseed is working fine. I am sorry that I cant tell you much about the sata dvd since I use an ide. Pion's patch will fix networking. Read around and you might find a lot of answers to your questions. I hope this helps. Try here as well http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6858&st=460

my bad this is not a SATA dvdrw it is PATA i mistyped. Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah I am connected to the top Orange SATA ports with my HDD which is a raptor. I have tried all of the scripts from the first page with no luck. When i try to modify AppleVIAATA i get stuck @ changing chown && chmod it says something to the effect of it not being able to modify. Then i restart and it says that VIAATA was installed improperly. Maybe i mistyped. I copied the text to msword and printed it out without the red highlighted, so I just looked for any differences and changed it out. Guess this was a bad idea. I'm gonna reinstall and reprint this out with the red text. Question: on the first part it states to add the vendor id & on the last part it says to change the vendor id. Is this right? As in do I keep all of the 0xXXXXXXXX strings prior and after the red text on the first part and completely change the next part? Sorry for the broken English I am a flu stricken fool rite now ;P

Also, does the JMicron Patch only work for the 10.4.8 reseed? I have tried to apply it to 10.4.7 and the new 10.4.8 sse2/sse3 with no luck.

Thanks for the link also, will check it out now........

bdo

Edited by unityemissions

I'm up and running!!!

Took a while, but my sick ass figured it out. very dumb lil error. the directions for changing permissions are incorrect. I fixed it by splitting it up one line for chown & another for chmod. Don't use -R for chmod and use 755 instead of 0755. Then i installed pion's patch for networking and audio. Audio worked rite away, but I still had to replace a string in AppleYukon for the networking to work. Very zippy with C2D and tha Raptor. Now to d/l a newsreader and get some h264 1080p files running :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks to all who are involved in this project and of course JAS

peace

bdo

edited:

i used this mobo and JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only but couldn't get booted from the dvd. i then used JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Int el.SSE2.SSE3 with v1p ppf and it installed fine. (some things aren't recognized, so now i'm trying to work them out)

Edited by forkies

For those of you dual booting OSx86 and XP/Linux on a DS3 motherboard, I did a write-up on how to enable booting from the ICH8 SATA controller when Sata Ctrl mode is set to IDE. This will not fix the initial install and must be done after the initial installation. So for initial install, set SATA Ctrl mode to AHCI.

The post can be found here.

It is relevant for all ICH8 chipsets. The Biostar P965PT motherboard does not support booting into Windows when the Sata Ctrl mode is set to AHCI and I got sick of having to go into the BIOS and change to AHCI mode just to boot into OS X.

Hopefully this will be useful to some of you.

Edited by jeenam

Hello,

i have a DS4 with the following configuration. Actually i have 3 SATAII-Drives an the Intel-Raid Controller, two Hitachi 7TK250 are controlled by the Intel-Controller in a raid0.

The other Drive is just Stand-Alone.

I have the Version 10.4.8 JaS and i have a 80 GB Seagate IDE Drive. When i start the setup the DVD-ROM is detected and also the Seagate. I can start the Installation and all seams right but when i do the restart, a ACPI-Error is shown on the screen.

Can i activate the Gigabyte-Controller, put my third SATAII-Drive to this Controller and make the settings shown on Page1 to get the Mac OS X installed?

Thx, Kind Regards, BoLzI

For those of you dual booting OSx86 and XP/Linux on a DS3 motherboard, I did a write-up on how to enable booting from the ICH8 SATA controller when Sata Ctrl mode is set to IDE. This will not fix the initial install and must be done after the initial installation. So for initial install, set SATA Ctrl mode to AHCI.

The post can be found here.

It is relevant for all ICH8 chipsets. The Biostar P965PT motherboard does not support booting into Windows when the Sata Ctrl mode is set to AHCI and I got sick of having to go into the BIOS and change to AHCI mode just to boot into OS X.

Hopefully this will be useful to some of you.

Why go through all this if you can simply install it and use it? The instructions on the first page are long unnecessary. I have OSX in one sata hd and Windows on another and just select the hd by pressing f12 during the bios initialization. On another computer I have a boot loader. Besides you are using a different motherboard, i just dont see the point.

Some folks may not have a spare hard drive to load separate OS's onto. If this is the case, Windows won't boot when SATA Ctrl mode is set to AHCI. Linux supports AHCI as of recent kernels (2.6.18+) but you must compile the support in.

Also, the vendor and device ID for ICH8 controllers is the same regardless of which motherboard you use.

It's just a fix for persons in the same boat as myself. If it doesn't apply to you, that's cool. Not everyone has a dual hard drive configuration. Besides, who wants to run OSx86 off a slow 7200 RPM HD when you can load all your OS's onto a nice 10k RPM raptor =)

Some folks may not have a spare hard drive to load separate OS's onto. If this is the case, Windows won't boot when SATA Ctrl mode is set to AHCI. Linux supports AHCI as of recent kernels (2.6.18+) but you must compile the support in.

Also, the vendor and device ID for ICH8 controllers is the same regardless of which motherboard you use.

It's just a fix for persons in the same boat as myself. If it doesn't apply to you, that's cool. Not everyone has a dual hard drive configuration. Besides, who wants to run OSx86 off a slow 7200 RPM HD when you can load all your OS's onto a nice 10k RPM raptor =)

I just dont understand the need for AHCI at this point. There is no longer, and its been a while, a need for that; one can simply use ide for you dvd rom and connect your SATA to the ICH8 (orange ports). The AHCI is related to the jmicron (purple ports), and this was a step we took when the ICH8 was not working. That was a step we were using back in september with 10.4.7, the latest 10.4.8 doesnt need it anymore, and btw we were running windows with the AHCI mode on back then.

Edited by jp266one

Hi guys,

I have'nt tried to install 10.4.8 Jas distro yet. I completed the download today. I have a little question before i try a tripple boot system tonight.

My hardware:

e6300 @ 3.2ghz

2 gb ram

Seagate 320 HDD

x1950xt Connect 3D

Onboard DS3 sound - for mic use in Win XP

Creative xtremegamer - for EAX stuff.

In suse 10.3 it auto configs the onboard sound card as the default sound. Im happy with that as i just take the jack out of the creative card into the onboard port. Will Os X do the same? or am I gonna have a real headache having to soundcards active?

EDIT:

Installation

Follow your favorite install guide until you get to the point where you chose your packages.

The Packages you'll want are:

kernel choice is yours, use 1 or the other. Semthex seems to get better support on IRC.

JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg

10.4.8.azalia.audio.pkg

JaS.10.4.8.VIA.ULi.SATA.support

Are these on the jas 10.4.8 disk or do i have to aquire them elsewhere?

Many thanks for reading & hope you can help, Oxy

Edited by Oxymoron

Hi,

I have a problem. I install the JaS 10.4.8 re-seed, it reboots, loads the mac apple grey sceen, then the screen breaks up. I dont get to the mac account bit.

I also dont seem to find the packages u list when installing:

JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg

10.4.8.azalia.audio.pkg

JaS.10.4.8.VIA.ULi.SATA.support

Does Os X 86 not lke my x1950xt Connect 3D card?

Can anone help me please?

Oxy