Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

i'm still having some artifacts here, mostly around the 'resize window' cursor as well as window shadows. not to mention pink icons. maybe there's a way to fix the mtrr PAT instead of bypassing it.

as an aside, i looked a bit into iCloud and got a log for the error packets.

About the iCloud: great! 

About the artifacts: ATI or nVidia? By the way, you could include a HW signature to your profile when you have time, of course :)

All the best!

i'm still having some artifacts here, mostly around the 'resize window' cursor as well as window shadows. not to mention pink icons. maybe there's a way to fix the mtrr PAT instead of bypassing it.

Some info on the memory type range register and page attribute table (MTRR+PAT)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_type_range_register

@anv, @bronya

remove the section about UNCACHEABLE, it seems to break things, just treat AMD the same as intel. no more pink icons here..

well, performance is still a bit slow, maybe the lack of PAT ... i bench and get more than GT 620 but less than 650M with my 460.  35 fps with 460. (Cinebench)

• Like 4

@anv, @bronya

remove the section about UNCACHEABLE, it seems to break things, just treat AMD the same as intel. no more pink icons here..

well, performance is still a bit slow, maybe the lack of PAT ... i bench and get more than GT 620 but less than 650M with my 460. 35 fps with 460. (Cinebench)

Ok will do.

How about the amd mtrr init?

Is it usefull for something?

@anv, @bronya

well, performance is still a bit slow, maybe the lack of PAT ... i bench and get more than GT 620 but less than 650M with my 460.  35 fps with 460. (Cinebench)

Wait… so how do I get rid of the pink icons?  LOL 

Actually yes, I also am getting artifacts just like you are.  Around file names, in Dock and Launchpad:

post-513502-0-61785500-1384028003.pngpost-513502-0-75973900-1384028019.png

post-513502-0-32989700-1384028060_thumb.png

Also, I'd once gotten an opemu panic when playing a 3-D game, but I only saw it in the background as if it was covered by the rendered desktop. I'll keep trying and see if I can get a picture of it (it doesn't crop up -I guess too often). 

All in all though, not too many hiccups. 

As an aside, it sure is pretty cool to use the dictation software to write these posts... Very cool indeed!!!

• Like 1

no, useless

@ADHD just wait around for AnV's next kernel

Ok mod done.

Building kernel now...

EDIT: Done... REL2 with Sinetek's suggested change is done...

Test it please and report back... :D

Source diff is also included in the pack... (as well as PM kext and System.kext needed for PM kext).

AMD_Kernel_And_PM_REL2.zip

• Like 3

Ok mod done.

Building kernel now...

Source diff is also included in the pack... (as well as PM kext and System.kext needed for PM kext).

No changes here. Still have pink Launchpad and the names bug.

Some more PAT info

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_attribute_table

Seems it is the successor to MTRR as it allows per page setting of the MTRR modes.

And AMD specific manual

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/24593_APM_v2.pdf

Also contains PAT info (from bottom of page 245 and onward)

…just wanted to emphasize though how awesome this is, and how well so many other things are working.  With the previous kernel, right now I'm enjoying 10.9 with working iCloud services (no iMessages or FaceTime though), working AppStore, working graphics with super minimal corruption, and so many other things I had started to think would never be possible.  Hardware listed in my sig.  

Thanks again to all of you who make this stuff happen, I just wish I had more knowledge to contribute!  Gonna add my rig *again* to the list of working builds, this time for Mavericks!  

• Like 2

I don't feel like that was a support question, it's really related to the kernel because of the fact that I was reading the kernel plays nicer with Clover than with Chameleon.  I was simply wondering what the benefits were in relation the kernel specifically.  I also said if my post needed to be moved that I had no problem with that.  Thanks. 

There's a thumb rule that will help you not to confuse things: if you want to describe how a kernel works (or doesn't) or have an idea that could make the kernel work better for everyone, you post here. If you want to ask how to make it work or work better for you, you post in the Help Topic.

Since you say you're cool with the posts being moved - and since it's not an usual behavior of yours - I think there's really no issue here. Posts moved, end of the story. But let's to pay attention to the thumb rule, because this only worsens the topic's info-to-noise ratio for the debs point of view. And quite frankly - and it must be clear i'm not talking about you right now  - some people should show some respect if they are to reap the community's efforts: it's not like there's no warning about here not being a support topic. Or else, I simply cannot recommend AMD OSX86, a tricky endeavor, to people that are apparently incapable of reading. I'll delete your latest post, since i'm quoting it.

All the best!

• Like 3

There's a thumb rule that will help you not to confuse things: if you want to describe how a kernel works (or doesn't) or have an idea that could make the kernel work better for everyone, you post here. If you want to ask how to make it work or work better for you, you post in the Help Topic.

Since you say you're cool with the posts being moving - and since it's not an usual behavior of yours - I think there's really no issue here. Posts moved, end of the story. But let's to pay attention to the thumb rule, because this only worsens the topic's info-to-noise ratio for the debs point of view. And quite frankly - to stress, not about your moved posts - some people show some respect if they are to reap the community's efforts: it's not like there's no warning about here not being a support topic. Or else, I simply cannot recommend AMD OSX86, a tricky endeavor, to people that are apparently incapable of reading. I'll delete your latest post, since i'm quoting it.

All the best!

Gotcha!  Never an issue in my corner guys.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

Awesome, cool  Sinetek ! :)))

Interested !

Thank for mtrr.c :)

I created mach_kernel_rc7 !!! Soon full.diff !

It is working with chameleon , i tested ! :)

Soon for ML 10.8 and Lion ! :)

Updated , i CASUAL DELETE "HASWEL" =)))

attachicon.gifmach_rc7_10_9.zip

AWESOME!!!

Ok mod done.

Building kernel now...

Brilliant work! 

Does it support  Phenom II x4 955?