[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

tseug

201 posts in this topic

Overall much better install than tonymac. For an oldish motherboard (GA-P55-UDA4P) the USB drive needs to be set to Master Boot record. Otherwise the PC gets locked at the POST screen. Slight omission from guide.

Still cannot get TOSLINK (SPDIF) audio out working. Not a huge deal since my upcoming hackintosh (new GA-77 something or other, CPU, ram) will be here Friday and usb soundsticks will be the audio out but it would be nice to have toslink working in order to use the home theater speakers if the urge strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

[EDIT] i've succeeded thanks to me, my self and some iHackers ...

Hi,

I've tried this method but without success. In verbose mode last thing I see is "Legacy USB Off done" the screen goes black and computer resets.

Same computer runs 10.7.5 in full 64 bit mode without a glitch. Different boot flags make no difference. I've copied DSDT and SMBIOS from this working machine.

Please help!

Thank you so much for this guide!

I am using an ASUS P6T SE and I got everything working instantly without any post-Installation hassle.

If you are using this guide for your installation and you have an Asus P6T SE then you can just download my "Extra.zip" (Attached) and just replace the folder /Extra/ from the downloaded "install.zip" in this guide and you won't have to worrry about anything.

Thanks again

Best

Dave

Extra.zip

oh well stuck at step one, I just can't log into the Mac App Store, got unknown error, no matter how many times I've deleted its pref files or quit/relaunch the app store :(

ok, fixed my issue by deleting in mac hd libr

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

then reboot

Was able to successfully install Mountain Lion via this very tutorial, just had to had the <key>PciRoot</key> <string>1</string> for my 9800GT in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

I also successfully updated to 10.8.2, so far everything works

Congrats to Tseug and many thanks for his work :)

Pro Tip: Make sure you remove or upgrade any older version of Chameleon on your disk(s). Even if you're booting off of USB, the Chameleon install on your HDD can interfere with the version being used with this install.

No matter what I did, the created installer disk would reboot the system after loading all of its files and attempting to start Darwin. (Several pages worth of loading drivers, then an instant reboot. See attached image below for the last message before the reboot.)

The issue was resolved by running the latest (2.1-r2069) Chameleon installer on my existing partitions.

Also, this was using the latest (10.8.2) install image from Apple (just downloaded it last night).

Just thought I'd mention this in case it saves anyone else some grief.

My system:

• GA-P35-DS4 v2.1
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

XcQBQ.png

hello, i followed this tutorial and i made a bootable USB stick but when i try to boot from it it is just loading some stuf for a while then screen goes black and reboot. I have tried different falgs but no luck. If i try verbose mode i can see nothing because it is so fast i can not read anything..

---edit---

this is what i see

IMG.png

Great guide BTW, I used the Lion version of this and it installed perfectly, the ML appeared to work perfectly as well; however.....

Following the guide it all installs fine though after about 20secs I get a KP with the error being CPU1 has no HPET assigned. Now I've looked back through the thread and I can not see anyone else having these problems.

I am letting the script create the DSDT so it is 'unmodified', the bios has hpet set to 64bit and ahci etc. so I'm not sure what I am missing here?

(GA-P35-DS3R, Q6660, 8800GT, 60GB Vertex)

Just wanted to chime in and say that after some hard drive issues I made a new USB stick using a fresh download of Mountain Lion from the App Store (bought and paid for legally). I didn't realize it at the time but it was 10.8.2. It installed with 0 issues. Apparently if you want a fresh copy of the latest version of Mountain Lion just delete whatever install you currently have from your Applications folder, download the latest version from the app store and then run the mkboot command on the USB stick in the original post. My specs are:

GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA775

8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series

ATI Radeon HD 5870

2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Sound is not working but I think I have a kext to take care of that somewhere on my backup.

Hey Guys,

What am i missing here. I can boot from my hard disk as long as i have the USB stick in, after that i can remove it.

without the usb stick in when i try to boot from the hard disk I just see a bunch of text flying through my screen and then the computer will go through the POST again.

thanks

Updated to 10.8.2 but then the GFX (NVidia GT520) again stopped working.

By just adding

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

to /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100HAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist all is just going fine again.

FULL hardware acceleration ,sleep working flawlessly, just beautiful.

Thanks again tseug!

If my computer does not use a Gigabyte board, do I still need to run patcher.rb?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 with a H57 chipset, nVidia hi-def audio and nVidia GeForce 210 video. Looking at the code for patcher.rb it seems like it's specific to your original setup, and for me finalize fails when it tries to run patcher.rb.

So can I just comment out the patcher.rb section of finalize - what do you think?

If my computer does not use a Gigabyte board, do I still need to run patcher.rb?

My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 with a H57 chipset, nVidia hi-def audio and nVidia GeForce 210 video. Looking at the code for patcher.rb it seems like it's specific to your original setup, and for me finalize fails when it tries to run patcher.rb.

So can I just comment out the patcher.rb section of finalize - what do you think?

You need to add a DSDT specific to your board before running mkboot. Even with that you might have issues with at least sound.

So I usually do a Chameleon install to a USB stick which the computer boots first then choose a hard-drive/Operating-system from there . . .

I have had lots of issues getting my computer to sleep with this configuration; and some posts I have looked at blame the USB Legacy Detect Mode in BIOS to cause havoc when it comes to sleep.

So; I decided to try and simply run the computer with the .finalize only on the OSX hard-drive, (before I also did ./finalize to the USB stick; then deleted the extra folder and boot from the Hard drive, since I was booting chameleon from the USB stick). The trouble I am having now is that I cannot for the life of me, get the computer to boot into graphics mode with the apple boot logo. I have tried many suggested edits in my org.chameleon.boot.plist, to no avail. What am I missing?

here is what my org.chameleon.Boot.plist entries look like:

<key>Boot Graphics<key>

<string>Yes<string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v darkwake=0</string>

After looking at the code of the files in the install.zip I decided to just give it a try, even though I'm not using a Gigabyte board. My system is a Dell Inspiron 520 and I've had a build by Niresh12495 running on it, but I kept getting random KPs as well as some issues with the video. So I just created a new Mac partition and followed this guide.

I made a .dmg of my Mountain Lion DVD to use - I realized later that I didn't need to do that, and I had to hack mkboot to help it find the .dmg, but after that it ran and created the boot USB. I booted to the USB drive and installed ML 10.8 on the new Mac partition. Then I restarted, booted into the USB drive, and ran finalize. It copied Chameleon and some other files but failed at patcher.rb - specifically in def patch_gige. But I knew that it was near the end of the patcher.rb code, so I decided to just boot into the new installation, and EVERYTHING STARTED NORMALLY (QE/CI !) :thumbsup_anim: except the NIC and sound. I was especially happy to see the transparent menu bar - the new installation correctly identified my nVidia GeForce 210, and the menu bar, Launchpad and Safari all worked normally (in the previous Niresh12495 installation, my video card was never properly identified and reported 2GB RAM when the card only has 1GB. Read my link above if you're interested in the other video issues I was having).

I knew that my system has a Broadcom NIC and installed BCM5722D.kext which got networking running. I installed VoodooHDA which got sound working, but I was getting random KPs until I found this guide - following a few tips gave me sound and seems to have made my system stable.

So thanks for this guide. I was wondering if I should have just removed the reference to patcher.rb from finalize, but things are working well even with it having partially run.

I've been playing with Mac on PCs for a couple of years now and this is the easiest, simplest and most effective guide I've used yet! :)

Hello,

First of all, here's my system:

i7 930 @ 4ghz

12GB DDR3-1600

GTX 680 2gb

Asus Rampage III Extreme (Bios 1502)

Seagate 500gb 7200.11 on onboard Intel SATA Controller, AHCI mode

8GB USB Flash Drive for installation

Snow Leopard install on VMWare for prepping bootable USB.

I've checked out numerous guides on how to install Mountain Lion on my PC (vanilla and myHack, don't want to try ###### type methods yet), but none of them get me to the install screen. They all fail a few seconds after the initial boot options screen with the error "Errors encountered while starting up the computer", after which it reboots in 5 seconds. I've tried -x, -s, -v, PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes, which don't seem to matter.

Any ideas? I don't seem to be making ANY progress. Will try this guide later today..

Thanks!

EDIT: The last kext that loads prior to it displaying that error is "TMSafetyNet.kext".

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it on my P35-DS4 and everything worked together with a OOB working 6870 :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Tseug!

Can you also tell what options you have in your bios??

I did a restore with timemachine with my Lion backups and everything went in place. I saw that no org.chameleon.Boot.plist was found in Chameleon Wizard so I created one and chose 'boot0' and after that 'boot0md' beacause I have windows7 install on another disk.

So this morning I tried to log on, I receive the choices of chameleon and when I choose 'Mountain Lion' it runs in verbose and it stops and reboot endlessly.

What has caused this and how can I resolve it please?

EDIT: Ok, now I changed some bios options to this and it stops after the last line in screenshot.

Sata RAID/AHCI mode -> Disabled

Sata Port0-3 Native mode -> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Device -> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl Mode -> IDE

HPET Support -> Enabled

HPET Mode -> 64-bit mode

20121202094745.jpg

EDIT: Ok, I found what it was. I needed to change bios options to this

Sata RAID/AHCI mode -> AHCI

Sata Port0-3 Native mode -> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Device -> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl Mode -> IDE

Now everything is working again. Just that I don't have dual screen on my 6870 in Mountain Lion but it works when I'm in the install menu with my usb key.

• Like 1