[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

tseug

201 posts in this topic

My boot drive makes perfectly but when I actually try to boot it, it shows the white screen with scrolling text, goes for a while then reboots. I have tried to use my own cutom dsdt as well as have it make one for me. It still reboots when trying to boot to it. Only thing I could figure is my graphics? I have a p35-ds4, qx6850 quad extreme, ati 6870 msi addition twin froze, crucial m4 ssd, 6 gb crucial ddr2. I didn't have a spare flash so I just used an empty sata drive (thats how i made my lion one without issue) I am currently 10.7.2 and have been with this guide since early SL. Any ideas on anything I can try? Thank you so much in advance

My boot drive makes perfectly but when I actually try to boot it, it shows the white screen with scrolling text, goes for a while then reboots. I have tried to use my own cutom dsdt as well as have it make one for me. It still reboots when trying to boot to it. Only thing I could figure is my graphics? I have a p35-ds4, qx6850 quad extreme, ati 6870 msi addition twin froze, crucial m4 ssd, 6 gb crucial ddr2. I didn't have a spare flash so I just used an empty sata drive (thats how i made my lion one without issue) I am currently 10.7.2 and have been with this guide since early SL. Any ideas on anything I can try? Thank you so much in advance

You could try replacing AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext with ATIRadeonX3000.kext from the install pack. Or keeping them both migth also work. Or editing the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext Info.plist with your device ID. Unfortunately, they did some work there so it's a little difficult to get working.

Just guessing here but I'm pretty sure you're right that it's a graphics issue.

Hey I feel like a moron, I was booting from my lion partition and thats why it was rebooting (guessing it was an older boot loader). Anyway I am now typing this on mlion and graphics and everything is GREAT!

My only problem is audio. I have tried to understand the readme and cant make any sense of it. I am sorry I am just a noob at this. Under system report-audio-intel high defintion audio- it says the audio id is 885. Is there anyway you could put it in more simple terms of how to get audio? I have never edited a dsdt or patched any kexts. Thank you for all your help and great guide.

For people having trouble with their NVidia cards. My monitors turned off while booting the installer. I fixed this by adding my device id to the correct driver (the NV50 one). My card is a GTX 260 TOP.

I also heard installing the drivers from nvidia could help.

Hey I feel like a moron, I was booting from my lion partition and thats why it was rebooting (guessing it was an older boot loader). Anyway I am now typing this on mlion and graphics and everything is GREAT!

My only problem is audio. I have tried to understand the readme and cant make any sense of it. I am sorry I am just a noob at this. Under system report-audio-intel high defintion audio- it says the audio id is 885. Is there anyway you could put it in more simple terms of how to get audio? I have never edited a dsdt or patched any kexts. Thank you for all your help and great guide.

Since you're on a GA-P35-DS4 the easiest is to just go with the DSDT that the installer makes. In other words: Just unzip the installer and don't add your Lion DSDT before making the boot USB.

My understanding is (I'm not really too familiar with what is actually going on) that OS X matches the audio layout from the ID in the DSDT. The old ID was 885 and that worked because the appropriate files with the 885 ID were copied to the AppleHDA.kext. I've used another audio pack this time, and in this one the ID is 12. I'm guessing the actual number is fairly arbitrary but I didn't want to mess with VCH888's audio pack so I changed the patcher to reflect that instead.

I just got now got it to work by using kext utility and AppleHDA.kext I found on another message board. So now audio works and I am in the process of making a time machine backup so I can restore it to my ssd drive. Thank you so much for your help and great guide. I would recommend the ati6870 msi twin frozr to anyone wanting a bad ass graphics card with out of the box functionality. Wish I had ddr3 but I think the next upgrade for me is going to be an apple cinema 27 non thunderbolt :(

Any ideas on getting sleep to work? Everything else works great but when I choose sleep it turns my display off but computer stays on. I have to hold power for 5secs before I can get it to restart. Is there a kext someone can point me to to fix this issue?

**Update** Installed the universal sleepenabler kext from osx86 and check the box under the energy savings settings. It does now sleep and wake but finder and other programs act very strange after sleep. Lots of beach balls and odd behavior. Everything else works great and I am so happy to be on ML!

Any ideas on getting sleep to work? Everything else works great but when I choose sleep it turns my display off but computer stays on. I have to hold power for 5secs before I can get it to restart. Is there a kext someone can point me to to fix this issue?

**Update** Installed the universal sleepenabler kext from osx86 and check the box under the energy savings settings. It does now sleep and wake but finder and other programs act very strange after sleep. Lots of beach balls and odd behavior. Everything else works great and I am so happy to be on ML!

My sleep just works after modifying the Energy Saver preferences.

Hi tseug. First of all thank you for your guide! I have P35-DS4 with Intel core 2 Quad Q6600, 9500GT 1GB DDR2 and 3GB of RAM... In the install.zip you have a folder called dsdt and in that folder a file called iasl... The iasl file is the DSDT for our motherboard? If yes, why the name isn't DSDT.aml? Should i rename it? Sorry for my noob question...

Hi tseug. First of all thank you for your guide! I have P35-DS4 with Intel core 2 Quad Q6600, 9500GT 1GB DDR2 and 3GB of RAM... In the install.zip you have a folder called dsdt and in that folder a file called iasl... The iasl file is the DSDT for our motherboard? If yes, why the name isn't DSDT.aml? Should i rename it? Sorry for my noob question...

No. iasl is a compiler for DSL which is the language used to create AML files. The DSDT is generated on the fly during the installation unless one is added to the install pack beforehand as described in the guide.

No. iasl is a compiler for DSL which is the language used to create AML files. The DSDT is generated on the fly during the installation unless one is added to the install pack beforehand as described in the guide.

Ok i got it. Thank you very much for your answer... Right now i have installed ML using ###### and ###### method from the first day of ML. I didn't have a DSDT so i chose [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] option and everything works fine except sleep. Is there any way to create a DSDT now with your installer without to install the ML again?

Thank you in advance...

I tried this method and the usb creates fine, but as when I try to boot into it, I can read something about the ACPI C states not being generated and then it immediately restarts my PC.

Here are my specs:

• AsRock P67 Pro3 SE
  • i5 2500k
  • AMD Radeon HD 6950 (although I'm not sure this is relevant?)

This isn't my first try, when try the myHack method it first loads up all the kexts then restarts, and the same with ######. I think this is weird because I've been working with Snow Leopard and Lion on this PC perfectly.

Hi tsung, I just followed your guide on installing the Mountian Lion.

But I have a problem when attaching OS X Mountain Lion.

I moved the install folder on the desktop, I typed:

cd Desktop

Then I type:

sudo install/mkboot /Volumes/Boot/

After that I obtain the failure as shown in the following figure:

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-05%20at%201.50.05%20AM.png

Did I miss something?

Seems to me that you don't have Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app in your applications folder.

Because internet connection in my house is very bad, I decided to ask to my friend and I got the file in .dmg.

I also have mounting and make clone using Carbon Copy Cloner to the Applications folder. But it still does not work. :(

Hi,

I also have the problem with the black screen after booting the USB Stick. I used 2 different graphic cards (NVidea 285 GTX and NVidea 9800 GT) but without results. GraphicsEnabler is set to <Yes> and I added <PciRootUID=1> as recommended by herbalb in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist but nothing happens than a black screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

I also have the problem with the black screen after booting the USB Stick. I used 2 different graphic cards (NVidea 285 GTX and NVidea 9800 GT) but without results. GraphicsEnabler is set to <Yes> and I added <PciRootUID=1> as recommended by herbalb in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist but nothing happens than a black screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Try to use only one card, I suggest 9800GT.

I fixed the odd behavior in my msi 6870 twin frozr, I am not sure what part fixed it tho. I installed, VoodooTSCSync.kext, AppleRTC.kext, and ati6000Controller.kext all from osx86, after I did all that ( Not sure if all are needed) my computer is fine after waking up. Before it was really unstable and had graphics issues. Now everything is perfect. THANKS TSEUG!!!!!

Hi 0nno,

my mistake. I tried the 285 GTX first, and after this the 9800GT. It was always the same result: I'm able to boot to the USB Stick, but when the installation screen should appear, the screen gets black and nothing more happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi 0nno,

my mistake. I tried the 285 GTX first, and after this the 9800GT. It was always the same result: I'm able to boot to the USB Stick, but when the installation screen should appear, the screen gets black and nothing more happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Try to boot with Verbose Mode (with 9800GT card).

And also don't forget to add this string:

GraphicsEnabler=Y -v

Because internet connection in my house is very bad, I decided to ask to my friend and I got the file in .dmg.

I also have mounting and make clone using Carbon Copy Cloner to the Applications folder. But it still does not work. :(

Just open the dmg and drag & drop the ML installation app to your Applications folder. No need for CCC...

Everything was going fine creating the Boot USB stick then when the script got to Installing Ruby I encountered a huge list of missing files and it seemed to stop?

Packages/OxfordDictionaries.pkg

140169051 100% 4.01MB/s 0:00:33 (xfer#14, to-check=2/17)

Packages/RemoteDesktop.pkg

2661653 100% 2.40MB/s 0:00:01 (xfer#15, to-check=1/17)

Packages/X11redirect.pkg

588490 100% 3.36MB/s 0:00:00 (xfer#16, to-check=0/17)

sent 3854169583 bytes received 378 bytes 4237680.00 bytes/sec

total size is 3853697988 speedup is 1.00

Copying Extra to /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System...

Extra/DSDT.aml not found. Installing tools for DSDT auto generation...

Installing Ruby on /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System

cp: /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/lib/ruby/gems (from old Mac)/1.8/doc/actionpack-2.2.2/rdoc/classes/ActionController/Assertions/RoutingAssertions.src/M001491.html: No such file or directory

cp: /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/lib/ruby/gems (from old Mac)/1.8/doc/actionpack-2.2.2/rdoc/classes/ActionController/Assertions/RoutingAssertions.src/M001492.html: No such file or directory

cp: /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/lib/ruby/gems (from old Mac)/1.8/doc/actionpack-2.2.2/rdoc/classes/ActionController/Assertions/SelectorAssertions.html: No such file or directory

cp: /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/lib/ruby/gems (from old Mac)/1.8/doc/actionpack-2.2.2/rdoc/classes/ActionController/Assertions/SelectorAssertions.src: No such file or directory

Everything was going fine creating the Boot USB stick then when the script got to Installing Ruby I encountered a huge list of missing files and it seemed to stop?

As mentioned before I haven't tested on Snow Leopard and unfortunately don't have access to a system running SL. Ruby is probably somewhere else, but I don't know where.

How to alleviate:

cd install

ruby patcher.rb

cp DSDT.aml Extra/

sudo ./mkboot /Volumes/Boot/

Again: This is untested.

If this works please let me know so I can put it in the guide.

Thanks tseug

Everything went smoothly, thanks to you my old ds4 still alive and kicking hard. With 8GB and Q9550 this board still got plenty power.

I'm following your guides since Snow Leopard and have perfectly working system since.

I invested in HD5770 which works natively so I didn't had any graphics problems since.

Cheers

Just open the dmg and drag & drop the ML installation app to your Applications folder. No need for CCC...

I've tried before, but it still failed.

@tseug: Do you have a solution for my issues?