Apple updates iMacs, Minis without fanfare

Swad

72 posts in this topic

Yet another high-end Mac that's powered by nVidia. In fact, there isn't even an ATi card listed on the Build-To-Order page. Hmm...

This has to be a better deal than even the Mac Pro. Most high-quality 24" monitors run for over $1,000. That's what make this so irresistible. And aside from the display, the specs look like an iMac can give a Mac Pro a close match in benchscores.

If Apple keeps dropping prices and giving more "bang for you buck," I think I'll hold off a little while and see what happens. They're doing a great job at fixing up their reputation, but I'm still not about to recommend an Apple computer to anybody with a tight budget. I know the mini now has a Core 2 Duo, but there are still much better computers available for the same prices. If they can dish out high performance at sub-$1000, I'm sold.

I know the mini now has a Core 2 Duo

nuh uh :(;)

http://www.apple.com/macmini

Still just the Core Duo

I assume they used nvidia because ATIs X1800XT series are high power consumption cards under load and would be way too much for the deisgn (X1800XT is 100W!) 7900GT is around half that but a littl slower so think how cool the ones that are in the iMac will be

If Apple keeps dropping prices and giving more "bang for you buck," I think I'll hold off a little while and see what happens. They're doing a great job at fixing up their reputation ...

Very true - and it's good to see them appealing to more people who otherwise would buy an off-the-shelf PC. I do believe they're going to make some real headway in the market with the new systems and prices.

I'm going to have to stick with my G5 for some time yet and resist the temptation to buy a nice new shiny box. I've become used to reading the press with interest, but saying to myself "I can't afford that yet, but just think how much more advanced the systems will get by the time I can afford to upgrade." The pace of technology is just incredible and Apple's strategy is very exciting.

Um... I would much rather have a 23inch iMac. That was what the rumor said... I'm kinda disapointed. (I should be happy that it is bigger than what we thought, but still... being wrong hurts.)

YAY, I just ordered myself a 17" with 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, AppleCare and the 2.16GHz upgrade. Came to $1,776 CAD before taxes with the student discount, and I don't think I could be happier, I've spent all of my summer's earnings, but it will be worth it. Great move on Apple's part. Woo.

grr i got a solo mac mini

its cool. im in the same boat. everyones gonna be wowing over the new macbook pros with updated gfx cards and processors while im here with a retro one. its cool though. these will be collectors items. :)

you could always sell the core solo. im sure they are many people who would buy it and make it a server. ehll, people are looking for the old ppc ones.

Thank God I bought my 17" iMac 24 days ago, now I can be a little SOB and return mine to CompUSA, get the new Core 2 Duo, and get $100 back :)

Thank God I bought my 17" iMac 24 days ago, now I can be a little SOB and return mine to CompUSA, get the new Core 2 Duo, and get $100 back :(

Is there no charge in returning it since you've opened the package and used it?

Also the 24" seems to be 40% brighter than the other models. Interesting. Gotta go and check it out for myself.

Is there no charge in returning it since you've opened the package and used it?

Also the 24" seems to be 40% brighter than the other models. Interesting. Gotta go and check it out for myself.

Well turns out most I can get is store credit for what I purchased, but if I can't get that I'm going to wait till Leopard comes out then buy a new iMac, and sell my current one to my parents.

You lost me here, no doubt due to my ignorance :)

OK, I will try again. Two points related to the 64-bit question:

(1) While the new iMac has a 64-bit CPU, it almost certainly is using some 945 chipset which is 32-bit (it will only address up to 4GB of RAM or less). This chipset situation will change next year when Intel releases the new mobile chipset designed for Core 2 Duo.

(2) There is no inherent performance benefit to running a 64-bit application over a 32-bit one. In fact, the opposite is true. The "pointers" (addresses) to memory in a 64-bit application are twice as big, so they take up twice the space in the chip's limited on-die highspeed cache and memory bandwidth. The only people who benefit from a 64-bit application are those who have more than 4 GB of RAM installed, because then a single application "process" can address it all. These people are the ones running Mac Pro with the full 16GBs installed, they are "pros".

For all you, Intel Mac Mini owners, to know how to upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Duo look here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26444

:)

BTW, awesome move!

I'm going to buy a 20" with the Vram ugrade :)

Nice one, Don Luca. BTW, I see plenty of people have read your thread about the upgrade, even if no-one has replied in that thread. C'mon folks, feedback is good! angel_not.gif

Update - I just read this from The Inquirer - Apple to delay Merom Notebooks - it may have been reported elsewhere on the forum, but as it's fresh today I thought it worth posting here.

OK, I will try again. Two points related to the 64-bit question:

(1) While the new iMac has a 64-bit CPU, it almost certainly using some 945 chipset which is 32-bit chipset (it will only address up to 4GB of RAM or less). This chipset situation will change next year when Intel releases the new mobile chipset designed for Core 2 Duo.

So I should defidently wait untill that chipset comes out for the iMac before I buy my Core 2 Duo?