Apple updates iMacs, Minis without fanfare

Swad

72 posts in this topic

Apple silently (ie while I was asleep) upgraded their iMac and Mac Mini lines today, adding a 24" iMac model, slapping in Core 2 Duo processors, and adjusting the prices to make the low end 1.83GHz version a nice almost round USD $999.99. Since it's what we're all interested in, the specs of the 24":

24-inch widescreen LCD

1920x1200 resolution

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1

4MB shared L2 cache

1GB memory (2x512MB SO-DIMM)

250GB Serial ATA hard drive2

8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL, DVD±RW, CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

The Cupertino gang also bumped the speeds of the Mac Mini from 1.5 and 1.66 GHz to 1.66 and 1.83 respectively.

Both models are available today... which is a good thing since I'll be placing an order for the 20" iMac (funded by the upcoming sale of my homebrew). Review coming soon.

And I thought it would be another week before hearing any news of system upgrades... must resist urge to order one right now... wife would kill me... :)

I wonder if the new Core 2 Duo iMac will have 64 bit capability with Leopard along with the Xeon in the Mac Pro. I looked up the Core 2 Duo before and it appeared that they had 64 bit capability.

I am pretty sure that it is a 64bit capable chip... seeming to recall that as being one of the other major upgrades, besides the additional L2 cache on chip

... what we're all interested in...

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory

I am definitely interested in the 24" iMac's Nvidia.efi firmware module.

So what chipset is Apple using on the iMac now? Looks like the 945GM, because the $999 iMac comes with the GMA 950 as opposed to the new GMA X3000.

The use of Merom on the iMac and the fact that Apple is sticking Yonah on the Mac Mini, is yet more evidence that we will see Conroe / 965P Mid-tower Mac.

I am pretty sure that it is a 64bit capable chip...

Yup, it's 64 bit.

EDIT: The CPU is definitely 64 bit, but if these iMacs are still using the 945 chipset they will be limited to 32 bits. However, 64 bit-ness is really a Mac Pro level issue, it has really no bearing here as these machine can only hold up to 3 GB of RAM. 64 bit applications only become useful when you have more 4 GB RAM.

The 24" iMac is really tempting me, although I got a Dell 2405FPW screen. If I bought the iMac I certainly would sell the Dell display - on the other hand I wanted to keep the display and buy a MacBook Pro, which I can also connect to the display (I think this is also possible with the new iMac, but the advantage of the Dell screen is the Pivot function). I am excited as for the event on Sep, 12. I hope they unveil an upgraded MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo and better graphics (I guess they'll be equipped with nVidia graphics, too). Maybe there'll also be some other new features.

Just ordered the 20" model, which saw a nice price drop. With my ADC discount and the upgraded 256 gfx card, the total came to $1,418.00

Should be here in about 2 weeks. :D I can hardly wait.

I Think apple may have a big surprise with it's movie store.

Either that or they are gonna miff me off.

I think they will start the movie store and have high-res video.

They can't expect me to buy a 24" Inch screen and then a a video that only runs at 320 x 240? I Think this is a hint at HD movies tho it would need some real codex power to get the data size down, but apple are just the people to do that.

I think they've also gotten more reasonable on their RAM. I upgraded my RAM to 2 GB for around 150 with ADC, which is about the cost of buying 2 1GB sticks from Newegg. Granted, I could sell the stock RAM on eBay, but for the difference in price it's worth just having Apple install it.

The non-ADC price is just 170, which is still pretty decent. Not as outrageous as before.

Update: It's due to arrive on the 22.

EDIT: The CPU is definitely 64 bit, but if these iMacs are still using the 945 chipset they will be limited to 32 bits. However, 64 bit-ness is really a Mac Pro level issue, it has really no bearing here as these machine can only hold up to 3 GB of RAM. 64 bit applications only become useful when you have more 4 GB RAM.

You lost me here, no doubt due to my ignorance :2cents:

I have a box almost identical to yours (Intel D945GNTLKR, Pentium D 950, 4 GB DDR2 RAM)

I have installed both Windows and Linux 64 bit versions and they seem to run fine.