Apple updates iMacs, Minis without fanfare

Swad

72 posts in this topic

I guess I might be the only one who thinks this is kind of bad, but I mean for all those that might have wanted a cheaper iMac and bought a Mini or something else, now kick themselves over the $999 iMac. Those that had the money to put down on a higher end mac now are kicking themselves that the 24 inch is out. It is good but Apple needs to not change so much cause they are going to make buying the new Intel Macs a pain cause people will always wonder if they should wait. Now if this was JUST a speed upgrade in the cpus, that would be ok since they do go up over time, but this is a complete restructure of the line. I hope Apple doesn't restructure again and leave some with "old" models and kick themselves over it.

On a better note, I am wondering if the Macbooks will go down in price. I mean a 17 inch iMac with all that stuff is $999 then why is the Macbook (It doesn't matter it is laptop, the iMac is built the same way as a laptop so the price should be about the same) $1099? I mean I could see the low end Macbook is $899 or maybe $799. I can only hope.

Like Bofors, I am very much hoping that Apple comes out with a mid-range tower.

Personally I don't see the meaning of building a new hackintosh right now. Mine has a Pentium D950, 4 GB of premium DDR2 RAM... I doubt that I would notice all that difference with a Conroe based one. However in about one year time or less it should be possible to buy quads for a reasonable price, and that should make a real difference.

On the other hand I am worried about the future of this project. Jas has gone, we are still using an old kernel... If those are symptoms of things to come, it is much better to own a Mac.

You are right. I took my hackintosh apart, put my XP machine together again to game on. I am going to get me a refurbed iBook or maybe a Macbook. Doesn't really matter, just need something to not game on, do pictures, some audio, some video capture, some internet, and that is it. I don't need alot. OSX86 is falling apart and it is sad. I don't bash Jas, but he leaving is kind of silly but his choice; being his choice, it has hurt the OSX86 world and like you said, we are still on an old kernel and I wou like to run a kernel the matched the version of OSX I was running. I think it is time to just go Mac and let it be.

It is true, I also miss gaming when I am using OS X, especially chess games. The only semi-decent ones are Sigma Chess and Chessmaster 9000, but I wouldn't buy a game which needs Rosetta.

On the other hand my hackintosh could make a great gaming rig with Win XP and a decent card (I am still using the GMA 950)

I really hope that Apple understands that there is a huge gap in their offerings: a mid-range tower that can run Windows, Linux...

That would be nice. Maybe call it the Mac Lite, Mac Home, or whetever. It is looking at OSX86 is going out. Sad, but true.

Maybe we could just call it "Mac Desktop" :)

As to the demise of this project, aren't we a bit too pessimistic? I just said that I am a bit worried and that owning a Mac would be better (which is kind of stating the obvious)

I guess I am pessimistic, but look at the facts:

1) Jas is gone. Myzar is here, but we are down to "50% power" with Jas gone.

2) Still running on an old kernel.

3) With just Myzar, patches will come slower and slower because he is one person and he has a life. He can't do OSX86 all the time.

To me that is bleek, really bleek. I mean if Myzar takes a break then OSX86 is stuck and then when he is back, no offense to him at all, there are less minds working on the issue. Plus, old kernel. I mean with that issue, we might be on an old kernel with Leopard.

I don't mean to be so pessimistic, but the OSX86 project is very gloomy right now. I guess that is why I am going to get an Apple laptop later on, so I don't have to rely on few or one on the net to keep my OS going. No offense intended to Myzar/Jas.

3) With just Myzar, patches will come slower and slower because he is one person and he has a life. He can't do OSX86 all the time.

It sounds like you misunderstand what Myzar and Jas have been doing. They do not create OSx86 patches, but rather package them with the OS X installer for easy use.

Guys all that Jas And Myzaar really did was put the patches together on a DVD. OS X x86 is not dommed, well hopefuly it is for n00bs (i mean major n00bs) but we are still able to apply our own patches without JaS or Myzaar arent we. Stop being so dependent please.

It is looking at OSX86 is going out. Sad, but true.

This is hardly the case, OSx86 is as strong as ever. While significant breakthroughs in developement work are happening, they have yet to make it out of the "laboratory" yet. Some of the delay is strategic, we do not want Apple to know what we can do until after Leopard is out.

Bofors is right - OSx86 is hardly dead.

Anyway, back on topic...

My iMac shipped today from China!!! I should have it next Monday which is great. It'd be better to have it over the weekend, but I'll settle for Monday. Woot!

Bofors is right - OSx86 is hardly dead.

Anyway, back on topic...

My iMac shipped today from China!!! I should have it next Monday which is great. It'd be better to have it over the weekend, but I'll settle for Monday. Woot!

This is awesome, congrats. What are your iMac's specs?

Processor 0656776 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Graphics Memory 0656798 256MB VRAM

Memory 0656637 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB

Hard Drive 0656528 250GB Serial ATA Drive

Optical Drive 0656529 SuperDrive 8X (DVDRDL/CDRW)

Double woot! FedEx is saying it'll be here by the 15th!

Hi Mash

So is it safe to buy fom China? And cheaper?

I think what Mash meant was that when you buy from the online Apple store, the system, which is made in China, ships directly from that country. At least that's what happened when I bought my Powerbook G4. What I found amusing was that it actually shipped and arrived sooner all the way from China than some other Apple stuff I ordered and that was shipped from within the US, where I live.

You must wait 5 days? You'll survive :lol:

Haha, I will, just an annoyance that's happened to me before with Apple. They ended up delaying another order three times, making it arrive in February, when it was supposed to be a Christmas gift. That's all I'm worried about happening, but it shouldn't be a problem this time around, I hope. I called customer service earlier today, just to check if they could tell me anything about it. I was told it was being readied for shipping today, and should be shipped before the nineteenth. So we'll see. :)

EDIT: It's shipped! ^_^