P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

A little off topic, but I switched recently to an external USB driven amplifier and speakers from Teufel which are natively supported by MacOS.

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/pc/concept-b-...7c966adc3a592c1

This avoids the hassle of the built in sound card plus maybe more importantly it sounds significantly better

Thanks for the tip, however I want to use my speaker setup as they are...

I guess I can just wait on the sound since I mainly want to do my photo editing within OSX and will boot into windows for gaming etc...

Thanks for the tip, however I want to use my speaker setup as they are...

I guess I can just wait on the sound since I mainly want to do my photo editing within OSX and will boot into windows for gaming etc...

Why are you having problems with sound? It works!

Nope, not unless you mess up the bios patching in which case it will probably brick the whole pc lol

Just to be on the safe side (and for curiosity), I de-compiled the modified bios modules and checked their assembly code, and the changes are very little: Before the patch it changes the value of the 15th bit of accumulator eax to 1, which seem to be the lock method, after the patch this value remains as it is.

loc_FFFF0953:
movzx	eax, al
or	eax, 6000400h
cmp	[ebp+var_1], bl
jz	short loc_FFFF096D
cmp	[ebp+var_2], 4
jbe	short loc_FFFF0972
or	eax, 18008000h ; <---- after the patch this becomes 18000000h
jmp	short loc_FFFF0972

loc_FFFF096D:
or	eax, 8000h ; <---- after the patch this becomes 0

loc_FFFF0972:
push	0FFFFFFFFh
push	0FFFFFFF8h
push	ebx
push	eax
push	esi
call	sub_FFFF195C
add	esp, 14h
test	byte ptr [ebp+var_8+2],	0Fh
pop	esi
pop	ebx
jz	short loc_FFFF098D
mov	al, 2
jmp	short loc_FFFF0994

@^Andy^,

Hi Andy I had a couple questions for you on the Bios Hack. I have an Asus Gamers Laptop G74SX with the same issue the APTIO EFI Bios Lock on Speedstep.

I have a couple of screenshots showing that this string cannot be found in my CpuPei and I don't have a second module remotely similar to the ones you posted only the CpuPei.

I have also attached my rom from Asus website to see if anyone can clue me in on what string I may need to change or how I can figure out what the string in my Bios needs to be changed to?

I apologize if this seems like hijacking your thread and if I did please forgive me and let me know and direct me to the proper thread for this. I did search and came up with nothing for my Laptop and somewhat desperate!!

I am using the mmtool as you can see on my screenshot and I am unsure if my EFI is the newer 8GB or 4GB have to find out. I also read that using the phoenix tools is necessary for the newer and larger sized ROm only correct? Is there some danger in writing back to modules with the Phoenix tool versus the mmtool? I read this somewhere that something gets changed when written back to the rom which may cause problems?he past with assemblers

I have dwelled in the past with disassemblers and debuggers way back so I dunno if this is where I have t start and have no idea how to start to find out what string needs to be modified?

post-135888-1319225095_thumb.png

post-135888-1319225106_thumb.png

G74SxAS203.zip

Thanks again.

@^Andy^,

Hi Andy I had a couple questions for you on the Bios Hack. I have an Asus Gamers Laptop G74SX with the same issue the APTIO EFI Bios Lock on Speedstep.

I have a couple of screenshots showing that this string cannot be found in my CpuPei and I don't have a second module remotely similar to the ones you posted only the CpuPei.

I have also attached my rom from Asus website to see if anyone can clue me in on what string I may need to change or how I can figure out what the string in my Bios needs to be changed to?

I apologize if this seems like hijacking your thread and if I did please forgive me and let me know and direct me to the proper thread for this. I did search and came up with nothing for my Laptop and somewhat desperate!!

I am using the mmtool as you can see on my screenshot and I am unsure if my EFI is the newer 8GB or 4GB have to find out. I also read that using the phoenix tools is necessary for the newer and larger sized ROm only correct? Is there some danger in writing back to modules with the Phoenix tool versus the mmtool? I read this somewhere that something gets changed when written back to the rom which may cause problems?he past with assemblers

I have dwelled in the past with disassemblers and debuggers way back so I dunno if this is where I have t start and have no idea how to start to find out what string needs to be modified?

post-135888-1319225095_thumb.png

post-135888-1319225106_thumb.png

G74SxAS203.zip

Thanks again.

Sorry oSxFr33k but I can't help you. There is no way I can test or verify any bios hacks on hardware that I dont own and due to the rather severe implications of getting it wrong (i.e. bricked laptop or pc) I wont even try - sorry mate :S

Just to be on the safe side (and for curiosity), I de-compiled the modified bios modules and checked their assembly code, and the changes are very little: Before the patch it changes the value of the 15th bit of accumulator eax to 1, which seem to be the lock method, after the patch this value remains as it is.

loc_FFFF0953:
movzx	eax, al
or	eax, 6000400h
cmp	[ebp+var_1], bl
jz	short loc_FFFF096D
cmp	[ebp+var_2], 4
jbe	short loc_FFFF0972
or	eax, 18008000h ; <---- after the patch this becomes 18000000h
jmp	short loc_FFFF0972

loc_FFFF096D:
or	eax, 8000h ; <---- after the patch this becomes 0

loc_FFFF0972:
push	0FFFFFFFFh
push	0FFFFFFF8h
push	ebx
push	eax
push	esi
call	sub_FFFF195C
add	esp, 14h
test	byte ptr [ebp+var_8+2],	0Fh
pop	esi
pop	ebx
jz	short loc_FFFF098D
mov	al, 2
jmp	short loc_FFFF0994

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, all I can say is that the modified bios works for me.

@all

Having seen others get successful BIOS patching, and having checked what does the BIOS patch really change, I went ahead and did it too..... ANDY .... YOU MUST GIVE ME A NEW MOTHERBOARD.... ;) (just kidding)...

It all went OK, I am running Mac with no nullCPUPowerManagement or the SpeedStepped patches. And just as before, Sleep & Wakeup are working just fine.

---

Update:

I even went a step ahead in BIOS modification, and changed the bios Full-Screen boot image to an apple inspired screen:

splashl.th.png

---

In addition to the patch, I am still using the DSDT I extracted and patched for my mobo, which fixes the audio without the need for HDAEnabler, and the PowerButton that brings up a dialog to select what operation to do (PWRB).

so 2 less kexts for now

@peebee01

I checked the reached PStates with MSRDumper, but I still get only 16 and 37, nothing in between, both with GeneratePStates = Yes and No

(And it seems the Turbo bosst is on too, because the i5 2500k has max 3.3Ghz, and when the boost is active it reaches 3.7Ghz)

What else do you have to get the other? what system smbios are you using? I have mine set to 12,2? Are you using SSDT for the processor?

Why are you having problems with sound? It works!

hmm okay I gotta work out some other issues first.

Right now im dual booting windows 7 and Lion 10.7.2.

My problem is after installing the "installer" package, I can't boot into OSX anymore.

I get the white Apple logo and the loading wheel thing but then it takes a few minutes, then eventually a circle with a line through it appears.

I ended up reinstalling lion 10.7.2 however I use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ->bootloader and then it works fine but that means I cant install your package.... or is there anyway to just remove the bootloader from your install package?

Itunes keeps crashing on me as well but Im not sure if its related to my video card causing things to screw up.. 580gtx

@peebee01

I checked the reached PStates with MSRDumper, but I still get only 16 and 37, nothing in between, both with GeneratePStates = Yes and No

(And it seems the Turbo bosst is on too, because the i5 2500k has max 3.3Ghz, and when the boost is active it reaches 3.7Ghz)

What else do you have to get the other? what system smbios are you using? I have mine set to 12,2? Are you using SSDT for the processor?

I assume that in the BIOS you have not specified the per core over clock ratio, correct?

You can set a multiplier for 1, 2, 3, or 4 cores. Then you will see those power states.

I assume that that is the difference as I do use imac12,2, but no DSDT.

I have a question for you as well: could it be my sleep doesn't work because I'm not using a DSDT? What happens if you drop your DSDT?

I assume that in the BIOS you have not specified the per core over clock ratio, correct?

You can set a multiplier for 1, 2, 3, or 4 cores. Then you will see those power states.

I assume that that is the difference as I do use imac12,2, but no DSDT.

In the bios i did not set anything related to the cpu, all on stock settings.

I have a question for you as well: could it be my sleep doesn't work because I'm not using a DSDT? What happens if you drop your DSDT?

Well, all if not most dsdt patches have a couple of modifications that fixes sleep, I don't really know if patching the BIOS alone helps the Sleep, but I always went with DSDT. I've attached my dsdt, but it is for my P8P67 Pro Rev3.0 (based on Bios 2001 beta), give it a try.

DSDT.aml.zip

<br />Use phoenixtool v1.91, load the bios file from from the Asus site that you wish to edit, wait for it to do whatever the hell it insisits on doing, select asus as the manufacturer, click advanced, select 'no slic' and 'allow user to modify other modules' click done, click 'go' and wait for the message telling you that 'you can now make manual alterations to modules in the dump file' - DO NOT CLICK OK!.<br />Open the dump folder and look for 2 19kb sized files named 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_370 and 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_440 (the last 3 digits may vary depending on which board and bios you are hacking around with), open both files in the hex editor of your choice and search for this hex string 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 and replace it with 00 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 00. Save both files back to the dump folder and then switch back to phoenixtool and click 'OK', it will then repack your changes back into a a new bios file BUT check the log file - if there are any errors at all do NOT attempt to flash the resulting rom. <br /><br />DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING - ONE MISTAKE AND YOU WILL BRICK YOUR BIOS.<br /><br />Seriously - DO NOT do this unless you accept the fact that you could end up with a bricked pc - it only takes one slight mistake!<br /><br />P.S I read which hex string to edit in another post - so it's not my work or findings - credit is due elsewhere!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

andy as I use a dual boot system ie windows,linux osx etc how does this bios mod affect windows etc?

Hey Andy,

Just wanted to make sure this guide was for clean installations for a machine with a P8P67 Pro without any previously installed bootloader or prior osx installation. I tried making the bootable USB drive on my MBP, following your directions step by step, and I would assume that the P8P67Pro installation package, when installed, includes the Chameleon bootloader for the USB drive, but all I'm getting is the dreaded blinking "_" cursor after hitting F8 to select my flash drive as the boot device. I've read through the topic and attempted every potential fix as far as disabling Speedstep and taking out all but one stick of RAM. I've been out of the hackintosh scene for awhile, so I've never done a hackintosh build without burning some sort of physical media. I'm hoping this is the first time I don't have to use Boot-132 if you remember using that. :D

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Mike

Just checking in after a few days of use...

Ive got the video card (evga 580gtx) fully supported with open gl etc... however it doesnt run as smoothly as it should...

Im still having issues with iCloud and occasionally I'll get the beach ball for 30 seconds though im unsure if its related to any programs im running.

Sound DOES work with the Optical out!!

Another problem that started up after I got my video card working was that the mouse and keyboard wont work for the first few minutes after boot.

Try tot remove 2 things, its the same stuck like on 6970 - no support graph, so maybe it helps

Just delete those 2 files and reboot:

System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonx3000GLDriver.bundle

System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extension.mkext

works with 6970 - installed netkas patch after reboot

I deleted those 2 files machine opened. But when I install andys native or standart package again I cant open again? Do you have any idea? Also when I open iTunes machine crashed.

Take a picture in -v mode so we can see what is causing it to hang.

Finally I found a solution. First of all before to install Andys native pkg. I deleted all ATIRadeonX3000 kext and bundle (4 files on extension directory) Then installed native package and first boot with PCIRootUID=1. Everythings work now except iCloud. Always getting invalid ID error. How to fix it? Do you have any idea?

Andy also I have question for you how to change your loading screen background?

hi andy I hope everything is going well ... I bought an asus motherboard p8p67 m pro with XFX ATI 6870 video card processor i5 2400 16 GB of ram corsair vengeance low profile and 2 disks WD Caviar Green 2 TB sataIII ... able to install 10.6.7 with your method but the video card does not work, I tell you this, why not let me use the resolution 1920 x 1080 which is my monitor I have. I appreciate the great support you are giving in several communities with your method and expect an answer to my problem ... Health and great fortune to you!!

HI All

Have someone on his board a second pci-express card running, like a raid controller ? i cant get my card working, i guess the second pci-express slot is not working in Lion, with this installation!?

KeMi

I think its more likely that os x doesnt support your pci express raid card!

I think its more likely that os x doesnt support your pci express raid card!

Hi Andy

Yeah it does, its a card for os x and it works now, had to re-install the driver and it works now. But having a new problem, but it seams this probem is one that caused by the controller... i cant boot the machine when i have a RAID configured, when i delet the RAID then the machine just boots nice... i have to look into it. :)

Thanks

KeMi