P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Do you have anything plugged into the usb3 ports? (they wont work on this revision of the board anyway as it uses a different usb3 controller)

Thanks for replying so quickly!

There is nothing plugged in the usb3 ports. I must confess that just I rechecked the power cord to my graphics card and now I am able to boot to my Snow Leo partition again. Haven't tried Lion yet, I'll report back if things are stable.

Fingers crossed but... everything seems stable on Lion as well now. A lesson for me: always double check every connection in the hardware before blaming the software :) Thanks for your help Andy, and the great driver package you made :)

Nice one - glad it's working!!!

Thanks Andy that worked for me. I had been having issues with speed stepper. After changing the BIOS I get the four different P states I've set in the BIOS for 1,2,3,4 cores plus Pstate 16.

You can check the speed stepper thread on how to load MSRDumper.kext which will show you if it works:

Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50
Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50
Oct 19 21:53:00 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Oct 19 21:53:00 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 

BTW for those interested I've attached the BIOS ROM for a P8P67 (first rev) This is obviously at your own risk, but it worked fine for my board.

Hello peebee01 and Andy,

just to be sure "first rev" means a 3.0 p8p67 board?

I've already installed 10.6.8 with the Andy package and it would be awesome to have native sleep and speedstep with this board.

thanks for your help.

Everything running fine with the latest BIOS on my P8P67 Pro 3.1 now, cheers for the edit Andy!

Only thing I can't figure out are my pstates - according to MSRDumper I only hit 16 and 45, nothing in between no matter what settings I use. Doesn't really matter much I guess since the CPU does ramp up to full OC'd speed when needed.

Everything running fine with the latest BIOS on my P8P67 Pro 3.1 now, cheers for the edit Andy!

Only thing I can't figure out are my pstates - according to MSRDumper I only hit 16 and 45, nothing in between no matter what settings I use. Doesn't really matter much I guess since the CPU does ramp up to full OC'd speed when needed.

No problem :)

Regarding the pstates I think that largely depends how you have your bios configured - if you use by all cores then I think thats all you will get (minimum and maximum only) - if however you use per core and set different speeds depending on the number of cores in use then you should see them all.

my mortherboard is p8p67 m, what pakage can I use? Can I ignore step 18?

You can ignore any step you like but don't be too surprised if it doesn't work afterwards lol.

You will need to check which package is most compatible with your board - I don't have the same board as you so have not tested any of the packages on it.

I'm trying to use this guide on a p8p67 PRO with 6950 sapphire 2gb vga, but when I create the usb (using lion install app version 10.7.2 that is the only I can download from apple now), it always say "boot0" or just a white underscore. what have i to do? Are there some settings to change in the bios?

Greets to Andy and everyone else.

Like many others in this thread, I followed the instructions to the letter but have not been able to get a bootable USB out of the process at any point. I have tried the procedure on both a USB "stick" (a Kingston flash memory type that I have booted from successfully before when doing a Win7 build) and a USB mini-HD (a 12GB Maxell), and one of two things results when booting either via the F8 menu or after manually changing the boot order settings in the EFI BIOS and restarting:

1. If I select the plain "<named USB device>" option from the boot menu, I get a blinking white underscore cursor and no further progress.

2. If I select the "UEFI:<named USB device>" option from the boot menu, I get the message "BOOTMGR is missing" and no further progress.

I have tried every permutation I can think of to make either USB drive boot on my P8P67 Evo mainboard, but all to no avail. Attempted fixes include: 1, selecting "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in the initial Disk Utility format instead of the "Mac OS Extended" that Andy's instructions indicate; 2, using the updated andyboot5 installer package (from his post dated 5 July) instead of the original; 3, adding in the ".disk_label", "boot.efi" and "kernelcache" files found in the Lion Install ESD root to the root of the "bootable" USB; and 4, creating the typical EFI-recommended boot folder hierarchy to store the "boot.efi" in from the root of the USB stick (/EFI/BOOT/boot.efi).

To confirm, yes, I have: 1, partitioned the USB with GUID; 2, copied over all of the specified hidden files; and 3, moved over the Extras folder.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for other obvious fixes I could try on the bootable USB front? I would really prefer to use Andy's method as my mobo is so similar (the P8P67 Evo is basically just a microscopically spiffier Pro), but in frustration am beginning to consider more generic options like iATKOS, which I doubt will result in as good a system match.

All help gratefully received. Happy holidays to those celebrating!

glyphery - dont even bother trying to boot with the uefi option.

I would suggest trying a different usb stick and i know that sounds like a massive cop out but its working for a lot of people but sadly not you so maybe it is the usb device you are installing to thats the problem.

After creating a lion install usb you have to boot using F8 and selecting the newly created usb booter.

Good luck and if you get stuck just remember its Christmas so have a drink, releax and come back chilled :)

@Andy: I appreciate the reply; I wasn't really expecting a response on Christmas Eve! ;-)

Many thanks for the various advice. Knowing that the UEFI boot option is a red herring is useful, as it will cut my test time in half, as every time it didn't work with the straight-up USB boot, I tried the UEFI variant. Also knowing that I should always use the F8 boot menu and not bother trying to force the EFI/BIOS setup to rejig the boot order is helpful. (Again, in desperation I was trying everything I could think of.)

Alas, I only have those two "proper" USB drives of the right form factor... beyond them, I have a few USB-rigged laptop (2.5") HDDs kicking about -- 60GB Hitachis, if I recall correctly -- but I assume that since they are *actual* hard drives and not USB drives, that they aren't a viable option for creating a bootable USB. Guess I might have to go hunting on eBay for more USB "sticks" in case both of mine are wonky. Are there any brands you particularly swear by (or at) in that arena?

Anyway, have a great holiday weekend and thanks again. I'll let you know if I make headway on my Hackintosh project.

@Everyone: Out of curiosity, can those of you who have successfully got a Hackintosh up and running built around a P8P67 (of any type) please let me know what version of the Asus EFI BIOS you got it working on? Having read other threads here on InsanelyMac, some of the install methods state, for example, that you need to "set ACPI Standby State to S3"... which isn't an available option even in the Advanced Mode of the EFI BIOS. Although I was happy enough to have a mouse-enabled BIOS when I first built this computer and discovered that that's what Asus is shipping on its P8P67 Evo mainboards, I'm beginning to have second thoughts now that I realise there are quite a few advanced tweak options that don't appear anywhere in the shiny new EFI BIOS.

In desperation, I also tried some of the other Lion install approaches mentioned here on InsanelyMac. The other methods have at least yielded bootable USBs (using the same USB drives that I mentioned earlier). I get to a bootloader screen and (after making a selection) to the white Apple logo on the grey background, with the loading spinner. Unfortunately, they all hang before the installer fully loads. Verbose mode seems to suggest the problem is mostly the dreaded "Still waiting for root device..." error. Experiments with iATKOS L1 and L2 burned to DVD-RW have yielded even more spectacular failures (L1, for example, just shuts down my entire computer about 1 min after the Apple logo appears).

Anyway, chime in with your P8P67 BIOS version or with suggestions for settings I may not have thought of. Many thanks in advance!

@Andy: I borrowed another USB stick off a friend and tried the Lion install from that, but it also fails to boot after it's selected via F8. Just like the other USB drives, there's about a 0.5 sec flash of two lines of white text on the black background ("boot: <something>...<something>") and then it just hangs with a black screen forever. Will be picking up a brand-new USB stick off eBay in the hopes that I've merely been unlucky enough to try this approach with 3 incompatible USB drives in a row.

@Andy: I borrowed another USB stick off a friend and tried the Lion install from that, but it also fails to boot after it's selected via F8. Just like the other USB drives, there's about a 0.5 sec flash of two lines of white text on the black background ("boot: <something>...<something>") and then it just hangs with a black screen forever. Will be picking up a brand-new USB stick off eBay in the hopes that I've merely been unlucky enough to try this approach with 3 incompatible USB drives in a row.

Stupid question I know but have you tried different usb ports?

@Andy:

Argh. Just typed in a large post detailing some of the stuff I've been doing to try to get this method to work... and I see that the InsanelyMac forum software threw a wobbly and lost everything. Alas, I have tried every available USB port (including ones on the case via the USB header block and ones physically on the mobo itself) and it makes no difference.

That said, not a stupid question at all and please don't hesitate to make suggestions that to you seem obvious. I may have somehow overlooked something very simple... although after four days of nightly battle with this Hackintosh build, I'm beginning to think I must have covered all of the basic schoolboy errors by now. (He said, naively.)

Many thanks for your continuing advice. I wish I knew why I can get some of the other "bootable USB" approaches (e.g., [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]) to load but the andyboot method never gets past F8. Out of curiosity, Andy, is your custom bootloader something like Chameleon, Chimera, etc.? I'm wondering if I could make my USB bootable with one of those bootloaders (instead of andyboot, which apparently hates me ;-) and then simply copy over your P8P67 specific fileset afterwards.

Oh, and I checked and my P8P67 Evo is running version 1502 of the BIOS. Is that what other people are using, or do you suppose it's worth risking the update to the very latest version? (I'm always a bit leery of bricking my mobo with a failed BIOS flash.)