P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

just set the default partition in boot.plist to the partition that you want to boot from.

i'm sorry andy, but this wont solve anything. The latest AndyBoot CD, did not updated my previously chameleon, and when i try to enter lion with the old andyboot Cd chamaleon, i get KP. Even with fdisk, i could not get my lion partition to boot first and show the latest chamaleon, its Always boot first my snow leo chamaleon.

Thx.

i'm sorry andy, but this wont solve anything. The latest AndyBoot CD, did not updated my previously chameleon, and when i try to enter lion with the old andyboot Cd chamaleon, i get KP. Even with fdisk, i could not get my lion partition to boot first and show the latest chamaleon, its Always boot first my snow leo chamaleon.

Thx.

mbort,

Sorry I assumed that you had one instance of chameleon installed and 2 os x partitions (lion and snow) and wanted to set which one to boot first. I didnt realise that you had 2 seperate instances of chameleon installed. In this case it will boot whichever version of chameleon is on the hdd that you are booting from. If you want it to default to the instance installed on your hdd with Lion installed then you will have to set that hdd as the boot drive via the bios. What I would probably do in this situation is update the versions of chameleon to be the same that way each drive could be booted independantly if needed and both instances would be capable of loading either installation (if that makes sense). if you are using an old version of chameleon on your snow partition then you may have to move the kexts from your extra folder to s/l/e just to be safe (otherwise even when trying to boot lion it will probably attempt to load them).

Andy, I found this guide which seems to discuss my problem exactly.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

What do you think? Should I try? This may sound stupid, but is it safe to install LSPCI tools and IORegistryExplorer?

Thanks again.

What do you think? Should I try? This may sound stupid, but is it safe to install LSPCI tools and IORegistryExplorer?

You can try it but I doubt its going to make any difference because the 6870 device id's are already in the latest builds of chameleons ati.c file (I know because I originally added them lol).

i have a sneaking suspicion that your problem may be very similar to mborts - can you confirm your lion and snow leo configurartion - ie are they on the same drive or different drives, if different drives is chameleon installed on both drives - if one the same drive how did you install - was snow leopard already installed and you used the usb method to install lion to the other partition?

I got it working! Reading that guide made me try different things, for example trying different boot flags, such as: PCIRootUID=1, and GE=Yes with different AtiConfig=.

I dumped the PCIRootUID=1, and just tried different framebuffers. The one that worked is Hydrilla. Weird, since I did not find any threads mentioning this FB linked to my card (and boy, did I read a {censored} load of threads). The most common FB was Duckweed, but on my system it didn't work.

Now DVD Player works, and I run a test on Cinebench. This is my result:

14Iwi.jpg

I don't know if that is normal or not. Is it?

Also, my graphics card is recognized now:

T1yrI.jpg

So I guess I should be happy now. I just need to know if that Cinebench result is normal, and I'll be celebrating. I do want to thank you once again for your willingness and time to help me. I very much appreciate it. You're a good man, Andy.

I got it working! Reading that guide made me try different things, for example trying different boot flags, such as: PCIRootUID=1, and GE=Yes with different AtiConfig=. I dumped the PCIRootUID=1, and just tried different framebuffers. The one that worked is Hydrilla. Weird
Very weird because an incorrect framebuffer personality should not be causing a kernel panic related to the cpu and duckweed is the correct framebuffer to use for a 6870 with a dvi connected display!! Your results look ok though (I get 57.84 on my spare hack with an i5 and 6870 although to be fair the i5 is clocked at 4.4 in that machine lol) so I'd just leave it alone now and wonder about it later.

{censored}. I jumped to conclusions without making further tests. After I restarted, I was back to square 1; same kernel panic. Seems that was a one-time lucky boot. I kept trying different FB, but they all resulted in the same KP. I then tried with boot falg: PCIRootUID=O, GE=Y, AtiConfig=Duckweed, and got another one-time lucky boot. After a restart, it failed again. Now I'm back at GE=No.

And to answer your previous question, I originally build my hackingtosh with one drive, and followed a guide that required your AndyBood CD for 10.6.7. That was working great. I then bought another drive so that I could use the xMove method to upgrade to Lion. Before, I cloned my original drive, so I had two identical (except of course for the bootloaders) drives. I tried xMove on drive 1, but it constantly failed. Then drive 2 would not boot because it did not have to bootloaders, so I run your CD on that drive. Oddly enough, I also had a hard time finding working kexts for my graphics card for that drive. I somehow managed to get drive 2 to boot (boots with GE=No, but I haven't tried GE=Yes on that drive). I then followed your guide on this thread to do a clean install of Lion on drive 1, and here I am. So, to sum up, I have 2 separate drives, one with SL, and one with Lion. Both drives have Chameleon installed on them.

Hope this helps to figure out the problem.

Andy you are the man! Just updated my system from SL to Lion absolutely hassle free with your guide, no need to install from scratch! a23ac4.jpg Just need to fix the HDMI audio and TRIM for the SSD, but the rest looks okay so far. Thanks a bunch. smile.gif Edit: all works now, just had to need to fix permissions. I'm happy now. smile.gif

Bism4rck, How is your approach for the HDMI audio fix? Do you have the wakening solution ?

My mobo P8H67M-Pro, Vapor-X HD6850, 8GB ram, 128SSD without TRIM & 1T for backup works with Andy Bootloader 5.

Andy Bootloader 5 Non-pro package works with my GA-EP45-DS3L except the audio still cannot fix, display 8800GTS. I think the audio chip set require 8888 kext? Any clue or suggestion? I have not try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (newest version).

Sorry to be so insistent. I keep reading threads and I found out that when I run the command bdmesg in terminal, I get this:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/smbios.plist] 403 bytes.

SMBus CmdReg: 0x3

Scanning SMBus [8086:1c22], mmio: 0xfe724004, ioport: 0xf000, hostc: 0x1

SPD[0] (size): 146 @0x50

Slot: 0 Type 24 4096MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1600MHz Vendor=G Skill Intl

PartNo=F3-12800CL9-4GBXL SerialNo=00000000

SPD[0] (size): 146 @0x51

Slot: 1 Type 24 4096MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1600MHz Vendor=G Skill Intl

SPD[0] (size): 146 @0x52

Slot: 2 Type 24 4096MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1600MHz Vendor=G Skill Intl

SPD[0] (size): 146 @0x53

Slot: 3 Type 24 4096MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1600MHz Vendor=G Skill Intl

SPD[0] (size): 255 @0x54

SPD[0] (size): 255 @0x55

SPD[0] (size): 255 @0x56

SPD[0] (size): 255 @0x57

CPU is Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, family 0x6, model 0x2a

Other people's results do show ATI VGA controller:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0

ATI VGA Controller [1002:6738] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Framebuffer @0xD0000000 MMIO @0xFDDC0000 I/O Port @0x0000DE00 ROM Addr @0x00000000

ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space

ATI Barts AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB (Duckweed) [1002:6738] (subsys [1682:3100]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

and another example:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0

ATI VGA Controller [1002:68f9] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Unsupported card!

Does this mean anything relevant?

{censored}. I jumped to conclusions without making further tests. After I restarted, I was back to square 1; same kernel panic. Seems that was a one-time lucky boot. I kept trying different FB, but they all resulted in the same KP. I then tried with boot falg: PCIRootUID=O, GE=Y, AtiConfig=Duckweed, and got another one-time lucky boot. After a restart, it failed again. Now I'm back at GE=No.

And to answer your previous question, I originally build my hackingtosh with one drive, and followed a guide that required your AndyBood CD for 10.6.7. That was working great. I then bought another drive so that I could use the xMove method to upgrade to Lion. Before, I cloned my original drive, so I had two identical (except of course for the bootloaders) drives. I tried xMove on drive 1, but it constantly failed. Then drive 2 would not boot because it did not have to bootloaders, so I run your CD on that drive. Oddly enough, I also had a hard time finding working kexts for my graphics card for that drive. I somehow managed to get drive 2 to boot (boots with GE=No, but I haven't tried GE=Yes on that drive). I then followed your guide on this thread to do a clean install of Lion on drive 1, and here I am. So, to sum up, I have 2 separate drives, one with SL, and one with Lion. Both drives have Chameleon installed on them.

Hope this helps to figure out the problem.

And if you press f8 after post screen and select the lion drive to boot from and use graphicsenabler=y does it work?

Sorry to be so insistent. I keep reading threads and I found out that when I run the command bdmesg in terminal, I get this: Other people's results do show ATI VGA controller: and another example: Does this mean anything relevant?

Yup, It means you are not using graphicsenabler

Andy what kind of mouse are you use? Im using Magic Mouse but frequently get stuck for 10 second sometimes so slowing. is there a any way to fix this?

I use a razer deathadder and it works fine.

And if you press f8 after post screen and select the lion drive to boot from and use graphicsenabler=y does it work?

I tried that this morning when I first booted my computer (without haven't read this yet), and yes, it did work, although I used GE=Yes, AC=Duckweed. I haven't restarted since, because I fear the problem comes back when I restart. Right now my boot.plist has GE=No, but I'm starting to suspect that when boot.plist has GE=Yes, that's when the problem occurs. The only two times I was able to boot with GE=Yes as boot flags yesterday, my boot.plist had GE=No. The problem came when I changed the boot.plist to try the flags I used on Chameleon, i.e., GE=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed.

I really hope this can narrow down the causes. Thanks again, Andy.

UPDATE: Ok, I just tested that theory, and it proved right. My boot.plist has GE=No and I haven't touched it. I restarted, used the same boot flags on Chameleon GE=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed, and I was able to boot with no problem. Card is recognized, DVD Player works, etc. So, adding GE=Yes to the boot.plist is what causes the problem.

UPDATE: Ok, I just tested that theory, and it proved right. My boot.plist has GE=No and I haven't touched it. I restarted, used the same boot flags on Chameleon GE=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed, and I was able to boot with no problem. Card is recognized, DVD Player works, etc. So, adding GE=Yes to the boot.plist is what causes the problem.

Paste the contents of your boot.plist that is causing problems (Im still not convinced unless the plist has an error in it thats causing an issue).

I think it's more likely that when you try and boot you are defaulting to the hdd with snow leopard installed and loading an old version of chameleon from that drive but you then select lion however chameleon is loading the extra folder (kexts, dsdt and smbios etc) from the boot drive rather than the lion drive - thats what you proved by successfully booting using f8 to select the boot drive. If that is the case then you can fix it by running the p8p67pro package from cd 5 on the snow leopard partition AFTEr deleting teh existing Extra folder (back it up first if you are going to try this).

This is my current .plist. The only thing I've change in the past is GE=Yes, and maybe adding the lines <key>AtiConfig</key> <string>Duckweed</string>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

</dict>

</plist>

This is what my /Extra folder looks like:

f5Quh.jpg

I don't know if it's relevant or not (or if it's normal or not), but I don't have a org.chameleon.Boot.plist in there.

I don't know if it's relevant or not (or if it's normal or not), but I don't have a org.chameleon.Boot.plist in there.

You wont have an org.chameleon.Boot.plist unless you are using one of the latest builds of chameleon - it was renamed.

Is that the extra folder from your lion partition or from your snow partition?

It's from my Lion drive.

Thats what I thought and my bet is thats not the drive that you have set as your default boot drive in the bios. On your snow partition do you still have an extensions folder and extensions.mkext within the extra folder?

Hmm. Now you got me wondering. I thought I did have my Lion drive set as the default boot drive on the bios because when Chameleon loads. the default drive is my Lion drive (i.e., it is the one with the arrow when I press any key). Before I changed the drive order in the bios, my Snow drive was the default drive on Chameleon. Thing is, both drives are the same model, so it's pretty hard to know which one is which in the bios.

And yes, I do have an extensions folder and extensions.mkext in /Extra on my Snow drive:

Ed6BT.jpg

And yes, I do have an extensions folder and extensions.mkext in /Extra on my Snow drive:

Cool, in that case I believe the correct way to fix this so that you can boot both os's no matter which drive you boot from is to do the following..

1 - Leave your lion install alone for now - its not the problem

2 - boot your snow leopard install and make a copy of the extra folder

3 - install the P8P67Pro package from boot cd 5 onto your snow leopard partition (http://www.mediafire...ytr7cp3gh46ovka if you dont already have it)

4 - reboot and it should work

You may need to copy your com.apple.Boot.plist back across from your backed up extra folder if you have made any changes to it to replace the default one installed by the package (dont copy the extensions folder or extensions.mkext back that will break it all over again).

Up to you if you want to try the above but I strongly believe it will fix the problem and is the correct way to do it given your hdd configuration.

You, sir, are brilliant. This totally worked. I wanted to run a few testes before I could confirm this, but after testing booting Lion and booting Snow, and restarting, and shutting down, and so on, I can finally confirm that I can boot to both Lion and Snow with GE=Yes set on both boot.plist's.

One thing I tried that did not work: Overclocking. When I messed with the settings on the bios, I rebooted and got the nasty kernel panic again after Chameleon. I then hit the restart button, and the same kernel panic came up. I had to restart, load defaults on bios, completely shut down the computer and wait a few minutes to boot again. After that, it all seems ok. You previously mentioned that you are OCing on you machine, so why do you think mine is being difficult? BTW, I tried to OC to 4GHz following this guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

I don't NEED to OC, but it would be nice to get more juice out of this system. If you feel it would complicate things too much to go over the OC process, then don't bother. If it's something simple, maybe you can share your bios settings or point to another guide. But either way, you've proved to be a really cool guy. Hats off to you. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Respect.

PS.- Forgot to mention that before I tired to upgrade to Lion, I was running an OC on Snow. I set defaults on the bios before trying the Lion adventure, but I saved my OC settings on the bios. These same are the ones that failed this time.

You, sir, are brilliant. This totally worked. I wanted to run a few testes before I could confirm this, but after testing booting Lion and booting Snow, and restarting, and shutting down, and so on, I can finally confirm that I can boot to both Lion and Snow with GE=Yes set on both boot.plist's. One thing I tried that did not work: Overclocking. When I messed with the settings on the bios, I rebooted and got the nasty kernel panic again after Chameleon. I then hit the restart button, and the same kernel panic came up. I had to restart, load defaults on bios, completely shut down the computer and wait a few minutes to boot again. After that, it all seems ok. You previously mentioned that you are OCing on you machine, so why do you think mine is being difficult? BTW, I tried to OC to 4GHz following this guide:
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

I don't NEED to OC, but it would be nice to get more juice out of this system. If you feel it would complicate things too much to go over the OC process, then don't bother. If it's something simple, maybe you can share your bios settings or point to another guide. But either way, you've proved to be a really cool guy. Hats off to you. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Respect. PS.- Forgot to mention that before I tired to upgrade to Lion, I was running an OC on Snow. I set defaults on the bios before trying the Lion adventure, but I saved my OC settings on the bios. These same are the ones that failed this time.

Glad to hear it's working!

I have 2 p8p67 pro systems - one a revision 3.1 overclocked to 4.8 and the other a first edition board overclocked to 4.4 (stock cooler). Both systems use an i5 2500k.

To overclock to 4.0 should be a simple case of setting the bios to overclock by all cores and setting the multiplier to 40 - that should be all thats needed as far as the bios is concerned.

However the overclock wont work (it will be ignored by lion and snow) unless you install speedstepper or use a modified bios which is a whole different matter (there are threads on this already).

Is it wortth the aggravation? Probably not unless you are bored and like screwing around with these sort of things.

This not great guide for the OC. I tried this guide and dont get good result. Im using 4.8 OC all the time in my Lion. There is video on Youtube for our boards and there is some pictures on Tonymacs forum. Im using this both guides same time. My cinebench score really really high. All render time now really fast in C4D and After Effetcs.

Glad to hear it's working!

I have 2 p8p67 pro systems - one a revision 3.1 overclocked to 4.8 and the other a first edition board overclocked to 4.4 (stock cooler). Both systems use an i5 2500k.

To overclock to 4.0 should be a simple case of setting the bios to overclock by all cores and setting the multiplier to 40 - that should be all thats needed as far as the bios is concerned.

However the overclock wont work (it will be ignored by lion and snow) unless you install speedstepper or use a modified bios which is a whole different matter (there are threads on this already).

Is it wortth the aggravation? Probably not unless you are bored and like screwing around with these sort of things.

Lol. It's not exactly that I'm bored, but I work with video and I end up doing a lot of render and video conversion, so it would be nice if I could speed up those process'. I started digging into this issue with a few searches on google and on both major forums, but I can't seem to find a good starting point. I won't bother you with this stuff, but if you remember a good guide or thread of the top of your head for OC'ing hackingtosh, please let me know. Thanks again, my friend.

This not great guide for the OC. I tried this guide and dont get good result. Im using 4.8 OC all the time in my Lion. There is video on Youtube for our boards and there is some pictures on Tonymacs forum. Im using this both guides same time. My cinebench score really really high. All render time now really fast in C4D and After Effetcs.

Thanks for replying, Telepati. As I mentioned to Andy, I can't seem to find the guides you are talking about. The youtube videos I've found so far are more about guys bragging about their system than actual guides. If you can point me to the video and the Tonymac pictures, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers, guys.

Hi Andy! Thx 4 your guide..

I installed everything on my P8P67Pro rev 3.1 (as media usb3 controller)

But usb3 ports doesn't work even with a usb2 hard drives o pen drives attached.. (I can see them in system information, but they can't mount)

It's there a way to fix this ??? anyone has do it already?

thx !