P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

I did a clean install, and reinstalled this package for my P8P67 Pro, and everything is working fine, except the P-staes and C-states, I still get:

Customizing SystemID with : 40ea001f-c600-0010-41fd-f46d0421b8f7
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 31771 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!

I have an i5 2500k cpu

msr(301): platform_info 70012100
msr(305): flex_ratio 000e0000
Sticking with [BCLK: 100Mhz, Bus-Ratio: 330]
CPU: Brand String:			 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU: Vendor/Family/ExtFamily:  0x756e6547/0x6/0x0
CPU: Model/ExtModel/Stepping:  0x2a/0x2/0x7
CPU: MaxCoef/CurrCoef:		 0x0/0x21
CPU: MaxDiv/CurrDiv:		   0x0/0x0
CPU: TSCFreq:				  3300MHz
CPU: FSBFreq:				  100MHz
CPU: CPUFreq:				  3300MHz
CPU: NoCores/NoThreads:		4/4
CPU: Features:				 0x0000027f

I have andy's DSDT.aml file, earlier I had bios 1704, but now i updated to 2001 beta.

where do i get the SSDT? or how can i make it myself?

and an important question: without the C- and P- states, what will happen? the CPU will run all the time at full capacity? and how can i check the current state of the cpu? is there a tool?

Andy? are you out there? Any ideas?

I've answered the audio question at least 3 times already within various posts here containing details on how to fix it. If you search you will find it (bottom of page 14 on this very thread for example!).

ahh {censored}..

after install, i ran the installer package for my sabertooth but after reboot, still no sound, and itunes keeps crashing.

Do i need to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

I feel like im totally in over my head right now

Hi Andy,

As you have seen my response on tonymacx forum, I've been messing with DSDT to try to eliminate the use of some kexts, but for now the only thing I was able to do is to fix the HDA Enabler at a DSDT level, now for the Realtek 892 audio I need only AppleHDA and ALC892HD.

Hi Andy,

As you have seen my response on tonymacx forum, I've been messing with DSDT to try to eliminate the use of some kexts, but for now the only thing I was able to do is to fix the HDA Enabler at a DSDT level, now for the Realtek 892 audio I need only AppleHDA and ALC892HD.

Yup im in the same situation however am attempting to edit the latest bios file to fix the powermanagement issue - could end up with a bricked mobo but what the hell lol

Yup im in the same situation however am attempting to edit the latest bios file to fix the powermanagement issue - could end up with a bricked mobo but what the hell lol

I don't think you can brick the mobo, there is the self recovery mode.

You are trying to fix the MSR locking? that will be great :)

That recovery mode isnt as great as it sounds and it is pretty easy to brick the bios - the bios has to be at least partially intact for the crashfree stuff to run...

Ok I have edited bios version 2001 for the revision 3.1 P8P67 Pro and it seems to work ok, speedstep appears to be working (verified by running geekbench whilst overclocked 12,000 score and at standard 8,000 score. I'm not sure how I can test that its really clocking down at idle but its certainly clocking up and allowing me to use my overclock.

So no need for nullcpupowermanagement.kext for me anymore :)

Sleep well that sort of works but my system instantly woke up again when I tried it but I think that could be my 6970 causing problems.

Ok I have edited bios version 2001 for the revision 3.1 P8P67 Pro and it seems to work ok, speedstep appears to be working (verified by running geekbench whilst overclocked 12,000 score and at standard 8,000 score. I'm not sure how I can test that its really clocking down at idle but its certainly clocking up and allowing me to use my overclock.

Sleep well that sort of works but my system instantly woke up again when I tried it but I think that could be my 6970 causing problems.

What modifications did you make for the BIOS? I like to mess with BIOSes and Firmwares too :)

Maybe we can also include a modified DSDT table directly into the BIOS (Surely can be done, we got it from there..), and then the Hackintosh will become so 100% Vanilla, sort off (as we still need drivers for lan, audio and bluetooth).

What modifications did you make for the BIOS? I like to mess with BIOSes and Firmwares too :(

Maybe we can also include a modified DSDT table directly into the BIOS (Surely can be done, we got it from there..), and then the Hackintosh will become so 100% Vanilla, sort off (as we still need drivers for lan, audio and bluetooth).

Use phoenixtool v1.91, load the bios file from from the Asus site that you wish to edit, wait for it to do whatever the hell it insisits on doing, select asus as the manufacturer, click advanced, select 'no slic' and 'allow user to modify other modules' click done, click 'go' and wait for the message telling you that 'you can now make manual alterations to modules in the dump file' - DO NOT CLICK OK!.

Open the dump folder and look for 2 19kb sized files named 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_370 and 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_440 (the last 3 digits may vary depending on which board and bios you are hacking around with), open both files in the hex editor of your choice and search for this hex string 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 and replace it with 00 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 00. Save both files back to the dump folder and then switch back to phoenixtool and click 'OK', it will then repack your changes back into a a new bios file BUT check the log file - if there are any errors at all do NOT attempt to flash the resulting rom.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING - ONE MISTAKE AND YOU WILL BRICK YOUR BIOS.

Seriously - DO NOT do this unless you accept the fact that you could end up with a bricked pc - it only takes one slight mistake!

P.S I read which hex string to edit in another post - so it's not my work or findings - credit is due elsewhere!

Hi all,

I've pretty much got everything working on my P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1) now, except:

- Sleep/wake

- USB 3.0 (different controller than previous revs)

- Ethernet (not a big deal because I use wireless anyway)

I've just used speedstepper and chucked my nullcpupowermanagement.kext(s --both in E/E and S/L/E) and that seems to have worked, but I'm having the same automatic re-awakening on sleep issue as Andy.

I initially thought it might be my Mighty Mouse or Rocketfish bluetooth adapter (I had a problem like this on a previous system with these components) but even with the mouse turned off first the system still won't sleep properly.

It seems to try to sleep repeatedly -- everything spins down, then starts to wake again over and over -- it only stops when I press the power button which wakes the system back up all the way.

@Andy -- why do you think your 6970 is the issue? I have a Sapphire 6870, would the same thing apply?

Can anyone think of a solution? Or a way of getting my USB and NIC working? :D

On an unrelated note, thought it might be worth sharing, anyone getting that annoying 'popping' from their speakers every time a sound event happens should try editing their smbios.plist with the Mac Pro defs. The 'popping' happens because Macs with internal speakers turn them on and off to save power (this applies to iMacs and all MacBook models), so if the definition is set to one of these, you get the popping. Hope that might help someone :P

I've pretty much got everything working on my P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1) now, except:

- Sleep/wake

- USB 3.0 (different controller than previous revs)

- Ethernet (not a big deal because I use wireless anyway)

I've just used speedstepper and chucked my nullcpupowermanagement.kext(s --both in E/E and S/L/E) and that seems to have worked, but I'm having the same automatic re-awakening on sleep issue as Andy.

I've also tried SpeedStepper, and in my case sleep does work fine (and with it I eliminated nullcpupowermanagement), Andy's BIOS patch will eliminate the need for speedstepper, but for now i'll stick with the software patch, later when I have time (in case I need to recover bios or change mobo) i'll try the BIOS patch (I already made a new BIOS file, but will not load it now).

for the ethernet, shouldn't the P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 contain the same as the normal Rev 3.0 which is the Intel E1000? it is working just fine for me, there is a kext for that since long time, and it is provided in the package of Andy and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].....

I've also tried SpeedStepper, and in my case sleep does work fine (and with it I eliminated nullcpupowermanagement), Andy's BIOS patch will eliminate the need for speedstepper, but for now i'll stick with the software patch, later when I have time (in case I need to recover bios or change mobo) i'll try the BIOS patch (I already made a new BIOS file, but will not load it now).

for the ethernet, shouldn't the P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 contain the same as the normal Rev 3.0 which is the Intel E1000? it is working just fine for me, there is a kext for that since long time, and it is provided in the package of Andy and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].....

You were right out the ethernet, I just needed to delete all the interfaces from sysprefs/network and after a reboot it's fine and dandy :)

Now if I can just figure out sleep and USB 3.0...

Use phoenixtool v1.91, load the bios file from from the Asus site ......

Thanks Andy that worked for me. I had been having issues with speed stepper. After changing the BIOS I get the four different P states I've set in the BIOS for 1,2,3,4 cores plus Pstate 16.

You can check the speed stepper thread on how to load MSRDumper.kext which will show you if it works:

Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 
Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Oct 19 21:52:59 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 
Oct 19 21:53:00 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Oct 19 21:53:00 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 

BTW for those interested I've attached the BIOS ROM for a P8P67 (first rev) This is obviously at your own risk, but it worked fine for my board.

P8P67_ASUS_2001_SLIC.ROM.zip

BTW for those interested I've attached the BIOS ROM for a P8P67 (first rev) This is obviously at your own risk, but it worked fine for my board.

As the man states this is definitely at your OWN risk (although you can buy a preflashed replacement bios chip for a tenner so maybe get one first?).

It is quite easy to make a mistake when editing the bios and ez flash seems to not care very much and will flash a garbage rom just as easily as a valid one (yup I have done it on my original b2 aka first revision P8P67 Pro).

I have every faith that peebee's rom is fine but make sure you understand the risks and do NOT try cross flashing it to a different board - even a different revision !

Think that just about has you covered fella lol !

Thanks Andy that worked for me. I had been having issues with speed stepper. After changing the BIOS I get the four different P states I've set in the BIOS for 1,2,3,4 cores plus Pstate 16.

Is sleep working correctly on your system? Mine will sleep, instantly wake and go into a coma! lol

Mine goes into sleep, stays asleep, then I can wake it up by hitting the space bar, but the screen stays blank plus there is a red LED flashing slowly on the motherboard.

Only way to get it back up is hold the power button until he switches off completely and then restart.

I'm using this sleepenabler.kext:

http://www.osx86.net/view/1771-sleepenable...atest_beta.html

Mine goes into sleep, stays asleep, then I can wake it up by hitting the space bar, but the screen stays blank plus there is a red LED flashing slowly on the motherboard.

Only way to get it back up is hold the power button until he switches off completely and then restart.

Have you tried without using the sleepenabler kext and just using the modified bios?

I just did. The behavior is almost identical.

Goes into sleep, stays asleep, but then I can only wake it up by pushing the power button (not the space bar), but also now the screen stays blank plus there is a red LED flashing slowly on the motherboard.

I've never had sleep work properly on this board, so I had given up hope it ever would.

You can check the speed stepper thread on how to load MSRDumper.kext which will show you if it works:

Oct 19 21:52:58 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16) 
Oct 19 21:53:00 HOMESERVER kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 47 48 49 50 

And what about before the BIOS patch? with everything clean, with nullcpupowermanagement I get just one p-state, 33, default for my 2500k. While with the sleepstepper patch, i get 16 and 33, nothing in between. If patching the bios gives the rest then i'll go for it :wacko:

What you describe is the main sleep problem: without binary patches, and only nullcpupowermanagment.kext, putting my computer to sleep will turn monitor off, harddisks stop spinning, but fans stay on (cpu and case). and in no way I can let it wakeup, only solution is to turn off then back on.

But when I used Sleepstepper patch (without nullcpupowermanagement.kext or sleepenabler.kext), it fixes it: putting to sleep will make everything turn off (harddisks/fans/lights/all), only the power led keeps blinking, and pressing any key will wake the computer up, nearly instantly, with everything working.....

And what about before the BIOS patch? with everything clean, with nullcpupowermanagement I get just one p-state, 33, default for my 2500k. While with the sleepstepper patch, i get 16 and 33, nothing in between. If patching the bios gives the rest then i'll go for it :wacko:

Yes that was the behavior I had with only speed stepper patch applied (16 and 34 in case of 2600k) regardless of the over clock settings in my BIOS. By changing the BIOS I now get the behavior above. Added benefit of "fixing" the BIOS is obviously that you will only have to do this once.

But when I used Sleepstepper patch (without nullcpupowermanagement.kext or sleepenabler.kext), it fixes it: putting to sleep will make everything turn off (harddisks/fans/lights/all), only the power led keeps blinking, and pressing any key will wake the computer up, nearly instantly, with everything working.....

I have deleted both nullcpupowermanagement and sleepenabler.kext from S/L/E but still the same behavior. Is there any other setting that is needed in either BIOS or MACOSX?

Just to double check,

there is currently no workaround for audio in 10.7.2?

The copy of lion I just got from the app store is the most recent one so im really hoping there is something in the works...

A little off topic, but I switched recently to an external USB driven amplifier and speakers from Teufel which are natively supported by MacOS.

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/pc/concept-b-...7c966adc3a592c1

This avoids the hassle of the built in sound card plus maybe more importantly it sounds significantly better

Yes that was the behavior I had with only speed stepper patch applied (16 and 34 in case of 2600k) regardless of the over clock settings in my BIOS. By changing the BIOS I now get the behavior above. Added benefit of "fixing" the BIOS is obviously that you will only have to do this once.

Ok, then I'll do it too... I prepared the patched bios file and will be flashing it tonight :)

(Just for confirmation, this will not break Windows 7?)

I have deleted both nullcpupowermanagement and sleepenabler.kext from S/L/E but still the same behavior. Is there any other setting that is needed in either BIOS or MACOSX?

I read somewhere that it might be the video or audio card interfering with the sleep?

Yesterday I did some testing, and my sleep still works and perfectly: when I press the power button (or select sleep from the menu), the PC will go to a deep sleep state in less than a second !!!!! while waking up and going directly to the mac desktop takes up to 3 seconds, way faster than Windows :)