[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@DoiX - I thought that you of all people would understand that the audio issue is not useless and that focussing energy on small things like this are as much as a challenge for the sake of it than for the overall result =p You should try out antipop for a while, see how nice it is not to have the lag or popping with the audio =)

After all, I think you will admit that hackintoshing is a 'hobby' as well as a useful skill. I personally quite enjoy trying to resolve issues, both my own and others =)

It could just be me, but it sounds like you are getting tired of this hobby, perhaps it's time you gave it a break for a couple of weeks. Give your mind a rest, then you can better tackle the remaining issues =)

Seriously, the poping sound is the last of my problems and annoyances. I've had hackintoshes for years and they all had that poping sound, you get use to it... not to mention that if you don't have any app that deploys a sound when your PC powers up/wakes you don't hear that poping sound. And you yourself said it's something present on real macs as well... so seriously, focus on the brightness thing if you want a challenge.

Hackintosh is a hobby, the skills you use to solve problems are not OS dependent. By this i mean that if you learn something here you can apply it on windows or linux, just in diff areas.

I'm not getting tired, i just don't see why you would care so much about the poping sound...

Btw, you can make an applescript that sets the output to headphones when you shutdown/power up the pc, and then set it back to speakers after the sound is initialized.

P.S You've mentioned the xps_alc_665.kext or whatever the name was. Here is an AppleHDA that has the injection embedded in the plist.info. Don't forget to remove the 665.kext.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edited by DoiX

Well, the popping sound is not actually what annoys me, it is the lag that occurs after the sound card awakes from its idle state, causing a delay between the action and the resulting sound occurring. The popping sound doesn't really bother me.

If you read on the link I provided you will see that it is caused by an introduction to the sound card drivers where the sound card will 'sleep' when not it use. This did not happen with older versions of osx from before 10.5.6. So there must be a way to remove it.

I will try to fix the brightness too, but for me at least, the sound lag is more annoying. That is just my personal opinion and there is no point arguing about that..

I prefer to use a legacy kext or inject the pin configurations via dsdt than to use a fully patched applehda, so the file you posted is not of much use, although I will give it a try just to see anyway =)

At last I have succedded in installing osx!!! THANKS A LOT!!

The only problem is sleeping, but I'll try to solve by downgrading my bios to a06.

A have a very litlte question.

Is it dangerous (brick) to downgrade Bios?

Is there some how to test if my system is working properly, I mean the speed of the CPU, etc...?

Thanks again!!

At last I have succedded in installing osx!!! THANKS A LOT!!

The only problem is sleeping, but I'll try to solve by downgrading my bios to a06.

A have a very litlte question.

Is it dangerous (brick) to downgrade Bios?

Is there some how to test if my system is working properly, I mean the speed of the CPU, etc...?

Thanks again!!

Upgraded and downgrade mine several times. No Problems occured. NEVER abort the progress and you'll be fine.

Only thing, if downgrading, the initiating tool reminds you, that it's going to flash an older version than current installed one. But don't worry - just klick OK.

Come on now... let's not all get tetchy about what issue is more 'important' to fix... That's why all the other 'Devs' move on they get fed up of people asking (read demanding in some cases) them to fix something that they only do as a hobby/for personal interest.

Glad to see though it's prompting other people to learn how to fix things themselves - the more the better surely!

Can't say I've noticed the lag/pop myself - just my personal opinion but I'd much rather effort get concentrated on the 540m lol

Geekbench. If you get a score between 6000-8000, you're good. I get 7800 btw. i7 - bloody fast SSD - bloody fast 8gb Ram, not so fast.

Hmmmm I've just ran it on mine and for some reason I only get 5180, I haven't changed anything to my system since I got 10.7.2 working last november..

Although on the results processors are shown as 0 and cores as 4, is this normal?

Im running an i5 and 4gb ram.. SMBios set to MacBookPro8,2

i need help getting the usb work.. the usb2.0 port is not recognized and when i plug in my flash disk into the usb 3 ports, there's a lot of white messages on the screen and the last one is "system uptime in nano seconds...." how can i fix that?

I used 32bit because it was free.

I'm also using 3TS ssdt for temperature and battery life concerns :)

5k is still admirable.

Doix, you have any further replies about the SSDT tables for the GT540?

I have a i5-2430M, 4Go DDR3 1333Mhz, nVidia GT540M and 500Go HDD and I get 6500+ with Geekbench 64bit

Just stumbeled upon something very interesting related to our Intel Wifi-Cards. I have been following this guy for some time and he has made significant progress lately.

Now, there is some hope that these will work with full airport compatibility eventually! See:

https://www.facebook.com/mercurysquad

It would be nice to get my original wireless N+Bluetooth adapter working...

I have a i5-2430M, 4Go DDR3 1333Mhz, nVidia GT540M and 500Go HDD and I get 6500+ with Geekbench 64bit

Heres my result:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/561821

Still don't understand why Processors is at 0? Im going to put my test hard drive back in this weekend to have a fiddle with the latest developments and updates, Im buggered if I'm going to mess up this one :worried_anim: , worked flawlessly for months now thanks to Doix's and everyone else's hard work on the forum...

I don't understand, because it seems to understand there are 4 cores/threads on it, even with 0 CPU unit... Weird, when you know a 2310M as only 2 cores with 4 threads...!

When you boot in -v and look at the lines of the CPU, does it seem to be initialized?! I think that you would better make a fresh install of OS X, to be sure there's not something wrong with it.

I'll post you my Geekbench score in a couple of minutes, we have nearly the same config :) The difference is CPU (2430M) and GPU (GT540M)...

Here's my Geekbench score (64-bit) : http://browse.geekbe...ekbench2/561836

And here is a 32-bit one, to compare with your 32-bit one : http://browse.geekbe...ekbench2/561839

Edited by Rockball73

I don't understand, because it seems to understand there are 4 cores/threads on it, even with 0 CPU unit... Weird! When you boot in -v and look at the lines of the CPU, does it seem to be initialized?!

I think it is, just restarted it in -v. Ran Geekbench in WIn 7 Ultimate just and was around the same score as with OSX, hmmm maybe the 20m difference in processor makes the difference :angry: damn it. Will see what results I get at the weekend with my other HD in with a fresh install...

I think there's something wrong because your memory score is lower than mine too, but we have the same : 4Go @1333Mhz... I've +/-1000 more than you have for both memory score. And for the CPU I've +/-2000... I don't think it is so different between a 2430 and a 2410... !

Try with a fresh install. I know that under Win7, in 32-bit (because I didn't buy the 64-bit one for Win7, only for OS X) I've the same score than under OS X 32-bit mode (+/- 6000).

I never got around to test the reader, in theory it should be supported since we have drivers.. try booting with arch=i386 maybe the drivers are not fully 64bit compliant. Oh, if you have speedstep patch you might want to install the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext because you will get KP.