[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@ Maxey :

Sorry for the stupid question...again the whole folder "StartUp" or only the contents? :|

You can delete the whole folder, then rebuild cache :)

Yeah i think the right one for me is the one with the string of numbers at the end. I have it already right now in my /extras folder , can copy it there again though.

If it's the one you've got, then I think it's good.

Try to reboot and let us know if it did the job.

• Like 1

@ Maxey :

Sorry for the stupid question...again the whole folder "StartUp" or only the contents? :|

You can delete the whole folder, then rebuild cache :)

Yeah i think the right one for me is the one with the string of numbers at the end. I have it already right now in my /extras folder , can copy it there again though.

If it's the one you've got, then I think it's good.

Try to reboot and let us know if it did the job.

Good will do that...right now on Win 7 again....as of course....since i shut down the pc last night it wont boot this morning ;)

Rebuilding caches with kext wizard should do i guess?

Might first delete that and then install chimera via ###### again. And then let run the kext wizard again :)

Good will do that...right now on Win 7 again....as of course....since i shut down the pc last night it wont boot this morning ;)

Rebuilding caches with kext wizard should do i guess?

Might first delete that and then install chimera via ###### again. And then let run the kext wizard again :)

Yes, Kext Wizard, or another soft from your choice but that's always the one I use since KextUtility broke my permissions once or twice...

I hope it will be good for you.

• Like 1

I've got my new 64gb SSD installed. Running good, and battery life shows ±6hrs from full charge.

I"m getting bad video artifacts/tearing occasionally. I can't pinpoint exactly when it starts/if there is a cause. it seems like sometimes you get a good boot and it works fine, other times it works for a little while but once it starts i have to reboot to get it to quit.

I've tried my hand at Mountain Lion, but i can't seem to get it to boot into the installer.

DoiX any news on getting the Nvidia card working?

Yes, Kext Wizard, or another soft from your choice but that's always the one I use since KextUtility broke my permissions once or twice...

I hope it will be good for you.

Well it finally works in a way that i can boot with the iAtkos CD and pressing F8. If i try to boot from hard drive directly i get a boot0: error. So looks like my installation attempt via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] didn't work. I am glad though, that i can boot regularly in Lion now ;)

Thanks for the help!

Well it finally works in a way that i can boot with the iAtkos CD and pressing F8. If i try to boot from hard drive directly i get a boot0: error. So looks like my installation attempt via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] didn't work. I am glad though, that i can boot regularly in Lion now ;)

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome, but I'm not of many help since I'm "young" in Hackintoshing...

That would be perfect if you could from HDD now...

You're welcome, but I'm not of many help since I'm "young" in Hackintoshing...

That would be perfect if you could from HDD now...

Still of great help!

Yeah perfect would be a boot from the HDD and Sound of the inbuilt speakers ;) i would be in Hackintosh wonderland ;)

Can someone plea try something to check I'm not going mad:

Still can't work out this issue with graphics performance - Under 10.7.3 if I launch Mission Control with no open windows the transition is smooth, however with a window open you can see the window doesn't resize smoothly, but kind of jumps from big to small and back again as you exit. Launchpad runs OK as seemingly does everything else (2410 i5 8GB Ram 512mb VRAM)

However under 10.8 DP1 the transition to mission control/login/notifiacation centre etc is silky smooth, and windows resize smoothly just like on a real mac under 10.7 (I think)

So...what do your systems do? I installed using iAtkos L1, using latest DoiX DSDT and the i5 SSDT linked previously.

I'm going to install ML now, i'll report back if my work related to the Nvidia card will get us further in ML.

All the people i PM'ed about the SSDT dumps didn't reply back but they have read it... shows how people want stuff yet are not willing to do anything.

@darren, i think it's driver related... as you've read in the past pages several people reported problems with the IGPU despite having the same device ID... probably in ML the driver is improved so thats why you have smooth graphics.

• Like 1

@DoiX - Fingers crossed for some magic in ML - Chimera 1.8 out as well, couple of G540M tweaks re identification. I tried the 10.8 kexts on 10.7 - did boot OK but nothing changed, so thats as far as I knew how to go! When it works ML is lovely - had it near perfect from my external drive, everything working as on Lion, can't get it to boot from internal without getting the 'waiting for root device' hang - gave up thought to wait till release in the end

@darren, I have the exact the thing happen to me, under Lion graphics are glitchy at times especially mission control. With ML all is smooth.

Could we possible steal some kext from ML to use on lion that might work better? Only question is which ones

They are not all compatible... it depends on their dependencies..

Anyway, i've damaged my boot in the same way maxey did, i 'm having the same errors :P time to fix it.. after i trace the problem.

Edited by DoiX

@darren, I have the exact the thing happen to me, under Lion graphics are glitchy at times especially mission control. With ML all is smooth.

Could we possible steal some kext from ML to use on lion that might work better? Only question is which ones

I replaced everything with intel in it, booted but no change

Anyway, i've damaged my boot in the same way maxey did, i 'm having the same errors :P time to fix it.. after i trace the problem.

So, I suppose ML isn't bootable from HDD at the moment?

I'll give it a try tonight... Installing on an external HDD.

Damn...its quite annoying as i know...well but having it for several times you get a routine fixing it :D

Well, i encountered an annoying thing, my windows partition got corrupted so much it stopped showing up as one and started being recognized as free space. This happened after i installed chimera 1.8 but i doubt it was related to it, most likely just an anomaly.

To fix my boot error i reinstalled the bootloader then used these commands in the terminal:

1. sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
2. sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0
3. flag 1
4. write
5. exit

from command 1. i got the root partition (it's the one with start - <low number value> ) command 2 allows me to modify the disk. command 3 sets the partition i choose (1 in my case) as active and command 4 saves the changes, it will ask you if you wan't to modify it, just input "y"

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1

Well, i encountered an annoying thing, my windows partition got corrupted so much it stopped showing up as one and started being recognized as free space. This happened after i installed chimera 1.8 but i doubt it was related to it, most likely just an anomaly.

To fix my boot error i reinstalled the bootloader then used these commands in the terminal:

1. sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
2. sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0
3. mark 1
4. write

from command 1. i got the root partition (it's the one with start - <low number value> ) command 2 allows me to modify the disk. command 3 sets the partition i choose (1 in my case) as active and command 4 saves the changes, it will ask you if you wan't to modify it, just input "y"

Might wanna put that at the end of your guide? Think its a not too seldom error ... up to you :)

You write you reinstalled your boot loader. Might i ask how?

I am still booting of the iAtkos DVD by pressing F8, installing with the ####### the 1.7 Chimera and then running kext Wizard didn't help me. I get the boot0: error (Which is strange as i simply restored a TM backup from a previously of the HDD running version of 10.7.2 )

@maxey, i simply re-installed the bootloader using the installer.... Chimera or the Chameleon from the zip birdibird posted on page 56 ( MLInstall.zip )

I'll update the tutorial with ML information when the second dev preview is released... right not it's not relevant nor is it stable enough for newbies to start installing it as main OS instead of Lion. As for the fdisk mbr fix i'll update it when i get confirmation it works in all cases.

@rockball, i gave up, formated and reinstall... didn't have anything important nor could i find anything relevant about this problem on the internet. But, if it happens to you guys and you have important data you can't loose, one solution is to use some data recovery soft, diskwarrior i think is a good one.

@ DoiX - Maybe you can help me... I've got an anooying problem with SSDT.

I downloaded the one that somebody (I don't remember who) posted here for i5 - 2430M. I placed it at the root of my OS X installed, like the previous one. And this member said to set Drop SSDT = Yes w/ PStatesEnabled=No and CStatesEnabled=No.

I did it, and rebooted my L502x.

It booted fine, then I launched Geekbench 64-bit and got 6700+ (when I had 6200-6300) with other SSDT, so, a good score!

But now, if I launch Windows and then come back to OS X, I got KP at boot...

Do you have any idea of what it could possibly be related to?

If I want to boot OS X after this KP, I have to boot Windows and edit my boot.plist to erase the Drop SSDT string...