[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Have a look here: http://www.insanelym...showtopic=22844

@Rockball73

I think that might have been the problem when I tried doing it so I used fdisk in OS X.

Did you try booting with -f and GraphicsEnabler=No? Not sure how much that would help.

-f not yet but with GraphicsEnabler=No yes, i did.

But i dont understand why the IAtkos DVD would not even start up anymore.

Also managed to have the mac partition active with the cmd tool. Uninstalling MacDrive did the trick ;) However i get a boot0 error now.

Yes, I forgot to tell you that if you run the diskpart command in Win7 with MacDrive installed, it won't work. I always did that while MacDrive uninstalled...

And about now, still unable to launch iAtkos install DVD? With OS X partition active... And if you set your Win7 partition active, isn't it working?

As far as I know, on my L502x, I have 2 partitions, Win7 and then OS X. Win7 is set as active, with Chimera installed on OS X partition and it works well!

Having the win partition active it simply boots into windows. Having the mac partition active i get the boot error.

Still freezing when trying to get into IAtkos...

I don't know how to fix it. That's weird because I've the same setup as you (concerning partitions) and it boots on Chimera even with Win7 partition set as active and bootloader installed on OS X partition.

Cannot get into mac at all anymore right now...not even rbootle cd boots into it,i used all 3 additional bootflags,like arch=i686 and GraphicsEnabler=No and busratio=20,it tells me "still waiting for root device"and earlier "Cant load kext com.apple.Geforce -failed to resolve library dependencies" and also " Couldnt alloc class NVKernel" and AudioAUUCDriver seems to have a problem too. IAtkos CD also freezes when it asks me to press a key or F8 at the beginning. Also freezes when i just let the timer run out of time so it would automatically start into IAtkos.

What the hell happened?

Erhm, your kernel cache got corrupted so os x booted in safe mode, when booting in safe mode you will get "still waiting for root device" error, but not always. It happens mostly when kext permissions are screwed up beside the kernel cache.

Hmm since i cannot boot into IAtkos i wonder if there is any way to install chimera or any bootloader from windows or something?

Manually by installing the 3-4 files in their appropriate location.. http://dl.dropbox.co....03.37%20PM.png and another boot file in the root partition. All of these files are hidden.

• Like 1

Erhm, your kernel cache got corrupted so os x booted in safe mode, when booting in safe mode you will get "still waiting for root device" error, but not always. It happens mostly when kext permissions are screwed up beside the kernel cache.

Manually by installing the 3-4 files in their appropriate location.. http://dl.dropbox.co....03.37%20PM.png

Ok, unfortunately...i already tried to get the IAtkos DVD to boot again by formatting my Mac Partition...So i need a fresh install or any way to get my TM Backups on my desired partition. However, even after i formatted the Mac Partition i cannot get the IAtkos DVD to boot...just freezes on me.

Is there a way to get my Kernel Cache straight again?

Ok, unfortunately...i already tried to get the IAtkos DVD to boot again by formatting my Mac Partition...So i need a fresh install or any way to get my TM Backups on my desired partition. However, even after i formatted the Mac Partition i cannot get the IAtkos DVD to boot...just freezes on me.

Is there a way to get my Kernel Cache straight again?

iAtkos DVD freezing - make sure you boot with the right bootflags - and also reburn it if that doesn't work.

@Maxey - Could be a number of things, most likely as DoiX suggested, your kext cache is corrupted, you can rebuild it by manually deleting the kext cache file from S/L/Caches.

Also I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the iatkos DVD at one stage, after a crash. It was the same as you describe where it woukd just hang after pressing a key to boot from the iatkos dvd. Turned out that somehow my MBR got corrupted and I had to repair it through the windows 7 cd. Probably not the same issue you are experiencing but you never know..

• Like 1

@Maxey - Could be a number of things, most likely as DoiX suggested, your kext cache is corrupted, you can rebuild it by manually deleting the kext cache file from S/L/Caches.

Also I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the iatkos DVD at one stage, after a crash. It was the same as you describe where it woukd just hang after pressing a key to boot from the iatkos dvd. Turned out that somehow my MBR got corrupted and I had to repair it through the windows 7 cd. Probably not the same issue you are experiencing but you never know..

Tried repairing, however the iAtkos DVD still crashes`...running a bit out of ideas :D

@ Maxey - So the Iatkos DVD definitely worked before you started having issues?

And you have tried reburning the DVD of course? What about other revisions of iAtkos, can you boot to those? Or even a SL DVD? If you cant boot to any of those then it sounds like a MBR issue like what I was having. Have you run the fixmbr command from recovery console?

Look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

• Like 1

@ Maxey - So the Iatkos DVD definitely worked before you started having issues?

And you have tried reburning the DVD of course? What about other revisions of iAtkos, can you boot to those? Or even a SL DVD? If you cant boot to any of those then it sounds like a MBR issue like what I was having. Have you run the fixmbr command from recovery console?

Look here:

http://www.microsoft...r.mspx?mfr=true

Finally!i ran the fixmbr and also bootsect /nt60 ALL and now iAtkos works again!thanks!restored my tm backup...only thing thats left is getting the bootloader to work again.will try to copy manually the chimera in the folders doix mentioned

Ok well i ran into some problem

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/bildschirmfoto20120224u.png/

in the screenshot i posted you can see my "usr" folder on the top left, next on the right to it the pictures doix posted and on the bottom the unpacked chimera 1.7 files.

-. I don't have the "local" folder. Does this make a difference?

- Should i simply copy all the respective files of the Chimera 1.7 folder into the "bin" and "i386" folder?

- Doix mentioned another boot file

another boot file in the root partition

Which boot file? the "org.Chameleon.Boot.plist" from the doix_v6 package in the folder "orgchameleonboot" or "orgchameleonboot-1" ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/bildschirmfoto20120224u.png/ )

Should i just copy it to the root partition (where system and the likes are also located) like the SSDTs ?

Thanks for your help!

Not sure what yiu're trying to do there Maxey? Why are you trying to do it install Chimera manually? Why not just download the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install chimera from there. It will copy all the files to the required locations for you. Also the chameleon.boot.plist is not required, it's only for the Chameleon boot loader, not Chimera..

Glad the fixmbr command worked for you! It took me a while to figure out what to do when it happened to me!

Sorry. Scratch that, you do need the org.chameleon.boot.plist! and it goes in the /Extra folder. Also the SSDT's should go in that folder too, they got copied to the root folder in one of DoiX's revisions by mistake, they should go in /Extra. Delete them from the root directory..

Sorry. Scratch that, you do need the org.chameleon.boot.plist! and it goes in the /Extra folder. Also the SSDT's should go in that folder too, they got copied to the root folder in one of DoiX's revisions by mistake, they should go in /Extra. Delete them from the root directory..

It's not a mistake... the SSDT get loaded from both locations, so it doesn't matter if the files are in / or in /Extra.

Oh well...Goodmorning! Shut down pc last night and today tried to reboot it. Same issues as before with 2 differences though. IAtkos DVD won't start up anymore even with the fixmbr and bootsect.exe /nt60 all, and my win 7 won't boot up either any more. (most likely I killed my partition tables) reinstalled the win 7 now on the ought to be mac partition. What's the matter?

Oh well...Goodmorning! Shut down pc last night and today tried to reboot it. Same issues as before with 2 differences though. IAtkos DVD won't start up anymore even with the fixmbr and bootsect.exe /nt60 all, and my win 7 won't boot up either any more. (most likely I killed my partition tables) reinstalled the win 7 now on the ought to be mac partition. What's the matter?

Somethings definitely not right there! Ever had problems with Win 7 screwing up? Maybe your drive is on the way out - I had an old HDD once that did something similar and turned out to be faulty - do you have a spare drive you could try in the computer?

As far as my own issue sgo I just got an extra 4GB ram today :) at the max 8GB now, increased Geekbench by like 300 so am happy, plus the extra VRAM should help. I have Mountain Lion working perfectly from an external USB drive - Has anyone else tried it and noticed how much smoother the OS graphics performance is? EG Mission control - with Lion it kind of jumps down in size, but on Mountain Lion is a nice smooth scale... Wonder if the 10.8 Kexts would work on 10.7....

I cannot however seem to get mountain lion to work from my SSD :( just CCC'd the drive over (uses exactly same Chameleon config, DSDT and SSDT ) but it's not playing. Arse :(

Somethings definitely not right there! Ever had problems with Win 7 screwing up? Maybe your drive is on the way out - I had an old HDD once that did something similar and turned out to be faulty - do you have a spare drive you could try in the computer?

As far as my own issue sgo I just got an extra 4GB ram today :) at the max 8GB now, increased Geekbench by like 300 so am happy, plus the extra VRAM should help. I have Mountain Lion working perfectly from an external USB drive - Has anyone else tried it and noticed how much smoother the OS graphics performance is? EG Mission control - with Lion it kind of jumps down in size, but on Mountain Lion is a nice smooth scale... Wonder if the 10.8 Kexts would work on 10.7....

I cannot however seem to get mountain lion to work from my SSD :( just CCC'd the drive over (uses exactly same Chameleon config, DSDT and SSDT ) but it's not playing. Arse :(

Maybe if you know what kext (if there is one) is responsible of the SSD management, maybe you can try to use the one from Lion with Moutain Lion... Just an idea, but I don't know if it's a kext that manages the SSD...

I was wondering about SSD : Are there models that work better with OS X than some others?

Maybe if you know what kext (if there is one) is responsible of the SSD management, maybe you can try to use the one from Lion with Moutain Lion... Just an idea, but I don't know if it's a kext that manages the SSD...

I was wondering about SSD : Are there models that work better with OS X than some others?

It's not the SSD but the applehda.kext causing it if I delete it it boots with no sound fine from the SSD

Did try a couple of drive related kexts but no joy - did boot once playing with rd= at boot, can't do it again though. Given up. Happy with Lion for now!

Unfortunately not having a spare drive . Actually i never had problems with win 7.... a blue screen now and then but thats it.

Ahm...which kext? I am in S/L/Caches, and there is a folder called "com.apple.kext.caches" delete the whole folder? Or only specific files in there?

Not sure what yiu're trying to do there Maxey? Why are you trying to do it install Chimera manually? Why not just download the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install chimera from there. It will copy all the files to the required locations for you. Also the chameleon.boot.plist is not required, it's only for the Chameleon boot loader, not Chimera..

Am well before that i already downloaded the chimera 1.7 pkg from tonymac and tried to install it that way but i could try to do it with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again of course.

you do need the org.chameleon.boot.plist! and it goes in the /Extra folder. Also the SSDT's should go in that folder too, they got copied to the root folder in one of DoiX's revisions by mistake, they should go in /Extra. Delete them from the root directory..

Which boot.plist should i use? The one with the -1 or the one without -1 ?

It's not the SSD but the applehda.kext causing it if I delete it it boots with no sound fine from the SSD

Could this also be my problem?

@ Maxey:

"Ahm...which kext? I am in S/L/Caches, and there is a folder called "com.apple.kext.caches" delete the whole folder? Or only specific files in there?"

In that folder, delete "StartUp"

"Which boot.plist should i use? The one with the -1 or the one without -1 ?"

Run the DoiX's installer ad select the one for your screen :-) Or open the one with "-1" and the one without "1", as far as I remember, the one for 1920x1080 has a string full of numbers at the end of it.

• Like 1

@ Maxey:

"Ahm...which kext? I am in S/L/Caches, and there is a folder called "com.apple.kext.caches" delete the whole folder? Or only specific files in there?"

In that folder, delete "StartUp"

Sorry for the stupid question...again the whole folder "StartUp" or only the contents? :|

"Which boot.plist should i use? The one with the -1 or the one without -1 ?"

Run the DoiX's installer ad select the one for your screen :-) Or open the one with "-1" and the one without "1", as far as I remember, the one for 1920x1080 is a string full of numbers at the end of it.

Yeah i think the right one for me is the one with the string of numbers at the end. I have it already right now in my /extras folder , can copy it there again though.