[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@DoiX- Good to hear we're on the same page, and that I could help to improve the already great installer package =)

About VoodooPS2Keyboard kext. I'm using it along with the Controller, Trackpad, and Mouse kexts. i personally find it to be just as good as ApplePS2Controller, but for me it is better as it has the added option of being customizable with tracking and scrolling speed etc via ps2trackpad prefpane.

There is a decent amount of information here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=304.0 about modding and adding unmapped keys, and/or changing the mapping of existing keys. I can't seem to find the 'debug' version of the voodoops2keyboard.kext which allows you to get the output from unmapped keys via the console, however I'm sure if you do some searching you will find it.

Hope that helps :thumbsup_anim:

OH and one other thing, are ther many apps on Lion that are able to use the CUDA acceleration as yet? Or does it function at a root level of the OS? I havent looked into it much but was under the impression that only specific applications could utilize the extra processing power of CUDA, at least at this time..

Thanks a lot. I think i will try your way! However 2 small questions You write I made a rescue image of my C: disk (where Win7 is installed) in case it didn't work at first time and erase my Win7 partition ; 1 .--> Do you mean in case it would not work the first time and you win 7 partition got erased, or do you mean you DID in fact erase you win 7 partition (Which well.... would confuse me when i look at your second sentence "

I created a E: partition just after my C: of 100Go ;" which sounds like you still have the C partition

:D )

2. Rescue Image.... well i would pretty much simply copy the whole partition on an external hdd ... should work too i guess? I know the software will not work etc but the data should be safe. how did you make the rescue image? acronis or something? thanks a lot again!

Yes, I made a rescue image with Acronis True Image, sorry, I forgot it... (I'll edit my post) in case my partition got erased... It's not an obligation at all, it's just a security if that method wouldn't work :)

Let me know if it worked.

In case it didn't, I'll try to do it once again on a fresh OS X install, because I wrote it with memories of 2 months ago... That's why I recommend you to make a Ghost of your C: partition :)

Edited by Rockball73

Finally managed to get two snapshots of ioreg with one screen rotated (display0 - LVDS) and the other kept constant (display1 - 1920x1080 external monitor).

@Doix - let me know if you have time to have a quick look at this? Also SwitchResX displays "Unknown Monitor" for the freezing LVDS, but LCD2271W for the functional external display. Could this be related to the freezing?

XPS_15z_rotate_norotate.zip

SwitchResX shows the same Unknown monitor, anyway i compared those 2 ioregs with the other two you gave me a while back, the initial ones have only one difference and that is the connector-type, with rotate it has 02 with no rotate 00... however in the ones you provided now, i see no difference.

Sooo, i got no idea on what the hell it's causing your problem. I'm sorry.

Yes, I made a rescue image with Acronis True Image, sorry, I forgot it... (I'll edit my post) in case my partition got erased... It's not an obligation at all, it's just a security if that method wouldn't work :)

Let me know if it worked.

In case it didn't, I'll try to do it once again on a fresh OS X install, because I wrote it with memories of 2 months ago... That's why I recommend you to make a Ghost of your C: partition :)

Yeah still making copies of my hdd :D My portable got some problems...so i am still in the process of "saving" .

2 things that keep bugging me and somehow my search didnt get me the results

Step 8 of Os X install -->

8. Copy this

DSDT

(courtesy of wen1) to Extra/ folder, the end.

When i click on the link i get to the main page of insanely mac?

i have a retail of 10.6.3 on a stick. When and how should i apply the combo update of 10.6.8? I think i read it somewhere around here but cannot find the proper post anymore. I did it before with my netbook and the update was applied at the beginning and then all drivers were installed before restarting. Is it the same?

SwitchResX shows the same Unknown monitor, anyway i compared those 2 ioregs with the other two you gave me a while back, the initial ones have only one difference and that is the connector-type, with rotate it has 02 with no rotate 00... however in the ones you provided now, i see no difference.

Sooo, i got no idea on what the hell it's causing your problem. I'm sorry.

So I think I stumbled on something.

I've managed to look at both ioregs myself. With the rotated ioreg, I see that under AppleIntelFramebuffer@0:

IOFBTransform = 0x60 (as opposed to 0x0 in non-rotated, I'm assuming this means it's rotated)

IOFBDetailedTimings = 2 (as opposed to 17). So there are only two available resolutions for rotated LVDS: 1920x1080x60Hz or 1920x1080x40Hz.

Could it be that the FB is getting hung up on one of the pre-defined resolutions?

Maybe I could force DSDT for IOFBTransform, or limit the amount of resolutions via EDID and SwitchresX?

Yeah still making copies of my hdd :D My portable got some problems...so i am still in the process of "saving" .

2 things that keep bugging me and somehow my search didnt get me the results

Step 8 of Os X install --> [/left][/size][/font][/color]

When i click on the link i get to the main page of insanely mac?

i have a retail of 10.6.3 on a stick. When and how should i apply the combo update of 10.6.8? I think i read it somewhere around here but cannot find the proper post anymore. I did it before with my netbook and the update was applied at the beginning and then all drivers were installed before restarting. Is it the same?

The "problem" is that I didn't try to install 10.6.3 but directly 10.7.1... So I don't know if steps are different, but, if it's the same than with Lion, i suppose you can install 10.6.3, all your drivers, and then, install 10.6.8 combo update and re-patch things that need it (under Lion, I know you have to re-patch AICPUPM to get SpeedStepper working again. But, concerning 10.6.3 > 10.6.8, I don't have a clue.

Maybe you should try installing everything and then the combo update, as it can be done with Lion, and if it doesn't work, then try with installing 10.6.3, directly after it the combo update, and then, all your drivers.

Or, you can install 10.7.1 > 10.7.2, and then, I could tell you how I did :)

• Like 1

IOFBTransform = 0x60 (as opposed to 0x0 in non-rotated, I'm assuming this means it's rotated)

IOFBDetailedTimings = 2 (as opposed to 17). So there are only two available resolutions for rotated LVDS: 1920x1080x60Hz or 1920x1080x40Hz.

^ Thats normal, i've attached my ioreg for you to compare and see.

As for the DSDT injection, if a value is already set the DSDT won't overwrite it afaik.

XPSDOIXl502XFHD.zip

The "problem" is that I didn't try to install 10.6.3 but directly 10.7.1... So I don't know if steps are different, but, if it's the same than with Lion, i suppose you can install 10.6.3, all your drivers, and then, install 10.6.8 combo update and re-patch things that need it (under Lion, I know you have to re-patch AICPUPM to get SpeedStepper working again. But, concerning 10.6.3 > 10.6.8, I don't have a clue.

Maybe you should try installing everything and then the combo update, as it can be done with Lion, and if it doesn't work, then try with installing 10.6.3, directly after it the combo update, and then, all your drivers.

Or, you can install 10.7.1 > 10.7.2, and then, I could tell you how I did :)

Oh so you directly hit it with the IAtkos Lion L1?

Wow that would save a lot of work though..Somehow i always read the guide like it is compulsory to install 10.6.x first.

Well then i will also do the lion install --> something not mentioned (or i stupidly missed it) by the guide... is it important what KIND of partition i use for the install? Since i reduced my non-primary partition (it say logical drive it the translation is correct) by about 130 Gig and planned to install the Mac OS there.I am asking as i think Kennys guide mentioned something about having to install on a primary partition.

Oh so you directly hit it with the IAtkos Lion L1?

Wow that would save a lot of work though..Somehow i always read the guide like it is compulsory to install 10.6.x first.

Well then i will also do the lion install --> something not mentioned (or i stupidly missed it) by the guide... is it important what KIND of partition i use for the install? Since i reduced my non-primary partition (it say logical drive it the translation is correct) by about 130 Gig and planned to install the Mac OS there.I am asking as i think Kennys guide mentioned something about having to install on a primary partition.

That's what I did and it worked perfectly, yes.

Concerning the partition on which you install Lion (in my case, I installed Iatkos L1 with the options recommended at page 6 in DoiX's tuto) it must be a primary one. You format it in FAT32 under Windows, and then, when on the first page of the install of OS X, go to "Uility > Disk Utility" and select your 130Go FAT32 partition and format it to HFS+ :)

Quick question guys, I got 10.7.3 installed on my machine and I am currently running into 2 problems.

First, none of my USB ports are working. Whenever I insert a wireless network adapter into them nothing happens and when I insert a USB flash drive into one the OS crashes and I have to restart.

Second, I am having a boot0:error and have to boot using Rbootle every time. I found some info on how to fix it but it's not very intuitive where some of these files are supposed to be located.

Any ideas?

That's what I did and it worked perfectly, yes.

Concerning the partition on which you install Lion (in my case, I installed Iatkos L1 with the options recommended at page 6 in DoiX's tuto) it must be a primary one. You format it in FAT32 under Windows, and then, when on the first page of the install of OS X, go to "Uility > Disk Utility" and select your 130Go FAT32 partition and format it to HFS+ :)

ouh unfortunately not working for me the easy way...i restored the iatkos on a hackintosh to a usb stick. when booting from it it tells me "no ooperating system" though. using rboot le does also not start iatkos.

The select partion - active way also didnt work...trying to repair the win partition now with the other tools provided on the win cd ;):D

Btw the primary partition i accomplished to create with about 150 Gig is in NTFS...had to do it in the Windows Setup as in any other way my recovery partition was blocking this partition from beeing created ;)

Not sseing a way to get it to FAT 32 :D

Haha just about everything didnt work out for me :D

If you get a "Missing operating system" error go to 3a

3a) If booting from USB drive doesn't work, you can try to use the RBootLE boot loader to try and boot from the USB. If that doesn't work try 3b

3b) Boot with a burn copy of iAtkos and boot the USB drive with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20

3c) If for some reason iAtkos still doesn't boot, just use the DVD to boot with mentioned flags

- AKennedy_4

"For some reason" still not working ;)

Edited by maxey

Quick question guys, I got 10.7.3 installed on my machine and I am currently running into 2 problems.

First, none of my USB ports are working. Whenever I insert a wireless network adapter into them nothing happens and when I insert a USB flash drive into one the OS crashes and I have to restart.

Second, I am having a boot0:error and have to boot using Rbootle every time. I found some info on how to fix it but it's not very intuitive where some of these files are supposed to be located.

Any ideas?

install chimera from tonymac for your boot0 error, this should help.

With your usb problems, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] might be able to help you (from the same place as chimera)

I believe you need an updated renesas usb3 kext.

install chimera from tonymac for your boot0 error, this should help.

With your usb problems, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] might be able to help you (from the same place as chimera)

I believe you need an updated renesas usb3 kext.

I've installed the usb3 kext and Chimera from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and neither of them have helped the problem. Is there anyway i can force them to overwrite what is on the hd?

Also, the freezing happens on my USB 2 port as well.

ouh unfortunately not working for me the easy way...i restored the iatkos on a hackintosh to a usb stick. when booting from it it tells me "no ooperating system" though. using rboot le does also not start iatkos.

The select partion - active way also didnt work...trying to repair the win partition now with the other tools provided on the win cd ;):D

Btw the primary partition i accomplished to create with about 150 Gig is in NTFS...had to do it in the Windows Setup as in any other way my recovery partition was blocking this partition from beeing created ;)

Concerning your "no operating system" message : Does it occur when you try to boot on your USB key or after installing OS X and trying to boot on Win7?

If it occurs when you try to boot with your USB key, I suppose you didn't restore iAtkos L1 the good way on it. So, download once again iAtkos L1.dmg and restore it on your 8Go HFS+ formatted USB key. Then try to boot with it once more.

And about your NTFS partition, I guess you cannot format it in HFS+ with the Disk Utility of OS X installer... So, what you can do is download EaseUS Partition Manager and format it in FAT32 with this software.

• Like 1

@Jason - Well, yes I guess it must be. If it works in Windows then it should work in Lion. I would suggest reinstalling from the beginning and following the instructions on page 6 very carefully. Your boot0 error is indicative that something went wrong somewhere along the way, it could be linked to your USB not working also...

Sorry COuldn't be of more help

Concerning your "no operating system" message : Does it occur when you try to boot on your USB key or after installing OS X and trying to boot on Win7?

If it occurs when you try to boot with your USB key, I suppose you didn't restore iAtkos L1 the good way on it. So, download once again iAtkos L1.dmg and restore it on your 8Go HFS+ formatted USB key. Then try to boot with it once more.

And about your NTFS partition, I guess you cannot format it in HFS+ with the Disk Utility of OS X installer... So, what you can do is download EaseUS Partition Manager and format it in FAT32 with this software.

Hmm i tried it with paritioning it with GUID and MBR. Formatted it both times to MAC OS Extended Journaled . Used the USB Port on the right sight of the PC (AKennedy said so...) . Hmm will try once more.

However, it also didnt boot from the CD. That should at least have worked i guess?

Will try to repartition my NTFS Partition with the software you mentioned.

Thanks for your help!

The repartitioning to FAT32 worked.

However, the USB Key still does not work. Still no Operation System found.

The times i use the DVD to boot, it starts with the typical dash roating, but then freezes and i can hear the DVD stop turning.

Burned it with imgburner by renaming the .dmg to a .iso (read on the internet thats possible) .

Edited by maxey

Boot0 is caused by faulty bootloader or/and bad partition table. Use only MBR partition table, GUID is not working for us (bios limitations)

I think I have a faulty bootloader. I installed off a partition on my MBR hard drive as I have a windows installation sitting side by side.

Guys, i can't remap the fn + f4 and fn + f5 keys since they are considered virtual in the drivers (this means they don't actually output an event). Would you prefer i just set the brightness on them as normal f4/f5 keys or on the touch keys number 2 and 3?

Also, can't get the lock trackpad thing to work, i'm failing to find the event id.. it may also be virtual.

@DoiX - If they are considered virtual then you need to add the raw output even to the driver. That is what the debug voodoops2keyboard.kext will give you, I have tested it myself and the fn + f4, and fn + f5 keys, as well as the other touch keys, do output unique events. I just couldn't figure out how to add them to the driver =S

Try googling for the 'debug voodoops2keyboard.kext' I will also try again in the meantime as I have found it before..

I would prefer to use the touch keys 2 and 3 for other shortcuts, eg. Sleep, screensaver etc. This may also help you to get the lock trackpad thing to work. Although I suspect that it has something to do with the trackpad driver, rather than the lack of a hotkey. Have you tried remapping it to an existing key, to see if it will lock at all?

Here's the 'debug' version of Voodops2controller.kext this will allow you to get the event/scan codes for the unrecognized keys. THE kext is 32 bit so you will need to boot with the flag arch=i386, you will also probably need to replace the NULLCPUPM kext to allow booting in 32 bit mode.

I tried to load it and get it working on 10.7.3 but for some reason I get stuck on the 'still waiting for root device' error again. Really not sure what could be causing this.. I think I might go back to 10.7.2 as there really aren't any benefits to 10.7.3..