Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

In Chameleon rev about 1200 they changed the file name from com.apple.boot.plist to org.chameleon.boot.plist.

If you want to use the latest revs like 14xx you have to rename that file.

Beta build 3.0.9 works ok? Can put it in the auto-update?

I'm wondering why does Chameleon Wizard want to write to a file called security_ authtrampoline in usr/sbin, as well as some others in there?

It doesn't. It's the first time I heard about it. There's nothing called authtrampoline or security_ in the whole source code.

I have no idea.

Sorry again, I was just trying to put my mind at ease about it. Never hurts to be careful.

It's just that HandsOff - http://www.metakine.com/products/handsoff/ reports Chameleon Wizard wanting to write to:

/usr/sbin/diskutil

/usr/bin/strings

/usr/bin/bsdtar

/usr/libexec/security_authtrampoline

I was wondering if those requests are normal.

It's not writing.

It's using external programs. security_authtrampoline is probably Authorization stuff that lets me run applications as root (like fdisk or dd). diskutil is being used for partitions list, strings to find chameleon's revision. etc. It's completly normal, I was not confident enough to try to mess with hard disks using my own functions so I used system's applications.

Thanks for the explanation and putting my mind at ease. I suspected that HandsOff was reporting a request to run a program as a file write but wasn't sure.

Also thanks for your time and for this app, it's really useful! Wonderful job.

To add some constructive feedback, I've spotted a typo on "Default Partition" :thumbsup_anim:

Fixed, thank you.

Also my previous config file had <key>PCIRootUID</key> but I see that Chameleon Wizard uses <key>PCIRoot</key>. Is that the new syntax?

I made this application mainly basing on boothelp.txt:

PciRoot=<value> Use an alternate value for PciRoot (default value 0).

Version 3.1 published.

Edit:

Test Version 3.1.5 with pkg installer downloader.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...nWizardTest.zip

En.proj updated with 2 new strings: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...er/en.lproj.zip

So before I attempt to use the installer, will this will only work on Snow and not Leopard?

Thanks

Chameleon Wizard requires OS 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) or higher. Porting to 10.5.x and 10.4.x is not planned because it would require work.

Leopard doesn't have many functions I use like Grand Central Dispatch. App will probably crash on 10.5.

But Chameleon will be able to boot Leopard.

This app is awesome (a real timesaver)!

I need to use fdisk440 to preserve my Windows 7 dual boot. I wasn't sure if Chameleon Wizard used fdisk440, so just to be safe i overwrote the fdisk in the app "Resources" folder with a renamed copy of fdisk440. Works nice!

There is something wrong with the themes that you can install from this app, unless its the latest chameleon at fault, r1445?

It starts to look like the theme appears for a second then goes to a black screen then boots to the desktop eventually.

Anyone else?

Is it safe to just tick "Use kernel cache" or do i need to do something first?

From boothelp:

UseKernelCache=Yes|No Default is No. Yes will load pre-linked kernel and will ignore /E/E and /S/L/E/Extensions.mkext.

Which ones? I tried to install LoginToLion and it worked without any issues.

Edit:

New build with updated translations.

Can you post your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Maybe I have something wrong there? I have Boot Banner =yes, Timeout =3, theme = default. I have default for now until I figure out why any theme other than default causes that problem.

My theme is in /extra

From boothelp:

UseKernelCache=Yes|No Default is No. Yes will load pre-linked kernel and will ignore /E/E and /S/L/E/Extensions.mkext.

Ok maybe its this but could you still post your OCBP

Thanks

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>15</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

My theme is in /Extra/themes/LoginToLion.