janek202

Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

691 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Excellent idea janek202! Great work!

I think what I can add for future versions is perhaps a radio button to select between Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion (I hear that Lion wants a special parameter like UseKernelCache=Yes) and also the installation and use of modules in /Extra/modules path. To be honest, I installed Resolution.dlyb and don't know how to activate it or what to do to see it works :(

Does your application inform itself of its own updates, too?

Yes... very nice, i'll test when i'm back home.

A cool feature would be if one could install to EFI too, i.e. i prefer to have everything there and leave

the OS untouched... :rolleyes:

Awesome app but needs one more feature : current chameleon version, which could be implemented like this

strings BOOT_FILE_HERE | grep "Chameleon v"

eg.

strings /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/boot | grep "Chameleon v"
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r823

Yes... very nice, i'll test when i'm back home.

A cool feature would be if one could install to EFI too, i.e. i prefer to have everything there and leave

the OS untouched... :D

Yes, would be a nice feature.

Hi all. I made a new utility for Chameleon. It helps to install, update and download latests revs of bootloader.

Features:

Installing Chameleon with boot0 and boot0hfs install methods.

Updating Chameleon only by replacing boot file.

Downloading latests revs from server.

Works on Snow Leopard and Lion.

Universal binary: x86_64 and i386.

Download links:

Beta 1.1: http://cl.ly/6vJA

Please report me any bugs or ideas for new features.

If anyone knows how to build Chameleon's sources on linux without Xcode, please let me know.

I would never make this application without support and ideas by osx86.org.pl team. Thank you, guys!

Amazing! Truly, you're a genius, Janek. I am desperately fighting the urge to donate you money for all of this quality coding. If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer? Few with your level of expertise are willing to produce such treasures with zero compensation and scant praise. I applaud you for doing this, you are truly a generous spirit. :D This community desperately needs this to expand and accelerate its development. Your last two products stand above the primitive and limited tools that most of us had to resort to streamline and accelerate the processes of various operating system machinations. ;)

Amazing! Truly, you're a genius, Janek. I am desperately fighting the urge to donate you money for all of this quality coding. If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer? Few with your level of expertise are willing to produce such treasures with zero compensation and scant praise. I applaud you for doing this, you are truly a generous spirit. :D This community desperately needs this to expand and accelerate its development. Your last two products stand above the primitive and limited tools that most of us had to resort to streamline and accelerate the processes of various operating system machinations. :D

I agree!

Thanks janek202

;)

Worked like charm! I just needed to reinstall Chameleon due to my Win7 SP1 update :) and your app arrived at perfect time to save me a manual installation. Thank you for your good work!

rDrG

New Beta version 1.2:

Links in the first post.

Added:

Showing installed Chameleon's revision. Thanks LIMITER!

New option: Backup boot file.

If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer?

No. It's just a hobby. I'm studying at the moment.

Edit: Small update. Installed Chameleon's revision is now updated after installation.

Hi all. I made a new utility for Chameleon. It helps to install, update and download latests revs of bootloader.

That's a very usefull tool, Thanks a lot.

Thank you for this excellent app, it's a very good idea and really helps as previously getting the latest builds of chameleon was quite tedious!

One thing though, when I first run this app and updated chameleon it broke chameleon themes and I just got a text based selector, I reinstalled the old version of Chameleon and then installed with this app again and my chameleon themes still work!

Features:

Installing Chameleon with boot0 and boot0hfs install methods.

Updating Chameleon only by replacing boot file.

Downloading latests revs from server.

Hi Janeck,

Yet another great idea after Kext Wizzard.

I have a suggestion:

Is it possible to have an option which allowws you to install from a local i386 folder. This would be handy when internet connection is not available.

Keep up the good work,

best regards :rolleyes:

Is it possible to have an option which allowws you to install from a local i386 folder. This would be handy when internet connection is not available.

If I understood You correctly, It have been arleady implemented. Just select tab: "Folder on disk", and select Chameleon's i386 folder.

If I understood You correctly, It have been arleady implemented. Just select tab: "Folder on disk", and select Chameleon's i386 folder.

Hi Janeck,

I apologise. I posted before testing it. :rolleyes:

Regards. :rolleyes:

Great job, Is it possible to support EFI partition? It seems only support MBR partition.

Great job, Is it possible to support EFI partition? It seems only support MBR partition.

Currently it works only with "normal" HFS+ partitions. No matter is it MBR or GUID (GPT).

I will think about it, but personally I don't use EFI partition, so others would have to test it.

Maybe I will only add support for updating Chameleon on EFI partition, not whole installation.

Edit: Are this commands OK for updating chameleon on EFI partition?

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use EFI partition myself...

Currently it works only with "normal" HFS+ partitions. No matter is it MBR or GUID (GPT).

I will think about it, but personally I don't use EFI partition, so others would have to test it.

Maybe I will only add support for updating Chameleon on EFI partition, not whole installation.

Edit: Are this commands OK for updating chameleon on EFI partition?

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use EFI partition myself...

Thanks for your reply, I don't use EFI partition, too. That's my friend's reply, doesn't work with EFI.

So, I don't know the exact commands. Sorry~

Excellent work.

Just a couple of suggestions though.

Seeing as you recommend Boot0hfs, set this as default or switch it to top.

Is it possible to name the app with version number so when it gets downloaded it has right filename.

e.g Chameleon Wizard-1.2.app instead of Chameleon Wizard-1.app (which happens if you already have Chameleon Wizard.app in your download folder).

No real big deal JMHO.

Thanks for sharing this great app.

Source code??

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ITzTravelInTime
      Hi guys, this thread is to show you a new and open source app, created by me, that I called TINU:

The name means: TINU Is Not #####, the U refers to a popular software that is used to create macOS hackintosh installers (that for good reasons is banned on this forum), but the aim of the name is to explain that this app is a totally different thing from that software and works in a totally different way.

This app basically is a graphical interface for the createinstallmedia executable that is inside the macOS and Mac OS X installer apps, it is capable to create a bootable installer completely vanilla like what you do using the command line method, and also this method is recommended by apple itself. In addition to this, this app provvides to you simplicity and flexybility, and lets you to avoid most of the steps needed with every other app.

TINU allows you to create easily a bootable macOS installer without messing around with command line stuff and without using disk utility, all you need to do is use the app and then install clover on the usb drive once TINU has finished or leave it as is if you want to use it on a real Mac.

Features:
        - Simple to use UI that allows you to easily start the bootable macOS installer creation process
        - It can work with every macOS installer app that has the createinstallmedia executable inside of its resources folder (including also beta and newly released installers)
        - You can use any volume you want that can be erased and is at least 7 GB of size (if the volume's drive is not in GUID format, TINU will format it to make it GUID!)
        - Works on Mac OS recovery, so you can create a bootable macOS installer from the macOS installer itself or from the macOS recovery, and you can use TINU to install macOS too.
        - All vanilla, the bootable macOS installers created with this tool are 100% vanilla, just like you created them using the command line "createinstallmedia" method in the terminal
        - Open source, you will know what this program does on your computer and also you can create your own version by downloading and playing with the source code
        - Does not require to do anything of special first, just open the program, and make sure you have a USB drive pulugged in and that you have a macOS installer app in the system.
        - No need to go in disk utility first, TINU can format your drive/partition for you
        - Uses recent and more modern APIs and SDKs and Swift 3 language
        - Transparent graphics style available (use alt + s on the keyboard or View->Use transparent style)
        - Works using the latest versions of macOS and will also support newer Mac installers out of the box without needing for an update
        - Advanced section, to customize your bootable macOS installer

Features that are planned for some future versions:
        - Integrated EFI partition mounter tool (TINU can already mount EFI partitions from version 2.0, but a dedicated section which allows to mount every EFI partition in the system will be added)
        - Install clover and configure clover
        - Install kexts inside the kexts folder of clover
        - Clover drivers customization
        - Use custom dsdt in clover
        - integrated pre-made clover config templates database from a remote and open repository
        - Support for other languages, at least Italian

Rquirements:
       - A computer that runs Mac OS X Yosemite or a more recent version (Mac OS X El Capitan is required to use TINU in a macOS recovery or installer)
       - A drive or a free partition (on a drive which already supports GUID) of at least 7 GB that you want to turn into a macOS/Mac OS X installer
       - A copy of a macOS/Mac OS X installer app (Maveriks or newer versions are supported) in the /Applications folder or in the root of any storage drive in your machine (excepted the drive or volume you want to turn into your macOS install media)

Download:
        - You can download the pre-made and code signed binary from the releases section of the github repo: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases
        - Or you can just build your own copy by just downloading the source code and then using Xcode (requires Xcode 8):  https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU

Frequently asked questions:
      https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/wiki/FAQs

Useful links:
       Thread (english) on insanelymac.com:
        - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/326959-tinu-the-macos-installer-creator-app-mac-app/

Thread (italian) on insanelymac.com:
        - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/333261-tinu-app-per-creare-chiavette-di-installazione-di-macos-thread-in-italiano/

Thread (english-german) on hackintosh-forum.de:
        - https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/33630-TINU/

Facebook hackintosh help and beta testing (Italian only):
        - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts

Contact me (project creator):
        - Insanelymac.com profile: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/user/1390153-itztravelintime/
        - email: piecaruso97@gmail.com

Note that:
       - This software is under GNU GPL v3 license so any new branch/mod/third party release must be open source and under the same license
       - I (project creator) assume no responsibility for any use of this app and this source code, and also for any kind of hardware and software damage to any computer and any device or peripheral that may come from this app or source code during it's use and outside it's usage
       - I (project creator) do not guarantee support to you, this is only an open source project, not a product released by a company!
       - This project is born only for educational and demonstrative purposes, it's not intended to be used for commercial purposes and it will never be, don't use source code from this project to create apps or software for that aim.
       - This is a no-profit project, born only to let people to create macOS install medias in a more simple way and also to learn how to create this kind of apps.

Credits:
        - Apple for macos and installer apps and scripts
        - People that helped me a lot:
         Francesco Perchiazzi, Nicola Tomarelli, Roberto Sciortino, Raffaele Sonnessa, Ermanno Nicoletti, Tommaso Dimatore, Michele Vitiello Bonaventura, Massimiliano Faralli, Davide Dessì, Giorgio Dall'Aglio, Thomas Tempelmann, Peter Paul Chato.   
        - Special thanks to Italian Hackintosh group!! for help (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Italia.hackintosh/?fref=ts)
        - Pietro Caruso (ITzTravelInTime) for creating, maintaing and developing this project

I leave also some screenshots as well

• By ITzTravelInTime
      So apple has presented a new and updated mac mini a few days ago, and the great news seems to be the use of desktop processors in it, in fact, all the specs seems to match a typical desktop socket 1151 v2 coffeelake system without a dedicated gpu, so i am wondering if the smbios of this machine could be our new smbios of preference for coffeelake desktop machines. So i have created this new topic to discuss about it. Of course we will have to wait to do tests using the first public version of mac os which integrates this smbios, because when every new mac is released it's smbios is available initialy just in a purpose made mac os build and then it's added for all the os builds in the following releases.

So what do you think about the possibility of using this new smbios for desktop coffeelake machines instead of the imac 18.3/18.2 ones?

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

• By PoisonApple666
      I have a bootable clover usb stick and it goes through the first part of the install to a fresh SSD...then on the first reboot Mojave tells me that the installer resources cannot be found....does anyone know what this means

Thanks very much,
      R

• By fusion71au
      This is a brief guide on how to create a vanilla El Capitan (also same process for Sierra) OS X Installer USB with an updated prelinked kernel containing FakeSMC.

It is tailored for those users who want to understand the “nuts and bolts” of how to create an installer and also to help brush up on their terminal skills (rather than have one made for them with the numerous automated “tools” available or even Apple’s createinstallmedia) :

Specifically, it is also a “Proof of Concept” which shows that installation is possible without even having to rely on boot loader kext injection.

Prerequisites
      Existing Yosemite installation (or Mavericks - see post#4 for steps 7,8) “Install OS X El Capitan.app" downloaded to the Applications folder Pacifist FakeSMC.kext - Slice or Kozlek branch Bootloader - Clover or Chameleon 8GB or larger USB drive (16GB recommended), formatted HFS+ (MBR or GUID) named “Installer”  
      Procedure
      1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Open OS X terminal and type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line.
          The image restore and file copying may take a while to complete, and at the end of the process, the Installer volume is renamed to “OS X Base System"....

sudo -s hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg  -target /Volumes/Installer -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt -noverify rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation cp -av /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System diskutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD exit 3.  Right click on the “OS X Base System” Volume and click “Get Info”

4.  Click on the lock icon and untick “Ignore ownership on this volume”

5.  Extract/Copy the El Capitan Kernels folder into /System/Library/ of the USB with Pacifist.  NB It is found in the "Essentials.pkg" in /System/Installation/Packages

6.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel —> OG.prelinkedkernel

7.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of the installer USB using Finder.

8.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel…..

sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System exit Any errors should be noted but the output below is normal e.g.

9. Install your Bootloader targeting the OS X Base System volume

10.  Boot your system with the USB without injected kexts into the OS X Installer GUI....

Post Install
      The original prelinked kernel in a fresh install of El Capitan will also lack FakeSMC ie it will only be linked to Apple signed kexts.  In order to boot into El Capitan the first time around without boot loader kext injection, the PLK needs to be rebuilt for the El Capitan volume like we did for the installer:

1.  Boot into Yosemite with the kext-dev-mode=1 boot flag
      2.  Delete or Rename the original /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel for the El Capitan volume —> OG.prelinkedkernel
      3.  Copy FakeSMC.kext and other necessary kexts (e.g. VoodooPS2Controller.kext for laptops) into the /Library/Extensions folder of El Capitan using Finder
      4.  Back in terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter> after each line to rebuild the prelinkedkernel.  In this example, the El Capitan volume is named "El_Capitan" - change if you have named it something else...
      sudo -s chmod -R 755 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/El_Capitan/Library/Extensions touch /Volumes/El_Capitan/System/Library/Extensions kextcache -u /Volumes/El_Capitan exit 5. Install your Bootloader targeting the El Capitan volume.  This step is only necessary if you are installing El Capitan on a new drive without existing boot loader (not required if installing on a disk with existing boot loader beside Yosemite).
      6. Reboot your system without injected kexts into El Capitan!

Other links
      The All-In-One Guide to Vanilla OS X for beginners

Updates for Sierra and High Sierra   Custom Prelinkedkernel Generator Tool I have made a custom prelinkedkernel generator "PLK.tool" for Sierra + El Capitan.  Instructions:   1.  Download and extract the attached BaseSystem_PLK.tool.zip into your ~/Downloads folder.   2.  Copy any extra kexts necessary for booting your hack to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/ExtraKexts (e.g. FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller), making sure SIP is disabled. 3.  Copy BaseSystem.dmg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem  4.  Open terminal and run the following commands... cd ~/Downloads/BaseSystem chmod +x PLK.tool ./PLK.tool ---> supply your admin password ---> will place your new custom prelinkedkernel on the desktop.       macOS High Sierra bypass Firmware and MBR checks in post#13.
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_ElCap.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Sierra.zip
      BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Mojave.zip (need to run in Mojave to avoid dependency errors)

• By tlefko
      macOS-Mojave-XPS13-9350
      Hello, this is a simple guide to get OS X 10.14 working on any XPS 13 9350 model
      This guide uses files from (@syscl) (albeit edited) and full credit to him for the Deploy.sh and DSDT patches. However, his Clover folder is unbootable with Mojave and thus has been redone.
      However, his Deploy is still retained but edited to remove some DSDT patches that break things on Mojave
      I did my best to keep the guide simple and for the most part it is, it's inteded for the 6200U non iris but should work with others. (credit @syscl)
      Issues
      Wake up via lid is hit or miss (sometimes needs key press) SD Card slot Restarts don't work (endless black screen while turning off but still on) Usage Notes
      USB Devices eject upon sleep (USB Patches via Deploy were major issue) Changing board number via Clover Config doesn't work always unless serial is changed (No idea..) Audio is controlled via VoodooHDA however prefpane is not nessacary. Never tested USB C anything. Charging should be fine however I'm not sure about others, don't personally use it) What Works
      Everything else! Setup Notes
      The new AFPS file system must be used, there is no way to avoid it. Has no noticeable adverse effects except slower boot time It is difficult to repartition AFPS drives and resize them, recommend clean install or you could have one partition smaller than your hard drive that can't be increased unless reformatted Although Volumes will be converted, keep drive as GUID BIOS Settings
      Set all SATA operation as AHCI Disable Secure Boot, Fast Boot For Coil Whine improvement disable C-States Enable UEFI Booting (Disable Legacy if easily confused) Recommended: Clean Install (Preinstall steps)
      Download latest Mojave version from Mac App store (Register AppleID as developer, enroll your mac, download the preview from the link onsite or google for detailed instructions. Make Bootable media (google how or download app to do it, it's just a terminal command) Download the Latest Clover revision (currently using r4568) and install it to your USB as UEFI and ESP (no need for drivers) Copy The contents of this Github repository into your EFI folder on the USB (Mount the EFI Partition via clover config, efi mounter, etc.) (No Boot Folder in EFI) If you have the same XPS Model as me you can use stock ACPI patched files (6200u, hd 520, 3200x1800,) if not delete contents of both folders (origin, patched) and will fix later via @syscls modified deploy) Installing Mojave (Clean Install)
      Boot PC off the USB, select your Installer as your Boot drive from clover menu config is currently set to FAKESERIAL and -v. I believe (@syscl's) deploy generates serial # information Once installer is loaded, go to disk utility and format as a GUID Partition Table with whatever partitions you want (Don't format whole drive to afps make sure it's GUID) Run the Mojave installer to the drive wait for it to finish, then turn off) From Clover, select the name of the Mojave Partition (not preboot, recovery, etc.) and not your USB stick either From here the installation will continue. DO NOT CLICK ON MOUSE OR KEYBOARD (crashes installer shortly after at least for me) Post Install (Clean Install)
      Reboot off your USB once again, load up your Mojave drive. First Boot will take long, if your using my ACPI files (from @sysl's deploy, edited) and have same model you should have everything out of box (except wifi) Regardless, run through the installer and set it all up. (without acpi) At this point screen should be fine, mouse, keyboard, no wifi should be present or bluetooth. No brightness control as well. go to terminal to mount EFI or via clover Config, EFI Mounter, etc, of both USB and the internal disk Copy and REPLACE the EFI folder from the USB into your hard drive. Unplug your USB and reboot and you should be able to boot without the USB now Turn off PC, boot into clover. Don't select a drive and press F4 and Fn+F4 a few times, wait a few seconds, then boot back to the drive Plug back in the USB, mount it's EFI, and run the modified Deploy Script on your Hard Drive EFI partition After deploy is finished, there will be VoodooI2C error as I deleted it from Kexts, for me it breaks Trackpad and Keyboard. For now will be using VoodooPS2. After Modded Deploy
      You should have no Internet at this point, the following next steps should resolve that. However, your Brightness, lidsleep, USB, bluetooth should be working Using your favourite Kext Installer (Put it on a USB or something to get it on the PC), install (credit @Rehabman's) FAKEPCIID and FAKEPCIID_Broadcomm texts that are included in the ManualKexts Folder Then run "Sudo kextcache -i /" from terminal, reboot, then run it again. By this point your wifi should be fixed, and everything should be done Post Install Notes
      Your welcome to transfer whatever other kexts you want to S/L/E, personally I leave them in the CLOVER Folder injected. Doing upgrade via mac app store is similar, just partitioning hard drive is harder. Apart from that same process essentially, not recommended Credits
      Credit Hackintosher.com for basic patches (although @syscl) covered some Credit to @syscl (clearly...) Credit to @Rehabman Credit to @syscl Kexts, and his contributers. ex. Lidwake.kext (although not fully compatible) Support
      Your welcome to open any issues on this thread, I personally have little DSDT knowledge so I will do my best to help! Thanks for Reading!
      - This is a clone from my GitHub, the link to the repository is below with all files

https://github.com/tlefko/macOS-Mojave-XPS13-9350

- I would really like to hear everyone's experience trying this guide so please let me know in the comments how it worked for you, if you plan to try it, etc.