I was able to get the GMA X4500 working In Lion
Use 32bit mode with the attached "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB" kext, which was originally posted here:
1. Back up the orig AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
2. Used Kext Helper to install the hacked kext, rebuild tag cache and restore permissions
3. Run Kext Utility
4. Configure a recent build (v2 RC5 r755 or newer) of the Chameleon bootloader: Restart Fix=Yes, arch=i386
6. After reboot, the video chipset is recognized as X3100, and the "Display" interface in System Preferences offers the following resolutions: 1366x768, 1344x756, 1280x720, 1024x768, 800x600
7. To adjust brightness, use the "Configure" feature from the "Color" tab in the Display interface to create a custom color profile (gamma has a big impact upon brightness).
This technique works for me, but it may not for everyone, so be careful. I got a lot of KP's in the process of tinkering with this fix. If something goes wrong, I dual boot into Windows 7 and use MacDrive to access my Mac Partition. I then delete bad kexts, and/or edit files (plists, etc) with Notepad - this has made me more willing to take risks!
Ohh, and no QE/CI - I've tried lots of fixes for this but no luck. Native res is the real benefit from the hacked AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.