Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

Wow, I didn't know about that!

Thank you very much, I will add E/E mkext support.

Edit:

I have one question. Should I wait some time after touch, before creating mkext? Or I can execute this commands one after another?

New test version 3.3 (without waiting):

Changes:

Mkext can be created from E/E. Used touch command.

Hi Janek202... just a quick word about this "renaming E/E stuff" (i did it a lot my self :P ); you don't need to do it!

Just touch E/E before creating/updating the mkext and Chameleon will happily ignore E/E and load E/Extensions.mkext.

It's just a question of time, like when touching S/L/E to update system cache; touch updates E/E to current time and kextcache updates the cache with E/E's time.

Chameleon checks the time of both mkext and kext repository and if the mkext is older it's ignored;

-f argument forces the same situation, but only for system kexts; it has not effect on Extra.

Hope this is helpful ;)

Stay safe...

Hi janeck,

Azimutz - Thanks for coming to my rescue :P

Janeck - Thanks for the update - My testing hasn't shown any problem so far. It seems to work just perfect and I am sure it'll get better with time.

One point: I noticed that Kexstore is no longer created (Good). Should you update your first post to reflect that ?

Thanks again for your hard work.

Best regards. :D

One point: I noticed that Kexstore is no longer created (Good). Should you update your first post to reflect that ?

It will be updated after public release of 3.3 version. ;) I think I'll do it in the evening if no bugs are reported.

Wow, I didn't know about that!

Thank you very much, I will add E/E mkext support.

Edit:

I have one question. Should I wait some time after touch, before creating mkext? Or I can execute this commands one after another?

Yes, you can execute the commands one after another; i do it right after fixing permissions on the folder and before "sudo kextcache...".

Sorry for the quick words but, i'm really very busy atm with private life...

Azimutz - Thanks for coming to my rescue smile.gif

Glad to be of some assistance to you guys :D

Yes, you can execute the commands one after another; i do it right after fixing permissions on the folder and before "sudo kextcache...".

Thank you. That's all I needed.

Version 3.3 officially released.

You may have solved my random KPs and either way I would like to thank you for creating such well-thought application. Previously, I was using Pfix and lately I've tried your application to repair permissions. I used to have frequent kernel panics due to VoodooHDA but with your application, although I get the above messages in my Console, everything seems much better. These messages don't affect the functionality.

May  6 13:23:00 localhost kernel[0]: Kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily not found.
May  6 13:23:00 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA - failed to resolve library dependencies.
May  6 13:23:00 localhost kernel[0]: Kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA failed to load (0xdc00800e).
May  6 13:23:00 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (error 0xdc00800e).
May  6 13:23:00 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "VoodooHDADevice"

Also, I have to move GenericBrightness kext to System/Library/Extensions to get it loaded.

Long story short, thank you.

Version 3.4 published.

Added/Changed:

Loading kexts from custom locations, reloading and unloading kexts.

Open Panels are shown as sheets.

Small GUI fixes.

Hi, I tried that yesterday while trying some new kexts and it was working great. One little suggestion though. I think it would be good to have an option for exporting loaded kexts into a text document with their locations i.e for debugging purposes.

Thanks,

Version 3.4 published.

Added/Changed:

Loading kexts from custom locations, reloading and unloading kexts.

Open Panels are shown as sheets.

Small GUI fixes.

Hi Janeck,

Me again :(

I have some comments:

1- In Unpacker, Selecting architecture x86_64 seems to unpack 64 bit kexts only.

However, when selecting i386 it unpacks both architectures. Am I correct ?

Should there be an "All" option ?

2- The "Preferences" submenu is greyed out - I take it this is you're leaving that for a future release.

3- My personal preference is to set 'Check for updates' to "NO" as default to save editing the .plist file for each new release. I suppose you can set that in the preferences menu when available.

Thanks for your good work,

Best regards ;)

Hi, I tried that yesterday while trying some new kexts and it was working great. One little suggestion though. I think it would be good to have an option for exporting loaded kexts into a text document with their locations i.e for debugging purposes.

Thanks,

I will think about that, but I don't promise anything.

1- In Unpacker, Selecting architecture x86_64 seems to unpack 64 bit kexts only.

However, when selecting i386 it unpacks both architectures. Am I correct ?

No. Selecting i386 will unpack kexts only in 32-bit architecture.

Should there be an "All" option ?

I don't know how to do that with mkextunpack command.

man mkextunpack:

There is no simple way to unpack a segregated mkext file into a set of
 kexts with universal binaries, but you can unpack each of its component
 architectures to separate directories for examination.

2- The "Preferences" submenu is greyed out - I take it this is you're leaving that for a future release.

I have no plans with that. It's simply in default application's menu, and I didn't remove that.

3- My personal preference is to set 'Check for updates' to "NO" as default to save editing the .plist file for each new release. I suppose you can set that in the preferences menu when available.

I'm too lazy to add whole new form, preferences menu item, saving and reading settings etc. for only one option. And I don't want this app to leave any junk, configuration and other files in system after removing. I don't know why do you want to disable checking, it's executed in another thread and it doesn't affect application's loading time. At least it shouldn't.

Test version 3.5.

Added: Creating and saving a list of loaded kexts into txt file. (File menu item)

Link: [old link, see latest posts]

Please test and report me any bugs, or ideas...

Test version 3.5.

Added: Creating and saving a list of loaded kexts into txt file. (File menu item)

Please test and report me any bugs, or ideas...

I tested this and it worked as expected. However, it takes some time with beach ball appearing during the process. It might be normal but there it is.

Thank you,

I know It's quite slow. The reason is kextfind command, it isn't fast.

I will try to optimize it.

A couple of suggestions:

- In addition to menu item, an export button/icon in "Loaded" section would be nice.

- When someone hits export button, Save window appears immediately. If possible, wouldn't it be nice to open a window or show a warning "Please Wait" while the command you mentioned is being executed. When it is finished, then Save window appears. Currently, the command is being executed when Save button is clicked, after which it takes a while to export. Plus beach ball. I can't talk with a scientific mind so I don't know how possible it is.

- Finally, when Save window appears, the name field should be filled with the Computer Name by default. This may not be everyone's choice though.

Thank you for your time and effort.

New test build.

[old link, see latest posts]

I used Grand Central Dispatch.

Should be quite faster. No more beach ball. I'm thinking about writing my own, much faster kextfind function.

Currently I have no idea where put an export button in "Loaded" section.

New test build.

I used Grand Central Dispatch.

Should be quite faster. No more beach ball. I'm thinking about writing my own, much faster kextfind function.

Currently I have no idea where put an export button in "Loaded" section.

I tried and it worked as you described. No beach ball. Much faster. For the export icon, bottom left corner, to the left of the arrow icon? I think a small icon that has the same size with the arrow would do the job.