janek202

Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

269 posts in this topic

Advertisement
so we can install Lion's kext and rebuild its cache from inside SL? and vice-versa?

Yes. I used "touch" command, so system takes care of rebuilding cache, instead of rebuilding it manually. At least it should work like that.

Hi all.

Recently I was working on new utility for kexts. Version 3.0 seems to be finished, so I decided to show this app on international forum.

Hi I like a lot your app can you/ will you provide source, pleaseee?

Thanks, it's very nice, better than Kext Utility and Kext Helper b7 combined. May it rest in peace.

Great.

But does this new utility handle the rights of kext "correct" if i use kext utitlity works but next OS X Diskutility must repair all of them again.

Great.

But does this new utility handle the rights of kext "correct" if i use kext utitlity works but next OS X Diskutility must repair all of them again.

Yes.

Maintenance: First it sets owner (root:wheel) and permissions (755) for the whole System/Library/Extensions. Some system kexts requires other permissions etc. so after that it repairs permissions on whole target disk using: "diskutil repairpermissions".

Installation: It sets owner and permissions only for newly installed kexts. Others aren't modified. After that it rebuilds cache.

So there's no need to run Disk Utility after using my application.

If anyone would like to make a translation to other language (currently English and Polish) please let me know. I will create necessary files.

Dzięki! Miło widzieć rodaków wspierających społeczność OSX86 :)

Thanks!

Hi all.

Recently I was working on new utility for kexts. Version 3.0 seems to be finished, so I decided to show this app on international forum.

Features:

1. Maintenance: Repair permissions, and rebuild cache for Extra and System/Library/Extensions.

Both directories: Extra/Extensions and Extra/KextStore are supported.

2. Installation: Install kexts to Extra or S/L/E and create mkext.

3. Unpacker: Check mkext's content kexts and unpack it.

4. Kext Information: Check kext's architectures and dependencies.

5. Loaded: Shows list of currently loaded kexts in system.

Hi Janek,

This was long overdue and many thanks for your hard work.

I would like to suggest some additional features in the 'Loaded' section:

-Would it be possible to emulate the functionality of the 'Extensions' section of System Profiler ?

What would be useful is the location of the loaded kexts.

These could be displayed in a new window with the ability to save the info to a text file.

Kind regards,

Rn

-Would it be possible to emulate the functionality of the 'Extensions' section of System Profiler ?

What would be useful is the location of the loaded kexts.

Ok. I will add this in version 3.1. I found a way to search kexts also in /Extra by their bundle-id.

Version 3.1 (Probably Beta).

Improved filtering. More info about selected kext.

Please report me any bugs etc.

When everything will be ok I will update first post with new version.

Edit: Version 3.1 is now official. Check the first post.

Version 3.1 (Probably Beta).

Hi Janek,

A couple of suggestions for future releases:

1- Could you make 'renaming of Extra/Extensions folder to Extra/KextStore Optional. That may be useful for backward compatibility.

2- I know it's early days but it would be nice to output some information messages as to what it is doing (a bit like Kext Utility). That way, one would know whether it is running or stuck.

Thanks again,

Regards

Rn

1- Could you make 'renaming of Extra/Extensions folder to Extra/KextStore Optional. That may be useful for backward compatibility.

Well, I think it's pointless. Extensions will be renamed to KextStore only when "Rebuild mkext" option is selected. Chameleon loads kexts in that order:

1. Extra/Extensions folder

2. Extra/Extensions.mkext

Keeping Extensions folder and mkext is pointless, because kexts will be loaded only from E/E directory. That's why if you want to use mkext (some kexts works only that way) you have change Extensions' name (usually to KextStore).

If you repair permissions, install new kexts etc. this folder won't be renamed.

2- I know it's early days but it would be nice to output some information messages as to what it is doing (a bit like Kext Utility). That way, one would know whether it is running or stuck.

I will think about it, but usually the only function that takes some time is repairing permissions to whole disk (Option repair S/L/E permissions).

Edit: No one reported me any bugs so version 3.1 is officially published.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tlac
      Simple steps to create macOS Installer for Vmware on Linux or Windows

This guide describes how you can create a Vmware image (vmdk) for installing macOS in Vmware. Most tutorials about this topic require an ISO installer file that was typically created in macOS or you have to download some preinstalled image file from unknown source. None of them are ideal. But if you follow the steps below, you will not need to access macOS and will use official and trusted sources.

First of all download gibMacOS from here and set up
      https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS
        Run the script to download the full macOS installer:
      on Linux: gibMacOS.command on Windows: gibMacOS.bat  
      Install qemu-img converter

on Linux (Debian or Ubuntu):
      install qemu-tools package

on Windows use this installer:
      https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/
      when you run the installer, it is enough to select the "tools" and "dll library".

Convert the downloaded BaseSystem.dmg to Vmware image
      run the following commmand in that directory where BaseSystem.dmg was downloaded (somewhere here: gibMacOS-master/macOS Downloads/publicrelease/061-44387 - 10.15.3 macOS Catalina)
      on Linux:
      qemu-img convert -O vmdk -o compat6 BaseSystem.dmg recovery.vmdk on Windows:
      c:\"Program Files"\qemu\qemu-img convert -O vmdk -o compat6 BaseSystem.dmg recovery.vmdk  
      Use the previously created image to install macOS in Vmware

I assume you have a patched and working Vmware already. If not, find another guide but in nutshell:
      - confirm the VT-x is supported on your Intel machine (if you are on AMD you may not able to virtualize macOS or you need to do more work)
      - install VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player (free for non-commercial use)
      - use an unlocker to patch the Vmware to support macOS guest
       currently this works well: https://github.com/BDisp/unlocker/

So when you are here you have a patched Vmware and a Vmware image (recovery.vmdk).
      Run Vmware and create a new virtual machine by choosing macOS guest. But add another hard disk as well with selecting to use an existing virtual disk. Browse the recovery.vmdk. You will get a warning about the image is not in the latest format but choose to keep the existing format.
      After you installed the macOS, install the vmware tools as well.

Tested on Windows 10 with macOS Catalina 10.15.3 in Vmware 15.5 Player

Comments are welcome.

• By liljboi2
      Trying To Boot Mac OS X El Capitan On Surface Book 1 i5 128GB 
      Ive tried everything under the sun to try to get this to even load the installer
      ive had mixed experiences trying many different options and “combos” 
      i Can Offer Someone That Can Help A “Software Pack” Which Includes
      My EFI
      Kexts
      DSDT
      Readmes

Pretty Much Everything I HaveTried And Researched
      Hopefully That Will Help As I’m Confident I Should Have All Required Files But Not So Confident On How They Should Be Coupled 
      There Is A Guide On This Platform That Goes Over Installing This But What Is Demoed Is MacOS Sierra 10.12 When My Target Is 10.11 El Capitan  Everyone In The Comments That Tried El Capitan Either Have Out Of The Gate Sucess Or Gave Up And Went To Sierra The Problem Is Besides The Guide Author Correcting A Few Mistakes There Is No Actual Diagnosis And Help Given 

For A While I Was Getting Nothing But A Black Screen After Moving Files I Finally Got An Apple Logo Great!..Not Really Because that’s all it would do.

i Tried EFI Folder From Guy Who Did Surface Pro 4 “Port” And after I While I Will Get Cross Where The Apple Logo Would Be So There’s Something Happening When Using His EFI ; Mines Will Just Hang At Apple Logo For As Long As I Let It 

With Verbose Boot Or Boot Flag -v 

I Get Errors Concerning OSXAptioFixDrv They Are Usually Different 
      If I Try OSXAptioFix2Drv I Get

if i try OSXAptioFixDrv I get 1 of 3 errors Typically Saying Similiar Things 
      About Relocating Memory 

Will Try To Add Photos 

This Is Not My First Hackintosh More Like 5th or 6th But Besides On HP Elitebook Revolve Where I Had Similar Issues Due To BIOS Settings 
      I simply CAN NOT Get It To Boot No Matter What I Do Or Edit Please Help Or Provide EFI Folder That Will Work For Me 
      For Now Looking To Upgrade BIOS as I think it has something to do with firmware being to old as this PC Is usually never connected to Wi-Fi unless I need to download something and I cannot stress I have done everything under the sun to get this to even boot the installer 
    • By irfan67670
      Hi all,

I have a perfectly working Mojave installation on my Dell 3537, i5-4200U, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 8GB RAM. When I tried to upgrade using Catalina, it got stuck on showing '8 hours and 54 minutes remaining' and then the time started increasing instead of decreasing. So I decided to create a bootable USB and when I boot it, it always gets stuck on one of these two lines (sometime one comes before the other..):

apfs_module_start: 1683: load: com.apple.filesystem.apfs, v1412 ....
        OR
        ApplePS2Controller: Notification consumer published: ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad

Things I have tried already and did nothing:
        - Removing VoodooPS2Controller kext and use external mouse/keyboard,
        - keep only minimal kexts in clover for booting (ethernet, smc etc)
        - clover patch to change ECDV to EC
        - Add SSDT-EC.aml to my patched ACPI folder in clover 

Next thing will try is removing VirtualSMC and use FakeSMC during installation, if anyone faced same issue and found a solution, please advise.

Thanks
      CLOVER.zip
    • By FreeJHack
      MacOS does not support natively the keyboard backlight for non-Apple hardware.
      I wrote an open source Kext project (ClevoService) to perform this task on Clevo laptops.
      It's fully working on my Clevo P9XXEN_EF_ED laptop with Mojave (18G95) and it should works on many other Clevo laptops.

If you own a Clevo laptop with full color backlight keyboard, take a look at:
      https://github.com/FreeJHack/ClevoService

The big advantage is that the backlight function is fully controlled from the numeric keypad and it's saved between boot/reboot and sleep/wake.
      You can change color, backlight level and ON/OFF.
      For the installation, download the kext from release page and follow the instruction given in the GitHub repository.
    • By Vyzantion
      I can not manage to install Catalina on this legacy Asus machine that runs Mojave fine. When the installer boots up, DiskUtility does not see the internal hard-drives, neither the master SATA one or the the slave, ATA one. I have discussed this already on the Clover section with Slice, he told that some kext seems to have changed from Mojave to Catalina, he told me to use IOReg. Since then, I have postponed my work on Catalina due to the issues regarding the Mojave supplemental updates.
      I have decided to start a new topic in here, due to visibility reasons and some new turn. The latest version of the dosdude1 patcher for unsupported Macs, discussed on Macrumors forums, patches the installer so that DiskUtility sees the internal hard-drives, I am able to install Catalina but, on first boot, the OS gets into a kernal panic with the message ”still waiting for root device”. I have searched online for this error, I have found Information regarding previous macOS versions with solutions that seem to have little to no relevance for the present issue.
      Before installation finishes, I receive a message like ”Installation finished on Macintosh HD Data”, instead of ”Installation finished on Macintosh HD”. I admit this split between the two in Catalina still confuses me, perhaps this is how it was suppose to be? Perhaps something that was suppose to end up on Macintosh HD ends in Macintosh HD Data?
      I admit the DVD-Rom and hard-drives are wired kinda of weird by some guy in a PC service, he said this is the optimum combination, something the ATA hard-drive is slave to the DVD-Rom. Perhaps this causes confusion into Catalina? On Mojave this configuration was fine. 
      Probably the solution suggested by Slice is the best, to replace one or more kext from Catalina with the Mojave versions of them. I do not know yet how to identify and replace them. If any other solutions seem possible, I am open to them.
      Specs:
      Asus P5P41TED motherboard.
      Intel Core 2 Duo E 8500 
      2 gb ram DDR 3