Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

Hello janek202 and thanks again for this excellent tool and updates!

Just to report a process bug on latest version 3.7.1:

When I check to fix (Maintenance tab) both Extra and /System/Library/Extensions, and if I don't have any "Extensions" folder in /Extra/ (I keep it renamed on purpose, had forgotten about it) then the error correctly pops-up but the /System/Library/Extensions permissions/cache process is never completed.

This means that the missing "Extensions" (or KextStore) in /Extra/ blocks & stops the process.

Perhaps you'd like to reconsider as to continue with /System/Library/Extensions/ and just report the /Extra/ problem?

Please see attached image. Thanks again!

post-465152-1307262121_thumb.png

Fixed in 3.7.3.

Now Extra options in maintenace and instalation will be disabled if no /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/KextStore directory exists (before only /Extra presence was being checked).

Thanks janek202 for your continuing work!

I would like to suggest that somewhere (perhaps in Preferences?) we can set the custom path to /Extra/Extensions/ as it may be different than the typical "Extensions" folder name on some PCs, for example on my Dell Mini 10v where I used Meklort's NetBookInstaller, the automated process created a folder "Mini10vExt" inside /Extra/ which holds the kexts. Just an idea. Perhaps in other automated installations, this folder has also different names...

...this is not for noobs, obviously :unsure:

EDIT: Is there a possibility to add the volume name in double-quotes " " so that it's indicative of the name, in the drop-down list selector? At first sight, looking at the listed names/items it could be confusing... Bold letters would be preferrable but knowing Xcode I am not sure it's easy to do so. Thanks.

how can I install it?

Thanks

by Marcuss

You have two ways...

1) Or wait until janek compile it with main resource...

2) You can compile the .xib file by yoursel with IB and add the .nib file into the "resource folder" apps (Resources)

Fabio

Because from unknown reason it shows kext's bundle-id wrong.

It should be "com.apple.driver.AppleRTC".

I don't have 10.6.8, maybe they changed something in kextstat in that version. Anyway I can fix that only when 10.6.8 will be relased.

Hi all.

Recently I was working on new utility for kexts. Seems to be finished, so I decided to show this app on international forum.

Features:

1. Maintenance: Repair permissions, and rebuild cache for Extra and System/Library/Extensions.

Both directories: Extra/Extensions and Extra/KextStore are supported.

2. Installation: Install kexts to Extra or S/L/E and create mkext.

3. Unpacker: Check mkext's content kexts and unpack it.

4. Kext Information: Check kext's architectures and dependencies.

5. Loaded: Shows list of currently loaded kexts in system.

There's no need to repair permissions in Disk Utility, after using this tool.

Installation and Maintenance can be executed for any OS X partition. Not only /.

Works on Snow Leopard and Lion.

Universal binary: x86_64 and i386.

Download links:

Current 3.7.6: http://cl.ly/7WlB

Kexts.com mirror: http://www.kexts.com/view/1331-kext_wizard_3.7.3.html

Please report me any bugs or ideas for new features.

I would never make this application without support and ideas by osx86.org.pl team. Thank you, guys!

btn_donate_LG.gif updates_by_sparkle.png

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
 INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR
 A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS 
OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
 WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, 
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

sskwi_en.PNG

sskwl_en.PNG

More pictures: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/7085278/1/K...zardEN?h=8ebeb6

hi janek

great tool, works great

here is translation for pt-Portugal

pt.lproj_Portugal_pt.zip

Because from unknown reason it shows kext's bundle-id wrong.

It should be "com.apple.driver.AppleRTC".

I don't have 10.6.8, maybe they changed something in kextstat in that version. Anyway I can fix that only when 10.6.8 will be relased.

hum... there's some bug; i'm on 10.6.7 and:

post-291566-1307828535_thumb.png

i noticed a while ago that the bundle-id's were wrong, but that went away on some app restart;

as you can see now they are correct, that's why i didn't feedback at the time.

Also, what is the text box between Reload and Export buttons for? Edit: dohoo :P

And Reveal button, i'm assuming it would reveal the selected kext, but it does nothing :rolleyes::)

Edited by Azimutz

hi janek

great tool, works great

here is translation for pt-Portugal

pt.lproj_Portugal_pt.zip

Thanks, but you also need to translate mainmenu.xib. Kext Wizard doesn't have translation function that read GUI titles from Localizable.strings.

Edit:

hum... there's some bug; i'm on 10.6.7 and:

post-291566-1307828535_thumb.png

i noticed a while ago that the bundle-id's were wrong, but that went away on some app restart;

as you can see now they are correct, that's why i didn't feedback at the time.

Also, what is the text box between Reload and Export buttons for?

And Reveal button, i'm assuming it would reveal the selected kext, but it does nothing unsure.gif smile.gif

I don't know what's wrong...

Everything seems to work on my system. The textbox should show kext's path. It looks like you have this kext in custom location (app searches for them only in /S/L/E and /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/KextStore, by default). I'll look on that in a free time. The "Reveal", "Reload" and "Unload" buttons depends on proper kext's path in the text box.

post-486066-1307829904_thumb.png

Everything seems to work on my system. The textbox should show kext's path. It looks like you have this kext in custom location (app searches for them only in /S/L/E and /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/KextStore, by default). I'll look on that in a free time. The "Reveal", "Reload" and "Unload" buttons depends on proper kext's path in the text box.

Janek, still not fixed...

No costume paths for the kexts! The only costume location i have is the app's one; it's in a Applications folder on my home dir

(properly recognized by the system), which is on a separate partition; i didn't mentioned this earlier because everything related

with paths that i tested so far, works properly.

Anyway, i tried moving it to System's App folder and still the same, all kexts show as unknown, no path on text box and no archs checked.

Can't think of anything else too... let me check it on another install...

Update: no difference from other system, also 10.6.7.

Edited by Azimutz

Does "Save list of loaded kexts into txt file" menu item work correctly?

yep, no problems with that... always worked fine.

Thanks, but you also need to translate mainmenu.xib. Kext Wizard doesn't have translation function that read GUI titles from Localizable.strings.

Edit:

hi janek

now i think is done the translation , if something wrong tell me please ..

regards

pt.lproj_Portugal_pt.zip

Does "Save list of loaded kexts into txt file" menu item work correctly?

You should have list of loaded kexts with kext pathes and architectures...

+1. Works fine. All kexts appear in the .txt file list, including the respective information for path and architectures.