Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

- when installing a kext to E/E, permissions are set for the Extra folder and not only to E/E; you should change that.

Ok, I will change that.

- on the same matter, why doesn't the above option create E/E.mkext?

Mkext is created only when "rebuild mkext" option is selected. But if it exists it will be updated after any kext change etc.

Also, can you explain the logic and mechanics behind the "Extensions.mkext on desktop" option?.. i'm afraid to use it :P

we need to specify a kext for installation to make it work, but were is the kext installed to?

The mkext, is it created from E/E or S/L/E?

No, it simply creates mkext from selected kexts and saves it on desktop.

All selected kexts are copied into hidded folder on desktop, then mkext is created and folder is removed. No changes in /S/L/E or /E are performed.

It can be useful to build bootcd etc.

I thought every piece of hardware had a unique identifier. Someone needs to setup a kext archive site that your program can just compare to the local computer and get whatever is needed (like Microsoft Update I guess is what I am used to)

OK, so where do I get kexts? The only thing that doesn't work on my laptop right now is the webcam. Everything else is fine.

Edit: Found somethin called CamTwist for my webcam, gonna try it out. Still would like to know where the centralized library of kexts are.

Never heard of a centralized library of kexts. Have you tried the nawcom ModCD or nawcom ModUSB? It got me up and running on my first attempt. I believe it figures out what kexts it thinks you need and installs them. After you get your hackintosh up and running check out MalLdon's DSDT patching thread. Or check out kexts.com's patched DSDT repository for a patched DSDT for your system. A patched DSDT added features and stability to my system. Restart and Sleep now work reliably. I was also able to ditch the nullcpumanagement kext.

Another thing you have to realize is that unlike Windows 7 ALOT of hardware simply is not supported in any way in the Mac/Hackintosh universe. One thing that chaps my hide is the fact that internal PCI/PCIe cards are poorly supported. I went on a rant about TV tuner cards in another thread. I am glad I tried out a hackintosh before buying a mac. I would still buy a mac laptop for its durability but a mac desktop is out of the question for most of my computing needs.

There aren't as many programs for the mac either. Codecs are a pain in the rear. In Windows 7 I can download the Divx codec pack and the AC3Filter for free and watch 99% of the video that comes my way including .mkv right in Windows Media player.

Ok, I will change that.

Nice...

Mkext is created only when "rebuild mkext" option is selected. But if it exists it will be updated after any kext change etc.

I knew i was missing something... forgot about the Maintenance pane :P

Ok, i will test this better when you update the Extra permissions stuff...

No, it simply creates mkext from selected kexts and saves it on desktop.

All selected kexts are copied into hidded folder on desktop, then mkext is created and folder is removed. No changes in /S/L/E or /E are performed.

It can be useful to build bootcd etc.

yeah, i'm not questioning the usefulness of the option, was just confused about how it works.

Will give it a try later...

Thanks.

This app's kernel prelinking functionality still fails to implement on my external hard drive with the following error:

:blink:

Error starting permissions repair for disk1s2 Mac OS X 10.7: Permissions are not enabled on the disk (-9973)

:wacko:

This app's kernel prelinking functionality still fails to implement on my external hard drive with the following error:

:blink:

Error starting permissions repair for disk1s2 Mac OS X 10.7: Permissions are not enabled on the disk (-9973)

:wacko:

Try to uncheck "Ignore ownership on this volume" option.

volume%20ownership.png

Use Tab button.

When it wil look like on a screen, use key arrows to change tab.

I know it's quite complicated, but versions before 3.0 didn't have toolbar, and I was to lazy to make whole interface all over again.

post-486066-1306768042_thumb.png

EDIT : ok , it's done !!! :P

Kext Wizard first french translation : fr.lproj.zip

Could you also upload .xib file? I need it for Xcode, Currently I have to add nib file manually after compilation...

New test build.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Kext_Wizard/Kext-Wizard.zip

Permissions set only for /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/KextStore instead of whole /Extra.

Added french translation.

Edit, I forgot to add link, sorry... ;)

I'm almost done with german translations, please take a look on the pics because some things

are not shown properly... because of size restrictions ??

toolbar.tiff

maintenance.tiff

kextstat.tiff

Yep. Every component has limited space for title... Try to write that shorter. I don't know if it's safe to change it's size, some functions requires exact component size...

Edit: This "Done"?

/* done_caption */

"Done" = "Done";

yeah it's the "Done" button, can't find it anywhere and it seems strange to me that i.e the french translations from fantomas have the same size as mine ( in maintenance window ) but mine are not shown proper...

if you could point me to the button i'll fix it

yeah it's the "Done" button, can't find it anywhere and it seems strange to me that i.e the french translations from fantomas have the same size as mine ( in maintenance window ) but mine are not shown proper...

if you could point me to the button i'll fix it

I don't know what "Done" button are you talking about... :D

Maybe, you will just translate all titiles, save this file into xib (so I can edit it), send it to me and I will try to fix it's size?

Could you also upload .xib file? I need it for Xcode, Currently I have to add nib file manually after compilation...

New test build.

Permissions set only for /Extra/Extensions or /Extra/KextStore instead of whole /Extra.

Added french translation.

Edit, I forgot to add link, sorry... :D

MainMenu.xib : MainMenu.zip

French translation fix : fr.lproj.zip

button " Select other " in " Unpacker " tab dont works because of the too long Unpack directory

I don't know what "Done" button are you talking about... :D

Maybe, you will just translate all titiles, save this file into xib (so I can edit it), send it to me and I will try to fix it's size?

when you open toolbar customization... there's the button !

there's no short word for "export" in german language ( would be "exportieren" )...

btw we are famous for our complicated and assembled word constructions :D

just give it a try with it and we may be lucky with the outcome...

de.lproj.zip

button " Select other " in " Unpacker " tab dont works because of the too long Unpack directory

Fixed. Works on my system.

New test build. Added new versions of translations.

Please check if everything is ok.

Edit:

when you open toolbar customization... there's the button !

Don't worry about it. Toolbar Customization window is a part of the OS X and it can't be translated... It should be ok.

Hi Janek... E/E install permissions are fine :)

I have another one for you; this one is a missing feature; Chameleon supports loading kexts/mkext from

"OS specific folders", e.g. /Extra/10.6/Extensions. The lack of this feature makes it hard for me to test the app,

since i have my Extra folder organized like that:

post-291566-1306838255_thumb.png

1.1 GB on disk (1,076,974,672 bytes) for 1,473 items :P

Do you mind adding that?

Chameleon handles these folders like this:

- checks and retrieves OS version on the volume being booted "getOSVersion()"

- adds OS version to the default path "sprintf(dirSpecExtra, "bt(0,0)/Extra/%s/", &gMacOSVersion);"

- checks for the existence of the folder; if it doesn't find it, uses the default

Maybe the simplest way of implementing the feature is by adding a "browse" button...

What do you think?

Hi Janek... E/E install permissions are fine :)

I have another one for you; this one is a missing feature; Chameleon supports loading kexts/mkext from

"OS specific folders", e.g. /Extra/10.6/Extensions. The lack of this feature makes it hard for me to test the app,

since i have my Extra folder organized like that:

post-291566-1306838255_thumb.png

1.1 GB on disk (1,076,974,672 bytes) for 1,473 items :P

Do you mind adding that?

Chameleon handles these folders like this:

- checks and retrieves OS version on the volume being booted "getOSVersion()"

- adds OS version to the default path "sprintf(dirSpecExtra, "bt(0,0)/Extra/%s/", &gMacOSVersion);"

- checks for the existence of the folder; if it doesn't find it, uses the default

Maybe the simplest way of implementing the feature is by adding a "browse" button...

What do you think?

I will try to add this. But I think, the easiest way would be to add new menu...

Well, you're the app developer; do it the best way you can think of... we'll feedback on the result :)