ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

Salut,

I don't know what happenend to your system after installing the second hd drive. But I've tried this "cloning" several times with the Apple migration assistant, and it ended every time with a kernel panic, sometimes after doint its job for one or two hours, but never successful.

So I did the hard way of re-installing everything and decided not to touch anything sensible anymore. Instead of cloning the complete system I just made a backup using ChronoSync, which helps me to update the backup from time to time.

Regards

JL

hi bennals!

first of all, i dont think you need the biker880 ich7 patch, maybe thats the reason for your kernal panics.

Does your original Install work? If yes, good.

Try the following:

Install OSX with INTEL SSE3 and GMA950 Option on you new HD. Before Installing, format your HD with MBR Option using Disk Util (Partition->Options).

It should boot without problems. I have 4 x S-ATA HDs and 1x IDE HD and ix IDE Burner with my Asrock and it works VERY well.

With this initial Install, you make shure that everything is set ready for booting from that disk.

Then clone your old Harddisk with a tool like carbon copy cloner WITHOUT checking the "make bootable" option!

I use TriBackup then for my daily backups and check from time to time if i can boot from my backup - works flawless.

With my config everything works so well, that i use the hacki as my main machine at the moment!

Thanks rhalls. Yep, the biker880 patch was the problem. I guess it pays to find out what patches are for before installing them willy nilly. Good to hear you have success using CCC. In Superduper you don't have the option to switch off the blessing of the drive so perhaps that was messing with the MBR?

Cheers.

Bill.

Hi Bennals, I don't think SuperDuper is the problem - it works great for me. I make a "SmartUpdate" of my SATA-drive on an external FireWire drive every week. I can boot from it after typing rd=disk1s2 in the darwin boot-prompt, as OSX is the second partition on the FW-drive.

• 2 weeks later...
so has anyone try to overclock a e4300 with this board(asrockconroe945) yet? if so, can you plz give me the steps that u did.

thxxx

This board so far can only OC about 10%. I've tried it with different boards and CPUs and have been unable to do better,.

Question for anyone who has used a E6320 CPU: Why doesnt it behave like the other CPUs? I had a completely working system that worked with a 805 and a e4300 cpu. I upgraded to a e6350 and had the following:

1) a kernel panic upon bootup that only went away once I turned speedstep off in the bios.

2) unable to shut down. it will stop at the blue screen.

THX

Great scores with E6600 @X6800 2.93GHZ + 2GB @ 325FSB C4 + WD 5000AAKS + on board graphics

Just copied the partition of my previous install to this new hard drive:

Results 188.48

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0

CPU Test 151.42

Thread Test 294.61

Memory Test 175.82

Quartz Graphics Test 221.61

OpenGL Graphics Test 344.87

User Interface Test 647.05

Disk Test 80.03

ps: gunitman avoid the e4300, asrock doesn't like the 200fsb strap of the cpu (maximum was 245fsb=2.2GHZ)

• 2 weeks later...
This board so far can only OC about 10%. I've tried it with different boards and CPUs and have been unable to do better,.

Question for anyone who has used a E6320 CPU: Why doesnt it behave like the other CPUs? I had a completely working system that worked with a 805 and a e4300 cpu. I upgraded to a e6350 and had the following:

1) a kernel panic upon bootup that only went away once I turned speedstep off in the bios.

2) unable to shut down. it will stop at the blue screen.

THX

i have been able to get the e4400 upto 250 fsb (starting from 200) on my asrock conroe945 (just need to set pcie at 112 ), if you do the bsel mod on the e4xx cpus to convert them to 1066 mhz, you can go possibly till 300-310 fsb, yielding higher overclock coz of higher multiplier of the e4xx cpus than e6xxx cpus

hi all, thinking of using asrock conroe945g for my hackintosh. i'm just curious, since it has only one IDE (PATA) connector, if connect my dvd-rw in it and my harddisk in a SATA connector, will I have any problems installing osx on it? if it works ok i will buy this mobo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got HDD on IDE and DVD-RW on SATA and had no problems at all with JaS 10.4.8 (yet to do the upgrade to 10.4.9, install ALC888audio.pkg and test sound output).

I've got a P4 805D overclocked to 3GHz (going to try PCI-e sync to see if it'll go higher). Got this system as a cheap entry to PCI-e graphics so I can upgrade my way to something better, which is why the CPU is so old (and because I wanted something that would OC well). Having OSX on it makes a nice upgrade from my G4 desktop, although it's still not as good as my MBP (yet!)

FYI: Latest Running Bios is 1.9 on ASROCK site. Works well with no issues.

Just finished a successful 10.4.10 update with the new 8.10.1 kernel. Very straight forward per the 10.4.10 thread. Carry forward all of the GMA950 kexts (if you are on the onboard graphics) and all of the kexts posted in the thread plus anything that you have altered personally. Use the new System.kext from the 10.4.10 updater if you are updating to the new kernel 8.10.1 otherwise DMG's and USB's won't mount. Use old System.kext if you are staying with your 10.4.8/9 kernel. If you are nVidia or ATI... make sure you carry all of the 10.4.8/9 kexts with you or you won't have a system.

• 2 weeks later...
Sailfish, I think you had problems with the dmg's not mounting. Have you solved it ?

This installer ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=55526 ) posted on bay, works for us? Have someone tried it ?

My DMG's weren't mounting because I backed up my System.kext from 10.4.9 and restored it to my 10.4.10 Installation. That was OK except for the fact that I was using the 8.10.1 Kernel. Once I got the 10.4.10 System.kext back in place, everything was perfect!

Regarding Azalia Audio above... You need to back that up as well and restore it AND repair the permissions to it. Otherwise (if you lost it) start from scratch just like you did the first install of it.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, i recently updated to 10.4.10 from:

audio - azalia driver, LAN - realtek 10000 driver, and 10.4.8 (with all updates)

search for: koolkat 10.4.10 intel combo from the usual places

and use these packages:

MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.10 Intel only hpet

kernel 8.10.1_kernel_SSE3_intel_hpet

Patches and Drivers:

Network: (only check) Realtek R10000

SATA & ATA Drivers: (only check) IOATAFamily +ich8 sata

Sound Drivers: (only check) Azalia Audio

i checked ONLY the above packages and i've had a stable system since i did (couple days ago).

fyi, on the restart after installing, the system restarted twice, not sure why but after that it was normal.

-d

hey guys, i recently updated to 10.4.10 from:

audio - azalia driver, LAN - realtek 10000 driver, and 10.4.8 (with all updates)

search for: koolkat 10.4.10 intel combo from the usual places

and use these packages:

MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.10 Intel only hpet

kernel 8.10.1_kernel_SSE3_intel_hpet

Patches and Drivers:

Network: (only check) Realtek R10000

SATA & ATA Drivers: (only check) IOATAFamily +ich8 sata

Sound Drivers: (only check) Azalia Audio

i checked ONLY the above packages and i've had a stable system since i did (couple days ago).

fyi, on the restart after installing, the system restarted twice, not sure why but after that it was normal.

-d

does sleep work for you?