ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

It's on the installation DVD, click Customize button before proceeding to the last installation step, and select those three packages.

Combo Update is basically the oficcial 10.4.8 components

Azalia is the driver for the onboard Audio

Kernel si the core of the Mac OS X. You can choose Mifki's kernel or Semthex's kernel. It doesn't matter which one is chosen, because you have to update it to the newest version anyway. So it's better to choose semthex's one at the moment since it does have less restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, has anyone tried this motherboard with Intel E4300? I got a problem that I can't overclock beyond 2.1G. Any suggestions?

how did you even get it to work? I cannot get my e4300 even to post! My board orginally had the 1.2 bios. I updated it and put in the e4300 and nothing happens. I am running with one 1 GB 667 stick, have nothing else on and it wont post. I called ASrock and they tried the same and theirs wouldnt post either. What are you doing to even get it to post? I reset the bios as well. What was your original bios? (Wondering if they changed the board after 1.2)

THX

It should work fine, but you'll have to re-connect the DVI cable to a port on GF8800 everytime you boot Windows to use that card. Or you have to own a monitor with two DVI inputs... as long as you don't want to be on analog.

Edited by Infamous

my first post.

i've launched myself into the pc hardware component market. i've never built a system since i've been a mac user my whole life. but i can't resist the low prices of making my own system :)

i just ordered:

CPU CORE 2 DUO E6400 314.00

CASE + POWER SUPPLY EAGLETECH ATX 450W 28.95

RAM 2X 1GB DDR2 667 126.05

MOTHERBOARD ASROCK CONROE945G-DVI 78.21

CD/DVDRW MY OWN - PIONEER DVR-108 0.00

HDD MY OWN - Maxtor 80GB 7200 0.00

TOTAL 547.21

Once it all comes, I hope to write about the whole process, from the point of view of someone who's never done something like this before. From what I've read here, most of the kernel/software issues are motherboard-specific, so I am posting in this thread :P

I don't plan on having a dedicated monitor for this computer- I plan on using it as a dedicated workstation/server/media pc, so the only monitor will be my new 42" 1080p LCD from westinghouse, hopefully the DVI on this board will be able to handle it.

More to come, thanks for all the info...

Holy cow! Dual Boot AND Parallels working. Only things left are sound and sleep.

After 2 days, figured how to get a dual boot XP that Parallels also was able to boot off of:

My config: 2 HD, one dedicated to XP. Use f11 to decide which disk to boot off.

Partitioned other disk using seagate tools into 2 partitions, both FAT32 compatible with XP. This is an important step. Then put XP in on partition. Copied the boot camp support files into the partition. Then changed boot OS, and ran parallels. Installed tools, and voila, it works. Strange, in parallels XP window, cant access the other FAT32 partition, but just made it a shared folder and it all works. This way I can choose whether to run XP native or simultaneously.

If you dont use the seagate tools, then you have no control over the MBR. At one point, it somehow got a GUID partition map instead of a MBR. Hosed up the hard disk and had to access it via a USB adapter to get it back alive.

There is a new kernel that supports SpeedStep. I'm using it now. My 1.8 GHz E6300 CPU has throttled back to 1.5GHz and is running cooler. There is no noticable performance loss that I've seen. Under full load the CPU runs back to full speed.

Blow me sideways! With some tinkering in the BIOS this SpeedStep kernel has got sleep (suspend to RAM) working.

It goes to sleep and wakes up just like a real Mac, and that's FAST!

Overclocking or underclocking the FSB seems to break this kernel. This doesn't matter to me as I underclocked to keep the temp down. Now SpeedStep does the same job so no need to underclock anymore.

Click here to see my system.

Can anyone help - I am so so close but its just not starting! (After at least 10 and rising reinstalls)

My setup:

CPU CORE 2 DUO E6400

CASE + POWER SUPPLY HIPER R ATX 580W

CORSAIR 2X 1GB DDR2 6400

ASROCK CONROE945G-DVI (BIOS updated to 1.6)

PIONEER DVR-112DBK

NVIDIA 6600

WD 160GB IDE

SATA 500gb (non apple formatted)

APPLE USB KEYBOARD

MICROSOFT WIRELESS USB MOUSE.

I am using the latest "JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich

-R.patch.Integrated" (semthex 8.8.1)

If I install with Nvidia N40 drivers, Intel SSE2 SSE3 - the system starts up, apple icon shows up and the 'star' starts spinning and after a while mentions that I need to restart my system. The same thing happens with a fresh install with just the Intel SSE2 SSE3 installed.

Can anyone help at all - it seems so close!

Is it to do with the BIOS? does 1.6 work? I read a lot about 1.4 working ok. Or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks v much:)

ps the Hard drive is set as master.

pps 10.4.6 works perfectly.

ppps the 2 pics are from the same -v

EDIT - Disabling the USB Legacy support has got it working! v happy:);)

post-85557-1172456895_thumb.jpg

post-85557-1172456904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrisp7

HOW TO FIX "CLEAR COMMAND, BUS ERROR" ISSUE???

I'm trying to run "scriptv3.command" to update kernel and always get this Bus error following by Kernel panic after this script runs Clear command.

There is a new kernel that supports SpeedStep. I'm using it now. My 1.8 GHz E6300 CPU has throttled back to 1.5GHz and is running cooler. There is no noticable performance loss that I've seen. Under full load the CPU runs back to full speed.

Blow me sideways! With some tinkering in the BIOS this SpeedStep kernel has got sleep (suspend to RAM) working.

It goes to sleep and wakes up just like a real Mac, and that's FAST!

Overclocking or underclocking the FSB seems to break this kernel. This doesn't matter to me as I underclocked to keep the temp down. Now SpeedStep does the same job so no need to underclock anymore.

Click here to see my system.

but after working on the console for a while I noticed strange behaviour when using "clear". If I enter it on the console it always gives back a "bus error" when I type it in twice or more I get a kernel panic.

Anyone of you any idea how to fix this nasty bug? Roundabout the system is working very smooth and fine but the console is IMHO a part of it, so it should be working too. :)

He stiffler, have your tried booting with "-legacy" option? i noticed when in wanted to update the kernel through one of the scripts on this forum the very problem you describe, but when in boot in legacy mode (32bit) the problem is gone...

anyways, you seem to be the only on that got the 5 channel sound working... care to fill us in??

greetz,

gijs

which best network card (nic) for the asrock conroe-94d5vi ?

i have netgear ga311 an d onboard nic but it seems to have stability problem (sometimes file transfer in afp freeze ) with driver RTLxx ?

have any idea ?

thanks

Salut,

got sleep mode running on my system. After installing the speed step package (see post #689) it was still not able to wake up from sleep. So I upgraded the BIOS to 1.50 and now it seems to be up and running with the options described in the previous posting #694. Takes a lot longer than waking up on a Mac (about 10 seconds).

Will save my work though before going to sleep for the next couple of days ;-)

JL

Edited by JeanLuc7

On 10.4.8 with my ConRoe945G-DVI and BIOS 1.6 it didn't wake from sleep.

So after installing the SpeedStep package it woke (Well SpeedStep doesn't really bother me, since I only got an Celeron D 326 2.53@3GHz) but now it wakes from sleep but immediately freezes. Anyone experienced this?

Salut,

did you wait long enough? I tested it several times. Depending on the runnig software (or whatever) my system sometimes almost takes a minute before everything's going on again. Even the "I'm-very-busy" ball does not rotate for a while.

JL

I have frequent kernel panics with the Asrock Board when playing video (doesnt matter if VLC, MPayer or QuickTime), Jas 10.4.8 latest release, Semthex kernel beta 8 ? or 9 ? NVidia 7600 GS 256 MB and Natit Dual 0.2 Driver. What may be the cause ? Kernel ? Natit ? whats the newest semthex kernel out there and where to dl it ? maybe that may fix something.

Updated BIOS from 1.30 to 1.60... Still no sleep. Anyone can give me some tips, so that I can finally enjoy a bit of sleep too? :unsure:

Copied the BIOS configuration suggested, alas, no luck yet.

Edited by TorqueX86