ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

yup heard that it boost the performance.............

but i dont have the 10.4.8 dvd......... here instructions are posted to upgrade the kernel if we already have 8.8.1 one

i have tried to upgrade to 10.4.8 and messed up :rolleyes: ....had to reinstall

but i dont have the 10.4.8 dvd......... here instructions are posted to upgrade the kernel if we already have 8.8.1 one

I'm getting 195.4 using the 64bit Geekbench. This is with OS X 10.4.8 on 8.8.1 darwin. This was with a few apps running, I don't know if that make much difference to the result. Just gona try the 32 bit version in a minute. For comparision here is the result for my 2.3GHz G5 PowerMac (149.1).

64bit_geekbench.txt

Edited by ritalin

Yeah, going to 10.4.8 isn't as easy as it could be, and you lose Sleep (literally, and electronically :-)) functinoality. It appears to work pretty well, though, if you don't mind the sleep issue and hack sound to work again.

-Dan

well, it seems the P4D820 I have is not so much {censored} after all :P

So I will wait to have enough cash to buy at least a C2D E6600... (I might have to wait quite a long time...)

Weird thing is I never managed to run geekbench 64 with this thing, whereas it is supposed to run in 64bit mode (it is activated at boot time, and HPET is running in 64bit mode in BIOS, don't know what is missing...

RAM Ramblings

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry274162

I have been sensitive to the 3.24 GB limitation issue ever since I paid for and installed 4 GB's. I primarily work in either XP or Vista and had over time just accepted the fact that is just the way it is. My OS's report my RAM as thus:

Windows XP Professional SP2 : 3.24GB

Windows Vista Business RTM(32) : 3.24GB

Linux Ubuntu 6.1 : 3.24GB

JaS OSx86 10.4.8 (Semthex 8) : 4.00GB (reported in "About this Mac")

: 1.00GB x 4 (reported in "System Profiler")

I have no supporting data for this claim, but it had been suggested that is better/faster to run 4 GB's of RAM in the Dual Channel mode than it is to run 3 GB's piece meal. Either 2 x 2 GB's or 4 x 1 GB's even if you are wasting .75 GB's.

Further research reveals: To see all 4Gb of RAM, you need a machine with PAE support and the right OS (Windows Server 2003 standard edition doesn't support PAE, or WinXP64, or Vista32)....if your machine supports PAE and you have the right OS you might be able to solve this fully in theory… Actually, in theory, any 64 bit OS should give you full access to the 4GB of RAM. That is not the case obviously. The best idea is to add the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file and see what happens... Basically, those 3/4's of a Gig go in the trash because the OS does not see it (not used by OS or system AT ALL). Think of it as a 3.24 GB overwriting "loop".

My machine is a stock E6600 with 4 GB's of RAM and is as quick as I could hope it to be. I run SolidWorks CAD on the Windows side along with an entire magazine layout in the Adobe Suite without any delays. In OSx we edit videos for the magazine in Final Cut and it words beautifully. The system NEVER crashes or even hesitates. I have NO idea if I am utilizing all 4 Gb's or not on the Mac side... I do know for sure that I am NOT on any of the other OS's. So this is a limitation of both the OS and ALL of the Intel chipsets. Not just the 945... add the 915, 965 and the 975 to the list as well.

RAM Ramblings

I have been sensitive to the 3.24 GB limitation issue ever since I paid for and installed 4 GB's. I primarily work in either XP or Vista and had over time just accepted the fact that is just the way it is. My OS's report my RAM as thus:

: 1.00GB x 4 (reported in "System Profiler")

I have no supporting data for this claim, but it had been suggested that is better/faster to run 4 GB's of RAM in the Dual Channel mode than it is to run 3 GB's piece meal. Either 2 x 2 GB's or 4 x 1 GB's even if you are wasting .75 GB's.

Interesting, what do you see in Activity Monitor under system memory?

i have a small problem and i dont want to start a new thread for that so im posting it here

do any of you know how to increase the boot time while loading darwin

im using darwin bootloader to boot

i have to keep on pressing F8 while booting .........to choose windows as it immediately boots to mac....

still trying to update to 10.4.8

i have a small problem and i dont want to start a new thread for that so im posting it here

do any of you know how to increase the boot time while loading darwin

im using darwin bootloader to boot

i have to keep on pressing F8 while booting .........to choose windows as it immediately boots to mac....

still trying to update to 10.4.8

Google is real good for this and allows you to "short cut" into the forum with better and more specific search tools.... Anyway....

Locate this file:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Drag it to desktop to edit and add:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

10 equals 10 seconds so put in there whatever you want.

Drag it back where it belongs repair permissions.

RAM Ramblings

Interesting to read your results and more so interesting that you have a quad boot set up. I had a tri boot set up and it worked nicely. Then I tried to install windows xp. It didn't get past the detecting hardware screen. Fine, no problem, I thought, it just wasn't happy at the idea of being samwitched between the OS X partition and an extended partition that contained partitions for Acronis OS, partitions for Linux SUSE and one for storeage. I would simply fire up OS X, make it unjournaled and then use Acronis Disk manager or QTparted (one allows you to move an osx86 partition, the other allows you to resize it, can't remember which way around) then move 10.4.8 to the right, so the partition order would be Vista beta, XP home, 10.4.8, Extended partition containing partitions for Acronis OS, SUSE and Storage.

- but OSX no longer showed up by name on the Acronis OS boot screen. I clicked on the entry where it was before and I got a message about a non bootable unidentified. Great... Well, like even the gurus on this board I have hosed the mbr of Vista beta and Tiger any number of times and repair iinstalled Acronis OS but on this occasion none of those worked. I fired up Gparted, my partition manager of choice (though not for moving or resizing OSX86 partitions). The partition table existed exactly as before but the OSX partitions no longer was named OSX. Unfortunately partition managers only identify the size of your OSX partition and that it is HFS+; they don't tell you how much data is used or how much space within the partition. I fired up Knoppix live CD (linux). The 'OSX' partition was identified as I had written it 'OSX' but it was not mountable. Finally, in the space where I intended to install XP, I turned that space into Fat32, made it 'active' and, more importantly set Vista to hidden. Having installed a second OSX I hoped to be able to get into my original OSX partition from it, however unlikely that seemed. And of course it didn't work. I need to find a way to rescue that partition as it has 30gigs of data moved from my mother's Mac Mini to it. Having done so, and if anyone can help it would be a godsend, I need to set up a quad bootable HD and would similary be grateful of any pointers toward a step by step tutorial that doesn't require constanly repairing MBRs or repairing OS Selector, which so many people take for granted.

Edited by Detosx

Fix the time problem and you will probably improve the xbench score.

It could be that your FSB speed needs to be set in the com.apple.Boot.plist, I believe the early 10.4.8 Darwin 8.8.1 kernel failed to detect this correctly.

Type uname -a in Terminal to find the date of your Kernel. I have Nov 27 (I think this is Beta 8) which doesn't have the time problem.

If you would like to try updating your kernel and you are using semthex 8.8.1 try this.

Edited by ritalin

hi gueys i just updated to 10.4.8 :)

but my xbench score has not im proved much

before its 94 now its 97????

how to increase my xbench result???

here is the result attached...........

109Pts for CPU test is GOOD.

my P4D820 is below 70Pts at CPU test. overall score is increased by other stuff like fast memory and graphics card for me, HD tests are usually quite low on SATA devices (but yours are really low)

yes it is very slow indeed...........what might be the reasons??

i downloaded the xbench1.3 now and tested it came to 110

and without hd test it is 159........

and i have the latest semthex kernel( beta 8) it self............i verified it as you said its nov27 only

I got this motherboard on the weekend, but haven't played with OSX install yet. Trying to test and tweak the BIOS settings for overclocking at this stage.

I'm only able to hit fsb 305 and pcie async at 112. Any higher, the system will be unstable running Orthos in Windows XP, while higher fsb (~320) gives me no POST at all.

How is it that some people are able to hit 350 stable? Here's my system spec:

- Asrock Conroe945G-DVI

- Intel E6300 (stock cooler)

- OCZ Gold DDR2-667

- using bundled DVI card

- WD 320GB SATA drive

- Seagate 60GB PATA drive

- BenQ 1640 DVDRW

- Antec Aria case with 300w 20-pin ps

The memory is running below spec, and I doubt the drives will cause it to not POST at all.

One thing I observed is that the southbridge is extremely hot. Could an overheated southbridge be the culprit? I'm running this in a small case with poor ventilation, so perhaps a better heatsink on that will help?

Also, could the power supply be a limiting factor to how much juice the mb requires to booting up at the higher fsb?

For those who have a highly overclocked (let's say >333fsb) stable system, can you post your system specs? Ryanux? Infamous?

Thanks!

Depends on your RAM, from my experience.

I could boot at 350 (stable) with Apacer, Kingston.

I've bought 3x1GB A-Data and can't even post at 319. Even if I use only one module...

Interesting... I tested my memory at 333MHz at 4-4-4-13 and passed before trying to o/c my FSB to 306 with 1:1 setting.

I would have thought something would happen (screen corruption, Orthos or memtest failure, etc.) before it would fail to POST altogether.

Does anyone know the DRAM Voltage setting in the BIOS? High, middle, low = ??? volts?

Thanks.