ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

So after a while of reading I decided to join the club of the ASrock users. After installing JaS 10.4.8 all seemed to work like a charm. Network and GMA950 are working fine, I even got full ALC888 support with speakers, mic and line in, but after working on the console for a while I noticed strange behaviour when using "clear". If I enter it on the console it always gives back a "bus error" when I type it in twice or more I get a kernel panic. This strange behaviour has been also noticed on this board here and here, sadly without any solution.

I've used JaS 10.4.8 - in the installer it reports to be "JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 beta2", I'm thinking about trying the Jas 10.4.8 PPF1 patch or maybe even the older SSE3-only release.

My configuration:

ASRock Conroe945G-DVI with Bios release 1.40

Intel Pentium D820

2x OCZ 667-555 XTC SE (OCZ2SE6672GK) 1GB DDR2-667 RAM

LG GSA-H12NBB 12x Dual-Layer DVD-Writer

Samsung SpinPoint SP2504C 250GB SATA2 HDD-Drive

Tried a lot of possible bios configurations, even removed one memory module. Also tried to boot with the mifki-kernel but it directly panics, the only working kernel is the Semthex - tried it with beta8 and beta9 - always the same "bus error" on the console.

Anyone of you any idea how to fix this nasty bug? Roundabout the system is working very smooth and fine but the console is IMHO a part of it, so it should be working too. :thumbsdown_anim:

Edited by stifler

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this.

I tripple boot. Today I decided to catch up with instaling drivers on my non essential (meaning MS windows, XP). One of the drivers on the 945G-DVI download's page is an inf driver (it tells the operating system how best to interact with the motherboard). I installed it and - XP froze. I have seen this sort of thing before. You install the USB patch from the old JAS 10.4.8 reissue DVD and it fritziz your 945G-DVI's USB until you go to the Apple developer site and download the most recent USB installer for 10.4.8. I rebooted and found I was still locked out, at the admin password screen. Great. I rebooted, this time with a non USB keyboard and mouse. The mouse worked fine but not the keyboard. Damn. I then rebooted and pressed F8 to get into Windows Safe Mode. Using a non USB keyboard and mouse I was able to gain access. I checked the install log and sure enough the inf was the last thing I was installing when the freeze had happened. I usually turn off XP's System Restore to get a little extra performance out of the slow coach but on this occasion I had not. Unfortunately I had installed a good number of programs and System Restore is just plain messy, really requiring that you delete a lot of files and registry entries manually. Anal of me but I am going to reinstall XP. The inf's read me file says that what occured did so because I was using a pre SP2 XP2 install disc (not in fact the case); it listed a workaround but also mentioned, and I am paraphrasing here, that the above won't occur if you are installing with non USB rodents and keyboards. Hmm... In device manager you could see that USB had been fritzed and would need a driver install.

Not sure how many of you dual or tripple boot or if you have experienced the above. According to Microsoft it doesn't always happen and, according the inf read me file shouldn't happen at all with SP2 XP install CDs.

Fun and games... as they say! No, really, I love reinstalling things. No, really! It can turn you into one of those people who gets up to wash their hands every five minutes, because... :)

Edited by Detosx

but after working on the console for a while I noticed strange behaviour when using "clear". If I enter it on the console it always gives back a "bus error" when I type it in twice or more I get a kernel panic. This strange behaviour has been also noticed on this board here and here, sadly without any solution.

I just hopped into console and started clearing logs to give this a shot... Finally I ran out of logs to clear. Couldn't replicate the crash. I have the SSE3 only reseed running and have been switching between Semthex beta8 and sf9.

The beta8 kernel has been exceptionally stable... So has sf9 but I haven't had as many hours into it as the others yet

Will someone please tell Infamous which one to use! ... so that I know too! :) If I remember correctly I think I tried each in turn and had no luck getting it work. :( The wind and the rain - why? Why?! (crying emoction)

Edited by Detosx

I've tried some combinations but none works. Maybe there's something to set in Utilities/Audio MIDI or we should plug the speakers to the other output?

stifler, can you please tell us? Nobody have been successful with this driver yet on Asrock Conroe 945G DVI

Any joy, Infamous?

I tried to boot into my XP and Vista beta partitions and got an error message "autochk program not found - skipping auto check". The bootup then failed. I did a Google search and didn't find anything very helpful, beyond that the partiton in question may be a hidden one (new indeed - I have never experienced not being able to unhide partitions; I tried Gparted, QTParted and Acronis Director and none of them could unhide my partitions, though they said they were doing so; evidentally the partition table was damaged).

After a lot of plowing through threads I found one that mentioned Partition Magic. I accept that Partition Magic is inclusively more powerful than the free partition managers I use but... most things you can do in Partition Magic you can do with a combination of QTParted (which comes with the Knoppix Linux Live CD) and Gparted, both of which are free and being regularly updated by the open source community. In this instance, though, it looked as though I was stuffed because, in Gparted's case, as least, I couldn't do what is suggested in the quote below. I have Acronis Disk Director (Acronis OS selector is bundled with it; yes, OS Selector adds a bit to your boot time but it saves a bit of hassle in the setup of a multiboot, something you need a lot of patience to set up to YOUR liking!)

What was suggested was:-

"Split partition so that it is two partitions. After that make one of them active, then add the partition that can't be used to the newly active partition and you will have the partition back."

I couldn't get Director to add one partition to another, so I tried something else. I deleted the XP partition with Director and then undeleted it (a disclaimer dialog box popped up advising of data not being retrievable, though in my case it was). Doing so caused the partition table to work; when I set the partitions to unhide they indeed un-hid!

Edited by Detosx

Both semthex and mifki 8.8.1 kernels work on my machine running 10.4.8 OS X.

There are several versions of the semthex kernel, I haven't tried them all. With semthex the machine was very slow to wake from sleep with the onboard graphics. I installed an Nvidia 6200 and the wake from sleep broke completely. Tried every BIOS combination, nothing helped. Other than that semthex was good, Restart, Shut down etc... all worked A ok.

Changing to mifki solved the sleep problem. With the 6200 in the machine it wakes from sleep reasonably quick (faster than XP does). However mifki breaks Restart, the machine doesn't completely shut down and hence doesn't restart. Shutdown however does work, killing the machine completely. I guess this could be a problem if you control the machine via ARD and have no access physically to the machine. Not a problem for most I would guess...

I must add, not everyones setup is going to be identical... So YMMV.

Edited by ritalin

i fixed my problem with Mifki kernel.

this is because of HPET support.

i turn it ON in bios, and Mifki kernel works great.

about shutdown - i have this issue now, can't shutdown -machine just freezes on blue screen and nothing happen.

will try to find solution for this problem.

Edited by boo50

Has anyone here installed JAS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD? I read that it was faster than the previous build but I have found it to be the other way around. I am hoping that some setting in my bios is slowing things down, won't get a chance to look before Saturday.

I am sticking with the 10.4.8 SSE3 only disk at this time. With this install as stable as it is, it is hard for me to justify the switch at all. The sf9 kernel is quick (Xbench @165). Solid versions of 10.4.9 are almost certainly around the corner too. That might be worth the energy.... but Leo is looming.... I have the patched (twice) ISO... But I have decided against the installation at this time.

And speaking of the new BIOS update 1.6... I am going back to 1.4 I had three perfectly running CD/DVD burners that are no longer perfectly running. There seems to be a conflict or two... No trouble with general operating/booting of my operating systems though. Just the sporadic recognition of the burners when trying to make 3 disks at once with Nero.

I even got full ALC888 support with speakers, mic and line in,

I am struggling with ALC888 patch. I think I have tried every permutation with no luck. What options in "customize" need to be checked to achieve results? I could really use "Mic In".... for now I am back to Azalia...

Edited by Sailfish

Hi All, I recently setup OS X on my Conroe945G-DVI and everything is running really good besides sleep. I did have a question, I was wondering if anyone here knows if I can use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard to access the bios? It is just a pain to have to plug a USB keyboard in just so I can access my bios and boot menu.

Thanks for any help.

hi everybody,

i have purchased this mobo , yes gma950 very good. (i want os x in server mode)

which is the best release tyo use for great stability ?

(i taste 10.4.8 but issue at the install , i was obliged to format my sata drive with 10.4.6 release ... and sometime disk utility is freezing , i can't have "About this mac" workiing , it' log me out ....) No sound because can't find AppleAzalia file ...

please help me to choose

edit : which special tune is needed in the bios of the mobo ?

bye see you later

I prefer Jas 10.4.8 ReSeed. Installing with semthex kernel + Azalia and 10.4.8 Combo Update.

Do not use USB Fix. It actually breaks the working USB on this board. No need to tune the BIOS with semthex kernel. Just use semthex auto-live updater right after fresh install.