ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

apmos: I am a new owner of a AsRock Conroe945-G. I have a single Seagate 320 GB SATA HD, and a 6300 Core 2 Duo.

I am attempting to dual-boot Vista (Partition 1) and OSX (Partition 2)

By following the guide at: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/...ot-on-intelamd/

I believe I have the same problem as you. I have installed the JaS 10.4.8 Repack with no problems.

I made the OSX partition active, and rebooted.

But when it loads, I get the grey screen and a "no smoking" like symbol.

Booting with -v gives a series of messages: "Still waiting for root device"

Since we seem to have the same problem, could you share with me how you got 10.4.8 to boot?

Sailfish: since you were able to get apmos going, maybe you could PM me the same information?

Best regards.

Follow these steps:

1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd

2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal

3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

4. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

5. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

6. Set the partition "Active"

Assuming it is partition 1, then

type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

7. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

8. Remove the install DVD and reboot

I've got everything what goofygoober said and my USB2.0 still doesn't work. I'm wondering if my digital camera is really USB 2.0 :)

I'll have to test it with iPod nano again which is currently out of reach. I'll post the results then.

UPDATE: YES, I've got full USB 2.0 speed!

That's great news. You beat me to posting the 1.5 bios update, have you noticed any changes/issues with it?

gaylord_66 - it only affects your graphics card. Most graphics card handle the PCIe up to 120mhz, even if default is 100. If the card can't hadle it, you basically get artifacts or lock-up.

Detosx - No issues and no noticable changes. But it's good to have the most recent :)

hi all, I built a new box with a pentium d and a conroe945g-dvi. Installed Jas 10.4.7 dvd and I have graphics corruption. If I boot with -x everything looks good. Any hint? sounds like an acceleration problem, but I cannot find anything similar in the thread

I bought a new USB card reader last week and decided to give it some time before reporting back on it. Basically it works and works better on the Hackintosh than on a real Mac Mini! The annoying part, for which I almost feel a need to apologize, is that it is unbranded (see edit below). The best I can give you is a physical description. It is around two inches by four inches, shaped like a bar of soap, held together by four visible but countersunk Phillips head screws, one at each corner. It comes in different colours, has five lights along the top 'sm/xd' 'SD/MMC' 'MS/MSPRO' 'CP/MD' 'POWER'. On the flips side it says 'CE FC Made In China.' It feels cheap in construction. It cost £8.00 from silicon-group.co.uk, though it should be noted that the card reader on the relevant page is not the same as the one they sold me. A great relief that it works. :)

Some more detailed information. The card reader, acording to the packaging which I dug up out of a trash can, is a Dynamode USB-All-1. That the name is only to be found on the packaging suggests its a genereric brand manufactured for a number of different companies, so it might be helpful to refer to my visual description above. I suspect a number of other people are having this problem, or should I say 'former' problem. :)

Edited by Detosx

Hi.

After several months of problem free operation something seems to have my hackintosh based on this Conroe board and I'm hoping someone can help.

Like I said, I've not had a single problem since installing the Jas 10.4.7 DVD but just now it kernel panicked with the 'hold down the power button' screen and now rebooting won't even get me to the start-up screen. The board is powered as all the fans start up, the optical drive is spinning up and I hear the SATA drive making noises but there is no beep and no output to the monitors (dual using the included DVI card).

I'm not very familiar with PCs and just followed the various sets of instructions to get OSX86 installed. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to begin trouble shooting it. I've tried removing each of the two ram 512 ram sticks in the machine and also changing their slots but it makes no difference (could they both have died simultaneously?). I removed the firewire card and the DVI riser card as well. No luck. Is it possible that the motherboard has failed in some way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bill.

... damn. I having problems getting the aforementioned SD card reader to read 4gig SD cards under Windows XP. Crazy, I know. The build quality isn't up to much but... Anyway, I am going to take it back and if I get a different model I will report my results. Tempting to hang on to this one because it works fine under JAS 10.4.8!

Has anyone (and by 'anyone' it is a given that I mean anyone who has also supported Apple by going out and buyig the operating system, which will sit unopened in a bookcase as a friendly protest to a company who need to address the need of consumers by bringing out readily upradeable computers for a change)... has anyone installed the new JAS 10.4.8 release that came out on the 3rd of Jan? It would be good if Asrockians could post what they chose to custom install, what worked and what didn't. ;)

Thanks mostly to this thread I now have my iHack up and running :thumbsup_anim:

I don't have the latest Jas 10.4.8 AMD/Intel release. I can post info on the Intel only reseed, how I got things working etc..

The only thing that I know isn't fully working is the ALC888 Sound. I only have 2 channel output, no line-in, mic etc...

Edited by ritalin

Welcome aboard ;) It's a long thread but worth reading. Did you get your network card working? Kexts are a whole new world for me >.< :) I have since downloaded the ppf file and updated the iso, will reinstall tonight. I installed the Jan 3rd release and I got an error on the desktop saying something about a 915 kext having not installed properly, but otherwise it seemed fine. The installer is streamlined, easier for a noob to not make mistakes based on a reasonable assumptions, lol. Not sure it's that much faster than the 10.4.8 reseed but it is certainly fast, easily giving iMacs a run for their money (I have the entry level Conroe duo). Sad news if JAS is leaving for good.

Hi, I got almost everything working with 10.4.7 JaS dvd (actually it was hotiso repack) + JaS 10.4.8 combo update with old kernel but I was having some problems with sound, especially in VLC. I looked at new ALC888 drivers and they required the latest kernel so installed the latest JaS release with new ppf patch (semthex:/nebukadnezar 8.8.1 kernel) but now after installing those ALC888 drivers I can't hear a thing although the system seems to recognize the audio interface.. Another downside is that sleep doesn't work with this kernel. Any ideas what I should be using to get everything to work?

Thanks ;)

Hi, I got almost everything working with 10.4.7 JaS dvd (actually it was hotiso repack) + JaS 10.4.8 combo update with old kernel but I was having some problems with sound, especially in VLC. I looked at new ALC888 drivers and they required the latest kernel so installed the latest JaS release with new ppf patch (semthex:/nebukadnezar 8.8.1 kernel) but now after installing those ALC888 drivers I can't hear a thing although the system seems to recognize the audio interface.. Another downside is that sleep doesn't work with this kernel. Any ideas what I should be using to get everything to work?

Quite a few of us are in the same situation. I think ALC888 works straight off if you are using the Asus motherboard that some of the developers were using.

So currently there is no solution how to get latest kernel and sound/sleep working with this board? :)
There is a thread in the Drivers section and it looks as though it is possible to get 2 channel sound out, though I tend to avoid anything that comes without an installer, for want of detailed instructions. If you get it working, do show and tell! :) A few changes to the bios (read Topazbar's posts earlier in the thread) got sleep working with the JAS 10.4.8 but I'm not sure that works with this build, haven't tried yet; I disable power saving and screensavers until I have everything installed and backups made.

ritalin, did you try the patches fro ALC audio (see my sig for ALC883, there's another patch on the same page for ALC888)

nice to see you here BTW :blink:

I haven't tried ALC888 patch as yet. I did see a report that it doesn't work with the ICH7 southbridge so it probably wont work on this MB :-( Recent posts seem to confirm this.

gotoh, small world isn't it.

Detosx, yes I've got the LAN working. I haven't checked the speed but transfers from my G5 (also gigabit LAN) are fast. I'm new to all this but I thought the Jan 3rd JaS release mainly just added support for SSE2 and AMD which we obviously don't need? I understand it may include a newer semthex kernel, but arn't there easyer ways of upgrading your kernel?

Also two channel sound was easy to get working, instructions here.

Alternative instructions: Audio_on_the_Asrock_ConRoe945G_DVI.rtf

Edited by ritalin

So can we get a confirmation that sleep, sound, etc is working with the latest 10.4.8 dvd intel only (the 4 gig one)?

I am thinking of getting a setup started, but it sounds like the latest versions have killed many features of this board.

Also, if I also have a macbook C2D, can I install from that DVD as well, and patch the video, sound, etc?

thanks!

guys i brought the same motherboard

and i have 10.4.7 jas dvd

i dont have the 10.4.8 one( i cant downloads from torrents)

im noob to this stuff

what i want to ask is how can i upgrade to 10.4.8

how to upgrade to latest kernel(searched forum but could not find)

how to get audio working

how to install graphics drivers????(the dvd has gma900 not gma950)

my config are :

intel core2duo@2.13

this mother board

1 gb ram

most of the time, sleep can work on Intel 945G if you set your BIOS to S1 and not S3. S3 will sleep, but won't wake from sleep (so it's useless :thumbsup_anim: )

I think this must relate to the Suspend to RAM option under ACPI Configuration in the BIOS. STR disabled would equate to S1 and STR auto-detect would equate to S3 ???

I know that this motherboard would wake from sleep when I was using the onboard VGA. I have since switched to a GF 6200 PCI card and the machine no-longer wakes fully. The hard drives and fans spin up, but the displays remain blank. I have tried both STR options but it makes no difference. Other than breaking the sleep function the 6200 is working well.