[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Hi

Last year, I've installed Mac

Unfortunately the notebook would freeze.

I do not remember what I used kexts that version, but I was 10.6.2 iaktos or universal.

Now I ask you to be able to help me perfectly without being broken again notebook Mac to install.

Forgive me if I wrong, I do not have English language proficiency

i dont how to setup, and I DONT KNOW USE what kexts for my notebook.

my notebook and config:

pavilion dv3-3655ee

cpu cor2duo 2.66 6mb cach t9550

ram= 2*2GB DDR2 samsung

Wireless: intel link 5100 agn

sound : intel 802801ib ich9 IDt

VGA: Nvidia 9300M GS

HDD: toshiba 320GB SATA - 3drive : For mac, Win visat original ,recovery

Digital Media Reader Integrated 5-in-1 for Secure Digital cards,

HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

HP Mobile Remote Control

Communication Modem High speed 56K modem

Integrated 10/100/1000 realteck Ethernet LAN

WXGA + 13.3 "High Definition BrightView Widescreen

please please please help me.

im wait for your help for setup mac.

tanks a lot

@mammoth

thanks alot for the feedback, my only question is that when i am running snow leopard with everything working there is one issue that i have which is, OS X seems to be "pinging" my DVD-Drive which gets annoying at one point! anyway to solve that? My DVD drive is fine as in windows 7 nothing like this occurs!

Hi Mammoth , Hi All :P

New kernel to 10.6.6 :)

+ for simplicity - tereminal command for the audio

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xD4\x11|\x03\x76\x1D\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Taptun :)

Hi Mammoth , Hi All :D

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xD4\x11|\x03\x76\x1D\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Taptun :)

You are amazing Taptun and a true Saint! :P

Thank YOU very much!!! :)

Question: What is your comment about audio about? Sorry if I'm too dense to figure it out. :|

PEOPLE!

Very exciting things are on the way for our systems! Sorry (a little) for being secretive, but all good things come....

I have to run out now, but will be back soon.

@mammoth: sorry for my ignorance, but you just want that we post our DSDT?

Using DSTD Editor by El Coniglio ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223205 ) i think i have it. I'll post it if you can confirm that this is what you want :D

I think that should work, or using a Ubuntu Live CD is a really great and easy way to do it.

We will be posting instructions soon.

:)

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know :D

bleh my internet is acting funny sorry for it posting so much can't tell if the msg went through.

Looking forward to your results!

(It was actually an InsanelyMac issue; I was seeing it too.) ;)

Hi

Last year, I've installed Mac

Unfortunately the notebook would freeze.

I do not remember what I used kexts that version, but I was 10.6.2 iaktos or universal.

Now I ask you to be able to help me perfectly without being broken again notebook Mac to install.

Forgive me if I wrong, I do not have English language proficiency

i dont how to setup, and I DONT KNOW USE what kexts for my notebook.

my notebook and config:

pavilion dv3-3655ee

cpu cor2duo 2.66 6mb cach t9550

ram= 2*2GB DDR2 samsung

Wireless: intel link 5100 agn

sound : intel 802801ib ich9 IDt

VGA: Nvidia 9300M GS

HDD: toshiba 320GB SATA - 3drive : For mac, Win visat original ,recovery

Digital Media Reader Integrated 5-in-1 for Secure Digital cards,

HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

HP Mobile Remote Control

Communication Modem High speed 56K modem

Integrated 10/100/1000 realteck Ethernet LAN

WXGA + 13.3 "High Definition BrightView Widescreen

please please please help me.

im wait for your help for setup mac.

tanks a lot

Hello Navidi,

I will be posting my new guides and CD towards the end of the month. If you can create a clean version of your DSDT and post it here, that will help us to better support your machine.

@Taptun,

thank you, thank you, and last but not least - thaaaaaaaaaaaank yooooooooouuuuuu!!!!

i was hesitant to updating until i saw your post.

for those that need a step by step,

1 make sure you download the kernel first

2 update to 10.6.6, you will have to restart to start the process

3 on the chameleon boot screen you will need to put in the cpus=1 flag

4 follow the steps in mammoths post installation guide from the cd starting from the section 4 - updating to a fully working 64 bit kernel. ( for those that haven't done this i copied the contents of the disc to a convenient location so the disc is available whenever i need it :) )

Hello,

have you found any way to have auto-sleep with appleacpibattery ? It worked here with voodoobattery, but not with appleacpibattery.

Have you ever tried if it works for you?

Thanks!

Mal

@Taptun,

thank you, thank you, and last but not least - thaaaaaaaaaaaank yooooooooouuuuuu!!!!

i was hesitant to updating until i saw your post.

for those that need a step by step,

1 make sure you download the kernel first

2 update to 10.6.6, you will have to restart to start the process

3 on the chameleon boot screen you will need to put in the cpus=1 flag

4 follow the steps in mammoths post installation guide from the cd starting from the section 4 - updating to a fully working 64 bit kernel. ( for those that haven't done this i copied the contents of the disc to a convenient location so the disc is available whenever i need it :) )

Hi Mammoth , Hi All :D

Taptun :angel:

THANK YOU

Well I have tried quite a few times and haven't been able to get it functioning properly yet...still trying! not ready to give up yet :( . I want to try and help ya figure this out best I can.

EDIT: well i am lost as I try to load the installer from the 10.6.3 apple cd it starts the list of loading and errors then just restarts...tried everything i can think of...any ideas?...

also how do i post my dsdt for you?

Hi Mammoth , Hi All :)

Taptun :rolleyes:

WoOooooW, Amazing i will try this as soon as possible

You are amazing Taptun and a true Saint! :wacko:

Question: What is your comment about audio about? Sorry if I'm too dense to figure it out. :|

This is a terminal command which patch the original vanilla AppleHDA to work with our Sound cards

I LOVE Taptun, Very excited to try it :D :D

Mammoth i Know you are too busy, but please don't forget to try the "GenericBrightness.kext" again as ivik said

Thanks so much Taptun and Mammoth, so exited to go home and try all that stuff

@Mammoth,Nixin

Is there a possibility of incorporating a lapic fix for our bioses in the bootloader or the dsdt so we can use the vanilla kernel natively.

meklort already did it with a chameleon fix but it is still X32 bit only till now

take a look here

Chameleon lapic fix

Backporting the Meklort patches for auto patching mach_kernel's CPUID panic

Hi guys.

I'm extremely busy with my university projects lately, so I won't be contributing any new DSDT fixes or fixes for other CPUs any time soon (unless you know something about Evolutionary Computing, Evolutionary Algorithms or Evolutionary Music and would like to help me).

The only real differences between i7 and i5/i3 boards should be the SSDT and the speed-step patches - there are topics here on insanelymac on how to create that yourself, so if you think you can handle a bit of hacking, then please do.

For now, if you have i5 or i3 and you patch the DSDT make sure to add DropSSDT=yes to your Chameleon settings, otherwise you might fry your CPU (generally dangereous stuff)!

Or simply, if you know how, remove the parts from my patcher that deal with the SpeedStep / CPU.

If neither auto-patcher (for DV6 nor DV8) work for you, try fixing the DTGP bug in your raw DSDT manually, remove the DTGP (top-most) fixes from my patcher (either one, they're identical apart from DTGP) and it will work, 90% sure.

The last time I even booted to OS X on my DV6t was, like, two weeks ago. My exams and project hand-ins are in first half of February - that's possibly the earliest of times I can start to contribute to the project again.

On another note, I've ordered a WiFi card for myself, the equivalent of AirPort Extreme - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190432908705

This one is branded by HP so should work even without modding of BIOS, I will let you guys know if it works.

Note to Mammoth:

You should drop the SSDT or make a separate DSDT patch for your Boot CD, so that it's safe to use on any DVx computer with any CPU.

Dear Mammoth.

Here's my dsdt.dsl , using dsdtse.

Hope it helps

Awesome, thanks for providing this!

Great sig too, thanks for that. ;)

Hi guys.

I'm extremely busy with my university projects lately, so I won't be contributing any new DSDT fixes or fixes for other CPUs any time soon (unless you know something about Evolutionary Computing, Evolutionary Algorithms or Evolutionary Music and would like to help me).

The last time I even booted to OS X on my DV6t was, like, two weeks ago. My exams and project hand-ins are in first half of February - that's possibly the earliest of times I can start to contribute to the project again.

On another note, I've ordered a WiFi card for myself, the equivalent of AirPort Extreme - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190432908705

This one is branded by HP so should work even without modding of BIOS, I will let you guys know if it works.

Note to Mammoth:

You should drop the SSDT or make a separate DSDT patch for your Boot CD, so that it's safe to use on any DVx computer with any CPU.

Thank you very much NIXin for all of your help thus far, and also for taking the time to provide this great information to us!

I'm sure all of us here support you in your educational efforts, and we understand your help is fully voluntary, so we respect and appreciate your time, effort, and energy when you have it to give. : )

Thank you, and we look forward to having you back the later part of February. Best of success with your studies!

Well I have tried quite a few times and haven't been able to get it functioning properly yet...still trying! not ready to give up yet :lol: . I want to try and help ya figure this out best I can.

EDIT: well i am lost as I try to load the installer from the 10.6.3 apple cd it starts the list of loading and errors then just restarts...tried everything i can think of...any ideas?...

also how do i post my dsdt for you?

JannieRox,

Great posting of your sig! ;)

In your sig I see that you have 2 hard drives connected. It has been reported previously by another user that having the 2nd drive installed for the installation caused failures. Try removing the 2nd drive ( the one on the left side when the laptop is upside down and facing you), and then see if it will work.

Please let me know ASAP if this does or doesn't work so I can add it to the guides.

Hi guys.

The only real differences between i7 and i5/i3 boards should be the SSDT and the speed-step patches - there are topics here on insanelymac on how to create that yourself, so if you think you can handle a bit of hacking, then please do.

For now, if you have i5 or i3 and you patch the DSDT make sure to add DropSSDT=yes to your Chameleon settings, otherwise you might fry your CPU (generally dangereous stuff)!

Or simply, if you know how, remove the parts from my patcher that deal with the SpeedStep / CPU.

If neither auto-patcher (for DV6 nor DV8) work for you, try fixing the DTGP bug in your raw DSDT manually, remove the DTGP (top-most) fixes from my patcher (either one, they're identical apart from DTGP) and it will work, 90% sure.

Note to Mammoth:

Awww I really hope your school work goes well!! Take care and good luck=) :)

Awesome, thanks for providing this!

Great sig too, thanks for that. ;)

Thank you very much NIXin for all of your help thus far, and also for taking the time to provide this great information to us!

I'm sure all of us here support you in your educational efforts, and we understand your help is fully voluntary, so we respect and appreciate your time, effort, and energy when you have it to give. : )

Thank you, and we look forward to having you back the later part of February. Best of success with your studies!

JannieRox,

Great posting of your sig! ;)

In your sig I see that you have 2 hard drives connected. It has been reported previously by another user that having the 2nd drive installed for the installation caused failures. Try removing the 2nd drive ( the one on the left side when the laptop is upside down and facing you), and then see if it will work.

Please let me know ASAP if this does or doesn't work so I can add it to the guides.

Okie dokie I'll get right on that =)

EDIT: Well I removed my second drive and tried a few more times. I tried trying the drive in both places i could as well. I took some pictures to try to show what happened. They aren't great but maybe they can help see if I went wrong somewhere :lol: Hopefully they are helpful.

post-712341-1294607697_thumb.jpg

post-712341-1294607736_thumb.jpg

post-712341-1294607766_thumb.jpg

post-712341-1294607802_thumb.jpg

post-712341-1294607826_thumb.jpg

Dear Mammoth.

Here's my dsdt.dsl , using dsdtse.

Hope it helps

Thank you MacQ for posting your DSDT!

And thanks to everyone who posts theirs.

As you read previously, NIXin is tied up with his studies right now, so if there are others out there who could help with using the DSDT auto patcher, DSDT creation, and the handling of SSDT, that would be awesome, really.

My hands are super busy with the Guides and Installation CD (and for the time being, some secret initiatives I'm working on related to all of this), so if no one is able to help with the DSDT side of things, I will get around to it best I can, as soon as I can. But it IS important to get DSDT's for each needed machine. So even if you post yours and it just sits there for a while, at least when we are ready they are there, and we can get them to work on.

WoOooooW, Amazing i will try this as soon as possible

This is a terminal command which patch the original vanilla AppleHDA to work with our Sound cards

I LOVE Taptun, Very excited to try it ;) ;)

Mammoth i Know you are too busy, but please don't forget to try the "GenericBrightness.kext" again as ivik said

Thanks so much Taptun and Mammoth, so exited to go home and try all that stuff

Thanks for the reminder, I do plan on testing the updated version ASAP.

Yeah,but x64 bit has been a long time coming......................,so is there any other way to go about it?

This is way outside my scope of capabilities, so if it's going to get done, it will have to be by someone else.

:lol:

Here is a vanilla linux dump of my DSDT (i5 450m)

Awesome, and thanks!

These WILL get used, so keep 'em coming.

EDIT: Well I removed my second drive and tried a few more times. I tried trying the drive in both places i could as well. I took some pictures to try to show what happened. They aren't great but maybe they can help see if I went wrong somewhere ;) Hopefully they are helpful.

Ok, try starting up with -f and see how far you get.

also meant to re-ask how to give you the dsdt for my machine...

This is the easiest and surest way to generate a proper, CLEAN, DSDT:

- Download Ubuntu Live CD from ubuntu web site

- Burn and boot from CD. You'll be in Ubuntu desktop. Default user is ubuntu and home folder is /home/ubuntu.

- From top menu bar, accessories (system) launch terminal and issue the following command:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

- Now you'll have it in your home folder.

Ok, try starting up with -f and see how far you get.

This is the easiest and surest way to generate a proper, CLEAN, DSDT:

- Download Ubuntu Live CD from ubuntu web site

- Burn and boot from CD. You'll be in Ubuntu desktop. Default user is ubuntu and home folder is /home/ubuntu.

- From top menu bar, accessories (system) launch terminal and issue the following command:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

- Now you'll have it in your home folder.

ok I tried -f and a long list of things started, but in the end it still came up restart fix applied. Restarts again. ;)

I think that should work, or using a Ubuntu Live CD is a really great and easy way to do it.

We will be posting instructions soon.

:)

Looking forward to your results!

(It was actually an InsanelyMac issue; I was seeing it too.) ;)

Hello Navidi,

I will be posting my new guides and CD towards the end of the month. If you can create a clean version of your DSDT and post it here, that will help us to better support your machine.

Hi

I'm not fluent in English

I do not know how DSDT program works