[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Mammoth

I have the same laptop as you and I am looking forward to trying MAC OSX on my laptop. I am new to MAC OSX and can't wait for you to finish you new guide. The only difference I see between your guide and what I would like to try is I want to be able to do a triple boot OSX/Windows 7/Linux. By chance do you address this type of install in your guides?

Thank you very much for all the work you and everyone else is putting in to these guides as I would not be able to add OSX to my laptop with out your help and guidence. You guys ROCK.

banefire

Hey that's great that we have the same laptop! I feel very fortunate that I got mine when I did because HP isn't offering 18.4" screen laptops any more and I love my big screen! OS X looks really good on it.

I haven't tried putting Linux on, but I think all you will need to do is create 5 partitions instead of just the 4 I outline in my guide. Chameleon works great with Linux (so I have been told). Windows 7 MUST be on the forth (or lower) partition or it wont be bootable. Other than that, you should be fine.

I search it but i dont get it. It are 14 pages with a lot information. :unsure: If it possibole can you say here what it is and what I have to do? :P THX a lot

Thats something what have to right down and put in in to guide , because i think that there are a lot of people how get the answer , search it with search tool , but that dont help because here it are 45 pages where you have to search your asnwer. :( :(

First off, please add your laptop to your signature. Thanks! ;)

Next, DSDT is a difficult subject and I'm sorry to say, I don't have time to go over it. If you want to learn about it, just start Googling for DSDT OS X.

A DSDT will be available for your machine when I release the new guides and installation CD towards the end of this month, so you can also just choose to wait.

Also, I do already have a plan for cleaning the thread up and organizing information, and that will come after the release, so again, hang tight.

Hi Mammoth,

Can I sign for the Beta? :)

Got my notebook updated at the signature (have 6 boxes running OSX, and I'm about to quit trying with my DV8 due frustration).

I appreciate your efforts making this thing work!

ID: CyberEvil :)

Awesome avatar you have there. ;)

And that's cool... another person with my same machine. Have you tried booting with the Mammoth CD v1.15? If you have, and it hasn't worked, thanks to you adding your info in your sig, I see you have 8 GB of RAM installed. Try booting with:

maxmem=4096

What I really need is i3 and i5 BETA testers.

(REALLY PEOPLE, if you have an i3 or i5 based machine PLEASE ask for the BETA. Not having testers is going to slow down the release or those machines won't be supported until later once I CAN get some testers.)

I already know it works on my machine. ;) I WILL need you to test BETA 2 however, and I hope to have that ready by next week (assuming Apple releases 10.6.6 tomorrow, which I'm hoping for).

What I really need is i3 and i5 BETA testers.

(REALLY PEOPLE, if you have an i3 or i5 based machine PLEASE ask for the BETA. Not having testers is going to slow down the release or those machines won't be supported until later once I CAN get some testers.)

I already know it works on my machine. :thumbsup_anim: I WILL need you to test BETA 2 however, and I hope to have that ready by next week (assuming Apple releases 10.6.6 tomorrow, which I'm hoping for).

If you need an i5 tester I wouldn't mind trying to help in any way just let me know what you need me to do. :)

Hi Mammoth ,

can you implement the "Apple Shipping Drive recognized DVD drive" ?? since i been having so many issues with my drive not been recognized .

Here is the link and fix from AnV

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238159

thanks for all your help .....

Hi Oskr66,

Thanks for finding this and sharing it. I checked it out, but it looks to me like it's only a cosmetic patch, but doesn't actually fix or do anything. Most who are trying it state it either doesn't work, or has not made any improvements whatsoever.

Hi Oskr66,

Thanks for finding this and sharing it. I checked it out, but it looks to me like it's only a cosmetic patch, but doesn't actually fix or do anything. Most who are trying it state it either doesn't work, or has not made any improvements whatsoever.

thanks Mammoth for your fast response , do you mind helping me with this patch since I have so many problems with my DVD not been recognized after wake . I do not know how to apply it to the kext . maybe i could test it and give you the results . I will really appreciate your help , thanks again Mammoth .

:P

thanks Mammoth for your fast response , do you mind helping me with this patch since I have so many problems with my DVD not been recognized after wake . I do not know how to apply it to the kext . maybe i could test it and give you the results . I will really appreciate your help , thanks again Mammoth .

Sorry, but I'm tied up at the moment. I don't think that is going to help anyway. We have the same machine and mine doesn't do that, so it's something else. What is the model number of your optical drive? I'll let you know what mine is.

If you need an i5 tester I wouldn't mind trying to help in any way just let me know what you need me to do. :P

Thanks JannieRox,

Yes, it would be great if you could test, especially since you have an i5. If it goes well, that will be some really good news.

I have sent you a Personal Message with the download link.

Let me know ASAP the results of your testing.

THANKS!

Now we just need at least 1 solid i3 tester.

ivik wants us for some testing related to GenericBrightness.kext "UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext"

but i am so busy this week can you mammoth test and report

thanks

@MiniHack

Thanks for reporting.

Could you guys with hdmi KP check driver that doesn't need pmlf? Just for testing if panic is from ioreg or acpi methods.

I've been checking this forum and the thread looks great. I am interested in a portable to travel with and noticed that HP no longer offers the nVidia graphics configuration with the dv5t or the dv6t. I presume this entire thread applies only to the nVidia builds...

I've been checking this forum and the thread looks great. I am interested in a portable to travel with and noticed that HP no longer offers the nVidia graphics configuration with the dv5t or the dv6t. I presume this entire thread applies only to the nVidia builds...

We didn't have any other machines to test with, but I assume it's totally possible to do with other graphics, as long as the card has been proven working in OS X.

Hi there Tyang,

It HAS only applied to nVidia, however, Apple is now shipping Macs with ATI GPU's, so support should be easier (or more likely) than has been in the past.

When you decide which one you are interested in, post the specs here. Basically, the closer it is to my (reference) machine, the better chance for support. Compare GPUs in the machine you are interested in, with which ones are being used in real Macs; if they are the same, or close enough, then it shouldn't be a problem.

ivik wants us for some testing related to GenericBrightness.kext "UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext"

but i am so busy this week can you mammoth test and report

thanks

Yes, I'll be able to test again soon.

the only video option now available from HP with dv5t and dv6t is "Intel HD" which I understand is difficult. I presume this is the built in graphics part of the i5/i7 core

Are they ONLY Intel HD? If so, you don't want that; however, the machines I've been seeing had both Intel HD and ATI, just like the Macs, which also have both.

OS X 10.6.6 IS OUT!

Well, so far it looks like there is NOT going to be a retail release of 10.6.6. I have never followed Apple's releases, so if someone who has can tell me if it's plausible for Apple to release it later, that could be good news.

So at this point I think I need to go on creating the new guides and Installation CD under the assumption that 10.6.6 will only be available as an update, and we will have to do our initial install with 10.6.3, as we have done in the past.

;)

yes, they are now limited to Intel HD only. Is there anything unique about the DVx platform? I see that HP's G42t series still offers ATI 5470 and the ENVY line has an ATI 5650 graphics card.

-----------

Edit.. quick check on ATI 5xxx seems to suggest that kext are still problematic. Still looking...

yes, they are now limited to Intel HD only. Is there anything unique about the DVx platform? I see that HP's G42t series still offers ATI 5470 and the ENVY line has an ATI 5650 graphics card.

-----------

Edit.. quick check on ATI 5xxx seems to suggest that kext are still problematic. Still looking...

If I were you, I would start checking eBay and other on-line retailers for one with nVidia still in it.

@Kizwan

We need a search beacon like the one Batman uses for Kizwan!

:)

Hello Kizwan!

As you know, 10.6.6 came out today. What you may not know is that I am working to release the next version of my guides and Installation CD. I was hoping you could help us once again, this time to create an updated audio solution based on 10.6.6, since my new guide and CD will be 10.6.6 focused.

For ease, here is (I think) your last post in our thread about the current version.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1550294

Hope you have been well and once again, THANKS!!!!!

Thanks JannieRox,

Yes, it would be great if you could test, especially since you have an i5. If it goes well, that will be some really good news.

THANKS!

I've been running based on your old guide etc with an i5 since... uh a while now. No problems so far. Not sure how to test if speedstep is working or not.

Sorry, but I'm tied up at the moment. I don't think that is going to help anyway. We have the same machine and mine doesn't do that, so it's something else. What is the model number of your optical drive? I'll let you know what mine is.

Hi Mammoth , thanks for the response < I understand how busy you are with the new project . I am not sure how i can get the model # for the drive , but this what I get from system profiler. for some reason on the ATA contents a do not have anything

Any help will be appreciated , thanks again for all you do to help us . :)

post-377047-1294370861_thumb.png

post-377047-1294370883_thumb.png

post-377047-1294370963_thumb.png

Hi Mammoth , thanks for the response < I understand how busy you are with the new project . I am not sure how i can get the model # for the drive , but this what I get from system profiler. for some reason on the ATA contents a do not have anything

Any help will be appreciated , thanks again for all you do to help us . ;)

Hello Oskr66,

I don't have anything listed under ATA either, and don't think I ever have. I think that's old parallel ATA, and I think our machines are fully SATA, so that is correct.

Your drive is an HP DVDRAM GT30L

My drive is an HP DVDWBD TS-LB23L

So our drives are very different.

Do a Google search for "DVDRAM GT30L". It looks like there are other people having problems with that drive. You might want to see if there is a firmware update available for it.

2011-01-06 - 10:15 PM GMT -8:00

Next step to new Installation Guides and CD: WE NEED AN INTEL, i3, i5, and i7 REPOSITORY OF DSDT FILES for HP DVx LAPTOPS

You will be able to find it on post #1

Hey everyone, before the new guides and CD can be made available, we need accurate, custom DSDT files for our various configured laptops. We will list them with the following information as in this sample:

HP DV8t-1200 (WF681AV)

BIOS: InSyde - F.25

Core i5 450M 2.4GHz

nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB

DSDT (Mammoth v1.00 - date)

[link to file will be here]

They will be labeled as "Mammoth versions" so that people will know where the DSDT originated from and where they need to go for support, new versions, etc. However, we will be relying on NIXin (and others) for their actual creation.

Also, even though we will list the exact machine model number (such as HP DV8t-1200 [WF681AV]), as long as the primary components are the same, a DSDT may be perfectly suitable for other comparable machines. I guess as we find out we can add other working machine info to a DSDT. I think the most important thing to stress is that the CPU class and model number MUST match! For example, a DSDT created on and for a "Core i5 450M" CPU must NEVER be used on another machine, no matter how close other components may be, if the CPU in THAT machine is not also exactly, a "Core i5 450M" CPU.

We need to work with NIXin on creating our DSDTs, so this should be the process so that we can make sure the DSDTs are truly valid.

1) Check Post #1 of this thread in the FILES section to see if a DSDT suitable for your machine already exists.

2) If not, we will be posting further instructions soon, such as where to get the auto-patcher (if you don't know) and how to use it. Info may already be available to allow you to create your DSDT.

3) If you know (and it is true) that a proper DSDT or script has NOT yet been created for your machine, DO NOT PM NIXin! (If he asks you to for some reason, that's different.)

4) Post your machine info and clean DSDT in the thread and there is where you ask NIXin for his help. If and when he can get to it, then he probably will, but understand he is not obligated to do so.

5) Once you have worked with him and he has been able to create a script for your machine, then your DSDT can be generated.

6) NIXin, and only NIXin, will let me know when a DSDT is ready to be added to our DSDT repository. This will happen once the two of you have worked out any issues.

THANKS, and once we get these DSDTs, we are going to be ready to go!

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know :dev:

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know ;)

Thanks JannieRox,

THANKS!

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know :D

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know :)

Hey just wanted to let you know that I will be doing the text in the next few hours so by tonight I will be able to let you know :D

bleh my internet is acting funny sorry for it posting so much can't tell if the msg went through.