[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Glad to hear 1.20 is on the way! Great job! And thank you for all your efforts Mammoth and whoever contributed to this project. I wish I could do anything for you but my knowledge is limited :)

I have a small issue. I'm using the system which is told in 1.15 and works great. But sometimes when I plug out the power cable it says "you need to restart your computer". Sometimes it does not happen when I plug out but when I plug it in back. Is there any solution for that?

Also I patched my DSDT before to make sleep work. Now I saw that we have a brand new DSDT but it needs the original untouched DSDT. Is there any chance to find it?

At the bottom left hand corner of each thread page you should see the "Search Topic" box. Put "dsdt" in there and click search and you should be able to find it. :unsure:

@mammoth,

Guess what! you will be happy with these news! SUCCESS! your boot CD is working on my machine. I used to install and also start the Installed OS. Everything works out of box apart from battery,sound and card reader. The color profile has to be added. Video is perfect as its from my DSDT. and also it has QE/CI and also PERFECT identification in system profiler. I have attached photos of the OS Install Disc Booting up, When its booted and into the agree ment, Disk utility, installing screen and also successful install screen. Also image showin about this mac and Nvidia card in system profiler! Check them and let me know. Sorry i could not upload a video as i have less time and my camera is away. Thanks alot and looking forward to the final release!!

Wow, this is really great news! We have NIXin and MaLd0N to thank for most of this!

So your machine will be 100% supported by the new release.

Thanks for adding the great pics too; those should really be encouraging for others with similar systems.

I downloaded the latest source for the AML compiler from http://www.acpica.org/ and compiled it for OSX:

I'm trying to use this, but I don't know how to properly. When I have used iasl in the past in Windows, I think I just used:

iasl -g

I tried under OS X terminal like this, but doesn't seem to work:

open iasl -g

How do I generate proper .AML file?

OK, new version of DSDT AutoPatcher for DVx - this time I'm putting the whole package out, as some people didn't know how do deal with just the patch file.

This one includes the DSDT patch by gsly so that his AppleACPIBatteryManager works.

Thanks gsly!

http://improwizuj.pl/temp/DSDT-Patcher-Lin...-Win-HP-DVx.zip

Unpack, run, select HP DV6 or DV8 depending on your version and go.

Again, make sure to use raw DSDT (so under Windows or Linux), and if you must patch it under Mac, boot the machine without any DSDT.aml in /Extra at all.

NIXin,

i see no dv7 option, i'm guessing we are left in the dark for dsdt patching?

@Jason Adams

Try either patcher for DV8 or DV6. I didn't have a raw DSDT from DV7 so no way to test - but one of them should work without compile errors, and one of them will generate some and won't compile. Please report back which one is working for you!

Thanks

NIXin

@Jason Adams

Try either patcher for DV8 or DV6. I didn't have a raw DSDT from DV7 so no way to test - but one of them should work without compile errors, and one of them will generate some and won't compile. Please report back which one is working for you!

Thanks

NIXin

i can give you a raw dsdt i extracted thru linux if u would like

@NIXin, Gsly, MaLd0n, and others,

I'm still wanting to solve the problem with the memory failed message in SP.

As an experiment, try the following, change your system type in smbios.pilst to be:

MacPro5,1

Then restart. The "Memory Slot Utility" window will open saying that the memory modules are installed in the wrong slots. Now the Mac Pro 5,1 is a desktop, so this being a laptop I can see how this might be wrong, but I think it may point to the issue. I think:

- Either there is an HP/InSyde BIOS bug

- or, a combination of the above and / or a bug in Chameleon

- OR, could this be something we could address in DSDT (or anywhere for that matter)?

Memory frequency is always detected as 665 MHz @ 1330 instead of 667 MHz @ 1333, which is what it should be. I'm thinking this may be causing OS X to see this as "a memory problem". Note that the correct values are shown in Windows 7.

Maybe if there is someone who is really good with Linux who boot into Linux and see what is shown there for detected memory.

Is there anyone who can take this farther and at least figure out WHERE the problem is? If so, then we can see about finding ways to solve it.

THANKS!

Hello All and Happy New Year.

My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but what is the difference between the dvx and the dvxt? Does this process only work for dvxt models (intel CPU) or will it also work for a dvx such as the core i5 version of the HP Pavillion DV7-4057CA 2.53GHz i5-430M Notebook (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470). I'm just looking at purchasing and don't know what the t in dvxt signifies -- whether it's some component on the system or just cosmetic difference between the dvx models.

thanks in advance!!

-dave

Hello All and Happy New Year.

My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but what is the difference between the dvx and the dvxt? Does this process only work for dvxt models (intel CPU) or will it also work for a dvx such as the core i5 version of the HP Pavillion DV7-4057CA 2.53GHz i5-430M Notebook (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470). I'm just looking at purchasing and don't know what the t in dvxt signifies -- whether it's some component on the system or just cosmetic difference between the dvx models.

thanks in advance!!

-dave

i advice you to wait the 1.20 guide (or to ask mammoth for the beta) because that processor will not work with the actual boot cd.

anyway you can still try to install snow leopard and follow the 1.15 guide using this boot cd: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/ (it should work with the parameters cpus=1 busratio=17 and also -x if there are still problems).

nvidia cards also are more compatible than ati, but i don't know if there are big problems

i advice you to wait the 1.20 guide (or to ask mammoth for the beta) because that processor will not work with the actual boot cd.

anyway you can still try to install snow leopard and follow the 1.15 guide using this boot cd: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/ (it should work with the parameters cpus=1 busratio=17 and also -x if there are still problems).

nvidia cards also are more compatible than ati, but i don't know if there are big problems

@ s.d.rose

I couldn't have said it better than Doomer0.

Thanks Doomer0 for helping out! ;)

UPDATE ON DIAGNOSTIC MEMROY FAILURE ISSUE:

Ok, so I was on the VoodooPojects.org site and Azimutz let me know that he is pretty sure this IS a bug in Chameleon. Suffice it to say I've spent the last couple of days trying to find a fix or workaround for this and have found none.

There is a thread on their project site for this, so I have added all of my info there and will continue to monitor and work with them on this when asked.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1750.0.html

and here...

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/32/

So for now, I am leaving this issue AS-IS and counting on their team to eventually resolve this. I can't spend anymore time on this issue without a significant reason to check into again.

I'm trying to use this, but I don't know how to properly. When I have used iasl in the past in Windows, I think I just used:

iasl -g

I tried under OS X terminal like this, but doesn't seem to work:

open iasl -g

How do I generate proper .AML file?

Mammoth, first make sure the binary has the execute bit on:

chmod a+x iasl

If you are in a folder that is not in your current path, you'll have to explicitly reference the binary with:

./iasl dsdt.dsl

Myself, I installed it in /usr/local/bin so it was always in my path. Run the binary with no options or parameters and you'll get a help page will all the options.

UPDATE ON DIAGNOSTIC MEMROY FAILURE ISSUE:

Ok, so I was on the VoodooPojects.org site and Azimutz let me know that he is pretty sure this IS a bug in Chameleon. Suffice it to say I've spent the last couple of days trying to find a fix or workaround for this and have found none.

There is a thread on their project site for this, so I have added all of my info there and will continue to monitor and work with them on this when asked.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1750.0.html

and here...

So for now, I am leaving this issue AS-IS and counting on their team to eventually resolve this. I can't spend anymore time on this issue without a significant reason to check into again.

While I was waiting on other things @work today I looked at some of the source on opensource.apple.com, Chameleon and some IOReg dumps in hex (no Mac @work) + above threads and I think we can probably fix this. I agree that its likely Chameleon not injecting all of the attributes that System Profiler looks for, or some of the attributes aren't quite right. I need to dig some more in IOReg and DSDT for some different Macs...

While I was waiting on other things @work today I looked at some of the source on opensource.apple.com, Chameleon and some IOReg dumps in hex (no Mac @work) + above threads and I think we can probably fix this. I agree that its likely Chameleon not injecting all of the attributes that System Profiler looks for, or some of the attributes aren't quite right. I need to dig some more in IOReg and DSDT for some different Macs...

That would be really great Gsly!

I don't now how much you have had a chance to read from the Voodoolabs link, but on one of them, Kabyl from the Voodoo team was able to fix this for the initial poster (Zane Chua). Zane just posted more info; his machine is a Lenovo Y550P and he says it is very similar to my specs. I tried the booter that worked for Zane but it did not work for me. Zane posted a link to a web site of his where he posted more info about this.

HEY everyone am new to this and am trying to learn how to install mac os on my laptop so i can dual boot with win7. I tried my best with putting my specs in my sig lol. So am wondering do i pass to be able to? :D Thanks!

Also I burnt a copy of iATKOS S3 Snow Leopard version 2 and tried it but it flashes the grey screen with the apple logo the restarts setup into win7...

HEY everyone am new to this and am trying to learn how to install mac os on my laptop so i can dual boot with win7. I tried my best with putting my specs in my sig lol. So am wondering do i pass to be able to? :P Thanks!

Also I burnt a copy of iATKOS S3 Snow Leopard version 2 and tried it but it flashes the grey screen with the apple logo the restarts setup into win7...

Hi there JannieRox!

Welcome to our little space here. :) You're machine WILL be supported (and thanks for adding sig info that allows me to say all this :D ) with the new Installation CD and Guides I'm in the process of writing. We are probably about 2 to 3 weeks away, so if you want to save yourself some time and agony, I would find something else to keep you busy until then. And I would advise everyone to stay away from distros such as iATKOS and others, that's "old school" and really NOT the way to go.

:P

@KiD KuN i cant see the link, there is standing #######.com

Bramodb,

Goto the bottom left of this page, and type in DSDT in the box that says "Enter Keywords" and then hit "Search Topic". You should be able to find what you're looking for.

Mammoth

I have the same laptop as you and I am looking forward to trying MAC OSX on my laptop. I am new to MAC OSX and can't wait for you to finish you new guide. The only difference I see between your guide and what I would like to try is I want to be able to do a triple boot OSX/Windows 7/Linux. By chance do you address this type of install in your guides?

Thank you very much for all the work you and everyone else is putting in to these guides as I would not be able to add OSX to my laptop with out your help and guidence. You guys ROCK.

banefire

Hi there JannieRox!

Welcome to our little space here. :) You're machine WILL be supported (and thanks for adding sig info that allows me to say all this ;) ) with the new Installation CD and Guides I'm in the process of writing. We are probably about 2 to 3 weeks away, so if you want to save yourself some time and agony, I would find something else to keep you busy until then. And I would advise everyone to stay away from distros such as iATKOS and others, that's "old school" and really NOT the way to go.

;)

Bramodb,

Goto the bottom left of this page, and type in DSDT in the box that says "Enter Keywords" and then hit "Search Topic". You should be able to find what you're looking for.

I search it but i dont get it. It are 14 pages with a lot information. :( If it possibole can you say here what it is and what I have to do? :) THX a lot

Thats something what have to right down and put in in to guide , because i think that there are a lot of people how get the answer , search it with search tool , but that dont help because here it are 45 pages where you have to search your asnwer. :( :(

Hi there JannieRox!

Welcome to our little space here. :) You're machine WILL be supported (and thanks for adding sig info that allows me to say all this :rolleyes: ) with the new Installation CD and Guides I'm in the process of writing. We are probably about 2 to 3 weeks away, so if you want to save yourself some time and agony, I would find something else to keep you busy until then. And I would advise everyone to stay away from distros such as iATKOS and others, that's "old school" and really NOT the way to go.

B)

Thank you for such a warm and wonderful welcome!! :D I am very happy to hear that my laptop will indeed be supported. Yay! ;) Glad I was able to do the sig properly. I am very excited for your CD and Guide...now I will be on the edge of my seat until release hehe. ;) Thank you very much once again. :P