[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Hi Mammoth,

I still having problems with my DVD after wake , it gives me this message :

"No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

what do you think it could be the problem ? How or where can i check for troubleshooting ? Is there a way to wake the DVD after computer wakes ?

Thanks for all you have done for all of us .

HP DV8t-1100 | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD |

Hi Mammoth,

I still having problems with my DVD after wake , it gives me this message :

"No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

what do you think it could be the problem ? How or where can i check for troubleshooting ? Is there a way to wake the DVD after computer wakes ?

Thanks for all you have done for all of us .

HP DV8t-1100 | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD |

I remember seeing a post about this not long ago (maybe within the last 10 pages), and someone posting how they fixed it... I think. So see if you can find that.

Hi Mammoth,

I'll be happy to participate in testing.

As this seems like a job interview I hope the CV will be ok, if not it's back to using windows.... :P

User id Sammity

Hp DV8-1200 Model WF681AV

Core i7 1.6ghz

Will be installed on an internal 60gb fresh hard drive

Nvidia GT230m GPU

My DSDT that has been used after Nixin's autopatcher is attached.

Thanks again for all your hard work that you've been putting into this.

Sammity,

I have sent you a PM (Personal Message) with a link to the BETA install CD with instructions. Let me know how it goes.

mammoth,

i wont have time until sat to do any real testing, i have a fresh dsdt that needs patched. if i can b of help let me know

Your machine is very similar to mine, I'm going to PM you the link to the i7 BETA test. You can try that and let me know how it goes.

First of all thank you for your guide, i installed 10.6.3 from iAKTOS and then updated to 10.6.5 using ur guide and other post. but now my USB mouse, Touch pad move cursor but i am unable to type, on keyboard & usb keyboard i am able to turn caps on of (at least) but can't type, but all of these work fine in safe mode, any suggestions ? ;)

a few thing which might help, when not using -x i get following warning/errors

1. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
  2. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: UMIIntitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
  3. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: start unable to initialize UIM
  4. same 3 for an other address
  5. Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1
  6. USBF: 5.933 AppleUSBUHCI[0x64d1000]: unable to initialize UIM
  7. same for another value
  8. Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOUSB v3.7.0: already have loaded v4.9.6.

:P

Hello SpoiledBrat,

I can only support those with very similar hardware (i3, i5, i7 CPUs) and who are able to use the installation methods outlined in my guides and using my CD. Otherwise, the possibilities are endless and so are the problems. These are not problems we see on our hardware using my method and CD, so I have no idea.

@Mammoth

That is nice and amazing to hear:-)!! finally the cd is doing well. really looking forward to this release. And my HP has a Core2duo! So i hope the DV5 disc has Core2Duo support! hope it works!

Hey KiD KuN,

I have sent you a PM with a link to a special version of the BETA Mammoth Install CD for your Core2 Duo based machine. Let me know ASAP how your testing goes with it.

@Mammoth

Thanks alot. i will try it out tomorrow as it is 2.05am. i will update you with the results! Another thing is

i saw the ISO and it has VoodooHDA and also the Voodoo battery and AppleACPINub kext, wasnt this release based on an install that that doesnt need voodoo anything? or will it be addressed in the future versions?

@Mammoth

Thanks alot. i will try it out tomorrow as it is 2.05am. i will update you with the results! Another thing is

i saw the ISO and it has VoodooHDA and also the Voodoo battery and AppleACPINub kext, wasnt this release based on an install that that doesnt need voodoo anything? or will it be addressed in the future versions?

Good observation; all is explained in the instructions.

But just so no one has the wrong idea, yes, at this point, there is no need for ANY Voodoo based kexts in order for us to have a complete and fully functional OS X installation. The Installation CD is a BETA, so not complete. Everything in the Installation folder on the BETA CD is the old stuff from v1.15 and should not be used, and is not needed, for this BETA testing.

If anyone knows of the best, most current release of Chameleon 2.0-RC 5, I would like to know about it, especially versions of "cdboot". Currently I am working with v651, but want to use the latest and greatest with the final release of the new Install CD.

hi Mammoth

This topic by iFabio is very helpful, take a look

Chameleon 2 RC5 Unofficial Package Installer, Unofficial Package Installer based on latest RC5 trunk.

update:

Strange, but it always work, if i boot with "-v -f" boot flags (by typing them every time i boot , not with adding them to com.apple.Boot.plist)

HDMI sound works !!!!!

but after i used AppleJack, it is working all the time with no problems :unsure::angel:

post-307642-1293585342_thumb.png

@Mammoth,

I tested the Boot CD for my laptop. Here are the results. i tried booting but AppleHDA.kext seems to be causing kernel panic and i do not know how to by pass that one error. Also the DSDT doesn't seem to load as in the beginning i can see the cham boot saying. "No ACPI table Found" or something like that. Looking forward to your reply and attached is the image of the kernel panic i got.

post-40940-1293620487_thumb.jpg

@mammoth

i tried your Boot CD with and wihout "cpus=1 busrato=17"

and the machine instantly restart !!!

Hello Haber,

There is no need to specify "cpus=1". That is the default with the CD.

It's not "busrato" but "busratio". If you were trying it as "busrato" try it with "busratio=17" and see if that works.

@Mammoth,

I tested the Boot CD for my laptop. Here are the results. i tried booting but AppleHDA.kext seems to be causing kernel panic and i do not know how to by pass that one error. Also the DSDT doesn't seem to load as in the beginning i can see the cham boot saying. "No ACPI table Found" or something like that. Looking forward to your reply and attached is the image of the kernel panic i got.

KiD KuN,

For goodness sakes you're using a 10.6.0 version of OS X! That's not going to work.

In all of my guides I make it very clear that 10.6.3 (or higher) MUST be used.

If you look at your screen shot you can see: Mac OS version: 10A432

You need: Mac OS version: 10D575

EVERYONE needs to be working with this version (or higher).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

@mammoth

i tried your Boot CD with and wihout "busratio=17"

and the machine instantly restart !!!

Then next thing we need to determine is the actual version of the OS X DVD you are using.

HERE IS HOW TO KNOW WHAT VERSION YOUR OS X DVD IS:

First, you can't read an OS X Installation DVD in Windows, you will need a Mac / Hack.

1) Insert the DVD.

2) Once it comes up, in Finder, select it on the far left side (under Devices).

3) Right click on it and then choose "Get Info". The version will be shown there.

hello to everyone, today I encounter a problem I never seen , some of my application fail to open or run . I have not done anything to the system or updated anything , it seems that some of apps are 32 bits apps , but others that are 32 bits are working , so I do not know what the problem could be ! :)

I have run Pfix, and repair permission on drive , but it does not helps .

Any help would be appreciated .......

HP DV8t-1100 | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD

@mammoth

my bad brother let me get my hand on 10.6.5 in 1 day. and i will get back to you! and out of curiousity is there any way to update my install DVD to 10.6.3? so basically update my install DVD from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3?

@mammoth

my bad brother let me get my hand on 10.6.5 in 1 day. and i will get back to you! and out of curiousity is there any way to update my install DVD to 10.6.3? so basically update my install DVD from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3?

Hi KiD KuN,

No problem; it happens. However I don't think Apple released 10.6.5 as a retail DVD, only as an update. When I said "10.6.3 (or later)" I meant that technically and pertaining only to retail releases. The next possible retail release from Apple -could- come with 10.6.6, and that could be within the next couple weeks.

Unfortunately there is no way to "slipstream" OS X (update a DVD from one version to another) as we can do with Windows. There was something called Slipy, at one time, for OS X, but development stopped on that a long time ago.

OS X 10.6.3 is only $30.00 from most stores, so it's worth just buying and being done with it.

hello to everyone, today I encounter a problem I never seen , some of my application fail to open or run . I have not done anything to the system or updated anything , it seems that some of apps are 32 bits apps , but others that are 32 bits are working , so I do not know what the problem could be ! ;)

I have run Pfix, and repair permission on drive , but it does not helps .

Any help would be appreciated .......

HP DV8t-1100 | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD

You could try starting up with the boot kernel flag: -f

Note that when you do this, once the OS X GUI does come up, your mouse and/or trackpad, may NOT be functional. This is OK at this point. Just press and release the power button and you should have the option to shutdown the machine. Just press Enter to do this. Then start the machine normally and see if the problems have been fixed.

@Mammoth

No problem, i shall buy the DVD and get back to you. But i will update you after 2days as its new years and i have to go to my grandmas for a while! so hope that is okay :-)

No problem and thanks for the update! ;)

Have an awesome, GREAT New Year (and tell grandma Mammoth says "HI!").

;)

@Mammoth

will do for sure. though she is 92, i will take time and explain to her the OSx86 project and let her know about you :unsure:

Maybe she'll have some insights about the AppleHDA.kext problems we have. :P

First off, sorry your holiday present is a little late...

Ok, once I realized that the HP DSDT methods are badly written, I wrote my own method and the AppleACPIBatteryManager can now calculate remaining time correctly. I fixed a few things in the driver, but there are still some logic bugs but I wanted to release it and get some people testing it. I still think we can do much better than this (eg. vanilla AppleSmartBatteryManager) but its a start.

I started a new topic for this driver so we don't high-jack Mammoth's original thread and make it even more "mammoth" than it already is! :unsure:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241186

Enjoy!

2010-12-29 - 02:15 PM GMT -8:00

PROGRESS REPORT ON v1.20 Installation Guide and CD

As most are aware, BETA testing has begun on the new CD. We still need i3 and i5 testers, so please read the post below about that if interested in being a BETA tester.

With the major groundwork now laid and with the BETA testing of the new Mammoth Installation CD underway, I have begun writing the new guides.

You may have already surmised that all of this work will most likely not be completed by January 1, 2011, and I would have to agree. While it is still feasible, I don't think it's likely. The truth is, even if I could have it all ready for the 1st, there are some things going on at Apple that are good enough reason to hold off on the release.

Apple is about to release OS X 10.6.6 and this will probably be on January 6th, or sooner. I am REALLY hoping they will be releasing this not only as an update, but as a Retail DVD release. That would be REALLY great news for us. The guide would be much simpler and shorter if we could use a retail 10.6.6 DVD to install. No big combo updates, and who knows what other issues could be resolved. But whether 10.6.6 is released as an update or DVD, we will still need a new 10.6.6 kernel, so hopefully Taptun can help us out with that again! :P Also, I want to get us the latest AppleHDA patched kext for our audio. This means the guides AND Installation CDs will need to be updated. So you see, it doesn't make sense to put out a new release without it including 10.6.6 in it.

There are also a few things several of us are working on that aren't ready yet, such as our battery solution, more DSDT work, the GenericBrightness.kext, and a few other items.

So at this time I think late January 2011 is a realistic projected time frame when we might have everything ready.

I want this to be a very solid release and to provide a lot of improvements over the previous releases, so please remain patient. It's a lot of work by a lot people to make this all happen, so it just takes time.

Thanks!

Mammoth

First off, sorry your holiday present is a little late...

Ok, once I realized that the HP DSDT methods are badly written, I wrote my own method and the AppleACPIBatteryManager can now calculate remaining time correctly. I fixed a few things in the driver, but there are still some logic bugs but I wanted to release it and get some people testing it. I still think we can do much better than this (eg. vanilla AppleSmartBatteryManager) but its a start.

I started a new topic for this driver so we don't high-jack Mammoth's original thread and make it even more "mammoth" than it already is! :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241186

Enjoy!

This is great work Gsly! Thank you very much. :D

I will test it right now actually.

Maybe she'll have some insights about the AppleHDA.kext problems we have. :unsure:

HAHAHA!

OK, new version of DSDT AutoPatcher for DVx - this time I'm putting the whole package out, as some people didn't know how do deal with just the patch file.

This one includes the DSDT patch by gsly so that his AppleACPIBatteryManager works.

Thanks gsly!

http://improwizuj.pl/temp/DSDT-Patcher-Lin...-Win-HP-DVx.zip

Unpack, run, select HP DV6 or DV8 depending on your version and go.

Again, make sure to use raw DSDT (so under Windows or Linux), and if you must patch it under Mac, boot the machine without any DSDT.aml in /Extra at all.

Hi all,

Mammoth, thanks for the option to beta test here are my results:

1) Fresh 60gb drive no partitions, bootet with the beta cd and received the error after a little while: still waiting for root device?

2) Restarted machine, booted the cd properly and then managed to boot a 10.6.3 disk and boot to installer, booted to disk utility and tried to partiton disk, was unable to make the Cham partition smaller as suggested but proceeded anyway.

3)Smooth installation with no key presses, just mouse movement on screen blanking.

4) Installation completed in 20 mins, restart with your boot cd and booted into a fresh install on the HD.

5)Followed instructions in guide, but skipped installing legacy kernel, just went straight to installing 10.6.4 then kokomal kernel.

6) No kernel panics on restart but Cham didn't install properly?

7) followed guide again and tried to reinstall cham but again failed.

8)Reformatted drive and reinstalled from scratch to make sure it wasn't some silly error, still stuck at same point again with installing chameleon

Could you please check the file is correct on the cd or if I'm making a basic error? Happy to format drive and try again.

Thanks.